Bacon Brown Ale | Uncommon Brewers

uncommonbrewers.com

Style: American Brown Ale

Added by illidurit on 02-12-2010

4.28/5  rDev +37.6%

The CANQuest (TM) has been in hiatus for far too long! It is time for me to get Crackin' & Gluggin' again, posthaste. This beauty was scored recently at The Fridge in Lancaster and I love that something like this is certified "Organic", so much so that I opened one for a vegetarian friend of mine. Does this mean that I will eventually be consigned to Hell?

From the CAN: "Uncommon beer for uncommon people" - that puts me in mind of Adam Ant's "Ant Music for Ant People" and the later compilation, "Rat Music for Rat People"; "Uncommon Brewers - In 2002, we set out to discover the forgotten potential of an ancient beverage all too often taken for granted. Uncommon Brewers was born out of that exploration. Our products are sourced whenever possible from local farms and growers. Some are even harvested by hand from the hills of Northern California."; "It's a simple fact of life: bacon makes everything better. From eggs to ice cream, delicious bacon is turning up just about everywhere. Our uncommon [CAN]tribution to this cured pork renaissance is the Bacon Brown Ale. This is a West Coast Nut Brown Ale brewed with toasted buckwheat and a generous serving of bacon-cured pork."; "Ale brewed with Buckwheat and Bacon"; "This uncommon beer was brewed to be enjoyed fresh. Store in a cool place and enjoy soon."

No place cooler than my reefer! And so we begin with a Crack 'n' Glug, a sound not heard 'round these parts for some time. I had to move fast as some began to burble out of the aperture as soon as I had it open. This resulted in a massive two-plus fingers of deep-tan head with reasonable retention. It began to leave behind some nice sticky lacing as it fell. Color was a deep brown with ruby/garnet highlights. Nose was malty sweet and there was no question that it was a brown ale, but where's the bacon?!? Mouthfeel was medium-to-full and I got a maple sweetness infused with minty hops on the tongue, but I still was not feeling the bacon. Finish was more hoppy than sweet and while I am not (necessarily) complaining, it seemed like a waste of hops. Rest easy, I rail against Black/Cascadian IPAs also. I poured the remainder of the CAN, hoping that, like a secret surprise in a box of Cracker Jacks, I would find a piece of bacon at the bottom. No soap, or bacon, either. No wonder my vegetarian friend didn't balk ... I think that I am still going to Hell, though. It is too bad that we CANnot rate on truth in advertising because this deserves a low score. MORE bacon is needed!

3.11/5  rDev 0%

Bacon brown ales are always welcome. I found the other beers from this company to be a bit unbalanced with their additions.

A- Snifter fills with a brown colored ale. Light tan head forms with a bubbly and foamy texture. Good retention. Nice webs of creamy lace.

S- Not much going on here, kind of have to strain my nose to get much. Slight sweet brown malts, caramel and some nuttiness.

T- Kind of tastes like a homebrew brown ale I made once, just not right in ways. The malt isn't as rich as I would expect and lends a lot of nutty and slight sweet caramel hints. I'm not getting any smoke or bacon at all. Some dark fruit, raisin, spice and bread as well.

MF- Bubbly high carbonated body. Silky and somewhat creamy.

Takes like an OK brown, not getting any smokiness or bacon that I might expect. Very nutty and sort of raisin spicy, hard to explain.

3.6/5  rDev +15.8%

Poured from a 16oz can into 3 glasses. Thanks to HeatherAnn & HollyAnn for the assist!

Canned 02/22/2012

A: Pours a deep ruby brown. One finger of light brown head forms on top and leaves quite a bit of lace in the glass.

S: Interesting aroma. Slightly sweet grain...or cocoa. Not too much roast or bacon to be found, but likable none the less.

T: Like above but with more sweet grain and some caramel. Slight aspirin-y hop flavor comes late in the game.

M: Starts sweet and relatively full with a nice bit of drying bitterness at the end of every sip. Lingering finish drys the tongue.

O: Good, but we were a little let down by the lack of the advertised bacon.

3.98/5  rDev +28%

Nothing burps better than bacon! (movie line)

Nice looking beer. Nice nose on it too. Seems kind of oily and deep. Flavor is hearty. Nicely robust. Slightly sweet in a brown ale kind of way.

To be frank, I was ready to write this brewery off after all their other offerings just fell way too short for me. But this one works pretty well for me. I bit too thick on the feel and flavor and the carbonation could be toned down; but that's just me being picky.

