Sip Of Sunshine | Lawson's Finest Liquids

Sip Of SunshineSip Of Sunshine

Lawson's Finest Liquids
Vermont, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

This lupulin-ladin India Pale Ale is packed with juicy tropical fruit character, bright floral aromas and delectable layers of hop flavor. Pour mindfully, inhale deeply and enjoy a tropical vacation in a glass. Always store cold, enjoy fresh and stay cool!
Sip of Sunshine IPA is brewed by Lawson’s Finest Liquids at Two Roads Brewing Co. in Stratford CT.

Added by MichaelAllenVT on 04-03-2014

Reviews: 498 | Ratings: 4,177
4.48/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

16 oz can, dated 8/22/16, poured into a teku

A- A slightly hazy golden copper with a three finger white head.

S- Tropical fruits, some stone fruits, hints of caramel malts, some citrus, bitterness is piney and floral.

T- Citrus, some tropical fruits, grapefruit and hints mandarin oranges, slightly floral, bitter piney finish, hints of sweet malts, finish lingers.

M- Smooth, medium body.

O- A well done DIPA, very happy I got to try this. Worth seeking out, not a fruity or dank as other IPAs from the New England area. Flavors are well balanced.

4.85/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

SOS is fantastic - simple as that.
I have written before that I am so lucky to live in the NE and have access to all the spectacular NE brews....this is no exception. SOS is one of my favorites of all I have had.

4.64/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Picked up in VT, was canned almost exactly two weeks prior to purchase given date on bottom, enjoyed same day.

Poured into a glass, fairly translucent golden amber yellow colour. Slightly opaque, holding the glass up a lamp, can see plenty of fine particulates in suspension. Nice white, foamy cap of frothy head. Good lacing.

Aroma is wonderful: citrus, slightly piney/resinous quality, mango, lots of fresh hops. I don't notice as much of the floral scent, but that's just me. Very clean.

Clean, crisp blast of citrusy goodness, some tropical fruit character, perfect level of hopping -- initially fruity, then smoothly bitter, then a bit of maltiness (not cloying at all), then a long pleasant lingering bitterness in the finish. This is one smooth and incredibly well-balanced beer. Seems like a bit more going on than most DIPAs I've had. Just enough carbonation to add a little lift to the moderate body. Even the can looks neat and unique.

SoS and Focal Banger are my two all-time favourite Vermont IPAs. This one is slightly mellower but loaded with flavour and a superbly crafted beer. It really is as wonderful as the reviews suggest, just wish availability was slightly better.

4.37/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L: semi transparent orange hue. Large rocky white head that dissipates rather quickly
S: Malty. tropical citrus. Sweet. Nice balance if that is what you enjoy.
T: Similar. Still hop forward but the malt, sweetness, and bitterness comes through.
F: Very nice and full. medium carbonation. Not soft, but I doubt they are going for soft.
O: Damn good beer. Hard to categorize in IPAs. Almost a West Cost/East Cost mix. Not my favorite DIPA but who am I to say.

4.2/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Can dated 08/05/16.

Pours hazy orange gold with a full one-inch off-white head that remains as a cap on top and leaves strands of lace. The smell is of tropical fruit, faint floral accents and a hint of pine. The taste follows with pineapple, mango, papayan watermelon and some pine bitterness. Full texture with crisp carbonation. A solid offering but, slightly overrated, in my opinion.

4.26/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Hazy somewhat murky orange with a 1 inch off-white head. Aroma is the best part of this beer. Floral and tropical and jumps out of the glass. Flavor is definitely still very tropical hop character but also malty, somewhat sweet, and assertively bitter. Nice and full with medium carbonation. Great beer overall. Not sure worth the hype but I am not sure this is my style of IIPA in the first place.

4.96/5  rDev +8.5%

Pours a very hazy orange with an almost white foam.

The taste is of citrus, lots of citrus, and a little bit of pineapple finishing with just the right amount of hop bitterness.

I'm an IPA whore and this might be my favorite, at least it is today. It sure makes me wish I could get to Vermont more than once a year.

4.19/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

I am an IPA troller. I just stop in at a beer retailer on my way home and see what they have. For me IPAs are like crack. Once you start you can't stop. I was just about to check out with some 90 Minute when the guy in front of me has this 4 pack of pint yellow cans. I had not seen it on the shelf but I was mesmerized. "What is that?" I asked. He said get some because it's hard to find. I ran back to the case and found it. There was no price so I was a bit concerned but you know how it is to be on a quest for the best IPA. I said f$%^ it and took a chance. I was unaware of the brewer but now I know. It was the cousin of Heady Topper. I am from CT and I have been to Vermont and know how hard Heady is to get. SOS is very good but I think our group gets a bit star struck with the celebrity brewers. Because of my lack of education in the nuances of the flavors of IPAs I am always skeptical of the reviews. Sip Of Sunshine is very good and I am glad I had the opportunity to try it. I may even get it again if I have a chance but at $15 for a 4 pack even when it is this good is a bit excessive. I would love to try it on draft. Maybe its time to get back to Vermont.

