Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Harvest Ale (Limited Edition) | J.W. Lees & Co (Brewers) Ltd

Harvest Ale (Limited Edition)Harvest Ale (Limited Edition)
4.24/5
Exceptional
Harvest Ale (Limited Edition)Harvest Ale (Limited Edition)

J.W. Lees & Co (Brewers) Ltd

#864
4.6

Ratings: 1,530 |  Reviews: 865
4.27/5  rDev +0.7%

taste- roasted malt, licorice, molasses, prunes, coffee and a hint of eucalyptus in the finish

color- garnet/brown

clarity- clear with little to no sediment at the end of the pour

smell- brown sugar, syrup, oak, toffee, spice

body- light-medium weight, syrupy on the palate, quiet, slow finish

appearance- dark, flat, no lace, oily

overall impression- it still blows me away that some beers hold up after 21 years! granted, the experience is totally different than a fresh beer but there is a group of us loyals that treasure the liqueur-like qualities of the likes of lees and hardy's after a deep nights sleep.

notes- this review is for a 1988 vintage

glassware: tulip

serving temp.- 52.9 degrees

song- "harvest moon"

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Finally a close competitor for the mighty Aventinus Eisbock albeit different in style. I like the complex malt profile with lots of fruity and mild bitter notes.

The brew is syroupy but not cloying and surprisingly refreshing on the palate. The aftertaste of alcohol is there but not penetrant and the drinkability is very high for such a strong brew.

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured this dark muddy brown beer into a pint glass. Little to no head came when poured. Faint wisps of lacing remain on the top as it sits awaiting to be drank. The aroma of ripe fruit greet the nose. The taste of this beer is that of light molasses, fruit, and slight caramel aftertaste. Overall a great beer.

4.52/5  rDev +6.6%

1999 Vintage. Consumed in May 2009.

A: Medium reddish brown with plenty of creamy head.

S: Lots of sweet malts and some fruitiness as well; slight earthy/woodiness.

T: Very, very sweet. The malts had blended perfectly together and there was the tiniest bit of tartness to it, in a good way.

M: Pretty full with moderate carbonation.

D: Definitely a sipper, but one I was very glad to enjoy.

4.64/5  rDev +9.4%

I can't believe this brew is 11 years old. A 1998 bottle poured into a dogfish head snifter produced a light wisp of a tan head that went to a thin lace. The body of the brew was dark amber to brown in color.

I am talking big ass dark fruit aroma, rum raisin is the first thing that comes to mind. The next thing that hits you is the sweet caramel, toffee syrup, cherries and plums flavors hitting your tongue. There is absolutely no carbonation and it is thick and syrupy in the mouthfeel department.

This brew is incredible in its complexity,and a great sippable brew, with absolutely no hint of 11.5% alcohol in it at all. Defiantly a fine experience that I will do again

Good old Abe's Cold Beer in Bethlehem supplied me with a shot at another great brew. After reading all the great reviews this beer has gotten, I was pretty excited to try it.

A: Dark amber color with a virtually no head that dissipates immeditaly and leaves little lace.

S: Rum-soaked dark fruit, honey, toffee, and smokey tobacco.

T: A lot of flavors come bursthing through in a brew that almost feels like a smooth liquor. Flavors include dark fruits, toffee, lightly roasted coffee, citrus, and molasses. More than anything the flavor is SWEET and a bit overpowering, definitely a sipper.

M: Thick and syrupy with little to no carbonation.

D: Well this was definitely unique, never had a brew quite like this before. While this wasn't really my stle (too sweet, thick, and boozey) and I'm pretty sure I won't venture for anymore, I was glad for the chance to try it. The huge flavors, sweetness, and booze content of the brew make this a slow sipper, I probably should've tried to have this for dessert versus with dinner. An intersting brew to be sure and one all fans of beerdom should try.

4.07/5  rDev -4%

1999 bottle from K&L Redwood City.

A - Pours hazy chestnut brown with a small off-white head.

S - Aroma is very nice, dominated by sweet caramel malt and toffee, along with spices, wood, fruity notes, and sherry.

T - Flavor is very sweet, with caramel and toffee, quite a bit of sherry-like oxidation, port wine, wood, spice, and raisin. People may disagree, but I definitely think 10 years of age is a little too much for this one. A little too oxidized, but still very good.

M - Palate is very smooth and creamy with medium-full body.

D - Drinkability a little above average.

3.4/5  rDev -19.8%

2006 vintage; poured from 9.3 oz bottle into a wine goblet.

