(512) TWO | (512) Brewing Company

(512) Brewing Company
Texas, United States
512brewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Our 2nd Anniversary release is an Double IPA heavily hopped with over 4 lbs/bbl of Simcoe, Magnum, Nugget and Ahtanum. This is a big, malty ale with delicate hop and rich malt aroma, complex hop flavor and sustained smooth hop bitterness. Hops are added from beginning to end during the brewing process and, like most (512) ales, this one is made using over 80% USDA certified organic ingredients. Not to be missed.

Added by wagenvolks on 08-20-2010

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last

3.7/5  rDev -6.3%

I have mixed feelings about this one.

It looked very appetizing. It had all of the hallmarks of what you'd expect to see in a double IPA. It even smelled very hoppy and full of citrus. It seems all good on that front, but there's one main problem.

The taste was, at least to me, very weak for a DIPA. It wasn't bad, and it was not terrible. It was simply not as hoppy and complex as I thought it should have been. I can taste the hops, the sweetness, and the alcohol coming through. However, it's not as nuanced and as hoppy as I thought it should have been.

Overall, if they are going to make it again, I hope they kick couple of notches up in the complexity department. With more practice, I'm sure 512 would do a very good job, though. Until then, I'll go elsewhere for a Double IPA.

3.7/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed at the Flying Saucer in Houston

Poured from the tap into a 10 oz goblet

A: pours a honey brown orange with 2 fingers of head, retains for quite a while, light lacing

S: fully of hops and pine resin, no real fruit or malt component.

T: Follows the nose, piney and bitter resin. Some fruity malty floavor rounds out the profile at the tail end.

M: bitterness lingers forever. nice carbonation adds a mild spiciness

O: a nice offering, glad I got to try it. Not your typical sweet DIPA, very hoppy and not much distracting malt profile

(512) Two, double IPA
on tap at Whipin 8/18/2011
A sightly yellowish orange amber, little bit hazy, med thin light khaki head
S cascade hop oil, some grassy grain
T like their ipa, orange citrus acidic, but a bit more sweet and a bit more sour grassy/tangy malt and more bitter finish.
M medium body with some cloying hop oil.
D good cascady DIPA, aggressive aroma and bittering hops, malt tanginess, and some slightly sour/grassy grain.

3.92/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured into a (512) TWO nonic tumbler at the anniversary party.

Appearance: Copper orange appearance with a white head of about a finger thick that fades into a thin lacing on the top.

Aroma: Grapefruit and hints of tropical fruit, in my opinion a little more diverse then their IPA.

Taste: Strong bitterness upfront, which was enjoyable, with a nice malty balance and a bitter lingering finish. The flavor profile consists of grapefruit, pine, and slight citrusy flavors.

Mouthfeel: A little high on the carbonation, with a nice dry finish and lingering bitterness.

Overall: I enjoyed this offering more than I did their IPA. I think the diversity in the hop profile and the fact that it didn’t taste like grapefruit juice as appealing to me.

3.73/5  rDev -5.6%

Had this at the Houston Flying Saucer during their 10th birthday party.

A - Poured a copper color with a white head that leaves lacing behind

S - Is of caramel malt and a good bit of citrus hops

T - Follows the nose with citrus hops on a caramel malt base

M - This beer has a medium body with medium carbonation to it

D - I enjoyed this beer quit a bit sure it wasn't the best IPA I've had on cask but it was still a very drinkable beer worth grabbing if you see it around

3.68/5  rDev -6.8%

From notes 10/13/10. On-tap at Crickett's in Waco.

A- Burnt copper, lots of rich and very fine lacing. One finger of off-white head.

S- Caramel, toffee, hops, mildly floral, very sweet aroma.

T/M- Medium/heavy body, whip cream texture, caramel, hoppy finish.

D- Very entertaining and worth trying if you see it. It's not my favorite for the style, but it's pretty good. I will have it again.

Pint on Cask at Meddlesome Moth in Dallas...
Sorry for the short review, coming from my notes.

from cask, so not much head or carbonation, but thats expected... Got my pint, and the first thing I smelled was orange juice. Wha? yes. n the nose ended up being a mixture of orange/grapefruit juice. this is by far the most citrus I have ever smelled on anything excluding juice... possibly.
Taste is exactly the same, I want this for breakfast, this is incredible... more incredible is knowing that it is 9% alcohol. This seriously tastes like a mix of orange juice and grapefruit juice... one of the craziest things I have had in a while. I honestly dont know how to rate this, as it doesnt taste like a beer. crazy.

3.79/5  rDev -4.1%

Tried at the Addison Flying Saucer, taking from short hand notes, so describtions will be short.

First off: this was the end of the keg. I got about half a chalice of it, but I got that for free!!! So free beer is always good.

Being the end of the keg, there was tons of head, but when that died off, the beer was burnt orange.

I was in a bar, so my already weak nose can't give a review of this.

The flavor doesn't have much of a hop bite, maybe this is because it's the end of a keg, but that was a disappointment. The rest of the flavor was a nice carmel malt flavor with a decent bitter finish. The mouthfeel was a nice solid body to it.

3.95/5  rDev 0%

Had on tap at the Holy Grail Pub in Plano tx. The beer pours deep whiskey red with a luscious khaki head that sticks to
everything. The suds calm to a thin skin of lace and froth.

Smell is very satisfying with loads of malts and tropical fruit. It's got the scent profile of a subtle hop bomb mixed with biscuit grains.

Taste starts with those sweet heavy grains but quickly reveals it's hoppy underbelly. Pineapple and light grapefruit own this beer. Delicious.

The mouthfeel is a little rough. I'm all for a hop bitter beer but I find this one to be prickly on it's approach. There is a nice pinch to the tongue that fades into a dry malt finish which is very nice. A smooth carbonation doesn't distract and really let's the flavors shine. All in all a damn fine beer.

