Rolling Rock Extra Pale | Latrobe Brewing Co.

poor
poor
Read the review
Rolling Rock Extra PaleRolling Rock Extra Pale

Latrobe Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States
rollingrock.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Using a time-honored recipe with only the finest malted barley and blend of hops, Rolling Rock is a classic American lager that is as well-known for its distinctive, full-bodied taste as it is for its craftsmanship, heritage and painted green bottle.

Full-flavored, with a subtle bite. Light-to-medium body and color. Brewed with only the choicest ingredients; a perfect blend of pale barley malt, rice and corn.

Added by Todd on 03-02-2001

Ratings: 2,757 |  Reviews: 830
3.3/5  rDev +25%

It honestly doesnt smell all that bad, kind of reminds me why I chose it (aside from the 4.99 sixer price). lots and lots of corn, hint of rice, and very sweet. Smells much more clean than other AALs. for style, not bad at all. Loads and loads of dried corn, but very very clean. Light and sweet, but lacking a bit of backing that the European light lagers really shadow. Its got the clean smooth aspect down pat. Light earhty hop somewhere that I wasnt expecting.

If I have to drink AAL, ill take this.

1.96/5  rDev -25.8%

2.75/5  rDev +4.2%

2.5/5  rDev -5.3%

1.5/5  rDev -43.2%

1.25/5  rDev -52.7%

2.5/5  rDev -5.3%

2.77/5  rDev +4.9%

This is the beer Robert DeNiro's character lauded to Meryl Streep in the Western Pennsylvania based classic movie "The Deer Hunter." (1970) Rolling Rock was one of the few regional beers during that time period. (Western Pennsylvania.) In the middle northern USA we had some regional beers out of Minnesota and Milwaukee. All the beers were piss poor American style lagers same as the macro brews of the day.

At that time in the 70s, DeNiro's comments weren't too far off. RR is a little better than micros. However, it's a little too yellow and light for my visual pleasure. The bubbles arise mildly for an ok smoothness for nice drinking. The beer is refreshing and even though the flavor is just too weak by todays standards. week. This is not a skunky fizzy macro. So yea RR was a bit appreciated back then.

Beer should be consumed with music .... not food.
Today microbreweries, German and other central Europe pilsner style brews knock it off. I am not surprised that Budweiser started distributing RR in the 90s. LOL. This is no a serious beer for today's serious beer conniesieur. RR doesn't arise to the higher pilsner standards of Europe or the microbrew.

When I do drink this beer I like to put on a little western PA jazz. How about putting on George Benson's 'Bad Benson'

3.25/5  rDev +23.1%

1.75/5  rDev -33.7%

2.75/5  rDev +4.2%

1.95/5  rDev -26.1%

Rolling Rock was my original entry beer--the one I hide in the closet. When living in California, I would pick up a 22 oz bottle of RR and a Tombstone pepperoni pizza on the way home from speech or debate tournaments. For the sake of self edification, I'm one again popping the top on the iconic green bottle to see what I was thinking.

Stark white head that's fluffy but falls to nearly nothing on top of a barely gold lager. Poured beautifully into the glass as the effervescent bubbles created the head. Unfortunately, that was the best part of the beer. With a heavy swirl, I was able to pull the smell of mostly corn into the nose with extremely light floral and apple notes. Watery mouthfeel that is mostly cream corn but a slight spice hidden underneath.

While this may have been my first regular beer (for several years), this is hopefully my last bottle of the Extra Pale. Nothing really wrong with the beer if you're looking for a macro-adjunct American lager that's extremely light. Rolling Rock is cleanly brewed with no imperfections. It is exactly as advertised.

One thing that might've got me back in the day--the upscale pitch on the back of the bottle: "From the glass lined tanks of Old Latrobe we tender this premium beer for your enjoyment, as a tribute to your good taste. It comes from the mountain springs to you" "33". I can be a bit of a sucker for context, a flaw that I work to always consider when drinking beer today.

Rolling Rock Extra Pale from Latrobe Brewing Co.