Apple Ale | Wisconsin Dells Brewing Co.

good

Wisconsin Dells Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States
dellsbrewing.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by orbitalr0x on 07-23-2007

Way tastier than cider, with mild sweetness

3.5/5  rDev +15.9%

The apple ale was red-brown and clear. It had a definite taste of apples and I liked how the red color complimented the type. It tasted not at all like cider. It was definitely an ale with apples. I liked that it was a distinctive beer with a malt flavor. Overall, great beer. If you like apples, you'll like this beer.

2.76/5  rDev -8.6%

2.73/5  rDev -9.6%

Had a pint of the Apple Ale with dinner. I expected a hard cider taste but was pleasantly surprised to find it indeed was an ale. Plenty of effervesence and a good mouthfeel.

Apples don't make the greatest beer or wine but considering what the brewmaster was working with, I think she did an admirable job. I really liked that it wasn't sweet, which turns me off with hard ciders. You taste the apple but it isn't cloying. One was enough though. I finished the meal with a pale ale.

2.55/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.53/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Stopped by Moosejaw this weekend for dinner and decided to try the Apple Ale that I spotted on the beer menu. Menu states it was brewed with around 115 gallons of unfiltered apple cider and brewed using English cider yeast. Arrives in my glass a light golden yellow with a small bubbly head that quickly falls. Very light in color, I wasn't really sure what to expect. Aromas start with grains alongside a mellow tart apple aroma. A touch of cinnamon, but it doesn't really come through. Really mellow...just didn't do it for me.

First sip brings an astringent grain malt upfront followed by a mild apple cider flavor that has a touch of spiciness to it. Flows down with some more grainy flavors and a touch of vinegar sourness. Really weak flavor profile overall and the light pale grains do nothing to help fill it out. This one needs some work.

Mouthfeel is on the lighter side and a tad watery. Steady carbonation amps it up a bit, but it could really use some more body. Overall this one just ends up boring me and I'll be sticking to other offerings on the menu next time I'm here. You can't win 'em all! The pizza was tasty though!

2.5/5  rDev -17.2%

Apple Ale from Wisconsin Dells Brewing Co.