J.W. Lees Vintage Harvest Ale | J.W. Lees & Co (Brewers) Ltd

Style: English Barleywine

Added by Todd on 12-18-2000

Reviews: 851 | Ratings: 1,492
3.85/5  rDev -9.4%

This bottle is marked as a 11-2012 cellar release.

Appearance: Light murky muddy brown with hints of orange. The head is very short and eggshell white which fades out instantly.

Aroma: Light sweet caramel aroma. No alcohol at all which is very impressive.

Taste: It has a fantastic array of flavors here. There is this sweet caramel flavor up front and then there is this light smokey woody flavor along with a fairly good amount of tobacco flavor. No alcohol at all. I really like the light char flavor that is in there. It adds an edge to the sweetness and cuts into the caramel.

Mouthfeel: It's very smooth and easy to drink with a slightly off-dry finish. Very drinkable, especially for 11.5% ABV.

Overall: it's a very decadent English Barleywine. I really enjoyed the flavors and the nice sweet flavor of the beer married with that rich earthy and toasty wood and tobacco flavor. I would recommend it.

On a side note I want to mention that the bottle is only 9.3oz/275mL which is disappointing. I didn't figure this into my rating of the beer but I wish they stuck with a standard bottle size.

1997 Vintage

Appearance:

Crystal clear deep amber brown with quite a bit of carbonation for a 7 year old beer.

Smell:

Scotch malts hit you square in the face, carrying a burst of alcohol along for the ride.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

This has aged superbly. The high ABV is masked by a super sweet slightly smoky malt presence. Finishes with almost a port-like flavor. After a few sips I'm reeling from the alcohol. This is good, but deadly.

2003 vintage edition, sampled March 2005
Pours a orange copper color that is brilliantly clear and topped by a thin pale tan head. The aroma is richly malty with notes of sugar, toffee, alcohol, and already a bit of oxidation notes that add a richness to the aroma. The taste is sweet up front, with a candied toffee-like concentrated maltiness. This beer is fairly simplistic, with a hint of hoppiness that rounds out this beer a bit. Despite its simple nature this beer is still enjoyable on this night.

3.85/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

275ml bottle of the 1999 vintage into a Duvel tulip.

A: A slow, steady pour produces a lovely finger of tight off-white head atop a dark, slightly murky reddish-brown body. The head is particularly impressive for such an old, strong beer, displaying great retention and even leaving a decent amount of fine lace. Anyone who claims that decade-old beers are supposed to be flat and ugly obviously hasn't had a 1999 Lees. Excellent.

S: Hugely sweet, with sherry, raisins, brown sugar, treacle, and toffee. Wave after wave of sugary malts wafts out of the tulip, followed by some faint hints of leather, spice, and alcohol. There's a touch of oxidation for sure, but not to the point of being dirty and cardboardy. Excellent, if a bit over the top with sweetness.

T: Not nearly as complex as nose: this is just a straight sugar explosion. Brown sugar and toffee are the only flavors at first, and a sizable dose of oxidation and ethanol finishes things off. It's enjoyable in a decadent, desert-like way, but lacks the depth of the aroma.

M: Syrupy and smooth at first, with some soft carbonation showing up upon agitation. Pretty solid for the style, if almost unbearably sticky.

D: While I fully expected this beer to deliver an unadulterated barrage of malty sweetness, I guess I wasn't quite prepared for just how cloying that could become. The small bottle is more than appropriate.

Notes: This was delicious, and I fully intend to sample a more recent vintage to compare, I really found it to be too one-dimensional in its flavor profile. I've had the 06 Port and Lagavulin versions of this brew, and they were both far superior to this. This was totally worth the steep per-ounce price tag, but it's not something I'll be stockpiling in large amounts.

Cheers!

3.84/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

2002 edition, poured into a snifter

A: Dark, dark amber in color with a small ½ finger white head that quickly fades into a crown. There is minimal lacing and modest retention.

S: The smell is definitely the best aspect of this beer for me. Truly a celebration of malts, there is caramel, toffee, syrup, and brown sugar on the nose.

T: This is a very sweet beer. There is root beer, caramel, and brown sugar as the dominant flavors with a tad of alcohol burn. To me though this is overly sweet and lacks balance.

M: Pretty good feel, although for an 11.5% beer this one is a little thin for my liking.

D: For the ABV the drinkability is pretty good, but is limited by the near cloying sweetness of this beer.

