Sip Of Sunshine | Lawson's Finest Liquids

Sip Of SunshineSip Of Sunshine

Lawson's Finest Liquids
Vermont, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

This lupulin-ladin India Pale Ale is packed with juicy tropical fruit character, bright floral aromas and delectable layers of hop flavor. Pour mindfully, inhale deeply and enjoy a tropical vacation in a glass. Always store cold, enjoy fresh and stay cool!
Sip of Sunshine IPA is brewed by Lawson’s Finest Liquids at Two Roads Brewing Co. in Stratford CT.

Added by MichaelAllenVT on 04-03-2014

Reviews: 498 | Ratings: 4,179
Reviews by EvilAsh:

4.59/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Delectable in its supreme hop glory- Lawson's Finest continues to both tease and mesmerize hop-heads with tangy citrus, deep tropical and herbal waft layering gently upon one another.

Pouring with patient separation of hazy golden-peach elixir from its cottony lather, the unadulturated and unfiltered ale has a rustic but genuine appearance. The nose is awash with vibrant grapefruit, tropical punch, and hints of chive with cannabis frame the hoppy scent while a backdrop of caramel and honey give the fruit impressions a more tantalizing fructose and honeysuckle character.

What starts sweet with candied citrus and tropical fruit quickly asserts its hop flavors to overcome the weight of caramelized malt. The bitter tang of red grapefruit, blood orange, pineapple, mango, lemon and passionfruit shed its over-ripened form and favor a dried, almost musty fruit character before its bitterness steals the show.

Trending malty-dry, the medium-bodied ale finishes with a semi-light and creamy body that wraps around the smooth, resiny bitterness- giving impressions of citrus peel, pepper, botanical grasses and something only described as a "funky-freshness". It's a mystical ale that seduces each and every tastebud with unabashed appology.

4.59/5  rDev +0.4%

22oz bottle into Duvel tulip. Huge thanks to BA morningthief for picking me up 2 bottles of this (and some Heady, woo).

Appearance: Free pour yields a big frothy white head that dissipates slowly. Semi-translucent orange, sparse lacing.

Smell: Amazing. Tons of tropical fruit aroma, underpinned by pungent marijuana and pepper. I can't capture in words how much is going on here, and it's all excellent. Gets more citrusy with time (tangerine, grapefruit), remaining full of tropical fruit with those same expectation-expanding undertones.

Easy 5.0. It was a 5.0 when I first put it in the glass, and it's getting better every second.

Taste: At first it's a punch in the face of dryness and bitterness, with an oniony garlicky hop finish (Summit?). There's still some tropical fruit as well, but at first it's in the background. It doesn't take long to fill up with tangerine and grapefruit.

The flavor is basically 75% of the aroma, plus a really noticeable mouthfeel. The bitterness, dryness, and hard water scream through every sip. Could be polarizing, but I love it (and the current rating average suggests that it's not so polarizing anyway).

Mouthfeel: Light side of medium bodied, high carbonation, powerfully dry. Puckeringly succulent and grapefruit like at times. Juicy, mineraly, sometimes almost creamy.

Overall: Great stuff. I often say that Lawson is the cream of the Vermont crop (and that Double Sunshine is the best (D)IPA in America), and this beer doesn't change my impression. Interesting mouthfeel, unbelievable aroma, great flavor.

I'm not one for intricately describing how a beer tastes. But if you like IPA's and you appreciate a very smooth double IPA, this one is for you. A 1 pint 6 oz bottle of Sip of Sunshine was handed to me as I picked up two cases of Heady Topper. I originally said no, but I looked back and saw that everyone else was taking one...so I did too. I wasn't sure at first, but I'm so glad I changed my mind. Delicious beer - hoppy, fruity, fresh (bottled 15 days before I picked it up), and smooth. Is it better than Heady Topper? A little more session-able in my opinion, but not better. Not as good as Heady Topper? Wouldn't say that either.

