Julius Echter Hefe-Weissbier Hell | Würzburger Hofbräu AG

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by Bierman9 on 07-03-2001

4.1

3.7/5  rDev -7.5%

Pouring a beautiful hazy golden orange, this hefe pours a little lighter than the average. But a huge, foamy head lingers for the duration of the glass, leaving behind a nice lace that clings perfectly.

The nose is a little mild with hints of clove, banana, and pepper, while the mouth adds a bit of lemon zest to flavor. Unfortunately, the beer has an odd finish resembling the flavor of stale rice cakes that sort of takes the freshness from the mouth (the beer has an expiration date of 09/12 – six months later than my review).

The beer is crisp and refreshing, and up until the odd finish, a real winner. However, the flavor of rice cakes is off-putting enough to cause lower my overall enjoyment.

4/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 500 ml bottle into a pint glass. This pours a hazy yellowish color with a massive white head. The smell is of wheat, yeast eaters, lemon. The feel is medium to light high carbonation. The taste is good, light and crisp, wheat, no real hop presence, lemon, banana.

4.08/5  rDev +2%

Reviewed while listening to Queen's greatest hits.

A - Pours a pleasant hazy golden with a big foamy head. Looks like a hefeweizen should. Appears well carbonated, a myriad of bubbles are rising in my glass. "Under Pressure"

S - Smells sweet and wheaty. Very slight banana and yeast aroma.

T - Extremely refreshing. A little on the light side, flavorwise. Not too many typical hefeweizen banana/clove overtones. Still, it's quite tasty. I think I would like their Dunkel. The after taste is reminiscent of my first sniff of the beer's aroma. "Killer Queen"

M - Mouthfeel is pretty light and subtle. Definitely smooth. "Fat Bottomed Girls"

O - I wasn't disappointed... although I was craving some stronger weizen smell/flavor, which leads me to believe I should try their dunkelweizen. This beer is highly drinkable, tasty, and pretty to look at. Can't really note any negatives, other than the fact that I would have like a stronger flavor experience. That doesn't mean this isn't a fine example of a hefeweizen. "Bicycle Song"

This whole beer/Queen synergy reminds me of a song from The Simpsons:

"When I was seventeen, I drank some very good beer
I drank some very good beer I purchased with a fake ID
My name was Brian McGee
I stayed up listening to Queen
When I was seventeen"

(I'm not really 17)

2.53/5  rDev -36.8%

Pours a hazy, straw yellow color with a white head. In the aroma, banana and fruity wheatiness. In the taste, wheaty, small banana, and quite watery and muted flavors. A small spice like bite and a medium to lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry remnants of banana. Better nose and color, quite watery and lack of flavor.

3.58/5  rDev -10.5%

Had this beer right before I drank the Dunkel version of it. This one poured out as a hazy golden color with a fluffy white head on top. The smell of the beer gives off the typical banana and clove aromas that a true hefeweizen should. The taste of the beer has the soft flavors of wheat and grains with just a hint of lemon in there. The mouthfeel of the beer was smooth, lightly carbonated and refreshing. Overall it's a pretty good brew.

Julius Echter Hefe-Weissbier Hell from Würzburger Hofbräu AG