Appearance: deep woody brown, highly opaque with practically no head. When I poured it, I wasn't aware of how many chunky floaties would been in the bottle: there were indeed a few.

Smell: first off, it smells like late-harvest Riesling or maybe a Gew├╝rztraminer. It's got a lot of syrupy grape, apple and pear. If I were blindfolded I would assume this was wine. That said, it is quite pleasing.

Taste: well, at first it tastes similar to a white wine, then I get the malt and grain, then I get what I can only describe as wood and cigarette smoke; it's almost tinny in that respect. I will say it's very complex, and I feel like I should be doing a lot of glass-swirling and erudite pontificating, but really, I just can't get a handle on it.

As I drink, the pattern stays the same: the beginning is quite wonderful and the finish is highly off-putting.

Mouthfeel: medium-thick body which is pretty smooth.

Drinkability: I really don't know what to put here. I don't want to slam this admittedly impressive beer, but it's just not my style right now.

I really would like to come back to this beer later when my barleywine palate is more developed.

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

Picked up a bottle of the 1999 vintage a couple of weeks ago. The Fall season is slowly creeping in out here in New Hampshire, so I thought a J.W. Lees Harvest Ale would be a nice way to enjoy the beginning of the season.

Poured this into a snifter. A strong pour produces a decent off-white head that sits on top of a dark autumn amber. The head thins out quite a bit, but leaves a nice foamy ring around the sides of the glass. Some lacing follows.

The aroma is at first a mixture of burnt malts and sweet fruits. Plums, figs and grapes are the strongest notes that come out, followed by some honey sweetness and a bit of estery alcohol. A complex nose that is very enjoyable. I still haven't even taken a sip yet, really enjoying this.

The taste is, well... amazing. Delicious! Thick, syrupy, sugary fruits intertwined with a very hefty amount of malt. Some wood flavors are also coming through, not very strong, but adding to the robustness of the flavor. Hops are there as well, adding a little bit of floral aroma and bitterness, but mostly washed out by the honey laden fruits. Very sweet most of the time, but interrupted occasionally by roasty/burnt malts, keeping it interesting and drawing me back for more.

The mouthfeel is much like I was describing in the taste. Thick, syrupy, creamy. Very filling. A bit of alcohol sharpness here or there, but for the most part the 11.5% ABV is hidden well. Drinkability is good, but with the high ABV, the sugary sweetness and the price, you'll only want one of these for the night. But drinkability is good for what it is.

All in all I am very impressed with this beer. It looks beautiful, the aroma is complex and pleasing and the flavor is delicious. I will be picking up more of this for special occasions and hunting down the other vintages. J.W. Lees 1999 Vintage Harvest Ale is truly a great English barleywine.

4.75/5  rDev +12%

'99 vintage, poured into a Duck Rabbit snifter. Opaque burnt caramel tones in the body with a little white head, this one smells a little like burnt caramel, anise and nutty toast (the malt coming through) with a nice hoppy bite over effervescent alcohol.

Mmmm tastes delicious, sweet. Again with the subtle burnt caramel and hints of roasted fig. Very warming. Gentle bitter aftertaste laced with malt. All of the flavors are very complex and well-rounded, reminding me of belgians. Maybe it's the age. A light carbonation accents these flavors very well and makes the mouthfeel smooth without being too heavy. Body is medium to heavy without smothering. It would be a little more drinkable if I could detect the alcohol less (as a barleywine, though, it has excellent drinkability); so overall it is an excellent sipper comparable in serving suggestion to port.

I must try more years of these!

4.13/5  rDev -2.6%

I bought four 2008 vintage a couple of weeks back, with the intention of cellaring them, so I figured I should try one fresh first.

Poured from a cellar temperature 275ml bottle into a chalice (Bush brand).

A - Amber in colour. Pours with a small head that completely vanishes after a couple of minutes. Carbonation seems very lively. Looks almost like brandy after it has settled.

S - The first thing that hits you is a bourbon alcohol smell, which is quite potent. There is a clear sweetness, maple syrup, toffee, butterscotch, caramel, you get the idea. There is a hint of apple in there, and maybe plum. The aromas are incredibly complex, I've never smelt anything like it.

T - The taste is sweet at first, with a syrupy honey taste, which has a slight vanilla quality to it. This makes way for an earthy bitterness in the finish, with a hint of green vegetables.

M - It feels very thick and syrupy. No real carbonation in the mouth.

