Bière De Noel | Snake River Brewing Company & Brewpub

Snake River Brewing Company & Brewpub
Wyoming, United States
snakeriverbrewing.com

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

A spiced Belgian style Ale for cozying up with, BDN has grains of paradise, Anise and dried figs added for festive revelry. Only available at the pub, we also have an extremely limited amount of bottle conditioned Biere De Noel which makes for a great present. Stop in and grab one before they’re all gone!

Added by JohnGalt1 on 03-17-2011

3.74/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

On tap at Albertsons. Dark but clear brown, immediate big airy head, which subsides to a creamy skin. Woody, fruity, licorice. Body seems a bit light, all around nice presentation, well rounded Belgian.

3.79/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.78/5  rDev +0.3%

2010 750 bottle given to us by Cory at Snake River a couple of weeks back ... Inflatablechair and I shared this one tonight .... It was the only thing in the fridge that looked longingly at me when I opened the door.

Pours very clear amber.... long lasting lite tannish head.... great retention and lacing.

** see below for my "negatives"

The nose shows a pretty nice standard BSDA.... a bit of lite yeasty phenols and some hard to tack down estery fruitiness... but the main player in the aroma is a lite yet ever present licorice or anise note.

Sammy mentioned "cola" before I took my first sip.. so maybe that was tattooed in my memory... but I swear there is a "supermarket brand" cola characteristic... the anise and possibly some cardamom play well with a good Belgian profile.. the phenols speak of clove... but the fruity esters make me think apricot (?!) weird ... a bit of toasty malt helps tie this flavor together nicely.... minor bready notes with warmth help bring this back into a good BSDA territory.

Body seems a tad light for the style... carbonation is everpresent but small bubble and sorta creamy... pretty nice.

Thanks again to Cory and the crew at SNBC for the hospitality.. the folks in Jackson were just off the charts awesome.

4.5/4/3.5/3.5/4

**I normally really don't like "spiced" beers... especially spiced Belgians... and I REALLY don't appreciate anything "licorice", but honestly the spice notes in this brew were done with a judicious hand and work well with the overall beer. I personally would like more yeasty notes and lesser spice.. but really, the spicey elements do well and make for a nicely drinkable brew.

The Boise peeps have a couple more bottles of this one... I would like to try it again, but then maybe some other folks deserve it more than I do.

Bière De Noel from Snake River Brewing Company & Brewpub