Rolling Rock Extra Pale | Latrobe Brewing Co.

poor
poor
Read the review
Rolling Rock Extra PaleRolling Rock Extra Pale

Latrobe Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States
rollingrock.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Using a time-honored recipe with only the finest malted barley and blend of hops, Rolling Rock is a classic American lager that is as well-known for its distinctive, full-bodied taste as it is for its craftsmanship, heritage and painted green bottle.

Full-flavored, with a subtle bite. Light-to-medium body and color. Brewed with only the choicest ingredients; a perfect blend of pale barley malt, rice and corn.

Added by Todd on 03-02-2001

Reviews: 811 | Ratings: 2,697
Reviews by DevilDogBeer:
2.9/5  rDev +9.8%

A local favorite in the State College, PA area. This brew pours a color a little bit darker than lemonade. The head dissipates quickly but the carbonation stays strong throughout. The smell is typical of a widely distributed American beer; they claim this is a pale ale, but the hop character is not high enough for a pale. The taste and mouthfeel are average. I enjoy a rolling rock when I am at a standard bar or working around the yard. It is so light; it is a very drinkable session beer.

3.62/5  rDev +37.1%

Rolling Rock. Who can forget the jewel green bottles and the horse on the front with the eloquent speech on the back containing 33 words? This beer is so epic on the right days it's like a 10 out of 5. Lawnmower beer? Yes please. Relax on the couch after work? Yep. Empty bottle? Hand me another.

Appearance - No one pours their Rolling Rock. That's just stupid.

Smell - Cantaloupe, sweet corn, sweetened cereal. With a touch of sourness. A hint of wheat, too.

Taste - A mellow, lightly sour, yet spicy flavor that bites nicely and leaves you feeling satisfied. A body of corn sweetness envelopes the flavors and wraps it up in a gift horse for your tongue. Spicy notes leave a dry flavor on the palate.

Mouthfeel - Very carbonated, somewhat smooth, dry finish and lots of burps.

Overall - Rolling Rock is a tasty treat at a perfect price. And dude, most places sell this for less than 10 bucks a 12 pack. It's cheap AND satisfying. It seems to always be sold out in my area. When I'm out, I buy more. Just make sure you serve it ice cold because once it stays at room temperature longer than 15 minutes it's no good.

Back in the mid 60's (before craft beer was even an idea) in the Wash, DC area, you had to know a stewardess who flew to Colorado to get the "legendary" Coors beer. But we somehow found Rolling Rock (AKA "Rock n' Roll") in limited distribution from nearby Pennsylvania. I happened to travel to Amish country a lot and brought it back by the case. I was very popular when I got back! Now you can get it just about anywhere. Availability and craft brews have diminished much of its former mystique!

Like Coors, Rolling Rock originated from spring water, we called it East Coast Coors back then. For me, it's nostalgia. It's not a hop monster or an IPA. It isn't 8% alcohol. It's just a refreshing pre-micro brew beer. I was in the business for a while and, in the industry, beers were rated on "quaffability" - or "how easy to drink". Rolling Rock is highly quaffable and is a refreshing beer. Drink it cold like the spring water it's made from. Good to note, classic German beers historically had to have their artesian well water source certified before being licensed to produce. Just like coffee - you have to start with good water.

You can taste the grains and the clean water. It's cheap now, but was competitively priced back when - and Yuengling was on the cheap, because "no one" understood real German beer back then. Every dog has his day!

For me, Rolling Rock is not just a beer, it's a part of my youth. Easier times - no fancy brews, they were just good or not good. Rolling Rock was robust for its day and highly sought after on the East Coast. It still retains some of its historic mojo now, as confirmed by its rather favorable reviews here - for such an "un-craft" brew. I have one sitting on my desk right now - bought it on sale!

I love this beer. I know it is not popular but I drink what I like and I love this beer.

Not being a beer snob (smell to rate a beer?) I highly recommend the Rock to anyone who likes sitting under a tree on a hot summer day after mowing for an hour. Best if drunk out of the long neck bottle. This is beer for us average Joes!!