D - Probably the biggest aromas and flavours I have experienced in a Barleywine. It is incredibly sweet, it makes your teeth ache just at the thought of it; maybe this will lessen with cellaring. Can't wait to taste it again in a few years after it has had chance to mature.

4.04/5  rDev -4.7%

I found this douzy at Thr Iron Abbey in Hatboro PA.Vintage 2007.

Poured into a snifter.Pours a darker copper color with a insane chunky sediment in the bottom of the glass. Very little heading that dissolves to nothing at all. Very thick and syrupy looking with an oil coating that looks like a big puddle in the city.

Smell is very boozy with a maltiness. Raisiny and molasses. I get a tequila aroma towards the end.

Chew ... I mean taste is all the above and then some. Extremely heavy syrup taste with a sweet and roasted malt blend that tastes amazing. Slight hoppiness that kind of takes over then is replaced by an extreme fruitiness. Some chocolate is tasted as well.

Mouth is full bodied with NO carbonation but once you swoosh it around foams up very nicely with a prickley bitterness on the tongue. Very heavy syrup finish.

Drink is good but a little to heavy for a session beer but with that said it is easy to go down for such a high ABV. I was a little disappointed in the looks of this beer being thick and flat but it makes up for it in the taste.

Amazing tasting beer and definite must try for everyone who drinks.

2.67/5  rDev -37%

1999 vintage

Poured into my snifter from a 12floz bottle

Pours a dirty light to medium brown color with a slightly off white one finger head. Below average head retention that when fades leaves a small ring on the outside edges of my beer.

Smell is heavy on the bourbon, some vanilla, toffee, sugar, and malts.

Very sweet upfront with hints of dark candied sugar, vanilla, honey, prunes, caramel, toffee, and a slight bourbon heat. Very malty beer and no hop presence whatsoever(no surprise here for a 10 year old beer).

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with pretty active carbonation. Very sugary sweet malty beer, its so sugary it leaves it on your lips.

Overall my opinion is that this is one way to sugary beer(kind of reminds me of DFH 120min)except more drinkable. I would never seek out this beer again, but its tolerable.

3.79/5  rDev -10.6%

2002 bottle into a tulip

A: Muddy brown body... one finger light head... little lacing.. quick recession ... lots of floating shit

S: Caramel... dark fruits.. candied sugar.. honey.. floral notes

T: Much of the same... decently complex... high malt content, notably dark fruits.. figs, raisins etc... caramel and candied sugar sweetness.. floral bitterness

M: Medium-full bodied... thick and chewy.. the damn floating shit didn't help here

D: Notsure how well this one was cared for ... the flavor and smell was pretty solid, but the other factors were not impressive

4.68/5  rDev +10.4%

This is a 1999 vintage limited edition!

Poured into a brandy snifter this beer is extremely rich looking with a powdery tan to off-white head that quickly forms. To accentuate the nuances of this ale I have decided to consume it at room temperature. This day is officially special!

The aromas are of fine aged scotch, fruity sherry and age port come together in the nose with plenty of malt. Toffee, burnt sugar, alcohol, and tropical fruit esters are all here and dancing playfully in my nostrils.

The first taste is smooth, rich, and sweet. There is not even a touch of hops detected (as I expected for a 10 year old english barleywine). There is white chocolate, cinnamon, spices, ripe fruit, and the richness of a fine artesian dessert.

Mouthfeel is really rich and velvety until the finish. The finish is really dry. I can tell that before this beer was bottled there was plenty of sugar left over for secondary fermentation in the bottle. The 11.5% alcohol content is probably low, but who knows. Perhaps this "vintage limited edition" bottling has taken into account this extra alcohol.

Drinkablity is great for the style. Usually barleywines take me an hour to finish (with few exceptions). I could easily drink this down in a few minutes, but I choose to savor the flavors in this grand beer.

If you find this on the shelves you'd be wise to pick one up. This is one tasty beverage!

4.74/5  rDev +11.8%

Cracked open a 1999 today.

A- Deep amber, more ruby tones when held against the light. No head to speak of.

S- Vanilla, malt, honey, toffee, caramel.

T- Roasted caramel. Molasses. Liqud God. Best malty beer I've ever had.

M- Syrupy, sticky. Lingering taste in my mouth. Delicious.

D- It's too sweet to drink a lot of, and the high ABV makes it hard to drink much of it and be coherent. It's a pretty good end to a malty beer tasting session.

All in all, I am well satisfied with this beer.