4.9/5  rDev +7.2%

Yes, it is great, but the finish is sharper and more metallic than its evil older bro Heady Topper, which I believe is slightly better. Brewed in StratfordCT at Two Roads, so some can be found in CT stores, but you have to ask for it and will get one 4 pack for $16 if lucky. Store owners are peeved that people are flipping the beer on Craigslist.

4.44/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed chilled. Poured with a perpetual think white head. Colorado was soft orange with some haze. Aroma was fresh squeezed citrus. Taste was similar. Tangerine, orange and grapefruit. Moderate bitterness. Great mouth feel. Rich and silky. Overall a great beer. Wish I could get my hands on it more.

4.41/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

light orange and resinous. fluffy head, and a full bouquet of citrus when inhaled

citrus fruit salad flavor blends with the hoppiness really well add some melon to blend with the malt to smooth this out just a touch.

4.55/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours somewhat Amber In color. Has a bit of cloudiness but is not really hazy. It does not glow like many beers of this style. Still looks good though. Smell is juicy. Papaya mango and a touch of tangerine. Taste is sweet on the front end with only a light bitterness on the back end. Feels rather carbonated at first but it mellows out over the course of the glass. Feels a tad heavy as well. Overall a great beer that lives up the NE IPA hipe.

4.7/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Clear golden color with off-white head. Aroma is somehow sweet with oranges and tangerines. Taste has canned pineapple juice, mango and lots of pineapple fruit. Quite bitter on the finish. Awesome taste, I think the best tasting IPA I every had, if it was more aromatic it would be stellar.

4.31/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Maybe it was the order of beers I had previously, this felt a little weak comparatively. However, it was still a fine beer. I'd like to try it first or by itself to know for sure

4.06/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Have had many times and each 4pk of cans tastes different. So not really sure how to rate it. Always good, on occasion unbelievable, but always seems to taste and feel different. Not a connoisseur and can't break it down like some but its just good,man. Just good. Raining outside, bad day at work, cat got your tongue- Grab a Sip of Sunshine- "Cuz you'll feel better". Luckily readily available in CT and always a good go to. Sipping it now... Aahh there's me tongue.

4.66/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

one of the best doubles taste wise ive had. extremely refreshing, especially on a hot day. Has a subtle fruity flavor but its very crisp and smooth going down. Not much of a strong smell to it in my opinion, but my sense of smell may be a little off.

4.39/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

From a 16oz can, dated 07/12/16. Served in an imperial pint/nonic. How have I never rated this before now? But I haven't.

Pours a mildly hazy, orange-gold with two fingers of lush, creamy, off-white foam. Ecru? Ecru foam. The head fades out quickly but leaves behind sheets of sticky lace.

The nose is sharp and crackery, with spruce, melon and sexy sweat.

Taste is sweet-malt-forward immediately subsumed by a creamy rush of tropical fruits, jungle flowers, cantaloupe and pine sap. Finishes caramel, dank, with sticky bitterness.

Feel is medium-to-thick bodied, lightly carbonated and smooth drinking. The mouth-coating creaminess results in the otherwise light bitterness building up on the palate over the course of drinking it. In a satisfying way.

Overall, a justifiably highly-rated classic which hardly needs yet another review. It seems to me that, each time I've had it, I've gotten something different from the nose and taste, but that it's always well balanced and the look and feel are always consistent. If I reviewed it again next week I'd probably come up with something substantially different - but it would still be really, really good.

4.9/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Probably my favorite IPA. Just edging out Heady Topper and Focal Banger. Like all of them, I wish they were easier (possible) to find in NY, but gives us a reason to visit VT.

4.74/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Vibrant bright orange body with a bit of haze and a huge, fluffy cream-colored head. Aroma is big tropical fruits, tons of citrus zest and hints of grass. Flavor is huge and juicy, tons of tropical fruity hops, a dash of grass and the slightest hint of toast. Feel is juicy, medium bodied, slightly sticky, but easy to drink. Really awesome beer with an enormous amount of juicy hop punch.

4.78/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A little backstory: I recently reconnected online with an old friend who lives just outside of Burlington, VT. Naturally I begged him to send me some Heady Topper. "No," he replied. "If you want some you'll need to come for a visit," adding, "Heady's great, but there are even better beers up here." So I broke down and flew up there this past weekend. He greeted me with Sip Of Sunshine, which I'd never heard of. Absolutely fabulous! Following it up with my first Heady was almost anticlimactic. The latter was undoubtedly delicious, but I preferred the Sip.

Footnote: Two days later I tasted them blind, loved both, but ultimately gave a slight nod to the Heady. Regardless, Sip is totally deserving of its lofty ratings.

