Julius Echter Hefe-Weissbier Hell | Würzburger Hofbräu AG

Germany
wuerzburger-hofbraeu.de

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by Bierman9 on 07-03-2001

Qualifications: Best drank on a warm day with lemon wedge.

This is one of my all-time favorite beers. Taking a sip transports me back to Munich, Germany and some of the beer gardens I visited. Reliable, good German beer. The beer is light, but not overly light with some complexity. The lemon accentuates the slight bitterness. Enjoy.

4.93/5  rDev +23.9%

4.92/5  rDev +23.6%

Had at the Huttenbar in Chicago, IL

Poured into a Julius Echter vase as a hazy straw color with a huge, pillowy, dirty white, rocky head.

Big aroma of cloves, banana, hints of bread and fresh cream, with a taste that followed that almost exactly, with the addition of a citric zap towards the finish. Big, rich mouthfeel, which, despite the highly carbonated appearance, goes down so incredibly smoothly, and quickly if you aren't careful. Wonderfully refreshing, this would be perfect for a lazy summer afternoon.

I don't tend to like Hefe's as well as other styles, as the wheatiness reminds me too much of bread sometimes, but this is quite possibly the most perfect, in my mind, example of what a Hefeweizen should be: refreshing, crisp, and way too easy to drink. I really wish we could get it in KC.

4.9/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

500ml bottle in a glass. Orange, amber in color with a thin head that dissipates quickly. Smells like banana. Very smooth taste, reminiscent of a Hoegaarden, but more full bodied with a few fruit notes thrown in. Highly recommended.

4.89/5  rDev +22.9%

Great beer. I tasted 12 like this one to find it. I used to get it by the case from Don. At the casino bar. In La Crosse, Wi. And share with my friends. Looks Golden clouded, Smells Great banana and A little fruit orange. Taste, Smooth and one of the best I have tried. Feels Great. I put 3 grains of long cook rice in it. I called the brewery to get some. And yes the Dean of University was behind the making of it.

4.85/5  rDev +21.9%

Served in a 500ml bottle. Poured a light golden honey with a decent head. I love the smell of wheat beers and this one has a great smell. The mouthfeel was excellent and the taste was exceptional. This is one of my favorite beers and will continue to be a big player in my bar fridge. Highly recommend.

4.85/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer was so damn good

4.84/5  rDev +21.6%

4.82/5  rDev +21.1%

I'm not too familiar with this particular style (although I tend to like most German wheat beers) but this beer definitely encouraged me to delve further into the Hefeweizen realm. I purchased this beer in a pint bottle, mainly to recycle the bottles for home brew, but was quite impressed with it. In the glass it has a golden straw colored appearance. The smell is very yeasty, with an apple, slightly bubblegum scent. The flavor is hearty but has a lingering pleasant aftertaste, without a hint of bitterness, that reminds me slightly of bananas. I'm normally not really into fruity flavors but this beer strikes a lovely balance between all of it's fruit undertones. With its high drinkabilty, I see this being one of my favorite "all night" beers.

4.8/5  rDev +20.6%

Cloudy orange-gold with frothy three finger white head, there was still a sizable portion of head when I finished, and by the looks of it, the rest was left as lacing.
Strong banana taste and aroma. A little green apple, in the aroma, with clove.
Wheat comes out in the taste, a little bit of lemon, a little nutty
Very pleasant, clean and easy to drink, medium body.
Drinkability? I should stop writing reviews at work, I won't be back home and in my fridge to grab another one for hours. This may have ruined some of the lesser Hefe-weizens for me. Next summer I'll go through quite a few of them sitting on the deck.

4.77/5  rDev +19.8%

Pours out a cloudy and hazy dark yellowish orange. nice thick white head rises. good lacing

Smell. Mmmm, a nice sweet banana aroma with crushed cloves. Smells incredibly good here.

Taste. A bit tart. Lots of citris fruitiness. Lots of cloves. Taste is heavier than the aroma would have it appear to be. it's very nice. aftertaste is just slightly bitter and tart with yeasty taste to it.

Mouthfeel is good. very good balance. nice medium body.

Overall i feel this is a great hefe. very nice full flavors. its one i could enjoy everyday

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I am a Weihenstephaner Hefe fan, but I thought this was tasty and satisfying!!!

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.73/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Creamy delicacy poured from a $4.00 bottle. Classy. Immediate banana and cloves hit the nostrils, organic at that, mixed with some cream and very light pale malt. So much meshing together it's unbelievable. The feel is a perfect blend of ale and wheat, stealing the show like so many other classic hefe's. A great, very light bodied drink but with a certain carbonated fullness to it. Maybe a little too much, got me burping like a mofo. Lots of respect for the ale and would drink again. Have had before and it just goes to show I love this beer. Gets a little wheat heavy at the end but the yeast sediment has to flavor it somehow.

4.67/5  rDev +17.3%

Pours cloudy pale gold with a traditional egg-white three finger foam collar. This looks just dandy!

Nose is Bavarian banana combined with Topps trading card bubblegum. This is one wonderful yeast strain.

Entry is wiezen-smooth leading to a sweet, citrus/spicy midtaste which seems miles away from its American counterparts. The finish is banana heavy with a nice clove counterpoint.

This brew is now my new go-to hefe-weisse when weaning folks away from timid American counterparts...

4.66/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

4.65/5  rDev +16.8%

A: Huge head on this with an agressive pour. Beer is cloudy butterscotch. Head dissipates slowly leaving mountainous peaks.

S: Nose reminds me of a saison. Banana really comes through, a hint of tartness, and yeasty goodness.

T: Clove tartness up front, gives way to a sweetness fruitiness and a solid malty finish.

M: Light bodied but a complex mouthfeel. Stickyness long lasting fruitness.

D: One of my favoriete hefeweizens.

Julius Echter Hefe-Weissbier Hell from Würzburger Hofbräu AG