Adam | Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room
Oregon, United States
hairofthedog.com

Style: Old Ale

A re-creation of an historic beer style originally made in Dortmund, Germany. Adam was the first beer produced by Hair of the Dog.

10% alcohol by volume
50 IBUs.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

Ratings: 2,461 |  Reviews: 1,022
3.1/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

That old fetid swamp water kind of appearance, brown, plenty of solid particulate floating all over, is it yeast? Something else? Dunno, I get that its an old ale, but even for that style, this was just below average in its appearance methinks. Moving on to the aromas, you got some soaked prunes, raisins, alcohol heat, plum. You know that dark fruit bitter harsh with alcohol almost quad like thing without the yeast phenols??? Yeah that.

Kicked down sweetness unexpectedly out of nowhere on the first sip, kinda tripped me out. Didn't see that coming. The alcohol heat was immense. Brown and chocolate malt in a small way feels. Its really a beer that I prefer to have in very small quantities. I've had it numerous times now, and I think the least enjoyable was when I had all 12oz to myself, that was a chore. Now, split a bottle 4 ways, and a 3 oz pour is more of this beer's kind of jam. Its just too boozy hot for drinking solo for my tastes. Maybe if you wanna just sip one beer the entire night, then I might go for this, but otherwise, can't see repeating.

3.1/5  rDev -26.7%

Small bottle from K&L (Redwood City), poured into a snifter glass.

A: Black, or at least very, very dark brown. Creamy, tan head, with good retention.

S: Roastiness, leather, rubber.

T: Caramel, raisins, something burned that I can't quite put my finger on. There's a little sourness that shines through, which I like. A little roastiness and a bitterness remain in the aftertaste.

M: Smooth and creamy. Heavy-bodied but not a completely slow-sipper. For some reason, left me with a dry mouth... but maybe that was caused by something else.

O: Interesting and complex, but not something I'd buy again.

3.12/5  rDev -26.2%

Poured into a snifter

A - Very deep brown bordering on black, minimal head composed of big nonuniform bubbles, zero lacing.

S - Leather, magic marker, tobacco, bourbon, oak, port, figs, plums and alcohol. No trace of what I know to be hops and a bizarre characteristic from the malt that I'm not familiar with.

T - Taste is exactly like the smell: leather, magic maker, dark fruits, tobacco and bourbon. Kind of sweet but all of those flavors come through really strong.

M - Medium with zero carbonation, isn't very enticing.

D - I honestly didn't know what to expect going into this beer and I'm perplexed coming out the other side. Really overwhelming and distinct flavors coming out of this, a lot of characteristics that I would not associate with beer at all. Maybe I'm a noob and I don't know what to expect from the style but from what I've read it lives up to every aspect. If I ever have this again I'll split with at least 4 people interested in drinking a cigarette stuffed puree of Fonzie's jacket.

3.14/5  rDev -25.8%

Bought this bottle at the wonderful Pinocchio's Beer Garden. (Not aged, presumably bottled in 2010).

Appearance- Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a regular pint glass. Pours out of the bottle dark and settles in the glass dark but I didn't get any sort of head. Basically just a thick looking almost black old ale sitting in my pint glass, kind of looked flat.

Smell- Smelled highly of dark fruits. I get the most tremendous whiff of plum. Also a bit figgy and sweet. There is also the lingering smell of alcohol which is understandable with a ten percent brew.

Taste- High on the alcohol, burns a bit going down to be honest. The dark fruitiness is there but it seemed overpowered by the alcohol. It's possible that it might be a little more palatable with some time on it.

Mouthfeel- I don't think that I have a sensitive tongue or anything and I felt the burn of the alcohol while it was sitting in my mouth. I did think the thickness felt kind of ideal for an old ale though.

Drinkability- I would have a hard time drinking one of these. I would also have as hard time standing after drinking more than one of these. A little too much alcohol burn for my taste, will have to try it aged.

3.16/5  rDev -25.3%

A - pour is subtle. Head is nice straw color. Brew is nice deep purple.

S - Super vanilla. Lots of wood funk too! Perhaps a little mango or papaya?

T - Lots of dark oakey flavor... Very deep and pulling. Lots going on on this brew. Can't really put my finger on any of it though...

M - Lots of HEAT! Minimal carbonation and very bitter (slightly licorice) after taste.

O - A mild mess of a brew... There's a TON of flavor, but it's very hard to differentiate... Worth trying and finding, but I would let it sit for a LONG time! I hope to upgrade this review in time.

