Julius Echter Hefe-Weissbier Hell | Würzburger Hofbräu AG

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by Bierman9 on 07-03-2001

Reviews: 338 | Ratings: 626
4.15/5  rDev +4.3%

I had to go to the BA site to find out this one has 4.9% ABV. It's not on the label.
Poured into a tall narrow glass (I don't know the real term, as this one doesn't exactly fit the site'sglassware profile) that did the job.
The brew is a hazy, cloudy banana gold colour, that was opaque enough to block viewing through the beer. The thick creamy head lingered for a good while, and produced very pretty lacing. Good carbonation, with active bubbles throughout the quaff.
Smells of citrus, with yeasty/bread notes.
Taste is exactly like a Weiss should! Tart, with a bit of acidic citrus, a hops aftertaste that is quite pleasant. Dry finish.
Mouthfeel: Good. Big flavour, medium body, well balanced.
This is a good brew to have with lunch, rather than say, watching the game, or have at a bbq.
Love it. Definitely a keeper.

3.44/5  rDev -13.6%

poured from bottle into becker pint glass. (only poured about 6oz) split with cousin-in-law

a- cloudy yellow, lively body. head is tight, tiny, dish-soap like bubbles. head "balls up" and lasts fairly long leaving random lacing.

s- smell is average hefe. overripe banana and a hint of grapefuit. slighty spicy and an ever-so-tiny note of fresh, clean yeast.

t- taste is very well balanced. slightly spicy, sour, and light fruits.

m- very silky and smooth. medium body.

d- decent price, goes down easy. overall not a beer to write home about, but a good hefe.

2.7/5  rDev -32.2%

Poured a cloudy, peach yellow with small foamy white carbonation. I don't get a strong hefe smell on this. Not much banana, some fruit notes, and yeast. Tastes tart, and sour. Not like other hefe's I've had. This has almost a lager flovor. I keep looking at the bottle to make sure this is a hefe. It just doesn't taste true to style for me. No freshness date on bottle, so not sure it's good. But it tastes very average, and somewhat off. This is an ok hefe in my opinion, and an average beer overall.

3.95/5  rDev -0.8%

A: Cloudy pale golden color. Large thick creamy head that dissipates rather quickly. Also you can see bubbles inside. Nice lacing on the glass.

S: Fruity for the most part. You can smell clove, banana, and a little bit of spice. Pretty standard hefeweizen thus far based on my experience.

T: Spicy in front.. with a taste of clove mixed with pepper. Followed by a dull bread flavor. I'm not making this up. It seriously tastes like bubblegum on the finish. It's unique. I've never really had a bubblegum style taste in a beer. I think I like the way this all mashes together. I'd rather have a spice beginning and a sweet finish than the other way around.

M: Medium bodied although it seems to water out at the end. Nicely carbonated, you can feel a lot of bubbles on the tongue.

D: Pretty drinkable beer. After I finish up this current bottle, I'm sure I could have another. Low alcohol mixed with a great flavor leaves you with a very drinkable beer.

3.82/5  rDev -4%

Bottle purchased in Chester, NY.

Pours with a thick fluffy head, excellent retention, minor lacing. Hazy dark amber, abundant carbonation. Aroma of malt andspices evident but not overwhelming. Taste is rather malty with some fruity spices. Very pleasant, excellent on a winter night. Smooth finish. A little chalky mouthfeel though. Fairly drinkable for this type of beer.

3.73/5  rDev -6.3%

I tried this at the Würzburger Hofbräu after having already attempted the Dunkles back in the states. It pours a nice hazy color that is a little darker towards the head, and closer to yellow at the bottom, which is typical of an obergäriges beer. Good lacing down the side of the glass. The smell is incredibly strong and the yeast is very noticeable. The taste was much different than the other wheat beers I have tried. There was hardly any fruitiness to it whatsover. In fact it taste kind of sour/zesty and reminded me more than anything else of Wurst. I thought this was interesting though and the beer is quite easy to handle, not bad.

4.04/5  rDev +1.5%

A: Hazy yellow-orange with a gigantic head and lots of linger

S: Banana bread, orange, roasted malt

T: Banana bread and other fruits complement the roasted malt early on and finishes with a good dry finish.

