Bacon Brown Ale | Uncommon Brewers

uncommonbrewers.com

Style: American Brown Ale

Added by illidurit on 02-12-2010

4.28/5  rDev +35.4%

The CANQuest (TM) has been in hiatus for far too long! It is time for me to get Crackin' & Gluggin' again, posthaste. This beauty was scored recently at The Fridge in Lancaster and I love that something like this is certified "Organic", so much so that I opened one for a vegetarian friend of mine. Does this mean that I will eventually be consigned to Hell?

From the CAN: "Uncommon beer for uncommon people" - that puts me in mind of Adam Ant's "Ant Music for Ant People" and the later compilation, "Rat Music for Rat People"; "Uncommon Brewers - In 2002, we set out to discover the forgotten potential of an ancient beverage all too often taken for granted. Uncommon Brewers was born out of that exploration. Our products are sourced whenever possible from local farms and growers. Some are even harvested by hand from the hills of Northern California."; "It's a simple fact of life: bacon makes everything better. From eggs to ice cream, delicious bacon is turning up just about everywhere. Our uncommon [CAN]tribution to this cured pork renaissance is the Bacon Brown Ale. This is a West Coast Nut Brown Ale brewed with toasted buckwheat and a generous serving of bacon-cured pork."; "Ale brewed with Buckwheat and Bacon"; "This uncommon beer was brewed to be enjoyed fresh. Store in a cool place and enjoy soon."

No place cooler than my reefer! And so we begin with a Crack 'n' Glug, a sound not heard 'round these parts for some time. I had to move fast as some began to burble out of the aperture as soon as I had it open. This resulted in a massive two-plus fingers of deep-tan head with reasonable retention. It began to leave behind some nice sticky lacing as it fell. Color was a deep brown with ruby/garnet highlights. Nose was malty sweet and there was no question that it was a brown ale, but where's the bacon?!? Mouthfeel was medium-to-full and I got a maple sweetness infused with minty hops on the tongue, but I still was not feeling the bacon. Finish was more hoppy than sweet and while I am not (necessarily) complaining, it seemed like a waste of hops. Rest easy, I rail against Black/Cascadian IPAs also. I poured the remainder of the CAN, hoping that, like a secret surprise in a box of Cracker Jacks, I would find a piece of bacon at the bottom. No soap, or bacon, either. No wonder my vegetarian friend didn't balk ... I think that I am still going to Hell, though. It is too bad that we CANnot rate on truth in advertising because this deserves a low score. MORE bacon is needed!

4.25/5  rDev +34.5%

Pretty decent brown ale that is full bodied and fairly hoppy but not really too bacony. I got a bit of smokiness on the finish but I wouldn't know about the bacon unless I read the can. The buckwheat is not too apparent as well but I applaud the alternative grain use. Fun beer that is a decent brown ale.

3.98/5  rDev +25.9%

Nothing burps better than bacon! (movie line)

Nice looking beer. Nice nose on it too. Seems kind of oily and deep. Flavor is hearty. Nicely robust. Slightly sweet in a brown ale kind of way.

To be frank, I was ready to write this brewery off after all their other offerings just fell way too short for me. But this one works pretty well for me. I bit too thick on the feel and flavor and the carbonation could be toned down; but that's just me being picky.

3.97/5  rDev +25.6%

I feel like this is one of those beers that got a bad first couple reviews and the subsequent reviewers consciously or not, aligned their reviews towards the mean.

Anyway, I like it. Gimmick aside, this is creamy, semi-sweet brown ale with a sneaky hint of smoke and salt. Didn't get any bacon, per se (or umami), but I think this is a well rounded brown ale. It's full body despite a medium amount of alcohol was a real treat.

3.85/5  rDev +21.8%

Pour – fills the glass with a deep, dark, chestnut color. A very rich brown with a nice fluffy off-white head on top. Great looking pour coming out of the can.

Aroma – fairly sweet with a toasted brown bread and doughy aroma along with some slight hints of smokiness as well as dark fruits like red grapes, plums and ripe apples.

Taste – the first sip is a definite mix of flavors. Plenty of those fruit flavors come into play at first, its sweet and malty but in the end there is a lingering smokiness. This is a beer that you'll want to sip many times and let warm up to really allow for the flavors to come out. As my glass warms the flavor profile shifts and the smokiness of the bacon begins to manifest itself slowly and surely. Wow, is this good. Not over the top smokey which is key. You don't want to drink this too quick or too cold or you're liable to miss out on the main attraction.

Overall - I'm a big supporter of brewers doing what they want to do and Alec at Uncommon Brewers is a great example of this. His Bacon Brown Ale is an altogether unique and "uncommon" ale with an ingrediant that many of us never thought they'd find in their beer - but it works. The smokey undertones of bacon in this brown ale really work well and to the unassuming imbiber they might not even realize there is bacon in their beer - organic bacon at that! Cheers Alec! Keep on being uncommon!

