Rolling Rock Extra Pale | Latrobe Brewing Co.

poor
poor
Read the review
Rolling Rock Extra PaleRolling Rock Extra Pale

Latrobe Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Using a time-honored recipe with only the finest malted barley and blend of hops, Rolling Rock is a classic American lager that is as well-known for its distinctive, full-bodied taste as it is for its craftsmanship, heritage and painted green bottle.

Full-flavored, with a subtle bite. Light-to-medium body and color. Brewed with only the choicest ingredients; a perfect blend of pale barley malt, rice and corn.

Added by Todd on 03-02-2001

Reviews: 804 | Ratings: 2,680

Back in the mid 60's (before craft beer was even an idea) in the Wash, DC area, you had to know a stewardess who flew to Colorado to get the "legendary" Coors beer. But we somehow found Rolling Rock (AKA "Rock n' Roll") in limited distribution from nearby Pennsylvania. I happened to travel to Amish country a lot and brought it back by the case. I was very popular when I got back! Now you can get it just about anywhere. Availability and craft brews have diminished much of its former mystique!

Like Coors, Rolling Rock originated from spring water, we called it East Coast Coors back then. For me, it's nostalgia. It's not a hop monster or an IPA. It isn't 8% alcohol. It's just a refreshing pre-micro brew beer. I was in the business for a while and, in the industry, beers were rated on "quaffability" - or "how easy to drink". Rolling Rock is highly quaffable and is a refreshing beer. Drink it cold like the spring water it's made from. Good to note, classic German beers historically had to have their artesian well water source certified before being licensed to produce. Just like coffee - you have to start with good water.

You can taste the grains and the clean water. It's cheap now, but was competitively priced back when - and Yuengling was on the cheap, because "no one" understood real German beer back then. Every dog has his day!

For me, Rolling Rock is not just a beer, it's a part of my youth. Easier times - no fancy brews, they were just good or not good. Rolling Rock was robust for its day and highly sought after on the East Coast. It still retains some of its historic mojo now, as confirmed by its rather favorable reviews here - for such an "un-craft" brew. I have one sitting on my desk right now - bought it on sale!

3.24/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

APPEARANCE - pale straw color with white head

Smell - corn, barley

Taste - like someone mixed Genny Cream Ale with Miller High Life

Mouthfeel - thin bodied, medium carbonation, bit of adjunct aftertaste, easy to drink

Overall - not quite as good as some of its bretheren in the category, but on its own, an inoffensive beer. Worth a shot if you are looking to drink on the cheap

Price point - $5.25/6 pk 16 oz cans

4.35/5  rDev +64.8%

This cereal drink is good. Place a can of it in the freezer for 30 minutes, so that when you flip it open the pressure change causes about an inch of slush on the top. Do this on a hot summer day and you will understand why this drink gets this rating.

Pretty decent cheap beer. Crispy, smooth and fun to drink, I'm beating myself in the face for not trying this one sooner. But better late than never! My new go to cheap beer.

Not being a beer snob (smell to rate a beer?) I highly recommend th e Rock to anyone who likes sitting under a tree on a hot summer day after mowing for an hour. Best if drunk out of the long neck bottle. This is beer for us average Joes!!

4.75/5  rDev +79.9%

Great beer to drink in hot weather. This beer has a good clear appearance, a very nice and crisp taste, no bitterness, no aftertaste and really nothing objectionable about it. It is actually sort of a bright tasting beer...sorry, but I don't know what other word to use. The lower alcohol level is a positive in hot weather, also. This is the sort of beer I think either a guy or girl should enjoy and I'm a bit ashamed of myself for not trying it sooner to be honest. It reminds me a little of the Corona I used to drink in Mexico in the 1960s...before they changed it. Back then you could drink as many Corona beers as you wanted on a hot Mexico day and never have a headache or hangover. If you weren't there, you won't be able to relate to that, but at one point Corona was remarkably different.