4.22/5  rDev +6.8%

Drank on-tap at the Flying Saucer in Addison.

The beer pours dark reddish-copper color with a white head. The aroma is great. I get a lot of pineapple, oranges and pine notes. This is definitely going to be a hop bomb. The flavor is a lot of piney hops, but I also get some caramel malt and orange citrus notes. Medium to high bitterness. Not the beer for the faint of heart, this beer is coming at you with a lot of hop bitterness and hop flavor. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A very good Double IPA that I found very drinkable. My glass was gone before I knew it. One of the best beers I have tried from 512.

3.01/5  rDev -23.8%

On cask at the Anvil in Houston. My 1000 review. Lets see how this goes.

A: Pours a dark and hazy reddish/copper color. A two finger white head forms with good retention. Plenty of sticky lace is left behind.
S: Big resiny pine up front and center. Citrus and a strong bitterness. A syrupy sweetness tries to balance everything out, but it does not work.
T: Again, a very large pine flavor up front. Resiny and syrupy. Big citrus and bitterness. A light sweetness and bready flavor lingers. Plenty of alcohol as well.
M/D: A medium to full body. There is good carbonation and creaminess, but to much of a syrupy consistency. Lots of alcohol with a strong pine, resiny, and syrupy presents makes this hard to drink. Without a doubt a one and done for me.

Pretty much a standard DIPA. Lots of resiny pine and bitterness without much balance or nuance. There is not a lot here that I would recommend.

2.31/5  rDev -41.5%

Had this on draft at the Gingerman Austin on 9/3/10.

Firstly, I love DIPAs and I love supporting Austin breweries, but I really don't like this beer. Completely over the top and unbalanced. Way too much bittering hops and not enough finishing hops.

A: Best part of the beer. A dark red/amber with great clarity.

S: Very lacking for a DIPA. Quite a bit of alcohol apparent.

T: Cloying bitterness accentuated by a weak malt profile. Alcohol very apparent.

M: Fairly dry with little residual coating.

D: Didn't finish mine. Very disappointing.

Austinites are excited to have a new local DIPA but I challenge anyone to try this next to a Racer X or Ruination and not be disappointed with the TWO.

4.69/5  rDev +18.7%

Pours a copper/amber with a finger-width dun head. Decent lacing. The nose is citrus but not overwhelmingly so--very balanced and appealing--makes you want to get to the tasting.

The taste is similar to the regular (512) IPA in that the malt is much more dominant than you might expect in this style. That said, the malt is perfectly balanced by hop bitterness, making this an extremely drinkable DIPA with no hint of the higher ABV. I can put more of these away in one sitting than I ought to.

3.96/5  rDev +0.3%

On tap at (512) second anniversary party, 28 Aug 2010.

Served in a ~12 oz. TWO glass. Small off white head. Lightly carbonated. Deep copper amber in color, slight haziness. Caramel and resin aroma. Nutty, malty and resiny. Some orange peel. Enough bitterness to balance the malt but expected a little more. Sticky body and mouthfeel. Alcohol warming but not hot. Finish is bittersweet, aftertaste is almondy and orangey.

Seems more like a barleywine than a double IPA.

3.78/5  rDev -4.3%

Growler filled at Freetail, first pour form the keg!

A: Dark amber caramel color. Soft, dense, and creamy, white head. Good lacing too. Head dissipates but there is still a soft thin head left behind.

S: Resiny pine and caramel malt. Fairly one dimensional for me but my nose isn't that great. Still a good double IPA, meaning lots of pine and lots of caramel. No real alcohol in there which is good.

T: Lots of pine. I didn't get as much pine in the aroma as I do in the taste. Sweet pine and caramel. It is kind of like eating a pine tree, or at least it's needles. Slight alcohol in the finish.

M: This is on the fuller side for a Double IPA in my book. It does however have a good dry finish.

D: Very good. I really like this beer but I wouldn't say it is a great double IPA. I just think more hop aroma is needed and less body. If you can get it go for it, but don't break your back.

4.65/5  rDev +17.7%

A: on tap it doesn't have a huge head on it, which the quickly dissipates. As one drinks it, TWO creates beautiful lacing all along the glass. It pours a beautiful dark amber color.

S: sweet pine-y hops, and lots of them. There doesn't seem to be a lot of malt in the nose, but I don't consider that a problem at all.

Taste: so much pine flavored hop flavor, I love this. It's not overwhelmingly bitter though, as there is a noticeable balance of pine hops and caramel hops. The hops linger on the pallet after drinking.

Mouthfeel: carbonation seems to be spot on, with nice small bubbles.
Drinkability: scary good. This is a dangerous beer that you just want to keep drinking.

4.13/5  rDev +4.6%

On-tap at Opal Divine's Marina. Just happened to swing by after work and TWO as it was being tapped. First pull from the keg.

Shows a deep, chestnut-copper body with the slightest hint of haze. The well-retained cap of custard head deposits thick rings of lace along the inside of the pint glass. Aroma doesn't knock my socks of with hoppiness, but instead packs nice balance of caramel malts and floral, piny hops. A bit biscuity as well.

TWO could easily be mistaken for SN's Bigfoot (think 2 months old as the aggressiveness of the hops just start to fade). It's that good. Big notes of resinous, piny woodenness from the hops with some slight brandy-like booze. The malts taste equally as impressive, with honey biscuit and lightly toasted toffee. Full-bodied mouthfeel and a tightly-packed carbonation level. Never gets too heavy on the tongue, though, like some IIPA's tend to do. All in all, another well-crafted release from the talented (512). Not the hoppiest version of the style, but fans of Bigfoot will achieve beer nirvana. Definitely recommended.

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last