M: Light-medium body and unbelievable carbonation

Overall this beer was really enjoyable. I don't think it's quite as refined as Franziskaner or some of the other great Hefe's, but this one did stand out as a really good Hefe to me.

3.51/5  rDev -11.8%

A: Cloudy, straw color. Super nice head retention and lacing. It was as cloudy as this beer type should be. Nice.

S: Low aroma, little banana aroma perhaps. Low bitterness as well.

T: A nice pale German(Bavarian) Ale. Not too hoppy...a good balance leaning towards malty a tad. Very enjoyable.

M: Light but full...I mean not too heavy in the mouthfeel area yet very good.

D: Nice here. Could throw back many 'o these but not like many light beers. Not too strong but not a weak beer for sure, about 5% I think.

3.85/5  rDev -3.3%

Not my favorite of the German Hefe's, but it has been awhile, so a retaste is in order.

Huge foam crown lifted itself from the pour. Many gassy bubbles quickly and continually were formed to escape under it all... Aroma and color were equal to the style: cloudy and straw-colored with nose of sweet clove-banana.

Tasted a nice yeasty-sweet liquid, but 'mild:' banana-clove aspects are not huge in this Würzberger beer.

I prefer more to my Hefe's, but this is a good medium offering and especially good for the introductory experience and upon which to base others out there.

4.17/5  rDev +4.8%

Has that classic banana clove coriander aroma.Soft amber haze color.The color for some reason just doesn’t have the same appeal as others of the style. A two inch foamy head. Refreshing banana and citrus taste. Has a mild creamy but zesty mouth feel.

4.03/5  rDev +1.3%

A: Pours a thick, 3 finger creamy white head with good retention and great lacing. Pale straw color with good amount of bubbles.

S: Get wheat and can smell the yeast. Spices, citrus, particularly lemon.

T: Yum. A bit of a tart lemon and to a lesser extent banana and clove. Fairly uniform taste throughout with a clean finish.

M: Fairly light bodied, good carbonation. Very clean bordering watery finish, but not necessarily in a bad way.

D: Like any good Hefe, this one is very drinkable. Finished it off with a smoked salmon salad, great pairing.

4.3/5  rDev +8%

Pours a cloudy orange with fluffy and thick white head that becomes lumpy after left for a while. Thin lees left behind on bottom of bottle.

Smells of ripe yellow pear with a hint of mango yeast.

Chewy pear jumps right onto your tongue, so much citrus going on here. Spicy yeast flavor accompanied by orange, lemon, and grapefruit.

A great hefeweizen and one of my all time favorites. I can drink this beer on any occasion. A must try.

4.23/5  rDev +6.3%

Look: Hazy yellow, approaching orange with a thick white head.

Smell: Mild, consists of mainly wheat and dried apricot. Maybe a little cream.

Taste: Largely the same as the smell, with the addition of malt and cream.

Feel: Creamy yet refreshing.

Overall: This is among the first hefeweizen beers I've had and I have to say I'm impressed. It offers the fuller body that I have become accustomed with stouts and porters while simultaneously being refreshing and easy-going. Lovely!

4.82/5  rDev +21.1%

I'm not too familiar with this particular style (although I tend to like most German wheat beers) but this beer definitely encouraged me to delve further into the Hefeweizen realm. I purchased this beer in a pint bottle, mainly to recycle the bottles for home brew, but was quite impressed with it. In the glass it has a golden straw colored appearance. The smell is very yeasty, with an apple, slightly bubblegum scent. The flavor is hearty but has a lingering pleasant aftertaste, without a hint of bitterness, that reminds me slightly of bananas. I'm normally not really into fruity flavors but this beer strikes a lovely balance between all of it's fruit undertones. With its high drinkabilty, I see this being one of my favorite "all night" beers.

3.55/5  rDev -10.8%

A guy at Florian's, seeing me with an armload of beer and wine, asked if I liked wheat beer and recommended this. It's the best, he said. He was happy to finally see it in Maine. I couldn't say no to that.

