Harvest Ale (Limited Edition) | J.W. Lees & Co (Brewers) Ltd

Harvest Ale (Limited Edition)Harvest Ale (Limited Edition)
4.24/5
Exceptional
Harvest Ale (Limited Edition)Harvest Ale (Limited Edition)

J.W. Lees & Co (Brewers) Ltd

3.8/5  rDev -10.4%

3.99/5  rDev -5.9%

4.02/5  rDev -5.2%

4.37/5  rDev +3.1%

2010 edition. Extremely sweet and full. Very good, but in small quantities, for me at least. Cheers!

2008 vintage, opened June, 2016.

Look: Deep orangey-brown. Minimal amount of head, some bubbles around the edge. It somehow still manages to leave a hint of lacing around the glass. It looks like a good English-style barleywine. 4.0

Smell: Cloyingly sweet dark fruit, raisins, figs, toffee, candle wax, green tea. I give it a lot of credit for uniqueness. It has a lot going on. 4.0

Taste: Much smoother and less cloying than the Sherry cask Lees Harvest Ale I had yesterday. Toffee and orange peel. A little bit of cloves and all spice. 4.0

Feel: Minimal carbonation, but not flat. Smooth and soft. 4.0

Overall: Clearly a well-made and unique English barleywine. I think how much you like it is going to depend on much you like the Lees style in general. Each one I've had so far has this interesting flavor that's sort of a combination of orange marmalade and tobacco. I could see it being polarizing. 4.0

4.62/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.31/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.67/5  rDev +10.1%

2002 Vintage I think I bought somewhere in the U.S.

Poured nearly black with lot's of sediment and a very loose head. Super rich aroma with date squares, sugar, molasses, dark fruits, and rye bread. Very sweet in the mouth with a flavour that resembles those old school molasses Haloween candies as well as licorice, leather, and tawny port. Viscous mouthfeel with very low carbonation.

This was pretty lovely and showed some flavours that suggest the ageing was spot on. A wonderful treat that cements this beer as a classic.

3.62/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.91/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.66/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

2008 vintage. Great sweet toffee and caramel upfront, but then a weird plasticy (perhaps slightly oxidized) taste dominates the back end. Wish the beer would have finished better.

4.12/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2012 vintage served at cellar Temps in a snifter

Appearance: wonderful bottle design although I think it's a bit small. Beer poured out a thin but dark caramel color with a small head. Some sediment in the bottle

Nose: caramel, toffee, raisins, prunes, dark fruits, port wine, no booz, classic English Barleywine

Taste: follows the nose. Fairly sweet but with a nice fruitiness like raisins, dried apricots, fruit cake, toffee, caramel, very smooth, some age showing, port wine

Overall: classic. Let's see how is does with time

4.54/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.16/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.97/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

2004 vintage (12 years old)

Pours a murky brown with no head.
Aroma is very sweet. Toffee and dark fruit are dominant. Some sherry aromas also. Quite pleasant.
Taste is also very sweet. I think it has crossed over from sweet to cloying. Raisins and figs. Maybe some overripe cherries. Caramel and toffee.
Mouthfeel is interesting because it has zero carbonation. Slick and slightly syrupy but if call it medium-full body.

4.27/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2/27/17 Had 2009 vintage. Seven years was too long with the way the store kept this. But, oh well.
Far more murky sediment than the others I've Had in vintages past and since.
Aromas are still there of sherry-like sweetness, but the smells seem off.
The second Taste is much better than the first... but clearly, I cellared this one too long.
Rating? I'll stick to my original because keeping this too long was my mistake. I'll update my rating and review as soon as I Have another one in my cellar. 2013, I believe.

2/28/17 Worried that my stash of Lees was deteriorating fast, I went to my cellar the very next evening and pulled the next oldest, 2013. Relieved that 2013 was still quite good, my lesson is learned: never drink a beer after its time. The first Smell and Taste of 2013 was as good as the last. This ale was ready. So was I.

Reviewed in Roger Protz' CAMRA classic "300 Beers To Try Before You Die!"
MJ's 1999 "Guide" gave it 3.5 stars of 4 and said it has a "warm, fruity (lemony?) aroma; a smooth palate; and a lot of hoppy dryness in the finish."

3.5/5  rDev -17.5%

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.37/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.85/5  rDev -9.2%

This bottle is marked as a 11-2012 cellar release.

Appearance: Light murky muddy brown with hints of orange. The head is very short and eggshell white which fades out instantly.

Aroma: Light sweet caramel aroma. No alcohol at all which is very impressive.

Taste: It has a fantastic array of flavors here. There is this sweet caramel flavor up front and then there is this light smokey woody flavor along with a fairly good amount of tobacco flavor. No alcohol at all. I really like the light char flavor that is in there. It adds an edge to the sweetness and cuts into the caramel.

Mouthfeel: It's very smooth and easy to drink with a slightly off-dry finish. Very drinkable, especially for 11.5% ABV.

Overall: it's a very decadent English Barleywine. I really enjoyed the flavors and the nice sweet flavor of the beer married with that rich earthy and toasty wood and tobacco flavor. I would recommend it.

On a side note I want to mention that the bottle is only 9.3oz/275mL which is disappointing. I didn't figure this into my rating of the beer but I wish they stuck with a standard bottle size.

4.75/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.08/5  rDev -3.8%