Adam | Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room
Oregon, United States
hairofthedog.com

Style: Old Ale

A re-creation of an historic beer style originally made in Dortmund, Germany. Adam was the first beer produced by Hair of the Dog.

10% alcohol by volume
50 IBUs.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

Ratings: 2,466 |  Reviews: 1,025

4.46/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is the beer that started it all. Not 1001 Bottles, but my friendship with Erick Engel. I saw Erick post about Adam on Google+ and asked if he would be interested in a trade. Long story short, he was… And that traded turned into several bottles before we were done. This was a unique trade, too. Erick is from San Diego, but was going to be in the Valley for a baseball tournament. Why would he bother shipping the beers when he could deliver them IN PERSON! We made plans to meet at Four Peaks, and did the trade right there at the table. It was amazing.

During our trade the manager at Four Peaks came over and asked what we were doing. At first, I was worried he wouldn't allow us to trade at the table. Better yet, he brought Erick some stickers, some coasters, and invited everyone to the brewery for a tour of the brewing facility. We left there, headed to Fate and the rest is… Well, fate! It was a great way for us to land this bottle.

I am a bit fan of Hair of the Dog Brewing, and I know this beer is incredible. I first had this back in Indiana, but we can't get Hair of the Dog here in the desert. I can't thank Erick enough for making this bottle possible. Erick, this one is for you… The one that started it all. Cheers, buddy!!!

In the Glass: Whoa… Didn't expect that much head. I am getting a fist of head on this one. Granted, Sheryl's pour was perfect. Oh well, this needs to heat up a little, anyway. The beer is nice a dark; a dark brown almost black color. The head is thick, and has a nice toffee color to it. The beer is producing a nice lace, too. I can't wait to drink this. Memories!

Nose: I am going to wait for the head to go down just a little bit. I don't want bubbles all up on my nose!

Sorry, I was distracted. I am busy chatting with David Rojo. He is going to be coming over in a few days to drink our bottle of Mexican Cake with us. He will also be bringing a bottle from his cellar for us to try. He was telling me some that he has to offer… And regardless of what he brings, I am pumped to try it. On to the nose.

Imagine a fig floating in a glass of scotch. That is what this smells like. It doesn't have a sweet aroma that you would expect from an Old Ale, but it does offer nice balance with obvious smokey goodness. The more I smell this, the more smoke I am getting. Oh, and the BeerAdvocate guys rated this a 99… So you know it's good!

Flavor: By the way, the lace is ridiculous on this beer. A good lace is a sign of a good beer.

Here we go. Oh. My. GOD! That is unreal. I mean, SO freaking good. I was chatting with Erick earlier tonight and he said he hadn't had his bottle of Adam yet. Erick… DUDE, drop what you are doing and drink this beer NOW!!! Oh, and Paul Tom Bennett from Facebook said, "That's stuff is liquid amazeballs!" That is one way to put it.

You get a nice smokey flavor up front, but then the sweetness that I was talking about shows up. Then, as you swallow and continue to swallow, the smoke just continues and leaves you with a nice drying finish. I could seriously drink a gallon of this beer. It's that good.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is great, and leaves a nice thick layer of flavor on my tongue. The beer, even at 10% ABV, is easy to drink, but the flavor is so good, I don't want this bottle to be over. I only get 6 ounces, but that is not enough! I am sure a keg of this, if they even make it, would be outrageous… But I would LOVE a pint of this on tap. I am just blown away with how good this beer is.

Aftertaste: The smoke continues, but as I sit here and continue to swallow, the smoke becomes a nice earthy dryness that is hard to forget. I said imagine a fig floating in a glass of scotch, and that thought is still with me. I do like scotch, and I really dig the pearty scotches from the Islay region.

If you like a nice thick high ABV beer that you can drink as your dessert, then this is the beer for you. We tried Fred, another beer from Hair of the Dog, many moons ago. I remember that bottle like it was yesterday, and I am so glad that we found a bottle of Adam. This bottle wouldn't be possible without Erick and his dedication to craft beer. This is what craft beer is all about!

Cheers, people!

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle into a snifter. Batch 88

Pours a dark brown with a half inch off white head. Smell is a mixture of malts, hops, smoke and booze. An interesting blend and from the nose you dont really know what to expect. The taste is so complex and interesting and unique. Big smokiness flavor up front, some burnt leather and chocolate mixed in, and even a bit of off-sweetness. Ends with a big alcohol / boozy kick. Wow. Full bodied, mild carbonation.

Overall this is a truly remarkable brew. Never had anything like this and I really dig it. Highly recommended.

4.4/5  rDev +4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle.

Batch # 88

Appearance - Pours a dark chocolate brown with a finger width of beige head.

Smell - Hops, smoke, roasted malts, dark fruits, alcohol (wine-like), molasses.

Taste - Hops, smoke, roasted malts (moderate level), dark fruits, molasses, red wine. Dry finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium to full bodied with light-to-moderate carbonation. Nice warming sensation.

Overall - An enjoyable complex old ale by Hair of the Dog. All the flavours are on par for the style and definitely an easy-sipping beer.

3.75/5  rDev -11.3%