Adam | Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room
Oregon, United States
hairofthedog.com

Style: Old Ale

A re-creation of an historic beer style originally made in Dortmund, Germany. Adam was the first beer produced by Hair of the Dog.

10% alcohol by volume
50 IBUs.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

Ratings: 2,473 |  Reviews: 1,029
3.37/5  rDev -20.3%

Love the bottle, as usual. Adam pours out looking absolutely great. Deep, dark, voluptous, with a very energetic head. It takes quite some time to get most of the bottle into the glass. The head is creamy, fluffy, comprised of very fine carbonation that sticks, forming creative shapes and intricate lacing.

Toffee greets the drinker upon taking a sniff; Depite being properly warmed, very little scent is available; Perhaps the head does a bit too good of a job of trapping released volatiles. There's definitely some roasted barely in there, a hickory smell - rich, like damp wood on a fire.

Very malty, with a lot of butterscotch and toffee tones; Roastiness is present as well, coming in with a slight bitter cocoa and straight espresso. Before they can get too heavy, the hops take over, bittering with a smooth, almost Noble, full-leaf hoppiness. After swallowing, some significant diacetyl characteristics stick around on the tongue.

Mouthfeel is smooth, rich, and very heavy. There's a very nice transition in the mouth's perception of malt, then hops, and the finish tastes sweet, but feels bitter.

I think this beer is close to being something great. It's got some rather interesting characteristics that just aren't cultured enough to really show through. I think it would be great with a few slices of smoked ham and some dark brown bread.

3.39/5  rDev -19.9%

Batch 64

Deep brown. Porter like with a rapidly fading cream colored head. No light penetrates this beer.

Smells like malty OJ!?! Chocolate pokes through as well.

Sweet, smoky and chocolatey. Slight hints of caramelized sugars and raisins. Bitter enough to nearly stand up to the malt, but not much past balancing hops. There is a slight tartness right in the middle.

Adam is thick and not as carbonated as I would like for this beer.

A good beer to sip on and enjoy, but just too damn much for more than two.

An old ale... I don't think so. Their website calls it an historic german style that is no longer produced. Overall a nice beer to help chase away another rainy day.

3.39/5  rDev -19.9%

A- This is how a beer should look. Murky reddish black with a tan 2 finger head which stays for a while and leaves a crapload of lacing as it goes down.

S- Smell is strangely absent, a bit of roasted malt, can't detect much else.

T- Starts off deep and malty, the roasted malts take front stage but behind them is definitely a complex malt bill. This leads into a hoppiness that seems a little too strong, probably with time this one will lose most of the hops and really shine with the malts, I suspect it is a little young. Slight alcohol notes at the end. The main beef I have with this one is it just doesn't taste like an old ale which was what I wanted. Not bad, just not my cup of tea.

M- Medium viscosity, lots of carbonation. I assume the carbonation will fade with time.

D- This one is a nice beer to sip on. I think I would give it at least a year or two in the future. Seems like an old ale and a stout mixed to me but what do I know.

3.41/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Aroma: Boozy fruit, and lightly sweet
Appearance: No head ?!? Darkbrown, cloudy on the pour
Taste: heavy cloying sweetness, lightly bitter
Palate: light body, thin oily slick mouthfeel, flat, astringent, finish
Overall: An odd, off-beat beer. The lack of head on a vigorous pour hints that something was not quite right with my sample. The aroma and taste was unique and sweet, indeed a desert beer if there ever was one!

3.42/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Sampled on 7-15-10

Pours an extremely deep brown color, almost black, with blood red around the very edges. A thin head quickly fades, leaving a slick single ring of lacing.

Smell is all boozy sweet malt. A little aged, a little funky, aromas of molasses and black licorice dominate. Strong, complex, and very daunting.

Taste is exactly like the smell. Hardcore malt and alcohol, and a medicinal edge that I can't place. I think it's an odd combination of the booze and hops, and its very off-putting. Complex, but hard to get down.

Mouthfeel is thick, slick, and creamy. It fits the extreme flavor.

Drinkability is poor, odd flavors and harshness are a fatal combo.

Overall, I expected better, but I guess I'm just spoiled.

Hair of the Dog - Adam

Pours a rich dark brown. Complex aroma of caramel malts, whiskey, wood and vanilla. Some alcohol lofts in as well. In the taste, barleywine like with a strong boozy note. Earthy hops are not afraid to show themselves. This was a 2010 vintage but whew, a strong one. Every bit of the 10%abv is noticed. Mouthfeel is full bodied and the alcohol sticks witgh you. Overall, young, this beer is very hot. Id like to see what some time would do to this one.

3.44/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very dark brown colour with no head. Disappointing.

Slightly vegemitey, alcohol, chocolate, slightly nutty and a touch fruity.

Intense alcohol, very sweet, moderate bitterness, a touch roasty with some chocolate.

Medium body with moderate carbonation. A touch hot.

Interesting beer. I'm not sure it hits all the right notes for me as the alcohol, sweetness and vegemite are all just a touch rough.

3.45/5  rDev -18.4%

Sample at David Copperfields in Manhattan NY from owner, fellow Bronxite.

A: Red & black, not sure about head and lacing as small sample.

S-Sweet candies, unable to discern which however.

T- Malt first followed by hops. High ABV noticable very quickly but too strong, it is 10% after all. Not sure of the brew date but nothing like a Old Ale i've tasted prior.

M- Medium with heavy carbonation.

D-A good desset wine but not my style.

3.46/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I live in Portland and am only now getting around to trying this!

This is batch 92, which is maybe a little new. I gave it a good, not particularly gentle pour from the bottle into a traditional pint glass, and it has absolutely no head. The color is very dark brown, almost black. It's essentially opaque even when held to the light. The lack of head is odd.

I'll continue for those of you who haven't already moved on after reading that I poured it into a pint glass.

The smell is full, dark, 'round' - which matches the color well. I get the heavy malty qualities. Leather, soil, and chocolate seem reasonable. I also taste some raisin or prune and maybe root beer.

The flavor is similar. It really hits the back of the mouth with the malt and bitterness. There's a bit of ash in the flavor that I don't notice in the smell. Alcohol is forward and it is a bit… astringent, or pungent, maybe. There's a lot of sweet malt.

The carbonation is present but subtile. I think there's something not quite right about this batch considering that and the other reviews I've read for Adam. It's not bad at all but it's not as outstanding as I'd hoped. It feels flat and thin for a beer with this much flavor.

I might need to go down to the brewery and try this one on tap. It's worth another chance. It's solidly good but not my favorite. I've had other HOTD beers that I've liked better than this one. It would be improved with a little less forward alcohol, astringency, and a little more character in the body.

3.49/5  rDev -17.5%

3.49/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Huge rocky head with lots of tan foam and lace. Much more carbonation than I would expect from a high-alcohol/gravity brew.
Extreme dark brown almost opaque color. Closer to a stout than an old ale, INMHO.

Nice aroma filled with spice, alcohol, malt and yeast.

Taste is more spicy-hoppy than malty. Definitely less malt than I would have expected. Aftertaste of hop bitterness and some burnt raisins.

Nice mouthfeel and a decent sipping beer. Overall, this beer was way short of my expectations.

3.5/5  rDev -17.3%

A yeasty hoppy aroma with all kinds of hints of other things, a nice sweet malty blend of raisin banana lemon, almost like a weiss, thickish mouthfeel little bit of hop bitterness in the aftertaste, a complex sweetness lingered till the end.I seem to feel this is a great brew, but the blend just isn't something I'm into right now.

Adam from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room