Julius Echter Hefe-Weissbier Hell | Würzburger Hofbräu AG

4.1

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

3.79/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours out a hazy golden yellow at the bottom of the glass and turns a darker orange towards the thicker part. The beer is topped with a big white head that sounds like Rice Krispies as it sits and breaks down.

Wheat, lemon, and clove are up front. Banana and some sweetness sit in behind those.

The taste brings more spice and bready wheat. Definitely not as lemony/citrus forward as the nose is. It is there though with some slight banana.

The body is fairly light. Surprised by how light the carb felt. There are lots of bubbles running around.

Super solid weissbier.

3.89/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A - Poured a half liter bottle into a pilsner glass. Initial picture is a beautiful hefeweizen that starts a pale straw and becomes a much darker shade farther up the glass, where less light is able to penetrate the haziness. There is some initial lacing on the glass, but the longer I go the more quickly it dissipates.

S - Smells great, just what I would expect, although it is mild and doesn't really hit me immediately. Typical banana and spice smells.

T - I'm disappointed, given the previous two rankings. The tastes that I expected come through, but they are murky. They don't stand out, nor are they subtle. They are both diluted and slightly off balance. There is a sour quality to the beer that I do not like.

M - The feel of this beer is flat as well, which is surprising considering the initial carbonation that I witnessed upon first pouring the beer. It tasted pretty watery.

O - I didn't think this would be the best hefeweizen that I have ever tasted, but it really didn't impress me very much. I'm glad that I tried it, if only to help compare the others that I've had, but this is certainly among the weakest that I've tasted thus far.

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

Photo of
4/5  rDev 0%

You had this beer. Write a review.

4.4/5  rDev +10%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This beer comes in a golden hazy color, much like most hefes.

The aroma has huge sweet banana and tons of spicy clove.

The flavor follows with some sweet orange, banana, and that tons of clove. It has a crisp body and the flavor does stand out for being on the spot for hefes.

I was pleasantly surprised by how drinkable and flavorful this beer was.

Julius Echter Hefe-Weissbier Hell from Würzburger Hofbräu AG