John Willie's | J.W. Lees & Co (Brewers) Ltd

Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

3.53/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A 500ml bottle with a BB of July 2011. The label mentions that this beer is named after Mr. JW Lees. Picked up cheap from my local off-licence.

Poured into a Sam Smith's pint glass. A golden-amber hue with medium carbonation and faint sediment. Yields a large head of off-white foam that lasts for a minute or two before subsiding. Aroma of sweet malt with hints of grain, sugar and light fruitiness.

Tastes of sweet malt with a mild dry bitterness. Notes of grain, sugar, biscuits and stewed hops. Mouthfeel is smooth with some astringency. Faint bitter aftertaste.

Not bad, but a bit too sweet. A hefty dose of malt that feels unbalanced without more prominent hoppy flavours. Would benefit from more late/dry hopping to add aroma. Drinkable and affordable, so I might pick this up again.

3.34/5  rDev 0%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Found this 275ml bottle in the cellar of The Crown Inn, Oakengates, while looking for some Red Wine: landlord gave me it. Only a couple of years out of date, opened on 14 Oct 2013, BBD 27 Aug 2011.

Poured slowly into a 'Batemans' badged UK pint sleeve at home.

Murky orange/amber with a scummy head.

Malty, sweet and stale: I know my digestive system is going to be giving my brain a telling off in the morning. I shouldn't drink old beers really, but this isn't too bad and I'll score it fairly.

Hop content tries to counter the malts but fails, this is a malt led brew with the hops playing a minor role, their duties are to stop the beer becoming too sweet and sickly, this they manage without being noticed too much.

An 'in date' bottle would have been better, but this was OK in all aspects, just hope I'm fine tomorrow.

John Willie's from J.W. Lees & Co (Brewers) Ltd