4.78/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A little backstory: I recently reconnected online with an old friend who lives just outside of Burlington, VT. Naturally I begged him to send me some Heady Topper. "No," he replied. "If you want some you'll need to come for a visit," adding, "Heady's great, but there are even better beers up here." So I broke down and flew up there this past weekend. He greeted me with Sip Of Sunshine, which I'd never heard of. Absolutely fabulous! Following it up with my first Heady was almost anticlimactic. The latter was undoubtedly delicious, but I preferred the Sip.

Footnote: Two days later I tasted them blind, loved both, but ultimately gave a slight nod to the Heady. Regardless, Sip is totally deserving of its lofty ratings.

4.58/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Straight pour from a 16oz can to a stemmed, tulipped, oversized wineglass. This was purchased a little under two weeks ago, and according to the date printed on the underside of the can it was canned on August 24, 2015 (“08/24/15 10:55”), which would make this cab just over two weeks old. It’s been kept in good conditions.

Appearance (4.25): This can pours with a generous head of custard-colored foam . . . capping a nearly clear, glowing orange body that looks like heaven. The head, which is a solid two to three mixed up fingers of whipped foam and broad, lacy bubbles, dies down slowly, eventually leaving a half-inch thick collar of foam around the edge of the glass, connected to a combination of thick, sticky lacing and fat patches of clumpy foam scattered around the glass. Hits all style notes pretty much on-point.

Smell (4.25): Sweet citrus notes (passionfruit juice and pineapple nectar) mingle with resinous, dank, sticky green along the floral/fruity spectrum—none of the oniony/garlicky stuff—and some fusel that manages to work to the beer’s advantage. A little hibiscus and fresh-cut grass also show up in the nose. Smells like an outstanding (D)IPA, but no new tricks or frontiers are on display here.

Taste (4.75): Holy balls, you guys. This beer’s driven at first by a mixture of sweet citrus and lightly tart, alcoholic flavors like a mimosa splashed with a gimlet, followed quickly by a moderately aggressive set of bitter flavors including fresh-cut grass (I always think of chewing on Timothy, like I did when I was a kid), dank cannabis, and especially toward the finish, lime peels and white grapefruit flesh. The two other notable components to this beer—malt and booze—work in the beer’s favor but on opposite ends of the spectrum. Bits of sugar cookie, brioche with honey, and dry, floury biscuits fill out a nice body for the hops to drape themselves over, while the boozy, gaseous heat helps to expand the dank- and citrus zest-focused aspects of the hop component.

Mouthfeel (5.0): Like other top-notch DIPAs on the lower end of the spectrum in terms of body and booze, this beer is somewhat full-bodied but way too easy to drink, thanks to its extremely dry finish. The carbonation seems modest at first, but tingles and expands more than expected, the result being that it only bolsters the drying effect that the hops and booze have, working in tandem. An oily, slightly syrupy character in the body—along with the alcohol heat, which isn’t huge but is still noticeable—is just about the only thing slowing you down and reminding you how big this beer is. Outstanding.

Overall (4.5): This beer is bombastic but not out of control, and not perfectly balanced but better off for it. Its combination of hoppy bitterness, sweet and dank characters, and surprisingly boozy body make for a beer that’s best enjoyed in sips and moderate quaffs—otherwise it’s easy to miss some of its uniqueness. If you take it in quickly, it tastes like a very good but not groundbreaking (though still entirely enjoyable and even refreshing) small DIPA, but if you take it in a little more slowly you can appreciate how weird and funky its different pieces are when held up against one another. It’s doing the same thing a lot of other beers like it are doing, but in a quietly different manner. Highly recommended to both the newcomer and the veteran of hoppy, pale beers.

4.59/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2 week old, 16 oz can poured into Spiegelau glass

Pours a bright, orange - yellow that is semi transparent with a slightly off white fluffy head that falls off to a thin ring that is somewhere in between fizzy and foamy.

