Rolling Rock Extra Pale | Latrobe Brewing Co.

Read the review
Rolling Rock Extra PaleRolling Rock Extra Pale

Latrobe Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Using a time-honored recipe with only the finest malted barley and blend of hops, Rolling Rock is a classic American lager that is as well-known for its distinctive, full-bodied taste as it is for its craftsmanship, heritage and painted green bottle.

Full-flavored, with a subtle bite. Light-to-medium body and color. Brewed with only the choicest ingredients; a perfect blend of pale barley malt, rice and corn.

Added by Todd on 03-02-2001

Reviews: 808 | Ratings: 2,691

This is everything I want in a beer.

I usually buy it in bottles. Around here it runs about $5.97 for a 6 pack of bottles, $10 and some change for a 12 pack bottles and an amazing $13.57 for 24 pack of cans.

Now, I know what anybody would think-- it's in the same price range as Milwaukee Beast, Natural Light, and some other cheap, crappy varieties of beer, but let me tell you, there is a HUGE difference in taste.

First and foremost, it is the CRISPIEST beer I have ever had. So crispy, the carbonation is fantastic. It's always refreshing and extremely light. I would compare the body to something like a Bud Light, but without that flattened out, watered down taste Bud Light tends to have. Seriously, maybe it IS the green bottle, but I find it as crispy as drinking a soda, like a Sprite or a Fresca or a ginger ale or something of the sort.

Secondly, the AFTERTASTE--- one thing I have a huge problem with is a "yeasty" taste. I hate the taste of a super yeasty beer. The flavor lingers in your mouth long after you're finished drinking it and sometimes I can be so sick of a flavor like that I wish it would just go away. And not to mention, an "alcohol-y" taste lingering on your breath and on your tongue. Pretty much every beer I have EVER had has suffered from the above problems. And it is a huge problem for me because when I am done, I am done and I don't usually want to taste it anymore....

Not with Rolling Rock. This beer is amazing. It does not have that cheap "yeasty" taste, NOR does it leave that rubbing alcohol flavor in your mouth after you're done drinking it. I think some people may know what I mean, but I have trouble describing this in highly technical terms.

Also, I have NEVER suffered a headache or a hangover as a result of "overdoing it" (read: getting completely smashed) off of Rolling Rock, in cans OR bottles. Nor have I reached a point where I say to myself "I am absolutely SICK of tasting this beer."

Now, onto the whole bottles vs. cans debate. Here's my personal take on it: I get a little "drunker" (in that sloppy way) when I am drinking out of cans, this may be preferred by some people. I know SOMETIMES I do like this effect. Though, some may argue (even myself) that this is totally mental and has to do with the way you view "drinking out of a can." Maybe I associate drinking out of a can and crushing them after each one with a frat boy or trashy behavior, so maybe the effects I feel are related to how I view it.

As far as TASTE is concerned (bottle vs. can)... virtually, there is no DISADVANTAGE to drinking the canned version, but personally, I think I get a lot more of the subtle flavors from the bottled version. I do not know why this is, maybe it's just the way it pours into your mouth as you take a drink. I have not tasted any NEGATIVES (such as effects from the aluminum) in the canned version, so don't feel bad if you prefer to buy the 24 pack to be more cost efficient sometimes. This really is a GREAT beer (and I have tried many, again I'm no pro, but I know what I do NOT like in a beer and to avoid).

However, there is ONE MORE PRO to the bottled version as opposed to the canned version if we're going on taste alone.... and now, I don't even know HOW to explain this because I don't know enough about the brewing process to say and I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE if somebody else could relate to this, so I'm just going to throw it out there in case... even though it might sound absolutely insane, but the bottled version of Rolling Rock actually, at times, has subtle hints of CHOCOLATE. Yes, Chocolate. This is a Pale Ale. I have ONLY EVER tasted these notes in darker varieties and in stouts and like I said, maybe I'm not that experienced with the brewing process, but I thought porters and stouts were the only beers that could even HINT at these types of notes.