3.78/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A- dark brown color, thin head
S- malt, kind of a maple syrup, bacony smell too, that was a bit light though but you could make it out
T- malt, maple, bacon, a lot better than I thought it would be
M- medium bodied
D- pretty good, I would actually drink it again. I liked it.

3.77/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

473ml can. I am not an adherent of the 'bacon makes everything better' camp. Bacon is just fine all by itself.

This beer pours a crystal clear, dark brassy amber hue, with three pudgy fingers of teeming, foamy, and yet still densely caked beige head, which leaves some random droopy cloud lace around the glass as it slowly sinks away.

It smells of toasted grainy malt, and a rather biscuity one at that, a dry oily nuttiness, wet ash, a musty, vegetal character, some faint fruit salad sweetness, and flat earthy hops. The taste is lightly roasted caramel malt, somewhat pithy, weedy grain, semi-sweet generic nut butter, a certain sense of umami, that could be meaty, but I'm not wholly convinced, with a very subtle fruity, leafy hoppiness. The 6.8% alcohol is deftly integrated, not a trace is overtly perceptible.

The carbonation is pretty laid-back, a wee bit frothy, and duly supportive, the body a decent medium weight, with a late-arriving metallic edge taking its pound of flesh out of the overall smoothness. It finishes off-dry, the nutty caramel malt reasserting itself, as the vegetal and fruity notes diminish without fading, amongst a softly lingering ashy bitterness.

Judged solely on its glass-borne merits, this is an agreeable brown ale - toasted biscuits, caramel, nuts, and a fairly reserved hoppiness. However, in terms of the proclaimed guest ingredients (and especially the one that made into the name), if their mention weren't so splattered all over the label, I wouldn't have noticed them in the beer. Wait, I didn't - ok, maybe the buckwheat, but that was tenuous at best.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Clear oaky brown. Thin whispy head.

S: MMmmm, yum! Malty mostly. Slight alcohol. Slim Jim. Wheat bread. A BLT sandwich. Doughy.

T: No bacon really. Very malty, slight smoke, and slight slight salt. Slight hops.

M: Way too thin. For a bacon beer, it should be thick and greasy and oily. Good coat on the tongue.

O: A little disappointed in the bacon part of the brew. But not a bad brown ale.

NEED MORE BACON!!!

3.77/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a snifter/tulip/wine hybrid glass from a 16oz can

A - Pours a hazy mud brown with two-three finger creamy tan head and some leg/lacing. As a side note the head is insane. I cracked open the can poured maybe a finger and the head overflowed the glass. Took around 5 minutes for the head to dissipate and when I went to refill the glass it overflowed again. Carbonation level EXTREME, haha.

S - Dry grains right of the bat, tons of nuttiness, some sweet/toasted malts, lots of yeast and of the cracker/bread veritable, non fertilized soil, some living and dead earth notes, maple, sugar and caramelized bacon.

T - Slight synthetic hop note, lots of dry grains and malts, semi-sweet sugar note, brown earth tones, lots wood (presumably from the curing and/or smoking of the bacon), crisp bacon, drowning in nutty notes and really quite creamy.

M - Medium body, medium plus carbonation, medium plus acidity, nice balance, nice complexity and a huge nut brown ale with a side of bacon finish.

D/O - Didn't really know what to think when buying this one -- except BACON! Enjoyable enough for sure. Has its nut brown ale quality with a hint of sugar and bacon, really nice. The nut notes are a bit over the top but adds to a creaminess at the finish. Perfect for any time of year or occasion. Had this one with an all American Sub and it paired brilliantly. The only downside of this beer is the crazy head as was stated before.

Final Thoughts - At $4 per can and a 6.8% ABV this is for the lover of ale and of course for the fan of bacon. Worth a go or three and if you like Brown ale, you may really like this one.

3.75/5  rDev +18.7%

3.75/5  rDev +18.7%

3.67/5  rDev +16.1%

Drank on 04/25/10
Poured on-tap into a pint glass

Was looking at the tap list an Beachwood BBQ today and saw this interesting looking beer. I had been thinking about doing a homebrew with bacon, so I would though I'd give this bacon beer a try.

A - It was poured for me, and it had a medium brown hue with some light amber tinting to it in the light. It had a small light beige head to it with minimal lacing when I drank it.

S - The smell was quite pleasant. It had a faint bacon/smoky smell to it, along with some sweetness. It also had a bit of malty/buckwheat smell to it. None of the smells were very strong but they were pleasant.

