Sip Of Sunshine

Gots
SCORE
World-Class
Sip Of SunshineSip Of Sunshine
Notes: This lupulin-ladin India Pale Ale is packed with juicy tropical fruit character, bright floral aromas and delectable layers of hop flavor. Pour mindfully, inhale deeply and enjoy a tropical vacation in a glass. Always store cold, enjoy fresh and stay cool!

Sip of Sunshine IPA is brewed by Lawson’s Finest Liquids at Two Roads Brewing Co. in Stratford CT.
Reviews: 816 | Ratings: 5,916 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by Profundobaso:
Profundobaso from New York

4.43/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Look - poured from a 16 oz can into an IPA glass. Packaged on 8/23/18. Beer is a beautiful golden color and mostly transparent. Two finger head, with nice lacing, though it does dissipate after a few minutes.
Smell - various tropical fruits, supported by a hoppy aroma consisting of a complex mixture of hops. Fairly inviting.
Taste - fruitiness dominates the initial taste, followed by a wave of hoppy bitterness and several additional "waves" of hoppy flavor that subtly differs. A dry and slightly sweet finish in the end, topping off a very enjoyable experience.
Feel - medium bodied and about average carbonation. At 8% ABV, alcohol is well masked, and the beer is very drinkable, perhaps even a bit too much so...
Overall - a phenomenal brew. A double IPA that excels at its use of hops, layers of flavor, and its tremendous drinkability. Even though the beer itself is quite hoppy, this is a brew that many (including non-hopheads) may find quite enjoyable.

Sep 23, 2018
BEERchitect from Kentucky

4.59/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Delectable in its supreme hop glory- Lawson's Finest continues to both tease and mesmerize hop-heads with tangy citrus, deep tropical and herbal waft layering gently upon one another.

Pouring with patient separation of hazy golden-peach elixir from its cottony lather, the unadulturated and unfiltered ale has a rustic but genuine appearance. The nose is awash with vibrant grapefruit, tropical punch, and hints of chive with cannabis frame the hoppy scent while a backdrop of caramel and honey give the fruit impressions a more tantalizing fructose and honeysuckle character.

What starts sweet with candied citrus and tropical fruit quickly asserts its hop flavors to overcome the weight of caramelized malt. The bitter tang of red grapefruit, blood orange, pineapple, mango, lemon and passionfruit shed its over-ripened form and favor a dried, almost musty fruit character before its bitterness steals the show.

Trending malty-dry, the medium-bodied ale finishes with a semi-light and creamy body that wraps around the smooth, resiny bitterness- giving impressions of citrus peel, pepper, botanical grasses and something only described as a "funky-freshness". It's a mystical ale that seduces each and every tastebud with unabashed appology.

Jan 15, 2015
SpeedwayJim from New York

4.28/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Finally got my hands on this one. 16oz. can into a Surly teku.

As a relic of pre-NE IPA days, I'm not surprised this one looks fantastic. Goldenrod color, great head, awesome lace. Nose is pine, citrus, pineapple and grass. Surprisingly mellow with a nice sweetness. Beer opens pineapple, citrus and honeydew. Waves of tropical fruit flavor are balanced by a grassy, piney hop bitterness. A touch of cane sugar and more pineapple in the middle with an aggressive hop bite at the end. Great balance. Very drinkable. Body is light to medium with moderate carbonation. Foamy and prickly on the palate and goes down aggressive with a clean, dry finish. Excellent.

A real balanced beer overall. This one doesn't wow you off the bat but it lends itself to be appreciated more and more after every sip.

Jul 01, 2017
bibo_ergo_sum from New York

3.84/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Had this beer a couple times: first, on tap at the Blind Tiger Ale House in NY, then on tap at a pizza joint in VT and finally in a can from Beer Shop in NY. I want to love this beer. It's always exciting when the beer world baptizes its new classics. I hate to say it, but I was disappointed. That's not to say that Sip of Sunshine isn't good. Its an exceptionally well balanced, dry and clean finishing IPA with enough citrus and pine to satisfy any hophead. That being said, on tap, the beer has a distinct grapefruit character I found obtrusive – more rind than fruit – which, while it doesn't predominate the initial sip, lingers in the finish. Canned, I felt the beer was maltier than when I had previously tried it on draft. The cleanness and dryness which had initially impressed me seemed to have been dialed back while a sticky, pine tar like maltiness dominated.