3.83/5  rDev -9.9%

Opened a 06' and poured it into a stemmed glass, Nice honey brown color with little to no head. Found the scents of brown sugar and molasses, Very sweet yet not to strong. First taste brought a smile to my face, Raisons, brown sugar, a little bit of plum, and a smooth molasses release.
It has a very thick, syruply feel to the pallet with little carbonation. Sure has a taste that no other compares too of its kind. Not my first one and won't be my last! I've compared different years and found that the older vintages are much darker in appearence with less sweetness and much more drinkability. Not a beer you can drink all night, but I enjoyed it like a dessert after a nice meal.
I recommend trying it, but take it slow, enjoy the taste like you would a good brandy. I keep it in stock and will continue to do so.

3.82/5  rDev -10.1%

Served from a 12oz bottle at cellar temperature in a Duvel tulip. Vintage 2002... aging for 5 years.

A - Ruby amber with some sediment cloudiness. Tight knit, meringue head that isn't very large, but has decent staying power. No lacing, and nothing on top once the head subsides.

S - Immediately while pouring (nose about a foot away), I got notes of aged Scotch Whisky and hints of fresh baked cinnamon raisin bread. Getting right in the glass, I find that the raisins are soaked in spiced rum... pralines and figs. Very sweet.

T - Immensely sweet to the point of being on the verge of overbearing. Fresh baked fruitcake and sherry. Caramel candy. Mellows out a bit towards the back, but the alcohol is noticeable, although not biting. Nothing much in the way of hops. The finish is a tad cloying but the aftertaste is pleasant.

M - Slight foam, slight tingle. Very syrupy. Heavy. Smooth swallow.

D - As with most J.W. Lees ales I've had, this one follows suit in it's overwhelming sweetness. Sure it's nice for the first few sips, but over the course of a whole beer, it becomes a bit much. Would like to have seen some more (or any) real hop profile shining through. Good, but not great.

3.81/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

'10 Edition given by a wonderful brother.

A: Poured a syrupy zero finger head that disperses what little foam present as a thin ring around the edges of my NB chalice. Lots of floaties. Fallen soldiers of the yeast brigade.

S: Sun kissed raisons, prune juice, burnt sugar, caramel. Fairly one dimensional, but after 5 years the aromas have settled.

T: This is where it shines. Dark fruits up front mixed with maple syrup and fresh tobacco. Sweet like a port wine but different in the fact you get some grassy notes (faded hops?). Finishes with a surge of grassy moss funk and smoke.

F: Limited. Carbonation is very fine, to the point of almost being non-existent.

O: This was a real treat, lots of different dimensions. Age has masked the ABV well- you don't see it coming until you start barking orders to family members like General Lee. Salute!

3.8/5  rDev -10.6%

Vintage: 1997
Serving type: Bottle

The bottle suggested drinking this by the end of 2002...I got to it before the end of 2003 and I don't think it suffered. I received some very good news today so decided it would be a great time to crack it open and also to make my first review for BA (so bear with me!).

This beer poured a deep brown, which was very pleasing to the eye. There was no head to speak of and no lacing...I blame the glassware I chose. Perhaps it was a little dirty or had some soap residue. The beer captured the ambient light very nicely and created a wonderful image that would have beeen even more pleasing with a 3 finger head.

The smell was malt, malt, malt, malt, and a little bit of must. I think I detect some molasses, but I may just be guessing!

The taste is what gets you! So sweet! Almost candy-like. The malt jumps out and grabs you and takes you prisoner. I haven't developed into a hop-head yet, but even I was looking for a little hop flavor to balance the sweetness. Perhaps if I drank this prior to '02 as suggested, the hops would still be there? I definitely taste a bit of molasses. Towards the finish, I pick up definite traces of butter.

I gave this a 3 for drinkability, because at 11.5% ABV it is definitely a sippin beer. Although, they were able to hide the alcohol quite well behind the sweetness, more than 1 of these in a sitting would be too much.

A great beer. One I'll definitely on the lookout for other vintages.

3.8/5  rDev -10.6%

1999 vintage bottle, 275ml, poured into my CBS snifter.

A: Halfway between deep brown and ruby red. Small cap of foam sits atop the beer after the head fizzes away.

S: Sherry, dark fruits, light raisin. Very sweet and malty, dominated by the fruity sherry scent.

T: This is rich! Deep, sweet intoxicating fruits. There sherry notes present in the nose are also easy to pick out. I am unsure to what degree this sherry taste is from oxidation. Sweet and malty, overall, but it's a bit too sherry-heavy, probably from great oxidation.

M: Light to medium bodied, lower in carbonation, semi-slick. Works for the style.

O: It's fun to have such a vintage beer (the oldest I've been lucky enough to sample). The beer is a bit over the hill, in my opinion. It's enjoyable to sample, but not a vintage I'll see out in the future.

