Porter | The St. George Brewing Company

stgeorgebrewingco.com

Style: English Porter

Added by Murph on 07-18-2002

4/5  rDev 0%

12 ounce bottle from a BIF poured into a pint glass.

This pours a deep brown almost black color with a 1/2 finger tan head that retains well. Smells of cocoa, coffee, and roasted malts. Nice smelling beer. Taste is similar to the smell with much more of the malts coming through. As it warms plenty of bitter chocolate. Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Overall a nice porter.

3.97/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured chilled in flared glass

A: black 'n' tan; little head, but really good carbonation; decent lacing
S: sweet caramel; roasted grains
T: interesting dark roasted grain flavor; horehound; sweet; low hop profile; booze underplayed; mature and not overpowering

Overall, a good porter; esp. nice on a cooler evening.

4.22/5  rDev +5.5%

A: Very dark brown, the color of black-walnut. Even an aggressive pour only produced 1/2 a finger of head, but it was a nice cappuccino color, and left a nice lacing on the glass.

S: Sweet and toasty malt, with powerful coffee notes. The more I sniff, the more coffee dominates.

T: Sweet, and again with the coffee. Also toasty malt, and some bitter chocolate.

M: Moist, ample crisp carbonation. Goes down very easily.

O: An excellent porter. Although porters aren't my favourite style of beer, I can see myself reaching for another of these in the future.

3.25/5  rDev -18.8%

3.88/5  rDev -3%

Poured from a bottle into a standard (16 oz.) pint glass on 11/6/11.

A - Nice tan, one-finger head with little carbonation. Very dark brown to almost black with a bit of lacing on the sides of the glass. Not too much carbonation, so there's always a little bit of marbling in the center. 4.0

S - Malts, charcoal, coffee and hazelnut. Somewhat faint but pleasant. 3.5

T - Very smooth and rich. Roasted malt flavor really comes out on the first sip and is very rich. Somewhat bitter at the end, but it's just enough to get you to crave another sip. 4.0

M - Ridiculously smooth. Without much carbonation it glides right over your tongue and coats it with flavor. 4.0

O - St. George Brewing Co. has done a good job with this porter. While I don't drink a lot of Porters, I think this is a fine example of what a Porter should be. 4.0

3.68/5  rDev -8%

Had on draft at Buffalo Wild Wings in Harborview 10/9
Served in a pint glass

A: This beer pours an opaque dark brown, just the slightest hint of lighter brown edges when held to the light. A one finger of foamy, light brown head that leaves sheets of lacing on the glass.

S: Nose is roasted and toasted malts, minor caramel notes.

T: Taste starts with a lot of toffee in the forefront. Some caramel also comes through. Bready notes and roasted malts fill the middle. Finish has a touch of milk chocolate to it.

M: Medium body, medium carbonation, crisp and clean body.

O: Goes down easy, relatively tasty, not filling, minor kick, ok representation of style. This isn't a blow your mind porter, but it's worth sitting with for a while.

4.85/5  rDev +21.3%

This is a good beer. I have been drinking a lot of back-to-back Porters lately, and this one is top 2. It is my first "local" beer I have had since relocating to the Hampton Rds area, I think I am going to have to seek out this brewery.

A: Dark/Tan

S: very full smelling. Hard to explain, but it smells like a Porter (Malts, espresso, a hint of a berry).

T: The taste is excellent. Very filling, not abrasive. Leaves a nice after taste.

M: Very satisfying. Leaves a nice resin of espresso.

Great beer. I highly recommend it.

3.54/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Big thanks goes out to drabmuh for sending me this one as an extra in a past trade! Served from bottle into a Stone nonic. Poured pitch black with a three finger very light tan head that subsided to a one finger slowly. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, roasted malt, dark chocolate, and tobacco. The flavor was of sweet malt, dark chocolate, and tobacco. It had a heavy feel on the palate with medium carbonation (an almost creamy texture). Overall this was a pretty nice brew. It was almost spot on for the style it was targeting without a doubt. The flavors on it were very light and refreshing, which might have been its only downfall. I was really hoping for more robust flavors in this one going into it, but it did well with what it had. The mouthfeel on this one was quite excellent though. A definite must try if you get the chance.