2.92/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Having been unimpressed by this beer in the past, it had been years since I had tried it. A friend brought a bunch over to my place in those classic green bottles, and I had to try one.
There's not a lot of flavor here, but what is there is a very clean and refreshing. Very light, and has the potential to be a great summer beer if it's on sale. Otherwise there are others from the style I'd take over this. I think what's best about this beer is not what it is, but rather what it isn't. That is, it's not harsh, funky, or metallic like some AALs, which in some ways is endorsement enough.

2.08/5  rDev -21.2%

Some joker brought a sixer of this to my party, where there was Southern Tier Unearthly & Rush River Unforgiven on tap. And left without drinking any. Ha ha, funny guy! I think I know who you are, punk!

Anyways. I'm loathe to review this. Even in college, this was always a beer I'd stick a lemon or lime in to try to kill of some of the, ah, taste. But it's here. I'm here. My Twins just coughed up four runs in the first inning to the Royals, my car's in the shop, I have water damage in the basement, & my daughter has pink eye. Bring on the fuckin' Rolling Rock!

Yellow like taking a piss just before it turns completely clear. Ring of soap scum around the edge of the glass. I'm letting my past influence this, huh? Tough. Smells just like the floor of First Avenue in Minneapolis.

Well, hell. It's not as bad as I remember. For a macro that smells terrible, the taste is almost palatable. It still isn't good, but it's not the road-kill skunk I recall. Maybe it was the locales. Or the company.

Drinkability? No thank you. And it's getting more fragrant & less inviting as it warms.

Not a good beer. At the risk of sounding snobbish, if my choice is Old Latrobe or apple juice, I'll be happy to grab a cardboard container of Juicy Juice.

3.5/5  rDev +32.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

24 oz can poured into a lager glass.

A - Straw. Decent white head gives way to nice lacing. Good retention.

S - Not much there. Faint corn and grass.

T - Sweet malt and corn with faint hops. Crisp, with a proper amount of carbonation. Finishes clean and sweet with faint corn/apple taste.

M - Light

O - One of my go-to AALs. It's an unabashedly delightful and delicious brew.

4.75/5  rDev +79.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The American Adjunct Lager...Have you seen it? Have you smelt it? Tasted it? Obviously no pretentious connoisseur will admit to it, or dignify it with a review. However, when times are tough, or even if they are not, why not get the most bang for your buck? I recently purchased a twelve pack of this beer for $8.94 . Any other beer in this genre that could be purchased at a competitive price would invariably cause headache, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and /or death. That being said, Rolling Rock is the supreme A.J.L. insofar as it has never caused me any of these symptoms, and has always given me a decent and refreshing buzz, without swelling my midsection into a gelatinous slime. At only 142 calories and $0.75 per 12 oz. bottle, Rolling Rock is my preferred session/go-to beer. A great value, and in the context of the genre, the best you are going to get as far as taste and mouth feel. DO NOT PURCHASE IN CANS! Bottles are far superior in flavor...and painting. Do not attempt to pour into a glass either! There is not much in the way of appearance or lacing to behold here. This is a beer for the masses, to be enjoyed straight out of the bottle, and for a reasonable price and caloric content. If you wear a monocle, and/or a top hat, steer clear, but if you are a practical and economical working person, this beer is a great return on investment.

2.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Very nice appearance at first. Bright, clear, light golden color with a 1/4" foamy white head. Unfortunately, the head fades very quickly - even before I took a taste. Very fine bubbles enhance the appearance. The aroma is perfumy, sweet malt with no hops to be found. A light body and soft carbonation give a thin mouthfeel. Still, there's a little zesty touch on the tongue which helps to make up a little bit for the lack of hops. The flavor is very lightly malty with just a touch of creamed corn. Based on memory, this beer has been cleaned up quite a bit - no doubt under the influence of Labatt (which in turn is owned by Interbrew, Belgium). The finish is slightly sweet but not cloying. Although this beer is incredibly one-sided, there are no rough edges to fault it and it's actually nicely refreshing.

3.52/5  rDev +33.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Quick review. The basics: water-light, slick, skunky nose, general lack of interesting flavor (zero identifiable hop)...& yet I still have a soft spot for this brew. The goofy carb & cheapo malt components just speak to me, I guess.