Aroma is citrusy, with sweet fruits, sweet malt, floral hops.

The taste is impressive. Multiple fruit flavors. Almost reminds me of a handful of those "Runts" mixed fruit hard candies we used to eat as kids, except better. Sweet malt base. Subtle funky yeast and musty dankness, and an ever so slight slight medicinal green flavor. The hops are moderately bitter and floraly, but very well integrated with the rest of the flavors. No noticeable alcohol.

The mouthfeel has a slight crispness/ spark to it that is hard to describe, but I don't belive it is from the carbonation. It is almost a peppery like rye. It is very, very creamy and full bodied without being too heavy. Oily slick finish. Outstanding. Best part about the beer for me.

So incredibly balanced and smooth. Overall, it is easily one of the better DIPA s I have ever had.

3.9/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This beer is overrated and overhyped! I wouldn't put it on my top 10 IPAs. In a blind taste test I believe many off the shelf IPAs would beat it purely on taste. The look and smell are first rate. It smells like mangos and citrus. The taste just doesn't do much and actually gets tiring to drink. I find the hops to be uninspired and not the best in terms of integration with the malt. I thought maybe it was my palette so two days later I had another's SOS. No better. No excuses for this IPA. It was fresh, had plenty of head and smelled good. However, It's drinkability is just average.

4.27/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Don't normally do the full-blown ASTM-style beer reviews because I find them a bit pedantic, but I'm prepared to do a special review for a special beer. I'll go full-blown beer reviewer for my first of the major New England IPAs (and I got some Alchemist goodies on the way to review too!). Here we go.

Look - Gorgeous and sunny - reminds of Oberon without the cloudiness from the wheat. Attractive, heavily carbonated, which leads to a bit of a nervousness on my end because of my experience with heavily carbonated IPAs and stouts, but an undeniably sexy brew.

Smell - Nose is multilayered in that I've taken in its aroma three different times and each time pull out something different. Pine, grapefruit, juicy hops, and tropical undertones populate it. I like it quite a bit.

Taste - One of the easiest IPA tastes I've come across in my life. Not a palette-wrecker when it comes to the hop character, but silky, almost buttery smooth, as it makes its pine-forward hop character known. Finishes with a decadent and subtle grace, almost a wink, as it exits your mouth.

Mouthfeel - How I like my hops in that they are pleasant and refreshing, not annihilating and overbearing. Not as soft as the beer itself but damn soft.

Overall/Verdict - One of the best beers I've ever come across and the best IPA I've yet to have (we'll see what the latter end of the month has in store for me with more desired IPA reviews). Can't get over how silky smooth and purely refreshing this beer is. Trying to conserve and sip, but end up taking in more than I want each time. It's that good.

4.55/5  rDev -0.4%

Date: 08/23/14
Type: 22oz. Bottle
Glass: Lawson's Tulip
Bottled: 08/15/14 - uber fresh

Pours a hazy golden in color w/ ever so slight ruby hues, w/ a 1/4 finger white head that leaves light sticky lacing on the glass. The nose was of peach, mango, clementine, and white grapes over mild pine and floral. The taste was big tropical and citrus fruit up front, transitioning to grapefruit, and finishing w/ mild herbal bitterness. Chewy and lush as only Lawson's can do w/ middle of the road levels of carbonation. This IPA is deceptively drinkable/sessionable even at 8.0% ABV.

Overall, awesome IPA from Lawson's that is on the cusp of being a DIPA, but either way it is a fantastic experience.

The sky blues and the clouds clear when you drink this beer! It truly is one of my all-time favorites; in my top 10, I would even say top 5. Complex citrusy hops hit you, wave after wave. Very drinkable! Salud!!

4.85/5  rDev +6.1%

One of the more unique noses I've ever experienced--a fruity sweetness, close to sugary. The taste was juicy and delicious. A unique and delicious brew; ecstatic to have it in CT!