This is great with a bowl of Dutch pretzels, salted peanuts, pepperoni pizza, pistachio nuts, a cello pack of dried shrimp, a taco dinner or a hamburger with plenty of mustard, onions, pickles and tomatoes. If you have a tall glass, drop a couple of green olives or pickled onions or drink it with some pickled okra. It has a respectable amount of carbonation, but in hot weather you need to remember that really isn't a bad thing.

And the cost is a positive. Where I live you can get 30 cans for a bit under $20.

3.4/5  rDev +28.8%

Fresh and crisp when ice cold. This is my go to beer during the hot and steamy summers down in Florida. $9.49 for an 18 pack at the local Racetrac can't be beat.

2.53/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Clear yellow with the smell of corn. Tastes very sparkly with ever so slight flavor of actual beer. Nothing really offensive, but nothing outstanding , either.

3.89/5  rDev +47.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

My new favorite american adjunct lager, it beats out Schlitz and pbr by quite a bit for me. Very crisp and refreshing lightly sweet from the corn with a nice clean finish. Will definitely be keeping this on hand regularly.

2.62/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Man the first time I had this I was in heaven, Southern college girls, man I know what JulianB be sayin' about them college girls in South Carolina.

Super light appearance, yellow with lots of water, can't form a head. Aroma of seltzer water.

Taste is very pale, barley toasted 6 row, corn and maybe a tad of pale honey malt. Super light noble hops aided by prickly carbonation. Now made/owned by Inbev, but hey, still tastes the same as when brewed in Latrobe.

Devin baby, thanks for the good times.

2.99/5  rDev +13.3%

Pleasantly surprised by this one as I pregame the eastern conference semi-finals after a hard day's work. RR has the common golden appearance of an AAL, yet has a very nice look to it in my pint glass. Smell is very grainy with a slight hop appeal. Taste is simple with a clean finish. Better than I remember from my youth. Would drink again.

2.99/5  rDev +13.3%

This is a great beer after working in the yard or sports. Not too heavy, light taste, won't kill your appetite. Not a connoisseur beer, just light and refreshing. Get 4 16oz. at Wal-Mart for $3.57. Beats PBR hands down.

3.34/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Thin thin thin. Sometimes a blessing. Sometimes a curse. Smooth and not as corn syrup heavy as the usual AAL. But alas, it is an AAL so usual failings - over carbonated beer water -- apply. When warmed to even close to room temperature and drunk out of the can, becomes a bubbly mess which is sorta fun.

2.23/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Poured from a can, stored cold. Light metallic yellow with a thin white head. Nose minimal... maybe a little malt? Taste: peanuts! Why does this beer taste like peanuts, and then fade to nothingness? I have had this beer before but don't remember the peanut taste. Apparently this is what others are calling the corn flavor. Mouthfeel minimal. Just not a lot here other than the strange thin peanut flavor.

2.8/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours a clear pale steaw color with a one finger white head that disappates quickly. Aroma is pretty standard light lager, with corn, malt sweetness and very light bread dough. Taste follows with bread dough malt, sweetness, corn, and the faintest of floral hints. Mouthfeel is smooth, clean, and prickly with carbonation. Overall this is one of the better light lagers and a fond remembrance from college!

3.44/5  rDev +30.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours very bright with a good thick head fo white foam that lasts well, falls well to a thin layer and finally leaves. Color is pale and with yellow undertones. Mild nose with the light scent of sweet corn in the background, faint dms, golden scent from barley malt, cool dry breath from rice, hop floral. Taste is mild and there is no diacetyl, no fruity esters form yeast. Hops are not bitter they are clean and offer no flavor to the beer. Malt is not too light. Carbonation is just more than prickly. So small bubbles with a little bite not effervescent. perfect for the style. Rice adds crispness. The beer finishes softly, mild and dry. Excellent.

2.93/5  rDev +11%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Something different that isn't really different.

Lighter flavor AAL in a nostalgic package. Flavor isn't close enough to medium to make it worth a premium over PBR.
Light appearance and taste but so slight in hops or malt I just can't find anything distinctive about it.