T - The taste was a bit disappointing there was more bacon flavor in the smell rather than the taste. Has a sweeter maltier taste at the beginning and then has a bit more bitterness with the hops in the middle and finishes with a light smokey/maybe a tiny bit of bacon flavor at the end. The flavor isn't as toasty as your standard brown, it is much more subdued in that way. Flavor wasn't bad at all, I guess I was just hoping for a bit more of the salty stronger bacon flavor.

M - The mouthfeel was nice it was light with the right amount of carbonation. Not much so say about that except it felt nice when I was drinking it, and it went well with the style

D - Overall it was a decent beer that went well with the BBQ I was having this afternoon. Beer tasted just fine, but I don't think I would have it again unless they modified the recipe a bit, then I would try it for comparison.

This beer tasted fine, and was good in many other respects but I just don't see it as a beer I would have more then once without a few changes.

3.67/5  rDev +16.1%

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ,

A: Pours a medium brown with a nice off-white head, good retention.

S: Quite hoppy with a lot of pine, citrus, light smoke.

T: Intriguing for sure. Dark malt, with a gamey, meaty flavour. It didn't really taste like bacon, but it was there in the background. Still quite hoppy as with the nose.

M: Medium-bodied, soft/medium carbontion, quite smooth on the tongue.

D: If you can say one thing about the Uncommon brewers is that they're interesting. Nothing I've had from them has tasted like anything I've had before.

3.65/5  rDev +15.5%

On tap at 515 in Santa Cruz. Brooklyn is getting a ton of hype over their bacon beer and I've heard Cigar City is not far behind, but this is the first one out that I know of. This is also made with organic buckwheat. Sample size glass as part of a flight. Very light in color for a brown ale, actually closer to a hazy orangish gold. Nice off-white froth leaving some lacing. Aroma is lightly smokey with a citric tinge, again not very 'brown.' Flavor is citric with a hint of nuttiness (buckwheat). The bacon comes through during the finish as a smokey ashy note, sort of like the aftertaste of bacon rather than the de facto taste of bacon. Light bodied and maybe a bit thin, I would say this beer comes up short of its potential but it's still a cool concept and another solid offering in the Uncommon lineup.

3.64/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Dogfish Head pint glass. Pours a russet coppery amber with a two finger cream colored head that dissipates slowly, leaving lots of lacing. Aroma dominated by sweet bready malt, light nuts and a faint boiled vegetable component; hint of brown sugar. Flavor is muted toasted and bready malt, lightly nutty with a somewhat astringent bitterness that may or may not have been hops. Finishes with mild bitterness, dark bread and brown bready malt. Medium bodied. Hmm, different, but subdued and not very interesting. Flavors are pleasant enough, but not balanced or interesting. No bacon is evident. I finished the glass without regret, but his is a one-and-done. An uncommon beer indeed.

3.61/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.6/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured from a 16oz can into 3 glasses. Thanks to HeatherAnn & HollyAnn for the assist!

Canned 02/22/2012

A: Pours a deep ruby brown. One finger of light brown head forms on top and leaves quite a bit of lace in the glass.

S: Interesting aroma. Slightly sweet grain...or cocoa. Not too much roast or bacon to be found, but likable none the less.

T: Like above but with more sweet grain and some caramel. Slight aspirin-y hop flavor comes late in the game.

M: Starts sweet and relatively full with a nice bit of drying bitterness at the end of every sip. Lingering finish drys the tongue.

O: Good, but we were a little let down by the lack of the advertised bacon.

3.57/5  rDev +13%

My girlfriend brought this home as a surprise, and I must admit I didn't have much hope for a "bacon brown ale", but I must admit it was a lot better than I expected.

The appearance is decent, perhaps more amber than brown, with a rather short-lived head and no lacing. This may be attributed to the growler it came in.

The smell is fairly light, with hints of almond or hazelnut, and a faint bit of malt. It's a nice introduction to the beer, and manages to remain inviting throughout the glass.

The taste is also rather light, a surprise considering the 7.8% ABV. If there is bacon in this brew, it's hard to detect. I feel like I get the faintest hint of it in the aftertaste, but otherwise the flavor is dominated by malt, with almost no hop balance to speak of.

The mouthfeel is rather boring. Again, this may be due to the growler. Whatever carbonation there is does not translate onto the back of the palate. After refilling my glass with a more vigorous pour to try again, it didn't improve, making this the most disappointing part of the brew. By no means is it bad, but I am just spoiled by all the great beer lately.

In general, this is worth trying if you find it. I can't help but wonder if some oils from the bacon are responsible for killing the head and mouthfeel, or if it is because of the growler, but otherwise it's a tasty novelty.

3.56/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bacon Brown Ale from Uncommon Brewers