I've sampled a many Pliny the Elder, Heady Topper, Lunch, Dinner and probably 200 - 300 IPAs. Sip of Sunshine is by far my favorite! I was lucky enough to have a very recent can of Heady, sip of sunshine, and a bottle of Lunch that I sampled within a night. All delicious!! I love them all, but the edge goes out to Sip of Sunshine.

3.42/5  rDev -25.2%

I've never understood this beer. I describe Sip as being like coffee: it smells sooooo good. And then when you taste it . . . well it's OK but it never lives up to the smell. Obviously, many coffee lovers will disagree with me on that statement. But the point is that I'm always disappointed by this brew. I've left it for months and then come back to it, made sure the cans were fresh etc. But always I end up not even wanting to finish a single can.

To me it's the least interesting of all of these top New England IPAs. It's got a sort of musty, corn/rice-grain-like undertone that I tire of instantly. Sure I get the pine and the resin (although I don't catch the citrus bomb in this one) that everyone talks about. When a friend of mine first tried it at my house a year ago, after having no exposure to these NE IPAs previously he smelled it and said, this beer smells like a Christmas tree. Maybe. But the finish isn't there for me.

There are a few beers on BA that score 100 and surprise me (Sculpin anyone?). Treehouse's Julius is a 100. I get that. It's not my favorite beer (I like some of their other offerings better) but I get it. It's totally unique. There's really nothing like it. Sip to me just doesn't compare. I think maybe if one was used to drinking standard lagers, it might be a nice, careful introduction to the world of over-hopped New England IPAs. But in the mean time, for me, it might be better described as just an over-hyped New England IPA.

Sorry Sip. I've tried and tried. And while you are certainly better than the masses, I'm just not connecting.

4.67/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bottled on 7/17. Consumed on 8/7. Poured into an IPA glass

A - Pours a softened orange with a 2 finger white head. Nice lacing and good retention. White head, hazy and loaded with sediment.

S - Mango, grapefruit, white grapes, lemons, and just a cocktail of other citrusy fruit. The smell is excellent.

T - Just an explosion of citrus. Mango and grapefruit up front. It finishes with a little bit of pine that I did not smell coming and some soft dry malt to balance it out.

M - Medium bodied, finishes dry, bitterness lingers. Perfect by my palate.

O - This is my first Lawson's experience and I am thoroughly impressed. This is easily a top 5 beer for me if not higher. The citrus cocktail that was this beer is spectacular. Love it.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a hazy golden tangerine orange shade. A big, fluffly, pillowy white head emerges. 1.5 fingers, and sticky, lacy, staying power for days. Beautiful beer here.

The nose assaults with simple-syrup sweetened candied citrus, and big, juicy mango and apricot notes. A little pine, and little dankness show themselves as well to complete a massive, beautifully complex hop bouquet.

The taste follows. It hits with some piney bitterness up front followed by wave after juicy wave of tropical fruit, tangerines, and apricots. A delicate light sweetness supports, yet stays out of the way. A medium mouthfeel and perfect carbonation keep you floating along until boom: that Vermont ale yeast stands up and hits you like the gentle, sweet lover it is.

Harmony. Balance. Complexity. Intensity.

What an incredible beer.

4.7/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Clear golden color with off-white head. Aroma is somehow sweet with oranges and tangerines. Taste has canned pineapple juice, mango and lots of pineapple fruit. Quite bitter on the finish. Awesome taste, I think the best tasting IPA I every had, if it was more aromatic it would be stellar.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Love this beer, probably more than Heady Topper. Great citrus and tropical aromas combined with the lightest hoppy dankness. Good malt backbone supporting great hop flavors that mirror the aroma. Great body and feel. Little to no alcohol presence makes this 8% IPA very easy drink.