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

Polled some BA's on what I should review for my 200th review. J.W. Lees won a close race over several other stellar beers. It was suggested I do a vertical, but now is not the time. Instead, I will try one of my oldest vintages, a 1999.

1999 Vintage. Cracked open with a hiss. Good to know that it was sealed properly. After ten years, you never know. Served just above room temperature. Poured a small amount into a tulip, leaving most in the bottle. Pours a deep ruby, mahogany color. It looks mahogany-brown until you hold it into the light, which reveals it's ruby hues. A very small layer of foam is produced, but dissipates quickly to a small ring around the outside of the glass. A small column of carbonation is rising from the middle of the tulip. Another good sign, it's still carbonated. There is some nice lacing, but nothing excellent.

The first whiff I get is intense. I get dried dark fruit, sweet malts and liqueurs, pollen and toffee. This might be the sweetest smelling beer I've ever had the pleasure of smelling. I also get a slight vanilla scent that reminds me of Bourbon, but it's more of a liqueur than a Bourbon smell.

Liquid gold touches lips, dances on tough and opens eyes to entirely different world. I honestly didn't know a beer could taste like this. If this doesn't define complexity, than I don't know what does. The other night I had a GI BCS, and I thought that was the most complex beer I've ever had. J.W. Lees just left BCS in the dust, turned around and flicked it off. I get vanilla, toffee, sweet malts, dark fruits, liqueur and caramel. How could I forget about the caramel. So intense and sweet is the caramel aftertaste that it begs you to drink more. Did I forget to mention the alcohol? Oh, yes. Thats because it is non existent.

Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth. No carbonation bite, no hop bitterness. Just pure malt sweetness. Thick and creamy, it coats your mouth. No sign of the 11.5% ABV anywhere. Drinkability is perfect. I could imagine downing way to many of these. Dangerous drinkability.

I had my doubts. How well could a beer 10 years old hold up? Apparently better than I had ever imagined. I know of the benefits of a cellar, and how brews change, but I had no idea what it could do. I had a fresher bottle (2006 I believe) maybe 7 months ago, and I didn't like it. Granted, my palate has changed quite a bit, but I can definitely see how this has changed for the better.

Needless to say I am infinitely impressed. If this wasn't so damned expensive I would do verticals of this every single night! Couldn't have asked for a better brew to do my 200th review on!

I've had the privilege of having the 1999 and 2006 versions of the J.W. Lees Vintage Harvest Ale, a beer recommended highly by a close friend of mine, that seemed to appear out of nowhere. I didn't really know what to expect, but as soon as I cracked the cap off of the bottle, I was overcome by the sweet aroma of fermented apples. Then I partook and was completely blown away. Halfway through the bottle, I turned to my friend and told him with all seriousness that the J.W, Lees Vintage Harvest Ale was the best beer I have ever tasted, and this is coming from someone who has indulged in the pleasures of the Westvleteren 12. If this isn't enough reason to pick this beauty up next time you visit your local bottleshop, I'll do my best to describe its components:

My original thought when drinking the J.W. Lees Vintage Harvest Ale was it tastes like a more realized (and better carbonated) Lost Abbey Angel Share. This is primarily due to its pervasive caramel taste, and its syrupy consistency.

A: reddish, golden brown.

S: sweet, fermented fruit, namely apples. spices.

T: perfect balance of caramel, honey, dark fruits, apples, a hint of cinnamon, very much a barleywine.

M: HUGE presence, due to the viscous, syrupy honey nature of the beer.

D: it's delicious, sweet, well-balanced, and complex, but it'd be difficult to drink more than one of these in one sitting.

I recommend this beer highly, and predict that it will soon rapidly climb to at least the top 20 of the Best of BA, so if you're looking for a delicious beer to meet your every expectation, look no further beer enthusiasts, the J.W. Lees Vintage Harvest Ale has arrived!

4.67/5  rDev +10.1%

I organized a vertical tasting of JW Lees Harvest Ale for 1998 through 2008 (missing 2003) on 11 July 2009. We also tasted a few of the wood aged JW Lees Harvest Ale (not listed here). One participant also brought a 1986 bottle. All bottles (except the 1986) were purchased from the same location, and so presumably had been treated and stored in similar conditions. Overall, the 1986, 1999, and 2001 stood out as exceptional. Recent years, particularly 2006 and newer, were somewhat disappointing (maybe a different brewer, crop issues?) and lacking complexity. All were listed as 11.5% abv, except the 1986, which did not list an alcohol level on the label. All tasters were BJCP, including two national level. Although other tasters had different notes, we pretty much agreed as to overall ratings.