I know a lot of people probably judge this beer because of it's price... and you have every right to do so. But this beer has become SO BELOVED to me that I don't think I even ever want to try anything else. Like they say "If it's not broke, don't fix it." I have not read the reviews here yet, but based just on the BA score at the top, I think this beer gets a bad rap ONLY because people tend to think "good beer" comes at a larger price. I know, I know... some will say it all boils down to preference and maybe some people prefer cheap garbage, but I assure you.... this beer, as far as price is concerned, does NOT deserve to be in the same class as beers that run around the same rate. It's just not fair.

But it is fair that it is cheap and it's my favorite. I would absolutely love if people tried this beer or gave it another shot to see if they might pick up some hints of chocolate. I don't eat with my beer or anything like that so I can tell you it is NOT something that comes out with a pairing. It is strictly in the beer.

I give it 100/5.

4.76/5  rDev +80.3%

First of all, this is not what I would call a world class beer, but for what I drink it for, no other beer will do.

I think of this as malt soda, rather than beer, in the classical sense. It is a very crisp and refreshing beverage that absolutely has no equal in the summer months after a long day of lawn mowing in the hot sun. I grew up drinking this beer (back when they made it in Latrobe, PA), and it is the one beer that I still drink from my youth.

4.75/5  rDev +79.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The American Adjunct Lager...Have you seen it? Have you smelt it? Tasted it? Obviously no pretentious connoisseur will admit to it, or dignify it with a review. However, when times are tough, or even if they are not, why not get the most bang for your buck? I recently purchased a twelve pack of this beer for $8.94 . Any other beer in this genre that could be purchased at a competitive price would invariably cause headache, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and /or death. That being said, Rolling Rock is the supreme A.J.L. insofar as it has never caused me any of these symptoms, and has always given me a decent and refreshing buzz, without swelling my midsection into a gelatinous slime. At only 142 calories and $0.75 per 12 oz. bottle, Rolling Rock is my preferred session/go-to beer. A great value, and in the context of the genre, the best you are going to get as far as taste and mouth feel. DO NOT PURCHASE IN CANS! Bottles are far superior in flavor...and painting. Do not attempt to pour into a glass either! There is not much in the way of appearance or lacing to behold here. This is a beer for the masses, to be enjoyed straight out of the bottle, and for a reasonable price and caloric content. If you wear a monocle, and/or a top hat, steer clear, but if you are a practical and economical working person, this beer is a great return on investment.

4.75/5  rDev +79.9%

Great beer to drink in hot weather. This beer has a good clear appearance, a very nice and crisp taste, no bitterness, no aftertaste and really nothing objectionable about it. It is actually sort of a bright tasting beer...sorry, but I don't know what other word to use. The lower alcohol level is a positive in hot weather, also. This is the sort of beer I think either a guy or girl should enjoy and I'm a bit ashamed of myself for not trying it sooner to be honest. It reminds me a little of the Corona I used to drink in Mexico in the 1960s...before they changed it. Back then you could drink as many Corona beers as you wanted on a hot Mexico day and never have a headache or hangover. If you weren't there, you won't be able to relate to that, but at one point Corona was remarkably different.

This is great with a bowl of Dutch pretzels, salted peanuts, pepperoni pizza, pistachio nuts, a cello pack of dried shrimp, a taco dinner or a hamburger with plenty of mustard, onions, pickles and tomatoes. If you have a tall glass, drop a couple of green olives or pickled onions or drink it with some pickled okra. It has a respectable amount of carbonation, but in hot weather you need to remember that really isn't a bad thing.

And the cost is a positive. Where I live you can get 30 cans for a bit under $20.

4.71/5  rDev +78.4%

appearance is excellent, great styling, smell is good too, taste is excellent, they must use alot of hops in making it, yet its very sweet, its like a sweeter version of Heineken, mouth-feel is pretty nice I suppose, and overall I love this beer, my one and only beef with it is that its hard to find, but besides that I think this is the pinnacle of American Macro lagers, and I would hope that even all the craft beer preppies on this site try it and like it too.