3.79/5  rDev -10.8%

2002 bottle into a tulip

A: Muddy brown body... one finger light head... little lacing.. quick recession ... lots of floating shit

S: Caramel... dark fruits.. candied sugar.. honey.. floral notes

T: Much of the same... decently complex... high malt content, notably dark fruits.. figs, raisins etc... caramel and candied sugar sweetness.. floral bitterness

M: Medium-full bodied... thick and chewy.. the damn floating shit didn't help here

D: Notsure how well this one was cared for ... the flavor and smell was pretty solid, but the other factors were not impressive

3.79/5  rDev -10.8%

2004 Vintage...
Pours looking flat, a deep brown color with amber hues. Smell is strong like wine grapes and cherry, and when you get your nose in further becomes very brown sugary and malty. Intense sugary malt present in the taste, with notes of fig and other dark fruit. On the first taste i get a hint of meaty flavor in the finish with just a hint of smoke, and later this disappears as the syrupy malt taste dominates. Mouthfeel is not very thick, but there is an oilyness present. Virtually no carbonation, only a slight tingle. I had trouble drinking this brew as it is too incredibly rich for my tastes. I would say the alcohol is masked very well. Some of you may love this beer but I prefer more balance...

3.78/5  rDev -11.1%

(Review of a 1999 vintage).

The beer comes in a dark copper color.

The aroma has tons of caramel, brown sugar, toffee sweetness. There's a bit of sweet dark raisin there as well.

The flavor follows with just a rush of caramel and brown sugar. I have never had a beer that is so sweet and caramel forward. It literally tastes like drinking watered down caramel.

In the end, the beer lacked a bit of complexity for me. I really enjoyed the sweetness and it would be a great dessert beer. I just wish there was maybe more carbonation, or drying, or something to separate from simply sweetness. It still surely hits its alcohol though.

3.78/5  rDev -11.1%

2000 vintage. Clear red/copper color with a large head. Little retention. Fair lacing. Dark fruit, salty balsamic vinegar and attic-stored book aroma. Taste bring in a cloying sweetness, with brown sugar, raisins, toffee and rum. Alcohol is well hidden. Harshly sweet and moderately sour flavor.
A complex beer that you wouldn't want every day.

2001 Vintage

It looks like it should be served with a spoon. It smells like a thick, malty, toffee ball of caramel solid. It actually SMELLS like those things! As if i were alive in the sixties, I can smell in this beer "thick and chewy." It's potent and caloric. Again, you can smell it. It will for me define Engiish Barleywine.

It tastes like sweet, raw sugar toffee with chocolate...mixed with yodels of yeast that ate sugar without oxygen...for 10+ years. It's thick and chewy, and it feels like it'll put hair on your nuts. It makes black coffee a bitch's brew. I'm definitely affected by the "World Class" bro and other reviews, as I'll score it high with no plans to revisit. It's just too big for me.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

JW Lees Harvest Ale 2009

Appearance: reddish, small head, and a little lacing.

Smell: malty caramel and toffee.

Taste: malty caramel-honey, spices, some fruit, and an earthy-wood flavor.

Mouthfeel: malty and heavy.

Overall:
This is a very malty and flavorful brew. It starts with a thick spicy caramel blast. There is an odd earthy-wood flavor at the end.

3.77/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

9.3 oz bottle into a snifter. 2009 vintage.

A: Pours a rather murky dark brown color. Very little head is featured here, just a thin collar that's white with big bubbles. Not to mention, further examination reveals some huge white-colored chunks of sediment. This is what we in the business call "ass-ugly".

S: Wow. This is hugely sweet - almost like a barleywine that's been distilled even further. Huge dark fruit and caramel sweetness abounds, with plenty of underlying chocolate. I also detect some toffee and some mellow earthiness. Fascinatingly rich, if perhaps a touch too sweet.

T: Indeed, this is one sweet bitch. It opens with plenty of caramel maltiness and dark fruit esters. After the midpoint, the focus switches more to toffee, vanilla, tobacco, and chocolate. Alcohol is mildly prevalent on the back end, but takes on an excellent character, more similar to rum than vodka. After about 3 oz, it does transcend into the realm of "too sweet", with its strong toffee notes ultimately becoming the dominant flavor. There's good depth and complexity to compensate somewhat.

M: The body does a decent job of keeping the sugary sweetness in check by slightly drying out on the finish, which has a side effect of intruding on the softness of the texture somewhat. Even with that, it's a heavy, smack-your-lips sweet brew, with almost no carbonation.

O: Well, it's everything a dessert barleywine should be - big, rich, complex, and decadent. However, even at 9.3 oz, this is best split between two people due to how cloying it is. Compare that to, say, Sucaba, which I can finish a 750ml bottle of with little trouble. Absolutely worth trying...just don't drink it before dinner.