Can't recommend it until they drop the price.

2.4/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Clear pale and yellow color with almost no head to speak of. Smells very sweet, but with no discernible character to the sweetness. Maybe a rice based sweetness, at best. It tastes lightly creamy and sweet, but even this is almost non-existent. There is zero aftertaste of any form. The feel is very carbonated, light and crisp. It meets expectations only in mouthfeel, in comparison to other macro adjunct lagers. I prefer many other macro lagers in terms of look, smell and tastes. The taste is just so nonexistent. That is maybe this beer's downfall as an exemplar macro adjunct - it just doesn't take a stand as anything. However, for someone who wants a crisp, cheap, barely sweet beer, it may be worth a try.

2.8/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Quitting the gut rotting malt liquor and opting to find something alot better. Heres for starts, & just discoverd this site, the reviews help alot. My 1st 6 pack-16oz cans at a pharmacy $6.14 ca'll it a steal. Poured into a clean kfc cup the tilt method. Very rich in color deeper than expected. 1st swig mmm refreshing than sip after sip you realize a not so flavorful beer. Maybe due to the high carbonation? Which i dont mind, i love bubbly. Theres a slight flavor but disappears real quick. But still a Very drinkable enjoyable beer & not filling. A beer i will try again, maybe paired with supper, or a Gourmet Burger.

2.93/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Tastes of biscuits and grain. I think this beer used to be better than it is now perhaps my tastes have become more complex or they just got bought out and the quality is not as good as it used to be.

2.14/5  rDev -18.9%

Poured from a bottle into a English pub glass, clear pale yellow no head, minimal lacing.

Smells like corn, minimal skunk smell but to be expected with the green bottle no real hop smell maybe some citrus

Taste very bland but not smooth...no aftertaste but a ton of carbonation, no real taste

Not bad just doesn't live up to the hype, would drink again but would not buy again

2.66/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12 fl oz. can, no canned on date. Finally getting around to ticking this one off the list. Single can given to me from a friend.

Poured to clear tulip-ish stemware.

A - Pale gold body, about a finger and a half of frothy white head that stays, leaving good fluffy lacing behind.

S - Aroma is still skunky and sweet, even without the trademark green glass bottle. Notes of grains, yeast, skunk and collard greens - green peas comes to mind, strangely enough. Yeah, cooked peas.

T - Taste is the same: creamy, grainy, wheaty, ricey. Definitely drink this stuff out of the can if you are going to drink it. Cooked green vegetables; *green peas*.

M - Feel is crisp & light. Easy-drinking.

Overall, definitely not the worst of the bigger macro name brands out there, I have definitely enjoyed a bottle or two of this stuff in the past, and I'm sure it will happen again.

Rolling Rock Extra Pale -----2.5/5

This is everything I want in a beer.

I usually buy it in bottles. Around here it runs about $5.97 for a 6 pack of bottles, $10 and some change for a 12 pack bottles and an amazing $13.57 for 24 pack of cans.

Now, I know what anybody would think-- it's in the same price range as Milwaukee Beast, Natural Light, and some other cheap, crappy varieties of beer, but let me tell you, there is a HUGE difference in taste.

First and foremost, it is the CRISPIEST beer I have ever had. So crispy, the carbonation is fantastic. It's always refreshing and extremely light. I would compare the body to something like a Bud Light, but without that flattened out, watered down taste Bud Light tends to have. Seriously, maybe it IS the green bottle, but I find it as crispy as drinking a soda, like a Sprite or a Fresca or a ginger ale or something of the sort.

Secondly, the AFTERTASTE--- one thing I have a huge problem with is a "yeasty" taste. I hate the taste of a super yeasty beer. The flavor lingers in your mouth long after you're finished drinking it and sometimes I can be so sick of a flavor like that I wish it would just go away. And not to mention, an "alcohol-y" taste lingering on your breath and on your tongue. Pretty much every beer I have EVER had has suffered from the above problems. And it is a huge problem for me because when I am done, I am done and I don't usually want to taste it anymore....