2.73/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Ah, the old days when Rolling Rock was like a gourmet beer...something rare...something to actively seek out. Found a sixer of these at Harry's in Marietta for $4.99 and decided to trip and fall down memory lane.

Appearance 2.25: Wow, this is indeed a "Pale Ale." Looks like watered-down apple juice. No head. No lacing. It's just there. It does kind of look beer-esque, though.

Smell 3.0: Bouquet is actually OK. Hints of grains and the classic lager phenols.

Taste 2.75: Front is missing. Nothing there, taste-wise. Middle is somewhat sweet, with heavy carbonation interrupting any deeper taste that might have been present. Finish is smooth, with a very light taste of malt, but that's it. Aftertaste is where some brief hints of corn pop up along with some brief hints of grains, before it all fades away.

Mouthfeel 2.25: Too much carbonation and it interferes with the taste of the beer.

Overall 2.75: In spite of this beer's many faults, it is still OK. Nothing fantastic, just a basic lagery, bubbly, malt beverage to quench your thirst or wash down some pizza or wings. If you can get it cheap in the summer, it is a great lawnmower beer. Still, if you pay over five bucks for a sixer of these, get your head examined. Again, this beer is not bad, it just is not that good. A classic and an OK beer, even if the jerks who bought it out closed down Pennsylvania's "Old Latrobe" and now brew it at some mega-brewery.

Goes down smooth and taste great.

4.76/5  rDev +80.3%

First of all, this is not what I would call a world class beer, but for what I drink it for, no other beer will do.

I think of this as malt soda, rather than beer, in the classical sense. It is a very crisp and refreshing beverage that absolutely has no equal in the summer months after a long day of lawn mowing in the hot sun. I grew up drinking this beer (back when they made it in Latrobe, PA), and it is the one beer that I still drink from my youth.

2.94/5  rDev +11.4%

I bought a six-pack of Rolling Rock last night (Valentine's Day), partly for nostalgic reasons, and also because I just haven't had this in a long, long time. in fact, as soon as I opened the bottle and began to pour it, I noticed that it differed from what I remembered from about twenty years ago. It's a very light, pale straw color, watery, with heavy carbonation, almost like seltzer water. The taste is actually blander than I remember too, but I do like the dry aftertaste. It's not an awful beer, but definitely nothing stellar. I miss what it used to be, but then again, maybe my memory has shifted toward the optimistic spectrum, given my youthful appreciation of the brew. And also, my Grandpa loved this stuff when it was brewed in PA. All in all, an average AAL in every sense. Definitely better than Bud, MGD, etc.

1.2/5  rDev -54.5%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1

just checking off crappy beers i drank in the past!

2.16/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle (23Aug15) into a pilsner.
LOOK: Pours with a half finger's worth of white foam that halves itself after a minute and a half (pretty decent retention rate from an adjunct lager). Plenty of rising bubbles. Straw yellow in color. Lacing is thick (another surpise from this beer) and moderate.
SMELL: Not a very strong smell. Subtle aromas of corn and white rice that combine with hints of barley (that's a first in an adjunct lager, full of surprises here), spicy hops, and bitter hops.
TASTE: Inital taste is just a conglomerate of most of the aromas: mild corn, rice, spicy hops, and bitter hops with subtle boiled cabbage. What really sets this apart from other adjunct (and makes it crappier) is the mild barley finish that enters after the intial taste. It has to be the most bitter malted barley I have ever tasted in a beer. Not great at all.
FEEL: Somewhere between medium-bodied and full-bodied. Carbonation is extremely high. Burns the tongue and throat. It does have a nice, thirst-quenching finish.
NOTE: I need a Bud Light to wash this down. Never thought I would say that.

3.03/5  rDev +14.8%

Hop-heads should just stay away and differ from reviewing Rolling Rock.

You know what you are getting: a cheap, yet refreshing beer that is best drank ice cold after mowing the lawn. Nice go-to.