4.27/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Don't normally do the full-blown ASTM-style beer reviews because I find them a bit pedantic, but I'm prepared to do a special review for a special beer. I'll go full-blown beer reviewer for my first of the major New England IPAs (and I got some Alchemist goodies on the way to review too!). Here we go.

Look - Gorgeous and sunny - reminds of Oberon without the cloudiness from the wheat. Attractive, heavily carbonated, which leads to a bit of a nervousness on my end because of my experience with heavily carbonated IPAs and stouts, but an undeniably sexy brew.

Smell - Nose is multilayered in that I've taken in its aroma three different times and each time pull out something different. Pine, grapefruit, juicy hops, and tropical undertones populate it. I like it quite a bit.

Taste - One of the easiest IPA tastes I've come across in my life. Not a palette-wrecker when it comes to the hop character, but silky, almost buttery smooth, as it makes its pine-forward hop character known. Finishes with a decadent and subtle grace, almost a wink, as it exits your mouth.

Mouthfeel - How I like my hops in that they are pleasant and refreshing, not annihilating and overbearing. Not as soft as the beer itself but damn soft.

Overall/Verdict - One of the best beers I've ever come across and the best IPA I've yet to have (we'll see what the latter end of the month has in store for me with more desired IPA reviews). Can't get over how silky smooth and purely refreshing this beer is. Trying to conserve and sip, but end up taking in more than I want each time. It's that good.

3.42/5  rDev -25.2%

I've never understood this beer. I describe Sip as being like coffee: it smells sooooo good. And then when you taste it . . . well it's OK but it never lives up to the smell. Obviously, many coffee lovers will disagree with me on that statement. But the point is that I'm always disappointed by this brew. I've left it for months and then come back to it, made sure the cans were fresh etc. But always I end up not even wanting to finish a single can.

To me it's the least interesting of all of these top New England IPAs. It's got a sort of musty, corn/rice-grain-like undertone that I tire of instantly. Sure I get the pine and the resin (although I don't catch the citrus bomb in this one) that everyone talks about. When a friend of mine first tried it at my house a year ago, after having no exposure to these NE IPAs previously he smelled it and said, this beer smells like a Christmas tree. Maybe. But the finish isn't there for me.

There are a few beers on BA that score 100 and surprise me (Sculpin anyone?). Treehouse's Julius is a 100. I get that. It's not my favorite beer (I like some of their other offerings better) but I get it. It's totally unique. There's really nothing like it. Sip to me just doesn't compare. I think maybe if one was used to drinking standard lagers, it might be a nice, careful introduction to the world of over-hopped New England IPAs. But in the mean time, for me, it might be better described as just an over-hyped New England IPA.

Sorry Sip. I've tried and tried. And while you are certainly better than the masses, I'm just not connecting.

4.84/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of my all time favorite brews. Although I still prefer the bottled version brewed in Vermont, the canned version brewed at Two Roads in Connecticut is still a world class brew.

Appearance is yellowish orange, almost tangerine color with a slight haze. It's not quite as hazy as many of the other New England IPA's and IIPA's. Aroma is citrus fruit juice with huge amounts of dankness. Taste follows the nose with huge juicy citrus notes. The dankness comes through in the flavor as well. Mouthfeel is perfectly medium with good carbonation which creates a perfect finish. This beer is so dangerously drinkable. Once you start drinking, you will be amazed at how quickly 16oz disappears. At 8% ABV, you don't taste the alcohol. Any more than 2 of these can get you into trouble.

Sean Lawson creates some of the best IPA's in Vermont. All of his beers are consistently top notch. I look forward to the Vermont Brewer's Festival every summer just to sample some of his new beers, which can be tough to obtain even living in Vermont. If you ever visit Vermont, do yourself a favor and track down his beers.

4.88/5  rDev +6.8%

I had the pleasure of tasting my first Sip of Sunshine AKA "Sip" just last week. I was on line at a Market in VT waiting for the Heady Topper truck The proprietor of the market addressed the people waiting and announced that he had Sip Of Sunshine available, a knowledgeable gentleman who had traveled 75 miles from New Hampshire told me it was an excellent brew and he highly recommended it. After scoring both Heady and Sip I drove to the nearest waterfalls to enjoy my score. I enjoyed my first Sip of Sunshine directly from the can after drinking a Heady Topper. The Sip of Sunshine had a pleasant hop fragrance, The taste starts out hoppy but quickly morphs to a refreshing citrus grapefruit bitterness which slowly dissipates. The balanced carbonation results in a satisfying and mouth feel.

4.31/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Surprisingly clear for the flavors involved. Has nice fruit on the nose but taste is more crisp pine than fruit. Very nicely balanced but more traditional than the newer New England juice bombs. Excellent beer as long as you are expecting more Heady than Treehouse.

Sip Of Sunshine from Lawson's Finest Liquids