Not with Rolling Rock. This beer is amazing. It does not have that cheap "yeasty" taste, NOR does it leave that rubbing alcohol flavor in your mouth after you're done drinking it. I think some people may know what I mean, but I have trouble describing this in highly technical terms.

Also, I have NEVER suffered a headache or a hangover as a result of "overdoing it" (read: getting completely smashed) off of Rolling Rock, in cans OR bottles. Nor have I reached a point where I say to myself "I am absolutely SICK of tasting this beer."

Now, onto the whole bottles vs. cans debate. Here's my personal take on it: I get a little "drunker" (in that sloppy way) when I am drinking out of cans, this may be preferred by some people. I know SOMETIMES I do like this effect. Though, some may argue (even myself) that this is totally mental and has to do with the way you view "drinking out of a can." Maybe I associate drinking out of a can and crushing them after each one with a frat boy or trashy behavior, so maybe the effects I feel are related to how I view it.

As far as TASTE is concerned (bottle vs. can)... virtually, there is no DISADVANTAGE to drinking the canned version, but personally, I think I get a lot more of the subtle flavors from the bottled version. I do not know why this is, maybe it's just the way it pours into your mouth as you take a drink. I have not tasted any NEGATIVES (such as effects from the aluminum) in the canned version, so don't feel bad if you prefer to buy the 24 pack to be more cost efficient sometimes. This really is a GREAT beer (and I have tried many, again I'm no pro, but I know what I do NOT like in a beer and to avoid).

However, there is ONE MORE PRO to the bottled version as opposed to the canned version if we're going on taste alone.... and now, I don't even know HOW to explain this because I don't know enough about the brewing process to say and I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE if somebody else could relate to this, so I'm just going to throw it out there in case... even though it might sound absolutely insane, but the bottled version of Rolling Rock actually, at times, has subtle hints of CHOCOLATE. Yes, Chocolate. This is a Pale Ale. I have ONLY EVER tasted these notes in darker varieties and in stouts and like I said, maybe I'm not that experienced with the brewing process, but I thought porters and stouts were the only beers that could even HINT at these types of notes.

I know a lot of people probably judge this beer because of it's price... and you have every right to do so. But this beer has become SO BELOVED to me that I don't think I even ever want to try anything else. Like they say "If it's not broke, don't fix it." I have not read the reviews here yet, but based just on the BA score at the top, I think this beer gets a bad rap ONLY because people tend to think "good beer" comes at a larger price. I know, I know... some will say it all boils down to preference and maybe some people prefer cheap garbage, but I assure you.... this beer, as far as price is concerned, does NOT deserve to be in the same class as beers that run around the same rate. It's just not fair.

But it is fair that it is cheap and it's my favorite. I would absolutely love if people tried this beer or gave it another shot to see if they might pick up some hints of chocolate. I don't eat with my beer or anything like that so I can tell you it is NOT something that comes out with a pairing. It is strictly in the beer.

Also, ZERO BITTERNESS. NONE

I give it 100/5.

2.7/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Much better than the typical Bud Light, etc mass market fare. Not a craft beer, heck not even Heinekin but for under $5 a six pack, you can't go wrong. I call it a poor man's Heinekin.

2.63/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Latrobe Brewing Co. - Rolling Rock Extra Pale. 4.6% ABV. 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Bottled on 12/30/15 (code 15364).

Look: Settles with a pale gold body and small white cap of foam that settles into nothing. Looks like a ginger ale.

Smell: Just typical grain and corn sweetness. Very skunky.

Feel: Thin and watery feel, with a lot of carbonation. Easy to drink.

Taste: Nothing special, just barley/rice and corn, leaving that sickening lingering sweetness from it.

Overall: Just another American Adjunct Lager. Not expecting much from this, or anything from the style. What impacted the experience of this the worst is definitely the skunky smell, but I guess it comes from the green bottle.

Rolling Rock Extra Pale from Latrobe Brewing Co.