4.6/5  rDev +74.2%

This is my go to beer so to speak. If I can't make up my mind this is what I buy. The taste is very mild and is probably the smoothest beer I've ever had.

It pours a light gold color, with little head. Definitely has a sweet corn taste. One of the best light beers I've ever had.

4.54/5  rDev +72%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Rolling Rock is a great beer. Pours a light golden color with a decent head that recedes quickly. Has a sweet corn smell with a little wheat. The taste is a perfect blend of light hops with a sweet grain/corn taste. Not too heavy and it is one of the smoothest beers I have ever had. A great carbonation level with a nice wet finish.

4.47/5  rDev +69.3%

Love this beer. Started buying it before it was taken over. I can currently get this beer on tap at the Eagles 75 cents. Only downside is on tap it gives quite a headache. Bottle is great too. I would hope one day the green bottle will be gone. I would avoid the can at all costs.

4.46/5  rDev +68.9%

Beer snobs hate this stuff.
But what do they expect for the price?
When you compare Rolling Rock to Bud, MGD, Coors...RR always wins hands down.
If I rated this beer just on doing what it is designed to do for the price (clean, refreshing, just holding that green painted bottle against your head after mowing grass is worth the price of six) I'd give it a 5.
But since the current AB configuration isn't as good as the original, I'll knock it down to a 4.
The beer is pale, as the label implies, but the taste isn't as light as some others in the genre.
I've never bothered to sniff beer when I drink it from the bottle and that's what this beer is made for.
The taste is clean and crisp and perfect for complementing foods at backyard parties.
As for the feel, the amount of carbonation can vary from batch to batch.
But overall, a damn good beer for the price.
FWIW, I like to throw a few Yuengling Ambers in the cooler with the Rolling Rock just to alternate when I head out to an all night party and that seems to work well for me.

4.44/5  rDev +68.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Going to be honest, consider this to be one of the most underrated beers. Definitely a top 3 favorite beer. Drank this one out of a bottle

A- golden like the inside of the lion in Aladdin (minus the magic carpet). Translucent, good bubble flow;bottom to top as usual. Consistent head residue- very impressive.
S- smells green, can't put my finger on the smell but defs clean. Currently comparing - other beers smell weird. very clean and crisp smell. very unique. inoffensive, flattering to the nostrils. faint snot smell.
T- unexpectedly crisp, no unwelcome aftertaste, its yummy, despite green bottle just as good out of bottle as out of keg.
M-goes down exceptionally easy (read: val). minimal carbonation, feels good
O- again terrific brew!!!! :) Want to have a great party? Buy some RR. KCCO

4.44/5  rDev +68.2%

Most distinguishing quality? It smells lemony, hoppy, and distinct. Warm? Bad. Ice cold? Sometimes it tastes like you just told some broad that "Baba O'Riley" is the name of what she insists is "Teenage Wasteland." Sometimes it tastes like you just cut the grass,are watching sports,or ate 6 hot wings and asked for water or 7up, and you got something better. I have been told by Northern Spring Breakers that this is nothing special-at all- up North. In 1990s southern college towns, though, this was the go-to-beer for the pizza parlor's philosopher. Find a '90s movie with an Anti-Hero, you will see RR. (I'm talkin' to you, Ethan Hawke.) Now that I am older, I find it at Florida gas stations. At $11+/12pack($6+/6pack) and rising, however, this ultra pale is becoming too expensive for what it is. The mystique has disappeared for all but the biggest fans, and now it is JUST hard enough to find at bars to be annoying. I feel like A-B may keep it around, but it may go the way of RC Cola--- highly-priced on the special shelf for sentimental reasons, not for quality. (As others have said, there is a perceived class to RR that keeps it premium.) All of that said, I LOVE this beer. Still my go-to beer, though, when I just cannot decide.

