Siamese Twin Ale | Uncommon Brewers

3.6/5
Alströms:
4.2

3.82/5  rDev +6.1%

I picked this beer up at a deli in Carmel-by-the-Sea.

Poured into a tulip glass

Appearance- dark brown color, thin head but very good retention

Smell- dark fruits, spices, sweet smell

Taste- toffee, dark fruit

Mouthfeel- medium bodied, nice carbonation, you can literally hear the bubbles.

Drinkability- I thought it was pretty good. I usually don't drink dubbels but still pretty good.

4.25/5  rDev +18.1%

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

3.81/5  rDev +5.8%

16 oz tall boy can. Thats right, a Dubbel served out of a tall boy. This beer has my full attention. I got this one from the great Murchmac, and I had never heard of it. So needless to say, this is a pleasant suprise to a can whore (which I am). Straight from the can into a chalice, the way the gods intended.

A: Big time pop when I pulled the tab on this can. Much bigger than expected, and much better than I have ever heard from a can. Got a little bit of foamage coming out. The body is a very nice and murky, oak brown. Lots of haze in the body and when held to the light you get more of some honey hues coming out. The head is large and relentless. Got a good two fingers of light brown head built up on one of the most careful pours I have ever performed. The head is very thick and rocky, creating lace that is just thick and rocky. The glass is easily coated with this fine lace. Very impressive IMO.

S: When I cracked the can I got excited because a big whiff of malt and spice came out, but when I stick my nose in the chalice I am not getting as much as I expected. The malt is a bit sweet with a nice bready quality. Then you get all that earthy goodness that has some Asian influence. A really nice grassy aroma along with those lime leaves and lemongrass. Coriander is absolutely there, but it is light. The aromas are very nice, but I only wish they would come out in a more amplified way.

T: Whoa! Big flavor that pulls no punches. Really deceptive given the light aroma. You get walloped with some heavy coriander coming out first and foremost. Then comes that Belgian yeast and some nice bready malt. The malt appears to be a bit sweet but it is easily cut by that coriander presence and the spices that follow. There is a nice and earthy citrus profile coming out on the back end. Nice and slightly spicy notes mingle with the cooling of the lemongrass and the lime leaves. There is a bit of medicinal flavor that comes out with some alcohol to finish it off. At times that medicinal flavor can be a bit much. Still, very good.

M: A nice and slightly heavy on the medium in body. Has a pretty rich and slightly creamy feel that glides across the palate. There is a slight bitterness that lingers. Alcohol has some weight and some bite. Has some heat coming up on the palate, throat and some warmth in the belly. Aftertaste is that medicinal quality along with those citrus spices.

D: You know, when I read that this was an Asian inspired Dubbel, I didn't know what to think. After sampling it, I have to say it works. The flavors are really big and that does take away from the drinkability to me because it really weighs on the palate. With that said, its still an enjoyable brew and there is very little wrong with it IMO. The flavors are interesting and enjoyable. Sure the aroma is a bit weak and the flavors can be a bit heavy, but screw it. Damn impressive take on the style and a hell of impressive brew coming out of that can. Hell yeah!

3.32/5  rDev -7.8%

First sighting I have had of Uncommon Brewers down in SoCal. I'm a big fan of their Baltic Porter and hope to see that one here as soon as can be managed.

Whoa nelly, this can is a foamer, dropped it right into my glass and poured slowly for a fairly huge light amber head. The beer itself is a sort of apple juice brown. Suspended yeast the further I get in the can, but I got a decently clear pour off the top of this. Decent retention for as fizzly as this was, though little lace to be had.

While this is a freaky twist on a dubbel, they are traditionally estery and fruity, and this beer keeps that in mind with a tropical fruit twist. The kaffir lime leaves and lemongrass give it a crisp citrus scent. Lightly spicy, but I cannot pick out the coriander. I also get a bit of apple juice sweetness which is also unique when it all matches up with a bit of Belgian style yeast. I'm going to have to say this one smells good, intriguing even!

Lightly sweet citrus at the very front, then an intesifying fruitiness with apples and raisins comes along and intensifies, leading to a quite spicy Belgian yeast redux. Long spicy finish ends with a bit of earth. Tropical twist on the fruitiness of a dubbel, and surprisingly spicy. In general, the kind of beer I would refer to as "interesting" though probably would not go for again. Lightly bodied with a very big dose of carbon dioxide, much too much of it. Enough to damage the score.