Nov 03, 2017
Pahn from New York

4.59/5  rDev 0%

22oz bottle into Duvel tulip. Huge thanks to BA morningthief for picking me up 2 bottles of this (and some Heady, woo).

Appearance: Free pour yields a big frothy white head that dissipates slowly. Semi-translucent orange, sparse lacing.

Smell: Amazing. Tons of tropical fruit aroma, underpinned by pungent marijuana and pepper. I can't capture in words how much is going on here, and it's all excellent. Gets more citrusy with time (tangerine, grapefruit), remaining full of tropical fruit with those same expectation-expanding undertones.

Easy 5.0. It was a 5.0 when I first put it in the glass, and it's getting better every second.

Taste: At first it's a punch in the face of dryness and bitterness, with an oniony garlicky hop finish (Summit?). There's still some tropical fruit as well, but at first it's in the background. It doesn't take long to fill up with tangerine and grapefruit.

The flavor is basically 75% of the aroma, plus a really noticeable mouthfeel. The bitterness, dryness, and hard water scream through every sip. Could be polarizing, but I love it (and the current rating average suggests that it's not so polarizing anyway).

Mouthfeel: Light side of medium bodied, high carbonation, powerfully dry. Puckeringly succulent and grapefruit like at times. Juicy, mineraly, sometimes almost creamy.

Overall: Great stuff. I often say that Lawson is the cream of the Vermont crop (and that Double Sunshine is the best (D)IPA in America), and this beer doesn't change my impression. Interesting mouthfeel, unbelievable aroma, great flavor.

Aug 08, 2014
Fieceheart from Connecticut

3.53/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Second attempt at trying to understand all the attention and praise being paid to this beer... and it has underwhelmed me yet again. It smells better than it tastes, very true to fresh lupulin like when u crack open a hop bud... but not that strongly. Its more bitter than i remembered but there isnt the fruitiness others rave about. Its light for an 8% but its light in flavor too! My Cans are fresh... I dont know, folks, to me this is perhaps the most overrated beer in existence today. I. Dont. Get. It. And the price point?!! This is the product of pure hype.

Oct 27, 2018
topofthehops from Maryland

4.78/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A little backstory: I recently reconnected online with an old friend who lives just outside of Burlington, VT. Naturally I begged him to send me some Heady Topper. "No," he replied. "If you want some you'll need to come for a visit," adding, "Heady's great, but there are even better beers up here." So I broke down and flew up there this past weekend. He greeted me with Sip Of Sunshine, which I'd never heard of. Absolutely fabulous! Following it up with my first Heady was almost anticlimactic. The latter was undoubtedly delicious, but I preferred the Sip.

Footnote: Two days later I tasted them blind, loved both, but ultimately gave a slight nod to the Heady. Regardless, Sip is totally deserving of its lofty ratings.

Jul 21, 2016
Brutaltruth from Ohio

4.58/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

From the tall boy can in a Leffe snifter via a brew trade---Thanks Zid!
This robust IPA pours a medium bright amber with a nice head if white foam
that settles to a thick ring, thin milky layer, and showcases some of the best sudsy/
milky foam I have seen in an IPA. Nose of moderate pine, light mango, moderate
pineapple, light peach, and light honey malt touched with caramel malts. Flavors
hit the note with a honey and caramel malt backbone that is whipped into shape
with medium heavy pine notes that take the fore over light pineapple and a hint
of apple with a heavy bittering hop flavor. excellent mouth feel; medium light
carbonation, medium light mouth feel, and a lightly sweet yet medium strong
pine laden hop finish.

What more would one expect from Vermont?

Excellent!

Cheers!

Dec 10, 2017
Chris17728 from Massachusetts

I've sampled a many Pliny the Elder, Heady Topper, Lunch, Dinner and probably 200 - 300 IPAs. Sip of Sunshine is by far my favorite! I was lucky enough to have a very recent can of Heady, sip of sunshine, and a bottle of Lunch that I sampled within a night. All delicious!! I love them all, but the edge goes out to Sip of Sunshine.

Mar 15, 2016
SteveJeremy from Connecticut

4.27/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Don't normally do the full-blown ASTM-style beer reviews because I find them a bit pedantic, but I'm prepared to do a special review for a special beer. I'll go full-blown beer reviewer for my first of the major New England IPAs (and I got some Alchemist goodies on the way to review too!). Here we go.