My rating system (which I use on my personal BuildABeer.org) is a scale from 1 (low) to 5 (high). Each year has ratings, as well as tasting notes. Ratings are Overall (subjective), followed by objective levels of Malt, Hops, Sweetness, Bitter, and Body. Note that the objective levels are not necessarily better as they get higher; it's just a measure of the level.

1986: 5- (overall rating), 4 (malt level), 1 (hops level), 2 (sweetness level), 1 (bitterness level), 4 (body) : slight roast; burnt notes as it warms up; sherry; smooth; caramel; toffee

1998: 4+,5,2,3,2,4 : molasses; treacle; pipe tobacco; some roast; caramel

1999: 5-,4,3,2,3,4 : caramel; floral hops; bittering balances nicely

2000: 4-,4,3,2,2,3 : slight DMS; floral; slight cheesy; prickly

2001: 5-,4,2,4,2,4 : slight bready; port wine; figs; honey; dark raisins; slight floral

2002: 4+,4,3,2,2,4 : bready; honey; floral

2008: 4, 3,3,2,3,3 : bread dough; slight metallic; floral

4.23/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

* 2007 Vintage
Served cool in Gulden Draak's tulip-shaped bowl sniffer; the ingredients for this vintage include Maris Otter malts and East Kent Goldings hops.
A: slightly cloudy dark amber in colour, coming with very soft carbonation, lots of cottony yeast sediments, and a thin sheet of off-white foamy cap settling to a rim.
S: densely sweet, like honey-drink infused with Chinese pale prunes, sour pears, figs and Aiyu herbal jelly; a swirl brings up a more pronounced theme of stale-sourness as of a well-aged ale.
T: a lubricating, semi-oily swallow of honey-ish and toffee-ish pale malts, estery elements of pale dates and prunes, lightly phenolic yeastiness and semi-sweet longan-fruit tea leads towards a most exciting aftertaste of green asparagus juice with a touch of mashed green beans that concludes the whole palate effortlessly with so much aroma to savour... Also lingering in the end is a chewy palate of hop bitterness that helps result in a harmonious balance with the slightly nutty edge of lingering maltiness.
M&D: it's hard to believe that simple ingredients could result in such a heavenly-tasted ale, an art in a glass, with melting beauty and a slightly down-to-earth approach on the palate. Yeasts and ageing have contributed lots of nice complications to the overall drinking experience, which is different from the Belgian way but all the same enticing. A must-try English Barley Wine for any beer lover, regardless of the vintage!

* 2000 Vintage - Tasting Date: 28/08/07
Served cool in a large tulip-shaped wine glass.
4 A: black-tea-ish dark brown hue, with a light beige head that settles fast to a rim of foam, on top of light and gentle carbonation.
3.5 S: perfumy fruit-esters (full of pineapples and bananas) lie on top of dried plums, prune-ish honey, and mead, while the overall aroma is mainly astringently fruity, thickly malty (hints of caramelised sugar), laced with a touch of smoked wood-chips.
4.5 T: thick longan-flower honey, light roast coffee beans, black prunes, over-ripe pineapples come upfront; gradually brown sugar, a soothingly bitter-sweet taste of tea-smoked longan-fruits (on shells) and toffee develop, backed by a delicate touch of herbal bitterness of hops, roasted malts, quietly spicy hints of yeastiness and phenol. Almost in parallel and more subtly, the mildly coffee-ish and nutty aftertaste also lends some complexity, leading to a sherry-like finish.
5 M&5 D: creamy in fizziness, lubricating (not syrupy at all), full-bodied yet still mellow; this ale shows a lovely contrast b/w the sweet nose and superbly-balanced flavour full of 3-D hop bitterness to balance out the heavily malty body, while the finishing dryish palate makes the beer lighter than it actually tastes. All in all, this vintage ages simply too well; a truly sensational nectar to savour, IMO.

3.98/5  rDev -6.1%

2008 vintage on tap at Max's. I've never had a JW this fresh, I'm curious to see what it's like.

A: Clear amber with a thick white head. Retention is excellent, and the lace, spectacular

S: Big, syrupy sweetness with honey, sugar, mild jasmine and floral character. Earthy hop character is present, something I've never noticed in this beer. I miss the age and oxidation, but it's revealing, what time can do for this beer.

T: Very big and sweet with honey, jasmine, rose and sugar. Mild hop character on the finish, along with the syrupy sweetness. Again, significantly less complex than older vintages.

