Augustiner Bräu Christmas Bock Bier | Augustiner Bräu - Kloster Mülln

Austria
augustinerbier.at

Style: Bock

Availability: Fall

Christmas time is also a special time for beer drinkers – particularly so in Salzburg. This is demonstrated year after year, for great festivities need to be washed down with something "strong".

Available from the middle of November to the end of December, our festive Bock Beer is made using Stadlau Pilsen and Kara-Extra-Hell malts, as well as Hallertau-Spalt-Select and Saaz hops by Barth & Sohn, Nuremberg.

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 03-01-2005

Liked:
3.94/5
Alströms:

Reviews by foles:
4.16/5  rDev +5.6%

During my visit to the Brewery in Salzburg, I tried this beer served on gravity from the wood. As was the case with the Marzen, the appearance was sensational, with the head overflowing down the side of my krug as I walked away from where the barman poured my beer at record speed (slightly slower than the Marzen and from a smaller barrel).

The taste had the buttery / caramel element that was also present in the Marzen, except there was a clear kick and maybe more natural carbonation in the beer that gave me the impression that it deserved a little respect. To be honest the Bock is not one of favourite styles, but I really enjoyed this one and it was a good nightcap after a few Marzen beers and a nice meal at the Monastery.

3.61/5  rDev -8.4%

Pours amber with large and slightly off-white head that stays stable in almost two finger thickness for very long time and forms thick and patchy lacing.

Aroma is malty with presence of alcohol and some grassy notes. Taste is sharp with some roasted malt and notes of walnut, some bitterness and again presence of alcohol can be felt. Leaves quite long lasting and bittery aftertaste.

Quite nice bock, but not as good as I expected.

4.06/5  rDev +3%