3.17/5  rDev -25.1%

Bottle shared by Eric - cheers fella!

Rich brown pour with just under a finger of off-white head. Some lace spots as it drops to a film. Nice aroma combines brown sugar, earth, alcohol, dates and a hint of leather. Real nice and intriguing. Flavour not so much. Smoke, leather and ink make for an interesting beer, but do nothing for me, and I find the taste slightly unpleasant, which is surprising as I usually dig old ales. The elements I do like are present (Dark fruits, brown sugar, warming alcohol), but they're interrupted to often to gain any traction. Certainly the most leathery tasting beer I've had, and maybe I just don't get it. Body and mouthfeel is more or less where it should be for the style, with a heavy weight and restrained carbonation.

I've not had much success with Hair of the Dog, and I struggle to see the basis for their great reputation. This made for an interesting beer, but interesting isn't always good.

3.21/5  rDev -24.1%

12oz bottle, Batch #84, into Bruery tulip.

A - Pours dark brown, huge frothy kaki-colored head, sticky lace, big cap.

S - Sweet dark fruits, oak, booze. Not quite as sweet as I was expecting. The oak and booze are pretty powerful at this point, it's obvious to me I should have aged this bottle a bit more.

T - Dark fruits, big oak, some char notes, astringent, and a bit medicinal. The booze isn't quite as bad as I thought it was going to be. Finish is medicinal notes, and oak'd dark fruit.

M - Full, perhaps a touch too much carbonation for me, dry oak finish.

O - Now I know to age my bottles of Adam for quite some time before digging into them. I've had several from the late 90's that were mind-blowing, but fresh, this isn't my cup o' tea.

3.22/5  rDev -23.9%

12oz bottle poured into a Cantillon wine glass.

Batch 76. Hair of the Dog offers a vintage guide to date their various batches of Adam, but it mysteriously stops after batch 59... The trend so far is that they brew roughly 5 batches a year, so this was probably bottled in 2005 or somewhere around that.

A - I began pouring this gently to keep the bottle conditioned yeast in the bottle, but after I didn't see ANY head activity, I tried to do it a bit harder. All my effort was in vain, however, as there is absolutely no head or carbonation to be seen here. It actually gives some still lambics a run for their money. Retention, therefore, is not applicable, and the lacing is invisible as well. There are some slight alcohol legs making their presence known, though! The body itself is a dark brown mixed with purple.

S - Thankfully the smell is better than the appearance. There's a good amount of alcohol solvency in here, but for the most part it's covered by dark fruits, tobacco, chocolate and caramel malts. The tobacco even leads to some slight smokiness, and it gives hints of burnt brown sugar.

T - The flavors are definitely a branch of the nose, albeit a bit more simple and even watered down. It starts with a boozy, rum-soaked raisin flavor, before quickly transitioning to wet tobacco and earthiness. The smoky qualities return here, although they are not as enticing as in the nose and is more of a nuisance. It finishes with a bit of a chocolate and caramel, before turning to an almost acrid, solvent alcohol burn.

M - The mouthfeel is easily the worst part of this beer. It's completely flat and still, and while the beer is cold it doesn't detract too much, but when this beer hits room temperature, the feel of this beer plummets. It's flavors are too syrupy to deal with without some carbonation, and it just seems to sit on the palate.

D/O - Drinkability is moderately low. I was really looking forward to this beer, and although I've heard of Hair of the Dog's carbonation problems, this was my first beer from them. It's a shame it is still as I definitely think this beer would be tasty with some carbonation. If this is on tap around you, check it out, but at the price they charge around me for a bottle, it's just too much risk to try again.

Rating: 2/3.5/2.5/1/2.5
---

I was sent another bottle of this since my first one was obviously off. Thanks a ton, msubulldog25 for this! I will average the scores for the overall ranking,

Batch #81.

A - Right away the appearance is leagues better than my first encounter with this beer, and it actually has a bit too much lively carbonation (but I will definitely take that compared to the flatness of the first). Amazing retention as well, with huge bubbles and a rocky texture that turns creamy as it fades. The lacing is sticky as well, with thick clumps of foam clinging haphazardly all around the glass.

S - Really interesting nose on here again. It actually seems to be a bit hotter in the way that the alcohol comes through. It's sweet as well with the malts, and there's a lot of dark fruits and sugar. Again, I'm getting some dry tobacco leaves and brown sugar.

T - The richness of the nose continues into the flavor, with the alcohol again playing a large role. Caramel malts and chocolate are abundant, with an alcohol-soaked raisin and cherry taking a reign as well. It's earthy and somewhat smokey with a long, sweet, alcoholic finish.