Look - Gorgeous and sunny - reminds of Oberon without the cloudiness from the wheat. Attractive, heavily carbonated, which leads to a bit of a nervousness on my end because of my experience with heavily carbonated IPAs and stouts, but an undeniably sexy brew.

Smell - Nose is multilayered in that I've taken in its aroma three different times and each time pull out something different. Pine, grapefruit, juicy hops, and tropical undertones populate it. I like it quite a bit.

Taste - One of the easiest IPA tastes I've come across in my life. Not a palette-wrecker when it comes to the hop character, but silky, almost buttery smooth, as it makes its pine-forward hop character known. Finishes with a decadent and subtle grace, almost a wink, as it exits your mouth.

Mouthfeel - How I like my hops in that they are pleasant and refreshing, not annihilating and overbearing. Not as soft as the beer itself but damn soft.

Overall/Verdict - One of the best beers I've ever come across and the best IPA I've yet to have (we'll see what the latter end of the month has in store for me with more desired IPA reviews). Can't get over how silky smooth and purely refreshing this beer is. Trying to conserve and sip, but end up taking in more than I want each time. It's that good.

Jul 17, 2016
bfitzge2 from Massachusetts

4.85/5  rDev +5.7%

One of the more unique noses I've ever experienced--a fruity sweetness, close to sugary. The taste was juicy and delicious. A unique and delicious brew; ecstatic to have it in CT!

Dec 24, 2014
WesMantooth from Ohio

4.69/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2 week old, 16 oz can poured into Spiegelau glass

Pours a bright, orange - yellow that is semi transparent with a slightly off white fluffy head that falls off to a thin ring that is somewhere in between fizzy and foamy.

Aroma is citrusy, with sweet fruits, sweet malt, floral hops.

The taste is impressive. Multiple fruit flavors. Almost reminds me of a handful of those "Runts" mixed fruit hard candies we used to eat as kids, except better. Some peach, pineapple, orange, berry, and melon. Sweet malt base. Subtle funky yeast and musty dankness, and an ever so slight slight medicinal green flavor. The hops are moderately bitter and floraly, but very well integrated with the rest of the flavors. No noticeable alcohol.

The mouthfeel has a slight crispness/ spark to it that is hard to describe, but I don't belive it is from the carbonation. It is almost a peppery like rye. It is very, very creamy and full bodied without being too heavy. Oily slick finish. Outstanding. Best part about the beer for me.

So incredibly balanced and smooth. Overall, it is easily one of the better DIPA s I have ever had.

Dec 28, 2014
tonybonvechio from Rhode Island

4.94/5  rDev +7.6%

Canned on 1/28/17

L: Perfect golden haze, good 3 finger's worth of head that sticks all over the glass
S: Great balance of citrus and hops
T: So frickin' refreshing. Balance of citrus, bitterness, juice.
F: Light and crisp, so refreshing.
O: One of the GOATs. Insane that there's this much flavor in this crushable of a beer.

Feb 11, 2017
dms from Connecticut

3.42/5  rDev -25.5%

I've never understood this beer. I describe Sip as being like coffee: it smells sooooo good. And then when you taste it . . . well it's OK but it never lives up to the smell. Obviously, many coffee lovers will disagree with me on that statement. But the point is that I'm always disappointed by this brew. I've left it for months and then come back to it, made sure the cans were fresh etc. But always I end up not even wanting to finish a single can.

To me it's the least interesting of all of these top New England IPAs. It's got a sort of musty, corn/rice-grain-like undertone that I tire of instantly. Sure I get the pine and the resin (although I don't catch the citrus bomb in this one) that everyone talks about. When a friend of mine first tried it at my house a year ago, after having no exposure to these NE IPAs previously he smelled it and said, this beer smells like a Christmas tree. Maybe. But the finish isn't there for me.

There are a few beers on BA that score 100 and surprise me (Sculpin anyone?). Treehouse's Julius is a 100. I get that. It's not my favorite beer (I like some of their other offerings better) but I get it. It's totally unique. There's really nothing like it. Sip to me just doesn't compare. I think maybe if one was used to drinking standard lagers, it might be a nice, careful introduction to the world of over-hopped New England IPAs. But in the mean time, for me, it might be better described as just an over-hyped New England IPA.