4.05/5  rDev +53.4%

First review honors to a beer I've bought plenty of bottles, cans, and pints of. I'm a fan of green-bottled skunky beers, and while this one isn't as strong in scent, it goes down smooth and is best ice cold for those hot summer days. Obviously not a high-class, complex brew. It came from small town Latrobe after all. And even after it was bought out by InBev and watered down/cheapened even more, it still hits the spot. It's almost more a soda than a beer. But damn if it's not a guilty pleasure. It's a beer my pops drank; so like father, like son I guess.

For the record:

L: Pours a clear, golden straw color. Almost like water with tint of yellow. One of the clearest, lightest-colored beers I've ever seen. Lots of bubbles, giving it a soda-like appearance at first pour. A generous inch of foam that dissipates in seconds.

S: Less "skunky" than other green-bottled Euro beers. Cereal grain, grass, corn, rice, apple, some malty sweetness.

T: Very balanced for a cheap AAL. Watered-down sweet corn that's been sitting around a bit is the best way to describe it. When it's ice cold (put it in the freezer for a few), it's crisp and has that sweet start up front but a nice sharp, carbonated bite at the end.

M: Super light and thin, high-carbonation, almost like drinking a soda. Slightly dry finish. The sweetness doesn't give a thick, syrupy mouthfeel that other beers tend to have. Makes it easy to down a 6-pack (or more) in one session.

O: A simple beer above any Bud or Coors, in my book. Not the best, not the worst. It doesn't hang around to kick you in the ass the next morning like a PBR or Schlitz would, so that's a plus. A very drinkable, very cheap beer. $4.99/6-pack, $12.99/18-pack, $18 for a case in AZ? Come on. On hot summer days or any day, I'll always appreciate and this have on hand.
Cheers.

3.79/5  rDev +43.6%

my very first beer, handed down from my grandfather. I swear this runs through is veins...as long as I can remember, hardly ever saw him without one in his hand. always remember him sitting out late at night on his porch, drinking and as he would say, "counting his blessings." a beer that has sentimental value which puts it up there for me. love that green bottle! in my eyes, the drink of a hard working family man.

4.75/5  rDev +79.9%

Great beer to drink in hot weather. This beer has a good clear appearance, a very nice and crisp taste, no bitterness, no aftertaste and really nothing objectionable about it. It is actually sort of a bright tasting beer...sorry, but I don't know what other word to use. The lower alcohol level is a positive in hot weather, also. This is the sort of beer I think either a guy or girl should enjoy and I'm a bit ashamed of myself for not trying it sooner to be honest. It reminds me a little of the Corona I used to drink in Mexico in the 1960s...before they changed it. Back then you could drink as many Corona beers as you wanted on a hot Mexico day and never have a headache or hangover. If you weren't there, you won't be able to relate to that, but at one point Corona was remarkably different.

This is great with a bowl of Dutch pretzels, salted peanuts, pepperoni pizza, pistachio nuts, a cello pack of dried shrimp, a taco dinner or a hamburger with plenty of mustard, onions, pickles and tomatoes. If you have a tall glass, drop a couple of green olives or pickled onions or drink it with some pickled okra. It has a respectable amount of carbonation, but in hot weather you need to remember that really isn't a bad thing.

And the cost is a positive. Where I live you can get 30 cans for a bit under $20.

2.25/5  rDev -14.8%

2.48/5  rDev -6.1%

2.01/5  rDev -23.9%

Appearance – I was shocked to see a large head rise out of my modest pour. It held on for a few minutes as well and laced the glass. The beer itself is standard macro yellow.

Smell – I was equally as shocked not to find any skunk in the bottle. The only aroma I could locate was faint corn, but at least it wasn’t repulsive.

Taste – The lack of any real flavor fell more in line with this pessimistic taste. A one-dimensional corn/grain/water mixture came and went in a matter of moments. For a second it seemed like it was going to try and finish with some genuine sweetness, but it gave up mid-way through the effort.

Mouthfeel – The carbonation is cheap and foamy.

Drinkability – The lack of any sheer nastiness gets this one past my macro test, but just barely.

2.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Rolling Rock Extra Pale from Latrobe Brewing Co.