3.46/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours a dark brown color that has a reddish hue. There is a fingers worth of off-white head. Spaced out lacing.

The nose has some roasty malts, light smokiness, some sweetness.

The taste is similar and pretty much lacks the bacon characteristics described on the label. There is some nuttiness, roast, sweet malt and a subtle smoke taste.

The mouthfeel is light-medium bodied with a creamy feel. Light carbonation.

Overall, this was a tasty brown ale but where's the bacon?

3.77/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Clear oaky brown. Thin whispy head.

S: MMmmm, yum! Malty mostly. Slight alcohol. Slim Jim. Wheat bread. A BLT sandwich. Doughy.

T: No bacon really. Very malty, slight smoke, and slight slight salt. Slight hops.

M: Way too thin. For a bacon beer, it should be thick and greasy and oily. Good coat on the tongue.

O: A little disappointed in the bacon part of the brew. But not a bad brown ale.

NEED MORE BACON!!!

3.55/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

yay, gotta love them tall-boy cans.

Pours a slightly darker colored fizzy almost 1 finger head on an aggressive pour, that starts to fade fairly quickly like it doesn't want to be there. The beer is a very dark molasses brown color with hints of ruby light sneaking through the thin points.

Nose is mostly like a brown ale, toasty brown malts, molasses, brown sugar, sweetness, light caramel and toffee, and just a hint of an earthy hop.

Taste starts with more toasty brown malts, less so on the sweeteners this time, but there is a hint of caramel, molasses, toffee, and some nutty malt flavors. Plenty of nutty malts and toasted malts. Earthy hops kick in fairly quickly with a decent bitterness, some grassy earthy almost herbal hop flavors, that ramp up and practically dominate by the end. They call this bacon, but I don't get any bacon, I get a hint of a grainy slight roasted malt flavor that brings a light bitter briny taste. Finish brings more bitterness with more of the earthy hops, a bit of a briny taste, and toasty malts, but fairly dry.

Mouth is med bodied, decent carb.

Overall not bad, but not great either, decent malts and a good hop blend, but no bacon, just a light briny bitter roasty flavor in what I believe they tried to do for "bacon".

3.03/5  rDev -2.6%

no way to tell when this was brewed... but I trust my local beer place.

eyes...
2 big fingers of foam rise up in my dfh bubble glass, the head does a good job of hanging around, lacing is also very nice with a clean sheet of micro bubbles clinging to the sides for dear life, dark brown hue with moderate carbonation floating around, a pretty good looking beer

nose...
kind of a flat cola scent, some underlying dry sweetness, some notes of birch beer, maybe a faint hint of the smokiness from the bacon.. but not much, is this bad? well, I think if you are gonna bring the bacon... bring the damn bacon ! or at least add in some liquid smoke to fool me....

taste etc...
drinks alot like it smells, kind of like old cola (including the lack of carbonation), there is some notes in the back of bacon but nothing nearly as carnal as a good Bamberg Rauchbier offering, the body is pretty spot on for a brown ale.

verdict?
I'm a sucker for bacon propaganda. This beer isn't bad but there are beers with such better meat/smoke flavor that it is almost a crime that this calls itself "bacon" anything. It's more like Bacon Bits (imitation) Brown Ale. Not a terrible beer, just don't get your hopes up (you know, like being a Jets fan)

3.25/5  rDev +4.5%

3.5/5  rDev +12.5%

3.43/5  rDev +10.3%

Appearance: With two fingers worth of off white head that it is slightly rocky. Underneath is a dark brown colored beer with some light amber hues.

Aroma: Sweet roasted malts that do have a slight smokiness to them. Hops are floral and a little bit dry. As for the bacon aroma it's way the tail end of it all.

Taste: A mostly smooth mouthfeel at the start. Some dryness on the palate, caramel malts and a touch of chocolate. Bacon flavor is there but it does not over power the beer. Light smokiness in the finish.

Notes: It's not too bad and certainly drinkable. Cheers.

2.6/5  rDev -16.4%

16 oz pounder can
Poured into a pint glass

A: Mahogany/reddish colored body with an overall brown tone to it. Fairly clear topped by a huge bubbly beige head. A bit lighter overall than normal for a Brown Ale. Decent retention cap and sticky lacing.

