Rolling Rock Extra Pale | Latrobe Brewing Co.

poor
poor
Read the review
Rolling Rock Extra PaleRolling Rock Extra Pale

Latrobe Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States
rollingrock.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Using a time-honored recipe with only the finest malted barley and blend of hops, Rolling Rock is a classic American lager that is as well-known for its distinctive, full-bodied taste as it is for its craftsmanship, heritage and painted green bottle.

Full-flavored, with a subtle bite. Light-to-medium body and color. Brewed with only the choicest ingredients; a perfect blend of pale barley malt, rice and corn.

Added by Todd on 03-02-2001

Ratings: 2,733 |  Reviews: 824

I love this beer. I know it is not popular but I drink what I like and I love this beer.

Goes down smooth and taste great.

This is everything I want in a beer.

I usually buy it in bottles. Around here it runs about $5.97 for a 6 pack of bottles, $10 and some change for a 12 pack bottles and an amazing $13.57 for 24 pack of cans.

Now, I know what anybody would think-- it's in the same price range as Milwaukee Beast, Natural Light, and some other cheap, crappy varieties of beer, but let me tell you, there is a HUGE difference in taste.

First and foremost, it is the CRISPIEST beer I have ever had. So crispy, the carbonation is fantastic. It's always refreshing and extremely light. I would compare the body to something like a Bud Light, but without that flattened out, watered down taste Bud Light tends to have. Seriously, maybe it IS the green bottle, but I find it as crispy as drinking a soda, like a Sprite or a Fresca or a ginger ale or something of the sort.

Secondly, the AFTERTASTE--- one thing I have a huge problem with is a "yeasty" taste. I hate the taste of a super yeasty beer. The flavor lingers in your mouth long after you're finished drinking it and sometimes I can be so sick of a flavor like that I wish it would just go away. And not to mention, an "alcohol-y" taste lingering on your breath and on your tongue. Pretty much every beer I have EVER had has suffered from the above problems. And it is a huge problem for me because when I am done, I am done and I don't usually want to taste it anymore....

Not with Rolling Rock. This beer is amazing. It does not have that cheap "yeasty" taste, NOR does it leave that rubbing alcohol flavor in your mouth after you're done drinking it. I think some people may know what I mean, but I have trouble describing this in highly technical terms.

Also, I have NEVER suffered a headache or a hangover as a result of "overdoing it" (read: getting completely smashed) off of Rolling Rock, in cans OR bottles. Nor have I reached a point where I say to myself "I am absolutely SICK of tasting this beer."

Now, onto the whole bottles vs. cans debate. Here's my personal take on it: I get a little "drunker" (in that sloppy way) when I am drinking out of cans, this may be preferred by some people. I know SOMETIMES I do like this effect. Though, some may argue (even myself) that this is totally mental and has to do with the way you view "drinking out of a can." Maybe I associate drinking out of a can and crushing them after each one with a frat boy or trashy behavior, so maybe the effects I feel are related to how I view it.

As far as TASTE is concerned (bottle vs. can)... virtually, there is no DISADVANTAGE to drinking the canned version, but personally, I think I get a lot more of the subtle flavors from the bottled version. I do not know why this is, maybe it's just the way it pours into your mouth as you take a drink. I have not tasted any NEGATIVES (such as effects from the aluminum) in the canned version, so don't feel bad if you prefer to buy the 24 pack to be more cost efficient sometimes. This really is a GREAT beer (and I have tried many, again I'm no pro, but I know what I do NOT like in a beer and to avoid).

However, there is ONE MORE PRO to the bottled version as opposed to the canned version if we're going on taste alone.... and now, I don't even know HOW to explain this because I don't know enough about the brewing process to say and I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE if somebody else could relate to this, so I'm just going to throw it out there in case... even though it might sound absolutely insane, but the bottled version of Rolling Rock actually, at times, has subtle hints of CHOCOLATE. Yes, Chocolate. This is a Pale Ale. I have ONLY EVER tasted these notes in darker varieties and in stouts and like I said, maybe I'm not that experienced with the brewing process, but I thought porters and stouts were the only beers that could even HINT at these types of notes.

