(512) IPA | (512) Brewing Company

(512) Brewing Company
Texas, United States
512brewing.com

Style: American IPA

(512) India Pale Ale is a big, aggressively dry-hopped American IPA with smooth bitterness (~65 IBU) balanced by medium maltiness. Organic 2-row malted barley, loads of hops, and great Austin water create an ale with apricot and vanilla aromatics that lure you in for more.

Added by wagenvolks on 07-04-2008

4.85/5  rDev +19.5%

BEST IPA in TEXAS BAR NONE!!!
OK....here we go. Where do I start. Thank God an IPA of this character exists in Texas (it's about time). The brewer must have been thinking
big state...big hop aroma and flavor. A nice amber hue greets you with a small head and backhands you with a hop slap, but the backhand feels so good, just like daddy used to dish them out. After you have finished sniffin the aromatics of this exceptional beer like cocaine it gets even better. Full mouth malty grain feel that hints at a substantial alcohol hop
bitterness that only the privy northwesterners get to experience on a regular basis. This hopped out beast makes me feel like I am camping
in Yakima Valley itself and to top it off, I just found out that it is orgasmic, I mean ORGANIC. A rock solid IPA form Texas that is my
cornerstone at the bar. Thanks 512. I think that a little bit of the
west coast made it out to Texas.

4.77/5  rDev +17.5%

Fantastic IPA! Not overly hopped but still acceptable to the hophead. This is an extremely drinkable IPA comparable to any of the great IPAs available on the market. This was the first beer I've had by the Austin based brewer but I will be sure to try more.

4.75/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.69/5  rDev +15.5%

Well...
I am writing this from M√ľnchen, while drinking a great Andechs Dopplebock Dunkel, and all I can say is I miss this beer. I am IPA biased so take this in consideration. This beer has the right combination of citrusy hoppiness and aroma. Most drinkable beer I have tasted (again for my taste). There are one-bottle (one-glass) beers that may rate higher in taste, but can you drink three glasses...
Never seen it in bottle so there is your excuse to go to Austin.

4.68/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.67/5  rDev +15%

Appearance: Slight haze. Copper colored. Medium head.

Smell: Citrusy hops. Slight malty aroma.

Taste: Stellar balance between orange bitterness and malt sweetness. One of the best american IPA's I've had flavor wise. I attribute that to the freshness of having it on tap in Austin

Mouthfeel: Almost spot on. Could use a little more body. Carbonation perfect.

Drinkability: one of the better IPA's I've had. Great job

4.67/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.63/5  rDev +14%

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It pours a golden amber with plenty of hops on the nose. The taste veers more towards the citrusy hops, which could be why I like it so much. The (512) IPA starts with strong hops which gives way to a slightly sweet bready maltiness and ends with a good hop bitterness. It is a very smooth and well balanced IPA with a deep profile that makes this a highly drinkable brew. I can't hide that this is my favorite local core brew and IPA. Even better that it is easy to find on tap in Austin.

4.59/5  rDev +13.1%

Reviewed 07.01.09 in notebook while traveling to the great city.

Nose is nicely hoppy - very uber-American - citric, pine, pungent... almost body odor strength pungency... and spicy hot. Smells heavenly.

Pours dark yellow / pale amber with moderate clarity. Nice head. Looks good.

The hops plunge into a soft foamy sea of malt - creamy, sweet, and toasty/biscuit. Nice hands-off bitterness via hop. Clean hop flavor, amazingly clean for the strength of hop. Also amazing is the balance. Lots of hops, but the malt steps up to take it. Great mouthfeel. Tart and quenchingly sour. Slightly oily. Hop flavor follows nose and is more restrained and less pungent/sharp. Tastes great. Feels great. Great drinkability.

The first time I tried this I found it to be so pungent that I didn't like it at all, I'm so glad a gave it a second try. I wonder if it was my palate or the beer that shifted...

4.56/5  rDev +12.3%

4.54/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.53/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

(512) IPA from (512) Brewing Company