M - Mouthfeel is much better than before, but it still is fairly thin especially for the amount of flavor this beer is pushing. Would have loved to see this be a bit more full-bodied. Leaves a sweet finish on the palate.

D/O - Drinkability is moderately high. It's a night and day comparison between this batch and the one I had before, but there are still some negatives that are keeping me from loving this. For one, it is pretty hot and the alcohol lasts from start to finish. Secondly, it's a bit thinner than I would've liked. Still, definitely helps my perception of Hair of the Dog.

Rating: 4/3.5/4/3/3.5

3.23/5  rDev -23.6%

Poured into a snifter.

Pours a deep, inky black with a light tan creamy head that drops to a thin wisp, with some lacing.

Aromas of dark fruits, prunes, figs, rum raisins, some anise, and a hint of mint.

Flavors of tobacco, anise, mint, barnyard. No hop flavors to speak of. Finish is short, but tobacco flavor lingers on.

Mouthfeel is big, chewy, malty.

Not my cup of tea. Had this years ago. Trying it again, but not really digging it.

3.23/5  rDev -23.6%

Originally sampled on 1 June 2002. I am writing this review from my notes. It poured with a huge head. It's very sweet. As others have noted, it would go well w/ chocolate. Also, the alcohol is very apparent. It does have a sweet taste to it. This is a unique brew.

3.26/5  rDev -22.9%

on tap at Redbone's

Deep smooth chestnut with low, dense tan head. Caramel scent. Thick caramel with smoky tones that take on a touch of creosote toward the end. The smoke makes it intriguing, but I'm not interested in having another. A hair on the syrupy side. Subtle warming that's just what you need on a freaking cold evening.

3.27/5  rDev -22.7%

A- Crazy head that is brown. The beer is very dark with no activity under the big head. A dark amber almost black.

S- Simple semi sweet smell.

T- Sweet with a bitter end. There are also some smoke tones through out.

M- Tangy with some activity, overall nice.

D- Goes down good if its a bit warmer.

This is a prime example of trying a beer a different tempatures, I started with this one too cold on accendent and I was really put off by it and I almost drained it, but I gave it a chance to warm up I left the room did other things. When coming back to it just slightly colder then room temp if not room temp and it was a much better beer. I started my review over from the smell point with the warmer beer.

3.29/5  rDev -22.2%

12 oz into snifter

L - Pours deep mahogony with no head or lacing
S - dried apricots, dates and rasins.
T - More dried fruits, with a hint of spice and soft oxidized sherry. Very sweet
F - Zero carb. dead flat. Otherwise moderate body, but feels much heavier without the spritz

Overall, a promising beer that is completely let down by the carb. struggled to drink this, as it was sweet and felt very heavy without the carb

3.3/5  rDev -22%

No freshness date, murky brown pour, sediment everywhere. Raisin, plum and alcohol heat aroma.

Super sweet and strong, seemed like I was taking a shot of rum and pucker. . . cloying. Currant taste, with tastes of chocolate or cocoa nibs underneath it. Tobacco. Lots of complex flavors, but the alcohol and the meld of the flavors just don't jive for me. Everything is in here but the kitchen sink (and hops).

I don't see what all the hubub is.

EDIT: Had another bottle with elrogish, much better, cleaner.

3.3/5  rDev -22%

12 oz bottle into pint glass.

A - Pours a nice dark brown but with an ugly soapy white head that is only present as a tiny thin wisp.

S - Smoke and leather, some fig. A bit boring.

T - Sweet figgy booziness and a leathery smokiness. Finish is the leather and some of the smoke.

M - Really bad. The beer finishes by coating the mouth in a strange, waxy way. Medium body.

D - Easy to drink for a 10%, goes down easy. The worst part is the mouthfeel, which is very offputting. A massive disappointment.

3.31/5  rDev -21.7%

12oz bottle thanks to bluebetty!

Nice deep brown appearance, pouring with a decent head of lightish foam (for the colour of the base liquid).

Earthy aroma, more muted than anticipated, some background malt as well.

Slight bit of fortified port flavour hits, along with some plum. Understated as well given the strength of the beer itself.

Good filling size body to the beer, nice bit of creaminess. Alcohol is well hidden.

My most anticipated of the two Hair of the Dog brews tonight was a touch disappointing. More sedate than expected. Fortunately a nice feel and size made up for a lack of perceived flavour and aroma.

Adam from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room