Poured with a head that filled most of the glass. It took 5 pours over 10 minutes to get the full pint into a 23 oz. wheat beer glass. At the end, it was cloudy gold with a pillowy head.

I spent the wait taking in the bouquet of cloves, hops and lemon.

Taste was milder than I expected. Not a lot of yeast esters, but instead clean citrus and cloves coming through. Still, it was crisp and refreshing.

And smooth. This is a big-bodied weizen and it goes down so easy.

Even though it's a sessionable strength, this feels a bit heavy to drink more than a few pints. This would be great with a light meal, though. Maybe a chef's salad.

Bottle into a pint. Hefe's are my favorite type of brew; this one stands tall with the best of them.

A-Cloudy orange-ish gold. Thick, long lasting head that rises above the rim of the glass. This is the way all beers of this style should look... beautiful.

S-Doughy, bananas, a bit of citrus.

T-Wheat, bananas, citrus, and some cloves and spices. Nothing out of the ordinary, but very tasty.

M-Creamy with a very slight bite from the subtle carbonation and spices.

D-Goes down smooth. I could drink this style for the rest of my life.

I'd say this is in my top 5 favorite hefeweizens, with Weihenstephaner at the top.

3.94/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours a straw-golden, hazy color. Thin head with little retention. Very cloudy.

S: Banana esters, clove, some bready/grainy aroma with a hint of bubblegum

Taste and Mouthfeel: It's thin, watery, and light on the tongue. Follow the nose. Nice bits of banana, touch of bubblegum, nice grainy wheat flavor. Medium-carbonation with a medium-low body. Fruity esters.

Overall: An excellent wheat beer. One of the best. Very freshing.

4.9/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

500ml bottle in a glass. Orange, amber in color with a thin head that dissipates quickly. Smells like banana. Very smooth taste, reminiscent of a Hoegaarden, but more full bodied with a few fruit notes thrown in. Highly recommended.

3.58/5  rDev -10.1%

This is a live review of this beer. I am sitting here drinking it as we spe...er type.

My first impression of this beer must have been tainted because i remember it tasting stronger and livelier than this one does tonight. I also had the dunkel when i tried this beer so im thinking that screwed up my buds.

It is definetly a nice smooth taste, very citrusy. The smell is very citruscy as well with a bit of tartness that does not translate into the taste as much. The citrus/hops taste definetly hits you more in the back of your jaw as you sit and just let it sink into your palate(spelled that 4 times til i looked it up!)

It poured a very cloudy(thats a plus in my book!) very light orange to yellow/goldish color. The head was around 1 finger but dissolved quickly. (i am not a head drinker)

It sits in your mouth a bit watery, hence my avg score in the mouthfeel. Some hefe's are a bit overthick but this ones got nothing to it.

Overall a "good" hefe but not the GREAT hefe i remembered from 2 weeks ago so i don't think ill be searching it out again at 11 buck for a 4 pack of 16oz bottles. But if its around and i'm in the mood, i'd definetly buy again.

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

This is a fantastic German Hefeweizen. Right up there with my other favorites- Franziskaner, Weinstephaner and Ayinger. A pleasure to drink..

Prost!!

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

This beer is bananas... and clove, and maybe slight citrus, as has been suggested, sure.

But I had issues with it, and this is my 3rd session with it, so this review is bananas too.

Sure, it begins with a beautiful golden haze in the glass, and sure, it's followed by a big bold and unstoppable head that was revived with each pour right to the bottom of the bottle. The head was so remarkable, it made me think that I'd really like to see some of these American craft beers, such as Dogfish Head's Raison D'Etre do that.

But next, the aroma is pure bananas; and we're talking aroma like windows down along Costa Rica's Caribbean coast line, south of Port Limon, where miles and miles and miles of banana plantations grow. And like the mosquitoes on Costa Rica's East coast, it took a little getting used to for me. By the third gulp, I'd say my journey on this new path to Mecca was well underway. I'm a fan, maybe not many of those reviewers here, but it grew on me, kind of like Brooklyn Dub music years ago, which was the craziest thing I ever heard, until I started buying CDs from DJs in basements on Ralph Avenue.