Sorry Sip. I've tried and tried. And while you are certainly better than the masses, I'm just not connecting.

Jul 17, 2016
Aglassplease from North Carolina

4.68/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Wow! When you look up IPA in the dictionary. There should be a picture of this beer. Crisp. Refreshing. Just a perfect balance of hops. Make sure to always keep this one cold!

Aug 25, 2018
fmccormi from California

4.58/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Straight pour from a 16oz can to a stemmed, tulipped, oversized wineglass. This was purchased a little under two weeks ago, and according to the date printed on the underside of the can it was canned on August 24, 2015 (“08/24/15 10:55”), which would make this cab just over two weeks old. It’s been kept in good conditions.

Appearance (4.25): This can pours with a generous head of custard-colored foam . . . capping a nearly clear, glowing orange body that looks like heaven. The head, which is a solid two to three mixed up fingers of whipped foam and broad, lacy bubbles, dies down slowly, eventually leaving a half-inch thick collar of foam around the edge of the glass, connected to a combination of thick, sticky lacing and fat patches of clumpy foam scattered around the glass. Hits all style notes pretty much on-point.

Smell (4.25): Sweet citrus notes (passionfruit juice and pineapple nectar) mingle with resinous, dank, sticky green along the floral/fruity spectrum—none of the oniony/garlicky stuff—and some fusel that manages to work to the beer’s advantage. A little hibiscus and fresh-cut grass also show up in the nose. Smells like an outstanding (D)IPA, but no new tricks or frontiers are on display here.

Taste (4.75): Holy balls, you guys. This beer’s driven at first by a mixture of sweet citrus and lightly tart, alcoholic flavors like a mimosa splashed with a gimlet, followed quickly by a moderately aggressive set of bitter flavors including fresh-cut grass (I always think of chewing on Timothy, like I did when I was a kid), dank cannabis, and especially toward the finish, lime peels and white grapefruit flesh. The two other notable components to this beer—malt and booze—work in the beer’s favor but on opposite ends of the spectrum. Bits of sugar cookie, brioche with honey, and dry, floury biscuits fill out a nice body for the hops to drape themselves over, while the boozy, gaseous heat helps to expand the dank- and citrus zest-focused aspects of the hop component.

Mouthfeel (5.0): Like other top-notch DIPAs on the lower end of the spectrum in terms of body and booze, this beer is somewhat full-bodied but way too easy to drink, thanks to its extremely dry finish. The carbonation seems modest at first, but tingles and expands more than expected, the result being that it only bolsters the drying effect that the hops and booze have, working in tandem. An oily, slightly syrupy character in the body—along with the alcohol heat, which isn’t huge but is still noticeable—is just about the only thing slowing you down and reminding you how big this beer is. Outstanding.

Overall (4.5): This beer is bombastic but not out of control, and not perfectly balanced but better off for it. Its combination of hoppy bitterness, sweet and dank characters, and surprisingly boozy body make for a beer that’s best enjoyed in sips and moderate quaffs—otherwise it’s easy to miss some of its uniqueness. If you take it in quickly, it tastes like a very good but not groundbreaking (though still entirely enjoyable and even refreshing) small DIPA, but if you take it in a little more slowly you can appreciate how weird and funky its different pieces are when held up against one another. It’s doing the same thing a lot of other beers like it are doing, but in a quietly different manner. Highly recommended to both the newcomer and the veteran of hoppy, pale beers.

Sep 09, 2015
jrc1093 from Connecticut

4.38/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Canned on 8/8/18

I've tried this one plenty of times before, but finally had the chance to properly review...

Pours a beautiful honey-copper with two fingers of frothy, pillowy white head; decent head retention and plenty of lacing left behind to wall the glass; just a great-looking beer.

Aromas of honeyed grapefruit, earthy pine needles, dank mango peel; the balance of raw hop aromas present is so smooth, verging on almost naturally sweet, and displays excellently the evolving hops on the nose.

Taste is that familiar and smooth honeyed grapefruit along with balanced pine, dank mango notes, and the lightest hints of lemon peel; a bit of grainy malt, light peach skins, and hoppy grit are interspersed, as well. This is remarkable in its consistency from the aroma, and in its smoothness on the palate throughout.