4.4/5  rDev +66.7%

A GREAT beer. My first time drinking this was on sunday night and I must say after 3, I was craving more. It was a very smooth, tasty beer. Easy to drink and fun to just relax with. I highly suggest this to anyone else looking to expand their beer repertoire.

4.36/5  rDev +65.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

One of my favorite beers on the market right now, it does have a VERY light hoppy corny taste that I personally do enjoy. The aftertaste has a very fresh take to it through my mouth. I do look the look of the bottle and the design, has an old school look to it and hope they stick with it for years to come.

If you are wondering what beer I would compare to, I'd say if you like Coors Light, give this a go, has a very similar after taste to it.

Would I get it again? Definitely

4.36/5  rDev +65.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

i don't care about the head or any foam, I go strictly by the buzz and taste! It sets very well the next morning and the taste is very pleasant, IMHO! As far as color goes I don't like pale beers and prefer mahogany colored beer, to me it taste better than bud light, i do get a corn taste(for those who like the taste of corn try Busch) and something i can't quite put my finger on! I get no nasty after taste like i do on other brands, it does have a dry finish to me. For the price and the way it sets on you the next day, I would recommend it to friends, that being said, there will be those who don't like it! Am I a beer expert , not by any means but I know what I like and my taste goes from IPA to this, give it a chance I think you will like it!

4.35/5  rDev +64.8%

This cereal drink is good. Place a can of it in the freezer for 30 minutes, so that when you flip it open the pressure change causes about an inch of slush on the top. Do this on a hot summer day and you will understand why this drink gets this rating.

4.31/5  rDev +63.3%

This is my new favorite beer for around the house. Extremely satisfying and thirst-quenching. Great after a hard days' work or a good sweat-out. Pale straw color in appearance, smells like dark corn cereal, field grains, wet straw after a rainstorm, and a hint of urine smell (sorry, but it's true). Tastes great...bites the tongue and goes down smooth. Drinkability is exceptional. Lots of carbonation and leaves you wanting another and another.

Attractive green bottle with the horsie horsie.

Serve this one extra cold - as one reviewer put it, when it gets warm, it tastes like cornbread in a tin can. I couldn't have put it better. In fact - stick it in your freezer for 6 minutes before drinking it - the colder, the better. Probably best at 33*F (hey, there's that number again).

Nothing wrong with this light lager. Recommended if you're not too picky.

4.25/5  rDev +61%

poured from "retro" patio pack can into pint glass

3/4 inch foamy head, which diminished, but lingered quite a bit. this one has a rather clean smell. possibly a hint of apples oddly enough.

refreshing taste, goes down very smooth. i could easily drink a 6 pack in one sitting. great when looking for an alternative to the mainstream macros. however next time, i'll opt for the bottle. great "patio" beer for the summer.

4.15/5  rDev +57.2%

Not bad, actually it is good. Very refreshing, but just as that. I mean, it is clear, good lager, very yellow pale asi it says in the bottle. No additives smelling annoying, nor the flavor, but the look is good. No great foam, but there is it. I think is a good lager and maybe too good for a party, but does not quallify for a craft.

4.14/5  rDev +56.8%

Beer made with water from the mountain, the clearest beer i've tested.

A: Extra pale yellow color, the foamy head is thin but never disappear;

S: Mild, slightly tart and very refreshing, like spring water;

T: Excellent, earth hops with scents of capers and olives;

M: Dry, medium bitterness, almost no carbonation;

D: Very very good american beer.

4.1/5  rDev +55.3%

Pours out light straw color. 1 finger head. Smells like corn. Taste of corn and hops. Mouthfeel is light and watery. Rolling Rock finishes light crisp and refreshing.
One of the better budget beers.

4.1/5  rDev +55.3%

Its not a craft beer. Its a Rolling rock. If im not broke enough to buy pbr, and im not feeling a budweiser, Ill grab some rolling rocks. So drinkable, very nostalgic. This beer will last forever. I have to keep writing characters to make this review long enough so thats what im doing.

