Red Nectar | Humboldt Brewing Co.

good
Red NectarRed Nectar

Humboldt Brewing Co.
humboldtbrewingco.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-25-2001

3.08/5  rDev -15.6%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass. Bottled 4/2/2012.

Pours a crystal-clear brownish red. Not much head and not much carbonation in general.

Not much smell to speak of. The head faded very rapidly, so there's nothing to keep the aromas in. What little I can smell is some faded hops.

Tastes much better than it smells. Good balance of malt and hops. Not a particularly strong flavor.

Mouthfeel on the thin side. Carbonation is light.

I can't say I would buy this again. The flavor is fine, but there's just not much of it.

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

3.25/5  rDev -11%

2.85/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I had this at Beachwood BBQ, where it was labelled "Humboldt Red Nectar Ale". Humboldt's page suggests it's now brewed at Firestone Walker, but Firestone Walker owns Nectar Ales. It's a confusing contract brew/ownership of brand situation, but I believe I've found the right listing. Served on-draught into a 5 oz taster. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a one finger head of nice white cream, good thickness, and great retention. Colour is a dark copper-gold.

Sm: Dry toasted malt and cream. Simple and mild, but appealing.

T: Toasted malt, cream, and some amber hops. Some caramel. Simple, but decently balanced. Hops - mainly bittering - are present but mild, supplementing the balance. Decently built but unremarkable. Not unique or special.

Mf: Smooth and a touch dry - especially on the climax. Complements the flavour profile to a moderate extent. Not tailored to it, but suitable.

Dr: Drinkable but unremarkable. Boring for the style. I wouldn't have it again (knowingly). Pairs decently with barbecue.

C

3.38/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is an interesting Red/Amber to me. It comes across as sweet, by the look of it and the name. I mean, c'mon...nectar. And it starts off that way. It's an amber/reddish color with nice head. Aroma is a bit sticky and malty. Some sweetness comes through. Rosy, almost.

Flavor is sweet up front, but it does stop about half way to introduce a bit of hops. A nice bite on the finish seems grassy and minty.
A good brew, maybe a bit 'syrupy' in the feel throughout.

3.92/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. About 1 ½ fingers of head. Color was pale caramel brown. Thick caramel lacing with lots of bubble spots on the top. Decent amount of wet, spongy, thick film on the sides that lasted throughout the pour.

Initially got caramel in the nose. Also some mild rye hops. Sweet sugary malts as well. Reminded me slightly of an iced tea in the nose.

Icea tea was a great guess on the smell, because that’s what the taste initially reminded me of. Probably more rye malts than anything else, but I still got some bitterness on the tongue. Nothing too extraordinary overall.

Medium body. Sticky texture. Average-to-above average carbonation. Bitter abrupt finish.

It was OK overall. I’ve had it before, but this was the first time I rated it. I’d still probably still give it another go.

3.68/5  rDev +0.8%

Glass - Pint

A - A perfect Amber colored brew with a 1-finger head that dissipated quickly. Clarity of the beer is high, and you can see some lite carbonation. I got a spot here and there left on my glass.

S - A kick of herbal and rind like hop aroma's upfront. A bit of lemon juice. Soft caramel underneath the hop notes upfront. About it.

T - Herbal, lemon and pine hop characteristics hit me first. Immediately following is a stronger than expect note of caramel, with this weird kinda astringent after taste. Bitterness is pretty mild and a faint cocoa bean flavor lingers on the tongue a bit.

M - Smooth and medium bodied lite-moderate crispness.

O - Not my favorite of the style, but a decent example. I didn't like the astringent thing going on in the flavor profile, after awhile I got sorta tired of it. Overall though I liked the beer, and I'd buy it again if the price was right.

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

glass: Pint

Pours a clear copper-brown color with a tan 1 finger-head. Minimal lacing, only a few spots retain. Smells like cherries, lemon zest and caramel. Mouthfeel is medium with medium carbonation. Flavors of cherry, caramel, faint chocolate, lemon zest and faint pine. Finishes clean with a slight lingering bitterness. Decent red.

3.08/5  rDev -15.6%

Poured a good looking foamy white head. The head didn't stick around for long, but left lacing.

S- Grapefruit, peaches, honey and hops. A small earthy smell but nothing special.

T- Peach,tangerine, grapefruit, and caramel. Hoppy backbone, with a finish that was barely bitter. Spices in the beer kicked it up a notch, but still an average beer.

O- Not bad. A good one to pair with food or while fishing. An average beer for an average occasion.

2.99/5  rDev -18.1%

Poured into my Portsmouth tulip (which I proceeded to break immediately following this beer while washing it).

Poured a beautiful amber color with a small off white head.

Smelled of some mild sweet malts and mild hops, very subtle aroma.

Taste followed the smell - was hoping for a bigger hop bite but failed to find it. Overall a relatively boring taste.

Mouthfeel was alright.

Overall this was ok. Don't think I would ever buy again but glad to try it. This beer just lacked depth and character. It was very light. I could polish off a 6 pack of these without a problem, and in a pretty quick time period. Meh...

3.25/5  rDev -11%

3.16/5  rDev -13.4%

Another average red. What can I say? Nice red color but the smell left something to be desired...like an aroma! Ok maybe I smelled some malt but was seriously too subtle. Taste was borign as well, nothing stood out. I guess I could knock this back ata barbeque but I won't buy anymore of it.

4.03/5  rDev +10.4%

Pours clear cinnared, with a big light tan head that leaves tons of lacing.

Smell is crisp roasted malts, followed by floral, and lightly piney hops.

Taste follows closely behind, with plenty of flavor for 5.5%. Dry roasted malts, a nice bitter dry hop finish. Not overly complex, but well balanced and clean.

Texture is where it should be, smooth and light. Good carbonation.

A long time favorite here, one of the first craft brews I drank in my early 20's. It was nice to revisit, I just wish it had more punch, but, it's not an imp red, so it fits right where it should be.

DOA

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

Appearance: This one is a rich dark garnet with a head around an inch thick and is off white.

Aroma: Citrus hop forward, grapefruit, caramel malts, wisp of carob, notes of tropical fruits.

Taste: Medium to full bodied and a relativly smooth mouthfeel. Tropical fruit, grapfruit and piney notes. A good malt sweetness with a touch of caramel and chocolate.

Notes: A very solid beer all the way through. Cheers.

Red Nectar from Humboldt Brewing Co.