4.03/5  rDev +0.8%

A - Great looking dark porter, very little head, good looking tan head. almost no lacing. Very low carbonation which was surprisingly pleasant. Black as night, great show of the porter style with low alc 5%.

S - Nice slightly burnt malt smell. A little sulfury, maybe bottle aging will fix that in the next 10 - 12 months.

T - Very good. If you want an easy day-drinking beer that's not and IPA, this is your beer. Not too hearty, and most of the color and consistency seems like an extracts doing.

M - the missing carbonation is great, i've had a few other beer's pull it off. very pleasant experience and only 9$ 6-pack here in DT richmond. Nice Job St. George.

O - Worth every penny, try some, store some.

4/5  rDev 0%

Thoroughly black, this beer has a slim tan head. It's aroma is a pleasant mix of dark roast coffee, ripe fruit, and dark bread. There is a fleeting chocolate smell as well. No real hop aroma. The taste is semi-sweet, with a nice balance of hops. Nice malt and grain favor...lots of roasted, coffee-like flavors. The beer has the feeling of a higher abv than it actually is...medium-full in mouthfeel, the body is great. Nice brew.

4.22/5  rDev +5.5%

Rich, deep flavored, chocolatey brew.

Typical stout color in the 10 oz glass, black with a sunburn around the edges. Nice roast malt nose with grainy flavors. Bare touch of sweetness, but enough to offset the burnt malt. Seems richer and less sharp than many stouts. For a 5.0% beer it's a flavor powerhouse.

Very drinkable, great dark roasted malt, and avoids the sour taste of more austere versions. Enjoyed at Capital Ale House in downtown Fredericksburg, VA.

4.41/5  rDev +10.3%

Had this on tap at County Grill & Smokehouse in Yorktown, VA.

Appearance: Very dark brown, but not quite black. Neat 2.5 finger khaki head that dissipated rather quickly.

Smell: Best part of this beer for me. I smelled chocolate on dark fruit. Smelled like sticking my nose in a box of raisinettes.

Taste: Melted chocolate & sweet, dark malts on the front of the tongue. Fades into darker chocolate & coffee flavors on the back of the tongue. Light hoppy finish gives this a decent balanced flavor.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth. Could drink a few of these easily. Complimented my bbq ribs very well.

Overall, a very nice porter. It's not one of my favorite styles, but I enjoyed this on. Not quite the most complex porter I've ever had, but it was extremely drinkable. I had two of them with dinner.

3.23/5  rDev -19.3%

Poured into a white wine glass (that's all that was available) at The Cheese Shop in Williamsburg.

A: 3.5
S: 3.0
T: 3.5
M: 3.0
D: 3.0

Dark brown, nearly black. Just a touch of light brown head. Average retention and little lacing. Dry, lightly roasty nose. Taste has a good bit graininess as well, with more neutral malt sweetness than I was expecting, but still rather dry overall. Roasty toastiness, but not a ton of flavor overall. Lighter medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Could use more body. Good creaminess for how light it is. Better than some of their other beers, but still no treat.

3.35/5  rDev -16.3%

Bottle purchased in the Dragon Pack from World Market in Charlottesville, VA - tulip

Pours a deep dark black with a soapy, thin and quick falling head. Smells of licorice and molasses. Tastes vaguely of hop bite with some roasted malt flavors. Mouthfeel is thin and quite un-porter like in my opinion.

Overall it's a decent, quaffable porter however it is not at all what I look for in a porter and I will not buy again.

Hopefully the rest in the pack will be good.

3.88/5  rDev -3%

12oz bottle poured into a shaker pint glass. No dates to be found anywhere on the bottle.

Appearance: Vigorous pour gave a dark black beer (hints of cola brown at the edges when held up to the light) with a 1/4" tan head. This died down shortly after pouring to a thin skin across the top and a ring at the edges. Persistent strands of lacing.

Smell: With a swirl - big hit of tasty orange citrus with a hint of fresh-cut grass, but this dies down to give nothing in the way of smell. I mean it - I literally smell nothing after the swirl. Very weird. I finally got a hint of something else (roasted malts) after I let it warm all the way too room temp, but even then it was still incredibly faint - but the orange citrus came back up with a swirl of the beer.