M: Incredibly big, though the sweetness is a little simple in character. Good carbonation, nice finish

D: A sipper for sure.

4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

275ml bottle poured into a goblet.

2009 vintage, reviewed on 1/3/11.

A: Ruby red body. Head recedes to a thin film and leaves no lacing.

S: Tons of caramel, a hint of alcohol.

T: Big time caramel with plenty of earthy hoppiness. Some smoky notes. No alcohol. Impressively complex and balanced.

M: Thick and syrupy.

D: I liked this much more than the older bottle. I guess I like my barleywines young.

4/4/4/4/4.5=4.05

1999 vintage, reviewed on 6/25/09.

A: Dark mahogany body. Suprisingly robust head for a beer nearly a decade old. Also good lacing.

S: Huge malt bomb. Also some alcohol.

T: Overpowering cloying sweetness. No trace of hops or any other balancing flavor. It's like drinking sugar syrup. On the plus side, the alcohol is undetectable.

M: Acceptably rich and smooth.

D: This was a chore to slog through. The fact that it was less than 10 ounces was the only thing keeping it from being a drain pour. Was the beer past its prime? Did I pick up a bad bottle? Or do I just not like this beer? It'll be a while before I know for sure, because I'm not spending 7+$ on another vintage anytime soon.

4/3/2.5/4/2.5=3.05

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%

2007 vintage.
Pour is a light honey brown with a foamy white head that build quickly but gradually disappears as it warms. Aroma is distinctly a British barley wine, somewhat boozy, but very malty with some grapefruit and a touch of bourbon and whiskey giving it a sharp edge. Almost cloying in its sweetness. Taste is surprisingly sweet, honey is very distinct, syrupy; lots of butter rum and brandy with a distinct alcohol warming; a very big brew, but very drinkable for a sipper of this strength. Bitter aftertaste is noticeable at the very end keeping this brew from being too sweet.

A very unique brew not to be missed, though I would like it to be a little less sweet.

2008 vintage
Appearance is same as the 2007 except a billowy white head resembling an IPA is constant throughout. Aroma has a lot more sweetness to it, like bourbon-soaked bread dipped in brown sugar. This version has less bitterness at the end as the sweetness is front, center and all other directions. A sipper to be sure, but the cloying sweetness makes this a little too big. I have a 2001 stashed away and am hoping this brew gets better over time.

4.12/5  rDev -2.8%

A generous extra from rsquared618. 1998 vintage. The beer appears dark copper with a light beige head.

The aroma is of toffee, dates, figs, and dried fruits. It smells very sweet and sugary, with some notes of oxidization and alcohol. Hops are nowhere to be found.

The taste is very sugary sweet, reminiscent of dates and toffee, with a strong alcohol presence. Other flavors are of candied sugar and dried fruits. This is a classic English Barleywine that's mellowed with age. The finish is sugary sweet, almost cloyingly so, with toffee and alcohol.

The beer is medium-full bodied with low carbonation.

4.49/5  rDev +5.9%

2001 vintage poured from a 9.6 oz. bottle into my HopCat Snifter on 6/6/09.

Beer pours a dark amber color with one finger of head that hangs around for about 20 minutes until my 4th drink. The carbonation is very light and appropriate for the style. The smell of this beer is amazingly complex with smells of sweet fruits like rasians and prunes, also smells of sweet malt and toffee. Oddly enough the smell really has an acid charactor that hangs around in my nose well after the sip, which I really love because I believe that it enhances the flavor of the beer. The flavor is much like the smell, very sweet malt with tastes of prunes and sweet apples along with hints of toffee and carmel throughout the drink. First sip has an amazing buttery creaminess that I'm still loving. I will say that as the beer warms to room temp the sweetness isn't as over powering and it becomes much more of a social style ale for me. Basically, no noticable hop profile at all in the beer and the alcohol in this beer is disguised very well by the maltiness sweetness and creaminess.

Admittedly, I am new to lovely barleywines and old ales and I credit a few beer with really getting me into the style such as Thomas Hardy 2002, Kuhnhenn 4th Dementia and Kuhnhenn Bourban Barrel Barleywine, but this one exceeds those beers on the levels of mouthfeel and smell for me. Not as balanced and drinkable as some of the others that I've had, but I could definetely sip and enjoy this one all day on a cold winters day or a rainy fall day. Absolute heaven in a bottle....I wanna swim in it.

Harvest Ale (Limited Edition) from J.W. Lees & Co (Brewers) Ltd