S: Roasted malts, nuts, slight smoke, salt and perhaps a hint of maple syrup. Not overly aromatic, and nothing in the way of an actual bacon aroma or even a generic meat for that matter.

T: Smoke, a hint of sweet maple and then the Brown Ale base takes over the palate. A quick bitter hop note comes and goes mid-palate, ending with plenty of nuts and even salt in the finish.

M: Bubbly, well carbonated but not thin or watery. Very solid medium body while still remaining quite drinkable.

Decent, but where's the bacon?!

3.25/5  rDev +4.5%

1.95/5  rDev -37.3%

Booo. On tap at twisted spoke, served in a tulip glass. No bacon odor detected. :( no smokiness. Looks like a brown, taste like a brown bit does not live up to its description. If u order it ask for a sample and decide if u want to move forward with this beer. NOT a, bad tasting brown, just doesn't live to what I was expecting.

3.5/5  rDev +12.5%

3.57/5  rDev +14.8%

My girlfriend brought this home as a surprise, and I must admit I didn't have much hope for a "bacon brown ale", but I must admit it was a lot better than I expected.

The appearance is decent, perhaps more amber than brown, with a rather short-lived head and no lacing. This may be attributed to the growler it came in.

The smell is fairly light, with hints of almond or hazelnut, and a faint bit of malt. It's a nice introduction to the beer, and manages to remain inviting throughout the glass.

The taste is also rather light, a surprise considering the 7.8% ABV. If there is bacon in this brew, it's hard to detect. I feel like I get the faintest hint of it in the aftertaste, but otherwise the flavor is dominated by malt, with almost no hop balance to speak of.

The mouthfeel is rather boring. Again, this may be due to the growler. Whatever carbonation there is does not translate onto the back of the palate. After refilling my glass with a more vigorous pour to try again, it didn't improve, making this the most disappointing part of the brew. By no means is it bad, but I am just spoiled by all the great beer lately.

In general, this is worth trying if you find it. I can't help but wonder if some oils from the bacon are responsible for killing the head and mouthfeel, or if it is because of the growler, but otherwise it's a tasty novelty.

3.52/5  rDev +13.2%

Appears a dark brown color with a thin brown head.

Smells of roasted malts, caramel malts and I suppose smoky bacon.

Taste is composed of a smoky roast flavor and a caramel flavor as well. A grassy hop taste is noticeable in the finish. The smokiness of the beer does seem to come from the bacon but the fat flavor of the bacon thankfully did not appear in the beer.

The carbonation is moderate. The drinkability is ok but it is too smoky to really drink more than one of these.

Overall uncommon did a nice job using bacon in a beer without making me sick. If you see it is worth trying.

3.11/5  rDev 0%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I tried this beer twice (4 oz. pours) at the recent North American Organic Beer Fest and jotted a few notes to start as a foundation of a review, but what follows is primarily based on 10 oz. at Bailey's Taproom.

A: Dirty/murky chestnut/auburn pour with a weird head that mimics a fizzy soda topping: a single layer of fat, ivory-colored bubbles clumped at the rim in a skewed ring. No visible carbonation, no lace.

S: Malt-fueled 'brown ale' aroma, filled with dark roasted grain (baked bread) and singed nutshells. An ambitious huskiness that dances around the 'smokiness', concealing then releasing as it warms.

T: Hmmm...after trying this at a fest (first pour both days) and now at Bailey's, I (surprisingly) liked the fest pours better. My notes from then: "Smoky and nutty with ground spice in the finish. Growing dryness and bitterness, but balanced by caramel. 'Bacon' hard to find, more black pepper". From yesterday: "Burnt nuts, spices but more sooty/ashy, dark bread crust. Very dry finish and long-lasting bitterness". I gave it a 4 at the fest and a 2.5 yesterday - will generously round up for an average score.

M: Drab feel, smooth but grainy texture, low carbonation (makes the feel seem thinner). Latent alcohol warms a little and a dull metallic weight rests heavily on the tongue. Building thickness, chewiness.

D: 'Bacon' is the hook that'll garner attention, but ultimately this doesn't seem like a 'sustainable' beer once the gimmick wears off. A fun experiment though and a curiosity worth trying, but ultimately the 4+4+10 oz. consumed were enough to form the opinion that I really never need to have this beer again.

[Aside] I've tried a couple others from Uncommon (Baltic, Siamese Twin) and found them to be good/better than this one.

Bacon Brown Ale from Uncommon Brewers