DarthVader Imperial Stout | Snake River Brewing Company & Brewpub

Added by Bitterbill on 02-03-2013

4.2

Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 3
4.22/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bought the Growler at Liquor Shed. The most expensive Growler I've ever bought at $23.50 but it's a one/off, a brew from a winner of a home brew contest.

It's pitch black with a small tannish head of foam that does not last that long so there's not much lacing.

It smells boozy, like it was aged in some sort of barrel but I can't confirm this as there's not a lot of info about it out there. Plenty of dark fruitiness and chocolate in the smell too.

Good chocolate notes in the taste with the dark fruits I mentioned in the smell. Plums, raisins, lots of heat from the 12% abv. No discernible bitterness at all, not even from the chocolate. Very malt and booze forward.

FULL bodied with light carbonation. Very nice mouthfeel.

Gawd, this is a very strong IS that I figure now as a Bourbon barrel aged wonder. Kudos to the fella named Ryan who won the contest. I can see that a lot of care and loving went into this brew but...it's just more than a tad stronger than my personal preferences dictate for the style. Still, a firm thumbs up.

Bottom line, I'm sure other BAs would absolutely DIG this brew. I'm sorry that the vast majority of you will never get the chance to try it unless you can trade me for it before the keg kicks.

DarthVader Imperial Stout from Snake River Brewing Company & Brewpub