4.1/5  rDev +55.3%

As a Canadian eh, this is my beer of choice when travelling within the US of A. The taste is crisp with a light sweetness. and minimal after taste. The fact that it is a light offering enables the consumer (me) to quaff more than 1.....often!

4.08/5  rDev +54.5%

I've been a fan of Rolling Rock, well, ever since I started drinking beer really. I'm not sure what gave it its appeal, probably it's price compared to its counterparts. Either way, I've always greatly appreciated it...especially its smell, flavor, and drinkability.

It doesn't have the best appearance, although better than a lot of its kind, and pretty much superior amongst Anheuser-Busch products. Pretty typical of a pale lager, a crisp lemony-yellow. Personally its not so much about the appearance here, as it's good straight from the bottle. Nonetheless it has a good, frothy snow-white head that could stand respect from even the most skeptical stout drinkers.

The smell is skunky, but average. Nostalgic really, and once again stands above most of its counterparts. Has a bit of grainy smell and is more on the malt side. It really lacks smell when compared outside of its breed but is almost above average in its home category. Almost.

The taste is exceptional, which is why I most fancy Rolling Rock to other light beers. It has a full, crisp taste; malty and not overly sweet.. although there's a hint in there somewhere. A sweet grain taste perhaps. Some might describe it as bitter, but not offensively so. Stands absolutely bar-none to its peers (Coors, Bud etc)

As for feel and drinkability, the feel is crisp, but smooth.. light, but not watery. It is especially refreshing and goes down with the best of them. Recommend it with pizza or burgers, a good Bar&Grill or party beer.

4.05/5  rDev +53.4%

First review honors to a beer I've bought plenty of bottles, cans, and pints of. I'm a fan of green-bottled skunky beers, and while this one isn't as strong in scent, it goes down smooth and is best ice cold for those hot summer days. Obviously not a high-class, complex brew. It came from small town Latrobe after all. And even after it was bought out by InBev and watered down/cheapened even more, it still hits the spot. It's almost more a soda than a beer. But damn if it's not a guilty pleasure. It's a beer my pops drank; so like father, like son I guess.

For the record:

L: Pours a clear, golden straw color. Almost like water with tint of yellow. One of the clearest, lightest-colored beers I've ever seen. Lots of bubbles, giving it a soda-like appearance at first pour. A generous inch of foam that dissipates in seconds.

S: Less "skunky" than other green-bottled Euro beers. Cereal grain, grass, corn, rice, apple, some malty sweetness.

T: Very balanced for a cheap AAL. Watered-down sweet corn that's been sitting around a bit is the best way to describe it. When it's ice cold (put it in the freezer for a few), it's crisp and has that sweet start up front but a nice sharp, carbonated bite at the end.

M: Super light and thin, high-carbonation, almost like drinking a soda. Slightly dry finish. The sweetness doesn't give a thick, syrupy mouthfeel that other beers tend to have. Makes it easy to down a 6-pack (or more) in one session.

O: A simple beer above any Bud or Coors, in my book. Not the best, not the worst. It doesn't hang around to kick you in the ass the next morning like a PBR or Schlitz would, so that's a plus. A very drinkable, very cheap beer. $4.99/6-pack, $12.99/18-pack, $18 for a case in AZ? Come on. On hot summer days or any day, I'll always appreciate and this have on hand.

4.02/5  rDev +52.3%

Definitely my favorite of the less expensive beers, this is the perfect thing to drink after a long day at your blue-collar job. Thee working class beer for sure. Everything, from the cheap taste to the not-so frothy head to the awesome green-glass bottle gets me excited. We always keep some Rolling Rock around the house, along with other, more expensive beers; but I always keep coming back to the Rock. Classy? Maybe not. Sophisticated? No. Delicious for what it is? Without a doubt.

Rolling Rock Extra Pale from Latrobe Brewing Co.