3.76/5  rDev -11.5%

Thanks to roymunson for this brew! This is the from the 2001 vintage. Decanted from the bottle into a snifter. Pours a quite dark amber color with zero head as expected. Smells of huge malts, cherries, toffee, and alcohol. I've had very few barleywines, so this aroma is quite unique and interesting. The taste is sweet, with raisins, cherries, toffee, and booze all making an appearance. This is so sweet I should have definitely waited to try it later in the day, like after dinner, as opposed to 2 pm. Mouthfeel is quite thick. Drinkability is extremely low as it would take me forever to even finish one of these. I'm conflicted with this beer. It's obviously an excellent beer, but it's so far out of any style I enjoy, that it's hard for me to get too into it.

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%

275 mL bottle poured into a CCB snifter. 2008 vintage.

Appearance - Pours with no head and no lacing. Sticky legs down the side, but not much else redeeming. Looks syrupy in the glass. Huge chunks of sediment come out of the bottom. Suspending in my maple-syrup looking beer. Kinda gross.

Smell - Oh wow. Raisiny goodness. Like a dense fruitcake. Definitely booze to it. Some caramel behind all of it, but it's all about the fruits.

Taste - And it's sweet as hell. Like a dense fruitcake. Deep raisin and dark fruit flavors. Quite a nice taste, but golly it's sweet.

Mouthfeel - Did I mention the sweetness? Thick and syrupy. Took me a really long time to finish this bottle. Low carbonation.

Overall - I can only hope some more years of aging will do this nicely. Maybe dry it out a bit. I love the flavors, but they get masked by the sugars.

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%

This is a great, deep amber colored body, althoug there's little to no head, it's still a beautiful beer. The aroma is mainly walnuts and honey. The flavor is just a little too sweet. This is very mead-like. A little syrupy. It would be best as an after-dinner sipper, I think.

Vintage 2000

Poured a deep hazy amber with no head or lacing to speak of.

Smell is unbelievable, strong aroma of many dark fruits to include raisins, dates, figs, and cherries. Faint malts and hops in the background with alcohol mixed ever so slightly.

Wow, dark fruits abound in a syrupy mix of caramel and sweet malts. Raisins, cherries and figs are on the border of overpowering but still slight enough to make an unbelievable elixir. Alcohol definitely has a warming presence and only increases as it warms.

Very smooth and syrupy with low carbonation.

Although the quality and time invested is evident, the high ABV and insane amount of sweetness make this a once in a year brew for me personally. Even with the small (9.4 I believe) I could only really see splitting with someone else if I ever happened across another. Maybe a different year would have a little less sweetness...time will tell.

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2011 vintage:
Small head. A murky light brown color. Caramel, plum/prune in smell. Quite pleasant. Taste is completely different - extremely toasty, with a burnt sunflower seed kind of taste. Quite intense, all around.

3.74/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

9.3oz bottle. Pours a dark reddish brown with a small quickly fading cream colored head. Aroma is sweet caramel malt, very fruity esters, a bit of banana note up front, yeast and dark fruit notes. Taste is of sweet caramel and toffee, mild chocolate malt, very fruity with some dark dried fruit, a kind of fermented grapes flavor, yeast, almost brandy like with some cask and wood flavor. Palate is a medium to full body, smooth and creamy, slightly sweet cloying mouth feel. Finish is same as Taste no need to repeat it all, with a lingering sweet caramel and mild sweet alcohol flavors. Overall a good yet complex nose and flavored brew, has a nice after taste, good after dinner brew with a sweet dessert

3.73/5  rDev -12.2%

1998 Vintage

This beer pours a glassy brown amber that fades to copper near the edges with no head at all.

Smells of gooey barley, marshmallows and honey with a smooth oak and an over powering alcohol.

Tastes a lot like Southern Comfort with a corn syrup sweetness and a slight orange citrus sting along the sides of my tongue. I’m also getting hints of cocoa and charcoal in the finish with a slight woody oak.

The mouth feel is medium bodied and smooth. It was also a lot cleaner (not sticky) that I anticipated. Can’t say much for the carbonation, sadly.

This one was just too smoky in the flavor and hot in the nose for me. Not my favorite vintage by far. Maybe I missed something, but this wasn’t all that great.

3.73/5  rDev -12.2%

Pours a dark amber, cloudy with little head, good for a barleywine. Smell is very yeasty and sweet, very much like apple cider. Taste is quite sweet and odd, very raisiny as you would expect to find in an eisbock or such. Also fruity and estery. Mouth is medium-bodied with low to medium carb. Fairly straight forward with that strong sweetness having a presence in the feel. The flavor is honestly a bit off-putting (maybe the bottle I had was a bit off after its aging?) Very swwet and malty to an unbalanced extent. That said, its certainly not bad, but a bit syrupy.

J.W. Lees Vintage Harvest Ale from J.W. Lees & Co (Brewers) Ltd