Rolling Rock Extra Pale

Gots
SCORE
Poor
Rolling Rock Extra PaleRolling Rock Extra Pale
Notes: Using a time-honored recipe with only the finest malted barley and blend of hops, Rolling Rock is a classic American lager that is as well-known for its distinctive, full-bodied taste as it is for its craftsmanship, heritage and painted green bottle.

Full-flavored, with a subtle bite. Light-to-medium body and color. Brewed with only the choicest ingredients; a perfect blend of pale barley malt, rice and corn.
View: Beers
Reviews: 926 | Ratings: 3,110 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
DaveNuge12

4.61/5  rDev +77.3%

Great product, poor quality control. Previous case has one deflated can which was still sealed. Current case has overpressurized cans. Going to go back to Corona.

May 10, 2020
LT5 from Georgia

Reminds me of vacation and a good time. Love the look of the glass, the taste and smooth refreshing enjoyment it brings to me! It may not be a top shelf beer, but it's top shelf in my refrigerator.

May 09, 2020
defunksta from Illinois

4.01/5  rDev +54.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

*Rating relative within the style of AAL*

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear, light lemon water color with a massive, white and foamy head. SRM of 6-7. (4.00)

Aroma: Light aromas of corn and cracker. Very white, pale, and light. Some tartness to it. Smells like it has a milkiness to it. (3.50)

Flavor: Light flavors of soggy, white crackers dissolved into water, but feels clean. A bit of skim milk. There is a touch of salt to give it a nice cleansing bite on the backend. Just enough yeast to finish clean. (4.25)

Feel: Light, watery, but strong carbonation. Skim milk, but carbonated. Just enough yeast to finish it clean off the palate. (4.25)

Compared to Pabst Blue Ribbon 4/20/20: Pours a lighter color. Milder and lighter aromas. More pale and watery. Less body odor, corn, and malts. Lighter and cleaner.

Overall: A pretty good drinking AAL. Lighter and cleaner at 4.4% ABV as expected. Finishes nice and clean though. Feels a bit like skim milk on the tongue and palate, but actually quite pleasant and surprised at this one. (Final Rating: 4.01

Apr 20, 2020
Bsimpson91 from Georgia

4.84/5  rDev +86.2%

A rare sight in my neck of the woods. Tasty to a point, enjoyable to a extent. Made to be paired with american fair. Its backyard Beer. Looks are a tell-all. One the most pale Lagers I've ever seen. Super Bright and clear Light Pale straw color, small bubbles floating about. Non lasting Cap. Smells a tad rank. Off the nose I get a very pungent stinky sour grain. Taste is Light and oddly simular to Bud Light and Michelob Ultra. I dare to say its a rebranded Bud Light. Off the top, Spring water flavor. Ultra Clean with slight hints of beer flavor. You can taste a light adjunct Malt. Not big on the Malt part. Yeasty White Bread is the star player here. Finish is smooth and tastes of more spring water. Easy to drink, Light on flavor. Feel is Poor, but acceptable. Not full bodied at all, rather watery at best. Carbonation is prickly, No creaminess or mouthfeel at all. Overall you can tell this Beer is ultra cheap. Light on the malt. mainly a drinking beer of the garden variety.

Apr 17, 2020
GregBookbinder

4.67/5  rDev +79.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Very surprised how good it tasted
Easy to drink
I need to find it in cans as the bottles are not brewed in glass lined tanks when it made in Pennsylvania
My beer tastes are very unique
I enjoy beer from SAMUEL Smith Oatmeal Stout and Guinness to Coors (not Coors Light but l will drink if l had to)

Apr 04, 2020
Pope_of_Beers from Tennessee

2.66/5  rDev +2.3%

Tried this for the first time this year. Meant to be a beer enjoyed while grilling or outdoors. Look has a golden color and smells like any pale brew would. Very refreshing and goes down easy. Who cares about feel. It's cheap and tastes good.

Mar 31, 2020
rudiecantfail from Pennsylvania

2.74/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

12 ounce can, poured into a pint glass.

L---Golden yellow color with a bright white head. Hear retention is minimal, but lacing is ok.

S---A little grain. A little skunkiness. A healthy chunk of grass.

T---Similar to the nose, grains & grass.

F---Light body with good carbonation. Goes down very easy.

O---It's a functional, cheap AAL. It's not great, by any means, but it's better than Budweiser, Bud Light, Miller Lite or Coors Light. And by a lot.