I know a lot of people probably judge this beer because of it's price... and you have every right to do so. But this beer has become SO BELOVED to me that I don't think I even ever want to try anything else. Like they say "If it's not broke, don't fix it." I have not read the reviews here yet, but based just on the BA score at the top, I think this beer gets a bad rap ONLY because people tend to think "good beer" comes at a larger price. I know, I know... some will say it all boils down to preference and maybe some people prefer cheap garbage, but I assure you.... this beer, as far as price is concerned, does NOT deserve to be in the same class as beers that run around the same rate. It's just not fair.

But it is fair that it is cheap and it's my favorite. I would absolutely love if people tried this beer or gave it another shot to see if they might pick up some hints of chocolate. I don't eat with my beer or anything like that so I can tell you it is NOT something that comes out with a pairing. It is strictly in the beer.

Also, ZERO BITTERNESS. NONE

I give it 100/5.

Photo of

You had this beer. Write a review.

Always a good go to beer

Great beer gets you hammered quick!

4.81/5  rDev +82.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.76/5  rDev +80.3%

First of all, this is not what I would call a world class beer, but for what I drink it for, no other beer will do.

I think of this as malt soda, rather than beer, in the classical sense. It is a very crisp and refreshing beverage that absolutely has no equal in the summer months after a long day of lawn mowing in the hot sun. I grew up drinking this beer (back when they made it in Latrobe, PA), and it is the one beer that I still drink from my youth.

4.75/5  rDev +79.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The American Adjunct Lager...Have you seen it? Have you smelt it? Tasted it? Obviously no pretentious connoisseur will admit to it, or dignify it with a review. However, when times are tough, or even if they are not, why not get the most bang for your buck? I recently purchased a twelve pack of this beer for $8.94 . Any other beer in this genre that could be purchased at a competitive price would invariably cause headache, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and /or death. That being said, Rolling Rock is the supreme A.J.L. insofar as it has never caused me any of these symptoms, and has always given me a decent and refreshing buzz, without swelling my midsection into a gelatinous slime. At only 142 calories and $0.75 per 12 oz. bottle, Rolling Rock is my preferred session/go-to beer. A great value, and in the context of the genre, the best you are going to get as far as taste and mouth feel. DO NOT PURCHASE IN CANS! Bottles are far superior in flavor...and painting. Do not attempt to pour into a glass either! There is not much in the way of appearance or lacing to behold here. This is a beer for the masses, to be enjoyed straight out of the bottle, and for a reasonable price and caloric content. If you wear a monocle, and/or a top hat, steer clear, but if you are a practical and economical working person, this beer is a great return on investment.

4.75/5  rDev +79.9%

Great beer to drink in hot weather. This beer has a good clear appearance, a very nice and crisp taste, no bitterness, no aftertaste and really nothing objectionable about it. It is actually sort of a bright tasting beer...sorry, but I don't know what other word to use. The lower alcohol level is a positive in hot weather, also. This is the sort of beer I think either a guy or girl should enjoy and I'm a bit ashamed of myself for not trying it sooner to be honest. It reminds me a little of the Corona I used to drink in Mexico in the 1960s...before they changed it. Back then you could drink as many Corona beers as you wanted on a hot Mexico day and never have a headache or hangover. If you weren't there, you won't be able to relate to that, but at one point Corona was remarkably different.

This is great with a bowl of Dutch pretzels, salted peanuts, pepperoni pizza, pistachio nuts, a cello pack of dried shrimp, a taco dinner or a hamburger with plenty of mustard, onions, pickles and tomatoes. If you have a tall glass, drop a couple of green olives or pickled onions or drink it with some pickled okra. It has a respectable amount of carbonation, but in hot weather you need to remember that really isn't a bad thing.

And the cost is a positive. Where I live you can get 30 cans for a bit under $20.

Rolling Rock Extra Pale from Latrobe Brewing Co.