Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Horny Goat Watermelon Wheat | Horny Goat Brewing Co.

Horny Goat Watermelon WheatHorny Goat Watermelon Wheat

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Availability: Summer

Added by BDIMike on 07-04-2012

4.37/5  rDev +40.1%

My local, frequent in-person trader, tone77, recently dropped this off for me in his latest batch of beer in support of The CANQuest ™. I am always anxious to see what he has for me when he stops by!

From the CAN: "Beer Brewed with Watermelon Juice"; “Carefully Crafted Famously Fun.”; “Drink Responsibly”; “Watermelon Wheat is an unbelievably refreshing and great tasting summer brew. The backbone of this beer is heavy on the wheat with just a touch of Vienna malt for complexity, while German hops balance the fruit perfectly.” Great graphics, also, with the Goat and his equally Horny Ewe on the beach, raising a toast while having a good time.

I had a good time when I heard the Crack! and looked in to see a brimful CAN. I celebrated my elation with an inverted Glug which resulted in two brief fingers of French Vanilla-colored head that quickly fell to wisps. Color was solid Gold (SRM = 5) with NE-plus quality clarity, allowing me to see into the future. Beer is in my future, apparently. I invited my new friends, Mammon, Midas and Croesus for some, but they declined, saying that watermelons and goats just are not their bag. I understand CANpletely! Nose was light on the watermelon and I believe them when they said “Beer Brewed with Watermelon Juice”. It was not over the top, cloying or CANdy-like, all of which are the results of artificial flavoring. Mouthfeel was medium. Going back to what I was saying before, this had a nicely understated watermelon flavor. I agree that the grassiness of their hops was a nice CANpliment and the wheat and malt kept it all in check. Finish was semi-dry, not really all that sweet, as I have been alluding to all along. It was a bit high at 5.6% to be sessionable, but I would definitely put some in the Summer cooler for people who don’t dig my first choice of AIPAs.

My original, initial bottle review follows:

I found this Goat hanging out in the cooler at The Friendly Greek yesterday and I figured that he and his Old Lady could help me to beat the heat. I love the label with the Horny Goat hanging out with his Horny Ewe in a watermelon hot tub! Rock on, you two!

From the bottle: "Craft Brewed In Wisconsin"; "Beer Brewed with Watermelon Juice".

My initial pour created a two-finger pillow of fluffy, bone-white head with decent retention. Nose had a light scent of watermelon, which was nice, because I have had these types of beers where the watermelon was overpowering. I remember my babysitter neighbor and her friend once doused each other with watermelon perfume before spending the night with my brother and I. Gag-O-Rama! Color was an oh-so-slightly hazy golden-yellow and only King Midas showed any interest. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium and the taste was just right - watermelon, yes, but not cloying or overpowering. It tasted like real watermelon, not something mimicking the flavor that came from a laboratory test tube. Finish was semi-dry and the watermelon taste just kind of lingered, a pleasant reminder of summer days gone by.

4.24/5  rDev +35.9%

4.1/5  rDev +31.4%

Boom! this is a great Watermelon beer! just like Hell or High Watermelon I really enjoy this. Slight watermelon taste compliments the wheat beer. A good summer brew to share with friends. I enjoyed this and would buy again as you can drink one after another.

Bottom Line: Good!

4.09/5  rDev +31.1%

12 oz.

Pours a light hazy gold, over an inch of white fluffy head dissipates slowly.

Smells of grassy barley malts with a light citrus and mild semi-sweet fruitiness.

Tastes of mild grassy malts, light citrus, and a melon sweetness. A little white grape as well.

Light to medium body with a soft carbonation on the roof of the mouth.

A nice light session-candidate wheat ale, great summer beer, goes down easy, good flavor balance, surprisingly good body. Unless you object to the melon element, this is hard to knock. Not a superstar beer, but well worth trying.

Can had July 4 2015. Maybe a little sweet but great poolside beer

3.94/5  rDev +26.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Great for what it was meant to be.....a summer beer.

3.9/5  rDev +25%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.83/5  rDev +22.8%

Pours a golden straw color. A good amount of carbonation creates a thin white head that laces throughout the drink.
Aroma is very clean. A nice crisp wheat smell with nice malt backbone.
Taste is very nicely balanced. A good malt and straw wheat base. The watermelon hints come in at the end. They are very undertoned, which is great for someone who isn't a huge fruit beer guy (me).
Mouthfeel is good. A nice amount of thickness and smoothness. Not as crisp as the usual refreshing summer beer.
Drinkability is very good on this beer. A very nice balance and dry finish leaves the palate wanting another sip. Very good beer to complement the summer season.

3.77/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.74/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.65/5  rDev +17%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Horny Goat Watermelon Wheat from Horny Goat Brewing Co.