Mar 01, 2020
jkblr from Indiana

3.66/5  rDev +40.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

25oz can stamped 20008 (presumably canned 1/8/20) poured into a huge Spuds MacKenzie mug at fridge temp 4.4% ABV. The beer pours bright golden yellow with nearly white head. The head recedes to a thin cap and leaves a little lacing. The aroma is slightly yeasty, with some cream corn and sulfur. The taste is fairly nuetral with very faint grain, corn and a hint of vegetable oil in the finish. Minimal bitterness with just a touch of acid/tang. The mouthfeel is thin to medium bodied with above average carbonation and a mostly dry finish. Overall, good AAL. I'm sure my description didn’t sound tasty, but you really have to search for flavor and aroma in a beer like this. Would drink again, just not out of a green bottle.

Feb 22, 2020
RaulMondesi from California

Well, let’s go. Straight up at the Newport frat boy dive, Cassidy’s. And I’m ready to do it like Tom Brady in the red zone. Hut hut hike!

Thang ain’t that bad, actually. Now, I will say, I did just pound 4 White Claws... But it’s pleasant enough like life before I met my baby mama.

Peace!

Jan 18, 2020
puck1225 from Texas

2.73/5  rDev +5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 4

Had this for old time sake during my first visit to Pittsburgh in a. Long, long time (yeah, I don’t remember how long). Along with some great Pittsburgh pizza!

Very pale yellow, faintly sweet grassy smell. Doesn’t taste like much. But tasted wonderful for old time sake!

Enjoyed after helping get my sister and her dogs here all the way from Dallas for her new job.

Jan 11, 2020
Specialmick from Connecticut

3.44/5  rDev +32.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Look...pale yellow and looks like beer that you grew up on watching your dad drink in the seventies.
Smell....skunky hop.
Taste...Man I know its not much but I love this stuff with food and hot weather and I am really enjoying it with my antipasto...
Feel.... Usual expected watery crisp finish
Overall...sometimes I think you have to put your taste in perspective, i mean how good is a glass of water on a hot day and a sweat goin, same thing with beer context means a lot.
Don't think I really understand the poor rating I can think of many really bad beers that cost a great deal more

Dec 24, 2019
DamnBecker

3.6/5  rDev +38.5%

This beer will hit you from time to time as the best tasting thing you have ever had. Especially in the winter this beer has this light malty depth that can honestly taste like a sunrise evaporating dew off of flower pedals. Divine Shit! Other drafts of this bad boy can taste like they lost their gas. Move someplace where you can still get these pints for a dollar or two all day.

Dec 17, 2019
Beertsipper from New York

2.56/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

An easy drinking beer. Would be a good thirst quencher in the summertime. The color is a light yellow and the nose is water, cardboard, maybe some grains. taste is more corn, grains, but very subdued. Goes down easy and is cheap to purchase. From time to time I'll pick up this beer but I remember that it had a bit more taste to it twenty years ago.

Dec 03, 2019
SFC21 from Florida

2.73/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Pours a surprisingly pretty golden straw with a finger of head and nice lacing. Not much comes through on the nose or taste, just an easy drinking lager. But notably nothing offensive, just a clean beer. Easy to knock back

Nov 23, 2019
monkist from Hungary

4.57/5  rDev +75.8%

Man, I will never forget this beer! This was THE beer that changed everything for me back in the 90s, at least what beer was concerned. At that time back in Hungary we had nothing but what you might call “Euro” (adjunct) lagers or bad quality German beer at best - honestly I hated both and thus never enjoyed drinking beer as such. But then when they started selling Rolling Rock back in my hometown, I was just stoked. This was the first thing that had a hoppy feel to it (although it must have been skunked) and it was relatively low on bitterness and extremely drinkable. This was way before Heineken or Stella came about. Was only sold for a couple of years, not sure why it disappeared - just like Wendy’s, KFC and Pizza Hut off the Hungarian market (the latter two managed to find their way back but Rolling Rock never surfaced again). My ratings are from back in the day when I thought this beer was awesome - would love to drink it again and see how much the world (or rather, me) has changed.

Nov 10, 2019
jrc1093 from Connecticut

3.38/5  rDev +30%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Can bottom reads '19191NB1848' (presumably canned on 7/9/19)

Pours a crystal clear pale straw yellow body capped with a large, foamy, bone-white head of foam; decent retention fades to a frothy cap and minimal/no lacing.

