Maple Nipple

Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Maple NippleMaple Nipple
Notes: Our robust, rich maple ale is loaded with 100% pure Vermont maple syrup. It delivers a smooth and palate pleasing mouth feel with a slightly sticky finish!
Reviews: 122 | Ratings: 455 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by knicks19947:
knicks19947 from New York

Aug 21, 2017
IvoryFoxhole from Virginia

3.92/5  rDev +1.8%

16 oz. can dated 1/8/19. Poured into Aslin pint glass.

L: Big head on pour, but reduces rapidly to thin cap and ring and leaves some spotty lacing on glass. Beer is a clear reddish amber with visible carbonation bubbles.

S: Malt, yeast, and maple syrup are the three things that pop out at you.

T: Maple syrup contrasts the bittering hops and roasted malts very nicely, but still finishes fairly bitter, with sweet spots kind of popping up from time to time. Gets a little sweeter as it warms. So kind of odd. Also finishes a bit hot for 8%.

F: Medium body, light carbonation. Really odd mix of sweet and bitter that isn't always uniform.

O: It's not their best work, but it definitely screams "Vermont"

Mar 20, 2019
MasterSki from Canada

3.7/5  rDev -3.9%

Thanks to stowehop for snagging a couple of these for me - I know how tough it is to get any Lawson's. Served in a tumbler. This was Batch 131, Bottler 45.

A - Pours with a finger of white foam that dissipates to a jagged ring and some haze. Some spotty lace is left behind. The body looks like Type B Maple Syrup - a transparent darker brown.

S - Belgian yeast, light toasted grains, a touch of maple syrup, and a mix of spices. Nowhere near as maple-heavy as I'd expect from the name. Quite wit or tripel-like in fact.

T - The taste is a bit muddled, with more zesty bitterness and even less overt maple character. Malt is also a bit too understated, leading to too much spice and bitterness. Can't taste any alcohol thankfully.

M - There's a little heat on the back end, but otherwise it's pretty solid. Seems a bit light in body for 9%, but the body is otherwise smooth with lower carbonation.

D - Decent, but not a Lawson's offering I'd seek out again. Looking forward to the beers made with actual maple/bourbon barrels.

Jun 23, 2010
FFreak from Vermont

4.15/5  rDev +7.8%

I got this at the Triple Sunshine release sale in Waitsfield. I can't remember the price, maybe $8 for 22 oz. This is a gorgeous beer, clear dark-brown with an off white head that slowly dissipates and leaves lots of lace. Aroma is sweet brown sugar and very slight dark dried fruit. Taste is great - sweet but not cloying despite there being no discernable grains or bitterness. I liken the taste to a Belgian quad but without the Belgian yeast notes or high ABV. Mouth is creamy and medium bodied - very nice. Overall, a unique and delicious brown maple ale.

Jun 29, 2015
dbl_delta from Pennsylvania

4.05/5  rDev +5.2%

Undated can into pint glass. Pours a gorgeous, clear, deep reddish amber with a light golden-tan head. Initial impression is a very complicated mixture of sweetness (molasses, brown sugar, maple), a touch of hops bitterness, and bready malts. I was expecting sticky-sweet, but this is entirely different. Mouthfeel is fairly thick, but clean and refreshing. Finish is ever so slightly sticky, inviting the next sip. Lawson's has never disappointed me, and Maple Nipple adds another quality offering.

Mar 13, 2020
jrc1093 from Connecticut

3.68/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Canned on 1/7/20

Pours a beautiful clear copper-red body capped with a finger of tight, creamy off-white foam; solid retention leaves a slight frothy collar, thin cap, and moderate spread of vague, soapy lacing.

Aroma opens with dry oaky maple with a slight caramel malt backdrop, developing a subtle bit domineering savory sweetness over time; sugar-crusted pine and fresh sappy tree bark accent the bouquet over time, along with tight bits of residual sugars and a mild earthiness to round things out.

Taste brungs ample sappy caramel malts imbued with raw maple and touches of airy vanillin; sugar-crusted pine needles offer a deepening earthy tone into a slightly oaky tree bark finish.

Mouthfeel shows a medium body and light-medium carbonation, with semi-viscous middle and increasingly sticky finish; light charry bitterness on the swallow.

A maple beer through and through, one-dimensional and intense in its focus while remaining uncompromised in its balance. I find myself in the strange position of both wishing it was something more, but perfectly content with where it's currently at; a sweet, honest, and intensely drinkable 8%.

Jan 22, 2020
t0rin0 from California

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

Oct 20, 2012
PA-Michigander from Pennsylvania

Oct 15, 2015
younger35 from Minnesota

3.93/5  rDev +2.1%

Received this brew from my main man in the Cuse, BeerTruth. He has to send me at least 48oz of beer a week or I'll kick his ass. This will be my first brew from Lawson's Finest and I'm excited. I haven't had a Maple brew yet. Drank from my Ithaca Excelsior tulip.

