80 Shilling Scotch Ale | Capitol City Brewing Company

Capitol City Brewing Company
United States
capcitybrew.com

Style: Scottish Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-05-2002

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 2
Reviews by cerevisiaephilus:
3.95/5  rDev n/a

This is a pretty big beer. I like it a lot. I was at a conference in DC at the new conference center and this brewery was only a couple blocks away, so...we went. This beer was very nice, very strong. Being a more or less sweet beer, I don't think I could have handled more than one pint. In fact, I should have gotten the 10oz. But a very malty, true to the style interpretation.

3.95/5  rDev n/a

I missed this on the bier-menu initially, but noticed it written on a bier-blackboard at Cap City, so I had to give it a try. Had an amber-caramel like color, a bit of lace, and a tan, thin head. Some malty sweetness, and peaty-notes came through in the aroma; nice nose! The body was, in general, about medium, but it was just a mite rough on the tongue. Initial malt sweetness shows up, with a hint of caramel and some subtle smokiness. After the initial taste, though, it gets somewhat bitter. As it warms, the bitterness seems to recede in favor of the malt. I'd like to see it a bit sweeter throughout, but overall it's a decent bier.

L: 4 | S: 4 | T: 4 | F: 3.5 | D: 4