Change, it's the constant, oui? Yeah, I know, it's not Fromboise.

So despite my reservations, I realized this beer is well more of an immovable object than I am an unstoppable force in matters of taste, despite my reservations were backed by the persistence of cider memories, recalling what happens to sick ciders, where low acid apples are used (eating apples verses fermentation apples, which were largely wiped out of many American orchards during prohibition) or no acid is added to prevent the transition from apples to banana flavors. The culprit there: acetaldehyde, which works on cider's tannins. The solution-- Champagne yeast to dry out all the sugars, or just make vinegar. And this beer, among other Hefe Weiss style beers, made me wonder if something similar isn't going on.

So I looked up the yeasts used to make Hefe Weiss on White Lab's website: Acetaldehyde, which indicates 11.9/ppm. Bingo, right? Wrongo, no! No, because there are dry ale yeast strains that deliver 36/ppm that don't deliver Josephine Baker's banana dance... (which would make a great commercial for this beer by the way, with a kind of Fahrvergnügen soundtrack, if they ever decide to go big, and do a super bowl campaign against big bland brother's horse show, right? Hey, it's an idea... maybe not a great idea, but clearly bananas have this effect on me).

Moving on, the mouth feel is slightly creamy, yet thin bodied, like more of an egg cream than milk shake (or lard shakes in many of these fast food drive thrus), and without a lot of heat from the hooch, making it light and lovely like one of Hitchcock's leading ladies, you know, before he terrorizes them with birds, or insane inn keepers, or Soviet era spies... .
So basically, overall, like most reviewers here, I'd give this beer like 4 to 5 Eva Marie Saints. Would I order it again? Are you bananas: would you watch North by Northwest again, if only for the train scene?

Exactly.

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured from a 500ml bottle in traditional inverted fashion into a traditional weissbier glass. Pour was highly carbonated with excellent head formation. Beer is a beautiful hazy gold color. With minimal agitation I was able to swirl out the yeast. Beautiful fine foam of yeast indicates minimal caking. Final head on the beer was about 2-3 fingers. Excellent head retention even throughout drinking.

The smell is a wonderful mix of spice, citrus and banana. Heavy lemon and spice up front, with a nice mild banana base to back it up. A very unimposing and inviting aroma!

The taste is quite solid. There's a nice bready quality to this beer with more spice coming in (fennel?), rounded out beautifully by the nitrus notes from the yeast. Beautiful in composition!

Mouthfeel is light and crisp. There is substantial carbonation but it's quite soft on the tongue. It has a very juicy, refreshing feel, and is exceptionally thirst-quenching and drinkable.

Hefe-weiss beers are ideal in warm weather, but this one really stands out. I wouldn't call this a perfect beer, but it's damn close. Look for it and enjoy it while the weather is warm! You won't regret it!

4.35/5  rDev +9.3%

Really enjoyable heffeweiss. Terrific sweet, round flavor, just enough spice and a lingering, if small, head. I really like hefe-weiss with mexican and tex-mex food. The sweet, creaminess plays well with bold, spicey food.

4.25/5  rDev +6.8%

Oh, this is good stuff.

Rich, frothy, lasting head. Deep yellow color. You know, not Natty Ice urine yellow, but, hey, this is good beer yellow.

Rich notes of whatever well-balanced wheat and hops these German brewers chose. Specifically, it tastes darn good.

3.81/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured from a bottle into a Weihenstephaner Weizen glass.

Large, 3-finger fluffy head dissipates in an average amount of time leaving a thin ring of sustained head like a crown. This beer has a classic golden hue while sitting in the shade.

Can pick out banana and yeast in the nose

Tastes like it smells. You can taste banana, yeast, and some slight citrus maybe orange. Cloves and spice are not overly present here. Really easy drinking.

The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. There's some light initial carbonation, but mostly a flat smooth feeling that coats the mouth with lingering remnants of a bready feeling.

I could drink 3 of these in quick succession and keep going. A very solid Bavarian Hefewiezen.

Julius Echter Hefe-Weissbier Hell from Würzburger Hofbräu AG