4.21/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

2.9/5  rDev -19.4%

Tossed this into the pile when I was one short of a six of shit ciders I've yet to try. It's a hobby of mine. :)

Gouden Carolus goblet. No BB date, no rust, all good.

Sandy caked head, muddy orange/brown body. I upset some protein at the end. My bad.

Smell is a bit lemon wood polish, resiny DIPA, whiskey sour, & aloe. I sort of knew what was coming, but it's still a bit odd.

Upfront tang, bitter peel, heavy coriander. Too much coriander without a comparable malt base. Big herbal bitters. Malt is overshadowed. Bland yeasty middle. Subtly sweet rind & coriander on the finish. Bit of a metallic note. Ugly alcohol.

Frothy throughout. Though not harsh, it's distracting. It's beaded really well, but not what I need. Obvious ABV. It hurts.

I could of handled more lime I think. Not enough quality lime beers out there. Don't be shy.

2.5/5  rDev -30.6%

4.5/5  rDev +25%

3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

pours a rich golden red murky hue with a two-finger ruddy-tan head that fades quickly and leaves fair lacing.

aroma of sugar, maple syrup, ginger and green apple. a hint of yeastiness and a touch of lemon (lemongrass?)

mouth is sweet. fruity, tart, yeasty. lemon or maybe lemongrass and some interesting citrus. my mind wants me to think this is going funky, but the addition of lime and lemongrass to a dubbel would do this. interesting.

mouth is full, slick, a bit sticky, with light but somehow prickly carbonation. it kind of works for the flavors, although it's right on the edge of cloying.

admittedly, i'm not a big belgian fan. but I like interesting ingredients... I really wanted to be able to give this one an a+ based on concept alone, but it just falls a bit short. a bit sweet, a bit cloying, a bit muddled, and kind of murky. But still interesting and pretty damn drinkable given everything. I'll probably drink another one or two.

A - ox blood red with a generous head which dissipates to a thin cap

S - red grape musk, red wine, some sweet malts

T - some brown sugar, red wine again, some tart flavours, subtle banana on the finish

M - smooth, good body, light carbonation finishes sweet

4.25/5  rDev +18.1%

3.67/5  rDev +1.9%

A: in glass its color appears dark brown, when held up to a light
it appears more maroon to ruby red. Head was about a finger thick didn't last too long but did leave a thin layer and a halo around the glass.

S: definitely different, my first sniff I instantly thought of mountain dew slurpee. Sweet fruit, lime, a swirl brings out more of a malt sweetness.

T: gladly the mountain dew that was in the aroma did not carry over to the taste. There is a bitter lime and lemon. Malt is sweet but the lime gives a refreshing "twang" that I've never experienced in a dubble. Aftertaste is a long lasting lime and slightly spicy.

M: seem a little bit lacking, could be a bit heavier, it could be the lime making it seem light but not too sure exactly if that's it.

O: uncommon, yes. Different, yes. Great, not really, more toward good. I would say at a minimum give this a try.

3.45/5  rDev -4.2%

Pours a murky orangy brown with an exploding orangy tan head. Expands up to 3 fingers before slowly dying down to a quarter inch. The color is really ugly, I'm not gonna lie, but there is pretty good retention with some lacing.

Smell is of lime and something slightly metallic. Not as unpleasant as that sounds.

Taste isn't too good. The first thing you notice, which is really distracting, is that it is overly carbonated. Really sparkly. The taste itself is something like a light Belgian dubbel with a lime squirted in it. A bit of the coriander comes out, but not as spicy as I expected.

The mouthfeel is thin and overly carbonated. This is pretty crisp and clean, and the alcohol is well hidden, however.

I could drink a lot of this, even at 8.5%

Overall, not a bad beer, especially at 10 bucks for 4 16oz cans, but not my favorite. Probably won't buy another 4pk.

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

4.42/5  rDev +22.8%

An extra from the clean-up session of the EBF last winter. Thanks!

Nice appearance. Brown body with a respectable finger of tan head.

Nose is sweet, heavy, spice and citrus. Complex and intriguing.

Flavor is rich and spicy dubbel, with a finish of interesting and challenging extras. Coriander I definitely get, the Thai contributions are a bit masked to me, but still very tasty and interesting.

Mouthfeel is slick and rich with a zip on the finish. A mouthfull indeed.

Overall rating is quite high. I love that this beer of such high complexity is available in a can.

3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Siamese Twin Ale from Uncommon Brewers