4.88/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Canned on 12/12. This is an all-around fantastic beer. The tropical arrangement and finish are better executed than Double Sunshine, which is another equally amazing DIPA. If you haven't had this yet and you require more specifics, see my review on the aforementioned DS. For my money, this one hits all the notes and then some. When it comes to the IPA game, Vermont has the master key.

The hype is real.

4.5/5  rDev -1.5%

This is exactly what an IPA should taste like. Though Double Sunshine may be better this still is immensely complex and delicious. Tropical fruits, passion fruit, tangerines, nectarines, oranges and light grapefruit meld with a sweet caramel backbone. So easy to drink and so delicious.

4.91/5  rDev +7.4%

Got as a gift from a friend. Thx Markus! Served at 6deg C in a draught glass

A- Opens well and pours a 1" high white head that lasts for around a minute or two before film out. Medium gold colour and somewhat filtered. Looks like some sediment suspended in it but I don't call that negative.

S- Oodles of hops here. Must be a bunch of different varieties. This brew has the best of my 3 favorites IPA's all in one.

T- O boy this is good. Gotta be one of my favorites and hate it because I can't get it easily. Vermont is a LONG way away. This is complex to say the least. There are so many flavors going on I can't believe it. It's like a Headstock that is bang on but a touch better and that is saying a lot. Not too sweet, not too bitter. This is IPA perfection. Juicy, fruity and grapefruit.

M- Creamy, dry, tart, and it keeps going. Just complex on almost every level.

O- WOW this is good. I can't say enough good things about it. Hard to find something bad to say. If I had to pick at something it would be leave more goodies in it and don't filter it!

Food Pairing

This wonderful brew went perfect with....... Cesar salad! Believe it or not the cheese and anchovies just highlight this brew then the bacon breaks things up to hit the crisp nature of the salad with olive oil. Just wonderful. I like grilled chicken in mine to get it to a meal.

Enjoy!

If I could only drink one beer for the rest of my life it would be this... Over Heady, Pliny, Abrasive, Lunch, etc any day. Sooo much flavor and complexity yet so drinkable.

4.36/5  rDev -4.6%

@ Mule Bar, Winooski VT

Bright orange with a thin wispy head. Intensely pungent SoS reeks of tangerine and oranges. Tastes as hoppy as it smells, predominately orange and tangerine with a gentle, lasting bitterness and piney edges. Blooms on my palette rather than explodes. At 8% it’s go some umph but not enough to turn me off to everything else.

Jam bands and hops,that's what Vermont does best.

4.96/5  rDev +8.5%

Pours a very hazy orange with an almost white foam.

The taste is of citrus, lots of citrus, and a little bit of pineapple finishing with just the right amount of hop bitterness.

I'm an IPA whore and this might be my favorite, at least it is today. It sure makes me wish I could get to Vermont more than once a year.

4.79/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

L - Pours a very golden hazy orange. A good inch to inch and a half of bone white head forms. Very tight bubbles compose the head that dissipates rather quickly. After the dissipation a crown forms around the glass and leaves very nice lacing behind. It looks like a beer you want to drink.

S - The first aroma is of tropical fruits. Citrus of oranges, grapefruit, and slightly pineapple. The tail-end smells of the malt backbone but very subtle compared to the citrus scents up front.

T - Similar to the up front tropical notes of the smell. Citrus. Pine. Subtle hop bitterness at first, followed by a much stronger presence with bitterness on the high side. One of the most bitter beers I have had in a long long time. It definitely destroys the palate.

M - Mouthfeel is full bodied, surprisingly so. Slightly less carbonated mouthfeel than I would have expected for an Imperial, but this would not steer me away.

O - Overall this is an excellent beer. The first offering that I have had from Lawson's and I now understand the hype. If other offerings are of similar quality, they are all a home run. I would recommend anyone to pick this up at any opportunity they have, even if Imperials aren't there thing. It's definitely a tick worth ticking.

Sip Of Sunshine from Lawson's Finest Liquids