Aroma shows plenty of sweet, defined honeyed grain with some earthy/floral accents; cereal and snappy straw and grass integrate quickly; a very solid definition to this bouquet, all things considered.

Taste is predominantly sweet grains, with light grass and a touch of medicinal bread on the back end; listlessly clean finish while metallic sweet grain lingers through the swallow.

Mouthfeel shows a medium-light body propped up with ample, airy carbonation; clean, save for the light, grainy tingle along the mid-palate into a thin finish; slight gummy lingering in the throat, but not as detracting as in other AALs.

Some surprisingly definition to the aroma leads into an expectedly light and innocuous flavor profile; this leads into an AAL with few noticeable, lingering flaws and a pleasant, easy-drinking experience. An upper-tier AAL for sure.

Nov 04, 2019
UristMcBrewer from Florida

1.55/5  rDev -40.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

The color isn't bad, an expect pale golden. But this is somewhat more appealing than other beers like it. The head is ephemeral but leaves some lacing. The smell is unpleasant and not much like anything else I've smelled from a beer. There isn't a describable hop characteristic. The taste has adjuncts without hoppiness. It is not bitter at all. The mouthfell is light but not extremely light; it is there. The carbonation works well with this beer. This is an off-tasting beer in short.

Nov 04, 2019
Stevosps

3.91/5  rDev +50.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

This is one classic beer! When poured from a can it holds a 1/4 inch head. It is clear and golden in color .It has a light hops aroma with a full body taste. It is a solid smooth full body lager that has the same flavor now as it did in years past. It's not heavy but refreashing for hanging out or after a tough days work. Grab one with a friend and enjoy !!!

Oct 26, 2019
Ki_H_nakai from Florida

3.8/5  rDev +46.2%

i can't help but love this beer, reminds me of being 18 and getting crazy on Saturday nights. This brew will always hold a special place in my heart. Even now i can't ask for a better beer after a hard days work.

Oct 02, 2019
jwirick

Absolutely THE WORST "beer" I've EVER tasted! I have TRIED to drink a bottle of this on several occasions and simply COULDN'T! smells and TASTES worse than how I'd imagine pond water is!
DISGUSTING!

Sep 24, 2019
kopper65 from Missouri

2.06/5  rDev -20.8%

Someone said Rolling Rock is a step above PBR, but I'd have to emphatically disagree. I would happily drink PRB or even Stag (which is my go-to budget lager these days). I just do not enjoy this beer. It tastes terrible to me and I can't figure out why. And unlike most other beers I've had, I will usually get accustomed to the flavor with the more beers that I drink, which is not the case with Rolling Rock. It just never tastes better. The aftertaste is also annoying. I just don't enjoy anything about it.

Sep 19, 2019
Lgood24 from Texas

4.06/5  rDev +56.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.25

I think too many millennials that have forced themselves to like IPA’s because it’s a fad have unjustly rated this low. To put it simply, this is a great go to beer on a hot summer day, in cooler weather I like a good stout, but this is close to perfection for summer.

Sep 17, 2019
JohnECab

1.96/5  rDev -24.6%

This beer is a step above PBR. It pours with a white head that disappears quickly. It reminds me of Modelo Especial but with less flavor. It kind of tastes like Budweiser. The flavor is weak and has a hint of skunk to it. The only thing I enjoy about it is the nostalgia of my childhood in Pennsylvania hanging plastic bags of cans of Rolling Rock and Yuengling out the window during the winter to keep it cold. It's not too bad on a hot day, and it is very easy to drink quickly. There is nothing special about this beer though.

Sep 16, 2019
rclangk from West Virginia

2.84/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Rolling Rock was my “every day” beer until they sold out to Anheuser-Busch in 2006. Until recently, I don’t believe I’ve had one since. I’m very disappointed in the overall lack of flavor. My taste in beer has probably changed since 2006, preferring lagers and stouts, so perhaps the beer tastes as it did pre-2006. The bottom line is, this may be an enjoyable brew if you prefer very light beers.

Sep 05, 2019
SAUbrewcrew from Michigan

1.53/5  rDev -41.2%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.25

Extraordinarily... terrible. Looks like it would be enjoyable, but it is not at all. The smell is completely skunked out and it is hard to find even the smallest quality in this beverage. Worst AAL I have tried by far.

Aug 19, 2019
Rolling Rock Extra Pale from Latrobe Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 62 out of 100 with 3110 ratings