Rare batch #66. Bottle #110.

Appearance- Pours a hazy orange yellowish with a big one finger creamy white head that has decent staying power. A decent cap and collar remains with a light amount of sticky lacing.
Smell- Some nice light maple syrup from the get go but honestly it's sort of a foreign beer smell. The brew is lightly tart in the nose as well with a bit of raw white grapes and crisp green apples. A bit of raw wheaty malt hiding in there as well. Sort of smells like one of those maple donuts.
Taste- Oh wow, I thought this was going to a sweet maple mess. Starts with a bit of crackery maltiness and light maple notes. Its no where near sweet or syrupy although it is really thick. A bit of brown sugar toastiness and light bitterness hide in the background. On the finish is a surprising amount of bitterness. It sort of lingers and has a grapefruit or orange pith like bitterness. Fruitiness isn't the right flavor description but it's something like that.
Mouthfeel- Really thick and rich with a big creamy sticky feel that surprisingly isn't anywhere near cloying.
Drinkability- I love new beers. Especially new brews that are big and original and something that I've never tasted before. This is one of those. I figured it would be tasty but I was thinking it would be really sweet and cloying and hard to finish the whole 22oz. It wasn't and I really enjoyed this. It's unique and tasty and all sorts of drinkable. Thanks Adam!

Oct 14, 2009
RyanOooh from Vermont

Dec 08, 2013
BeerTruth from Connecticut

3.83/5  rDev -0.5%

Being the BAMF's that we are, naproxen and I got a couple bottles of this at the Warren Store, w00t.

22 oz. pimp gold tin wrapped bottle poured into a goblet. Rare Batch #66 Bottle #94.

Pours a cloudy orange tinted amber hue with a thick, chunky off-white head that falls leaving a fair amount of lacing on the sides of the glass. Ehhh, the aroma is a pretty lame maple syrup scent, not the Grade A goods...but the ghetto stuff. Some sweet toasted grains and a touch of roasted malts in the nose as well. I do notice though, that for a 9% brew there is absolutely no booze what so ever in the smell. Flavor is definitely a step up from the nose. A more pronouced maple flavor, but not overdone in the least bit. A touch of smoke and some gooey candy apple flavors in there too. Some earthy hops and a slight citrus sweetness find their way on the tongue too. Good lord someone get me some freakin' BACON!!! So the body seems a bit thin for 9%, I kinda want a bit more beefiness to it. Carbonation is a bit strong as well. Holy balls in my mouth how is this beer 9%?! Oh well, no complaints here. Lookin' forward to more of Sean's beers for sheezy...bring 'em on!

mmm, nipples.

Nov 19, 2009
HeadieBrews from New Hampshire

Dec 09, 2013
xtonytx from Connecticut

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Mar 22, 2019
johnnnniee from New Hampshire

3.67/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Can from the Packie
Brilliantly clear deep copper color with a small tightly bubbled white head. Big maple and caramel on the nose and in the flavor. Light fruit a bit sweet.

Jan 15, 2019

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

Feb 01, 2016
naproxen from District of Columbia

3.91/5  rDev +1.6%

Sneakily cleared out the Warren Store with BeerTruth of this beer a mere hour before hitting SIPtemberfest :) Thanks to the wonder of hand bottling and signing I know there were only a limited number produced of this batch #66 of this, but thanks to the wonder of condensation, my bottle # is a blue felt tip pen mess of unreadable (#43?).

I poured this into my fancy "I spend way too much at Ithaca and get free shit" Excelsior tulip. I love the head (that's what he said) on this one, 2 fingers thick and it sticks around for a good minute before giving way to some real healthy lacing and thin white ring.

Ok I'm really not sure what to make of the nose on this. I get a hint of maple but then there is something else grassy (not hops) that is there as well. I'll have to come back and edit this sometime when I can put my finger on what I smell.

I'm loving that the maple flavor is really coming through on this, not just straight sweet sugar maple but real dark amber maple flavor, dark brown sugar but not too syrupy in the mouth. I still get that taste lingering after a few minutes but I have no problem with that. The carbonation on this is good. I want pancakes.

Oooooh yeah, 9%. Where? I don't really pick up the tell tale signs of higher ABV in the nose and not in the mouth until I start reaching the end of the bomber (and my sobriety). That is a + for drinkability, but I am finding now that the cloying maple sugar residue in the mouth is bringing it down a touch. A bomber will see its demise by my mouth, but not two.

P.S. Is this really a "fruit beer"? Unless I am failing at life again and do not understand the definition of "fruit", this contains none.

Nov 04, 2009