Taste: Burnt (with a hint of smoke) malts with roasted black coffee bitterness. Hints of that orange citrus at the end in the finish. Simple in its flavor, but just right for an English porter. In fact....I think it could switch hit for an American porter as well. Some of that citrus hop comes out more once its fully warmed up.

Mouthfeel: Quick carbonation on the tongue, and I know I'm saying this due to the strong coffee flavor, but it feels like a cup of cold coffee, even with the cling on the teeth. It's exactly what it reminds me of, minus the carbonation of course. With the taste, the mouthfeel pairs quite well.

Overall / Drinkability: Despite the singularity of coffee-like bitterness in this one, I rather like it, but then I also like my coffee black so I think that has something to do with it. I can drink this by itself, and I think it would go really well with beef or pork. Not really a sipper, and indeed, it went rather fast - but - I think it becomes better once fully warmed up and a mix of American and English porter styles comes out. Other than the lack of smell - a good beer.

3.1/5  rDev -22.5%

While I was on vacation visiting family in Woodbridge Virginia, I got a chance to go to a Total Wine in Springfield to pick up some local beers, or any that are distributed there that are not sent to California. Picked up one bottle of this as part of a make your own six pack.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Bruery tulip glass.

The beer pours a rich dark brown, almost black, but some light does break through. A light brown head rose about an inch, with slight lacing that lasted throughout.

The Aroma's are of light roasted malt, light chocolate, and of watered down coffee. A bit disappointing.

The flavors are stronger, but mirror the nose. Roasted malts, light chocolate notes, a dash of hops, and coffee. Not nearly as flavorful as other porters I've had, guess I've been spoiled and didn't know it.

The mouth feel was medium to light, slightly creamy and a bit dry on the finish.

An easy drinker of a beer, low ABV, but a boring beer for it's style. It lacked any brown sugar or toffee notes, and it's flavors were pretty muted. Maybe I got an old bottle. It's not distributed in my area, so not sure when I will get a chance to try it again. For now it was fore getable.

3.35/5  rDev -16.3%

Blind Beer BIF, Round 4. Beer #2

A-Pours a ruddy dark brown with a quickly dissipating mocha head that settles nicely into a pool.

S-Bittersweet chocolate and roasted coffee in about equal measure.

T-Quite bitter in the front with heavy roastiness. The bitterness really crowds out anything other flavors that may be lurking here and lasts all the way through.

M-Medium bodied with slightly prickly carbonation, maybe a bit thin.

D-Interesting but I would probably not seek this one out.

4.35/5  rDev +8.7%

A - very small slight creamy head, dark in the glass like midnight, slight hint of red at top and bottom of glass

S - nice roasted malt scent, hint of chocolate.

T - tasted like a dark roasted malt, slight chocolate flavor

M - coats the mouth in velvet

D - very drinkable, wouldn't want to drink too many as I feel the enjoyment would be lost after a few.

Wonderful Porter, fantastic after taste.

4.35/5  rDev +8.7%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours porterish -- dark, basically black, with a light beige head. Opaque with no carbonation that I can observe. Smell is sweet and woody, smokey.

Taste is not as sweet as I expected...it's a little mild, a little chocolatey, a little coffee, fairly dry (not too sweet, which is usually the biggest drawback for porters for me). It's quite tasty.

Mouthfeel is dry and a little bit grainy (not unpleasant), thick and fluffy feeling. Very drinkable porter.

4.85/5  rDev +21.3%

I'm no stranger to stouts, but I must admit this is my first tasting of a porter - I'll be sure to try more of the highly rated brands after this one.

12oz. bottle, poured into a pint glass. Almost black, no light getting through, 1-finger head that quickly settled down.

Aroma is wonderful, malt and slightly burnt coffee.

First sip was a revelation - I WILL be enjoying many more porters in the future. Dark chocolate, espresso, malt, very pleasant and not overpowering bitterness that settles into a mild sweetness on the tongue. So many different tastes at the same time - complex, indeed!

Very smooth mouthfeel, just enough carbonation. Goes down extremely easy. Very nice aftertaste. I can see this being a dessert beer.

Absolutely delicious brew that brought a smile to my face and warmed my belly just right.

Exceptional!