Julius Echter Hefe-Weissbier Hell | Würzburger Hofbräu AG

4.1

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%

Had on tap at phoenix landing.

A cloudy yellow. Huge yeasty flavors. Very bready and sweet. Lots of phenols and funyness. Very sessionable. Nice creamy mouthfeel with high carbonation. One of the most authentic and flavorable hefs I've had. They do it right in germany.

4.09/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.75/5  rDev +18.8%

4/5  rDev 0%

Poured from 500mL bottle into a weizen glass.

Appearance: light but rich silvery-golden hue with a good haze and plenty of effervescence. Head is three fingers of pillowy white foam. Quite nice.

Smell: rich, sweet wheaty aroma with tones of clove. The balanced aroma of an authentic hefeweizen.

Taste: malty, wheaty taste which is clean and refreshing. The yeast contribution to this beer leans much more to the clove than the banana, which in this case works quite nicely. It's a balanced and tasty brew.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a good level of carbonation and a smooth creaminess. The wheat in this beer makes for just a great texture.

Overall: a tasty, satisfying and refreshing hefeweizen. Earthy and fresh, I could drink tons of this stuff.

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

This beer is bananas... and clove, and maybe slight citrus, as has been suggested, sure.

But I had issues with it, and this is my 3rd session with it, so this review is bananas too.

Sure, it begins with a beautiful golden haze in the glass, and sure, it's followed by a big bold and unstoppable head that was revived with each pour right to the bottom of the bottle. The head was so remarkable, it made me think that I'd really like to see some of these American craft beers, such as Dogfish Head's Raison D'Etre do that.

But next, the aroma is pure bananas; and we're talking aroma like windows down along Costa Rica's Caribbean coast line, south of Port Limon, where miles and miles and miles of banana plantations grow. And like the mosquitoes on Costa Rica's East coast, it took a little getting used to for me. By the third gulp, I'd say my journey on this new path to Mecca was well underway. I'm a fan, maybe not many of those reviewers here, but it grew on me, kind of like Brooklyn Dub music years ago, which was the craziest thing I ever heard, until I started buying CDs from DJs in basements on Ralph Avenue.

Change, it's the constant, oui? Yeah, I know, it's not Fromboise.

So despite my reservations, I realized this beer is well more of an immovable object than I am an unstoppable force in matters of taste, despite my reservations were backed by the persistence of cider memories, recalling what happens to sick ciders, where low acid apples are used (eating apples verses fermentation apples, which were largely wiped out of many American orchards during prohibition) or no acid is added to prevent the transition from apples to banana flavors. The culprit there: acetaldehyde, which works on cider's tannins. The solution-- Champagne yeast to dry out all the sugars, or just make vinegar. And this beer, among other Hefe Weiss style beers, made me wonder if something similar isn't going on.

So I looked up the yeasts used to make Hefe Weiss on White Lab's website: Acetaldehyde, which indicates 11.9/ppm. Bingo, right? Wrongo, no! No, because there are dry ale yeast strains that deliver 36/ppm that don't deliver Josephine Baker's banana dance... (which would make a great commercial for this beer by the way, with a kind of Fahrvergnügen soundtrack, if they ever decide to go big, and do a super bowl campaign against big bland brother's horse show, right? Hey, it's an idea... maybe not a great idea, but clearly bananas have this effect on me).

Moving on, the mouth feel is slightly creamy, yet thin bodied, like more of an egg cream than milk shake (or lard shakes in many of these fast food drive thrus), and without a lot of heat from the hooch, making it light and lovely like one of Hitchcock's leading ladies, you know, before he terrorizes them with birds, or insane inn keepers, or Soviet era spies... .
So basically, overall, like most reviewers here, I'd give this beer like 4 to 5 Eva Marie Saints. Would I order it again? Are you bananas: would you watch North by Northwest again, if only for the train scene?

Exactly.

3.77/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

4.17/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured from a bottle into a smaple glass.

Appearance: Cloudy yellowish color, the usual for this style beer. About two fingers of white head and some lacing on the glass.

Smell: Slightly heavy on the cloves and banana smells with some citrus and grassy notes.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Lighter bodied and smooth. Taste just as it smelled, cloves and bananas with some grassy and citrus notes.

Overall: Decent brew, it was one of the more popular ones at my recent beer tasting party, so I might just have to get this one again.

Julius Echter Hefe-Weissbier Hell from Würzburger Hofbräu AG