Mouthfeel has everything going for it: smoothness, balance, perfect carbonation and a crisp, juicy finish; this is about as good as it gets.

Understandably a benchmark beer for the style; this has some truly incredible balance and consistency to it throughout, and is an eminently enjoyable drink under nearly any circumstance; it is similarly level-headed and brash, and deserving of its high esteem. A personal favorite for the style.

Aug 27, 2018
canucklehead_NY from New York

I'm not one for intricately describing how a beer tastes. But if you like IPA's and you appreciate a very smooth double IPA, this one is for you. A 1 pint 6 oz bottle of Sip of Sunshine was handed to me as I picked up two cases of Heady Topper. I originally said no, but I looked back and saw that everyone else was taking one...so I did too. I wasn't sure at first, but I'm so glad I changed my mind. Delicious beer - hoppy, fruity, fresh (bottled 15 days before I picked it up), and smooth. Is it better than Heady Topper? A little more session-able in my opinion, but not better. Not as good as Heady Topper? Wouldn't say that either.

Nov 30, 2014
ELS from Florida

3.65/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This beer is overrated and overhyped! I wouldn't put it on my top 50 IPAs. In a blind taste test I believe many off the shelf IPAs would beat it purely on taste. The look and smell are first rate. It smells like mangos and citrus. The taste just doesn't do much and actually gets tiring to drink. I find the hops to be uninspired and not the best in terms of integration with the malt. I thought maybe it was my palette so two days later I had another's SOS. No better. No excuses for this IPA. It was fresh, had plenty of head and smelled good. However, It's drinkability is just average.

Aug 28, 2015
mikeyv35 from New York

4.55/5  rDev -0.9%

Date: 08/23/14
Type: 22oz. Bottle
Glass: Lawson's Tulip
Bottled: 08/15/14 - uber fresh

Pours a hazy golden in color w/ ever so slight ruby hues, w/ a 1/4 finger white head that leaves light sticky lacing on the glass. The nose was of peach, mango, clementine, and white grapes over mild pine and floral. The taste was big tropical and citrus fruit up front, transitioning to grapefruit, and finishing w/ mild herbal bitterness. Chewy and lush as only Lawson's can do w/ middle of the road levels of carbonation. This IPA is deceptively drinkable/sessionable even at 8.0% ABV.

Overall, awesome IPA from Lawson's that is on the cusp of being a DIPA, but either way it is a fantastic experience.

Aug 23, 2014
CanConPhilly from Pennsylvania

4.13/5  rDev -10%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Canned 6/2/18 (33 days ago)

L - 1-finger yellowish head atop a translucent orange body.

S - pine, orange, caramel, cotton candy.

T - follows the nose. Lots of caramel malt sweetness, paired with citrus hops. Some pineapple, melon, and a biscuity finish. Moderate-low bitterness, moderate sweetness, low booziness.

F - somewhat slick, medium body with average carb.

O - A different beer than it used to be, but still quite enjoyable.

Jul 05, 2018
XanaduBarnes from New York

4.42/5  rDev -3.7%

Expensive but a godddamn great drink, drinkable at any time or season, had after a long stretch of lighter NE iPas and was still very nice and light on the tongue and delivering the kick the former lacked

Aug 10, 2018
HopfordBeerham from New Jersey

The sky blues and the clouds clear when you drink this beer! It truly is one of my all-time favorites; in my top 10, I would even say top 5. Complex citrusy hops hit you, wave after wave. Very drinkable! Salud!!

Feb 12, 2016
almartiros from Massachusetts

4.76/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This is one of the best NEIPA's out there can't go wrong with it as its always consistent. Great mouthfeel, smell, and taste where each sip makes you wanting more. Make sure to drink it cold as it is extremely refreshing, just a fantastic beer.

Aug 12, 2018
Munka from Massachusetts

4.37/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a delicious beer.

The look is gold, almost opaque, but little transparency with a decent one finger head in my case.
Smells is fruity, more on the orange side with a faint booziness
The taste is bitter, as expected. Has a very juicy taste and too me on the grapefruit side with an earthy aftertaste.
Feel is smooth, balanced and full

Overall this is a great introduction to the double IPA, and an even better summer beer. 15$ for a four pack seemed high for a novice like me, but with such a high ABV, and a great taste, you can't go wrong. These are best reserved for celebration or hanging out on the beach.

Cheers!