Double Sunshine IPA | Lawson's Finest Liquids

Lawson's Finest Liquids
Vermont, United States
lawsonsfinest.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

This American Double India Pale Ale is packed with juicy tropical fruit flavors and bright herbal aromas, thanks to the abundance of US-grown hops.

Added by kingcrowing on 12-18-2010

Reviews: 339 | Ratings: 2,117
4.96/5  rDev +8.8%

Got this from a verrry generous IP trade. Pours a hazy orange with a half inch tight, white head. Aroma was sweet grapefruit and malt. Taste was just amazing....Nice citrus, floral flavors. Finishes with a beautifully smooth maltiness. Trying not to fall too deeply in love as this is a tough get. Highly recommended to anyone venturing to the northern reaches of Vermont. Imagine; Double Sunshine, HT & HF within half an hour of each other....Wow.

4.38/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle shared my the man that goes by Thorpe429, thanks!

Poured into a Great Lakes snifter and believe it or not, this beer looks exactly like a DIPA. Nice lighter golden color with a bright white head that leaves some lace behind.

Very citrus-y and slightly floral in both smell and taste. Not really malt to speak of which is great. Some decent bitterness and a medium body with vibrant carbonation. Would have no problem drinking the whole goddamn bottle.

3.78/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.75

Extremely malty, to a fault for a DIPA. I had the August 2016 bottling within a week from the release. By far the biggest disappointment IPA type beer that I've had.

One of the DIPA's that started it all for me. Had it after a Heady, and loved the different hop flavor, so much citrus, both on the nose and palette.

4.57/5  rDev +0.2%

Thanks a ton to PhingDong for helping me get this one. Happy Thanksgiving.

A- Comes out of the bottle looking like lemonade. 1 finger head forms above a cloudy, hazy orange yellow body. Some lacing left around the sides.

S- Big tropical fruits take over along with some bitter hops and slight sweet malt. The fruits smell so good.

T- Nicely balanced sweetness and bitterness but bold up front. Bitterness comes through toward the middle and turns piney at the finish that lingers. Really nice stuff going on inside this bottle.

M- slightly thicker than I usualy like for an IPA but not the end of the world. Medium amount of carbonation on the tongue and my mouth is left feeling syrupy after sips.

O- Really nice IPA thats got a great flavor. I wish I could get my hands of more.

4.33/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I thought this beer would be more tropical. I think Lawson's has underwhelmed me on all the expectations I had for their beers.

A- Foggy non-transparent golden. Thick head with no retention.

S- Very mild tropical fruit, with more malty smell than anything.

T- Very sessionable, which is not a good thing when talking about a beer of such magnitude (though Pseudo Sue is sessionable too, but crushes this). Mild tropical fruits (mango, papaya, pineapple).

M- Medium to high grade on this. Thicker than most. Lots of carb follows.

O- I had expectations that this would be the best ever pale that I have had. It was way short of that. I could go shelf local and be just as satisfied. I will take one more look at this, as I just crushed a Godiva Dark Chocolate Bar that my have f*cked with my palate. I will seek out another bottle to look back on

This is the best double IPA out there in my opinion. Sip of Sunshine is a very worthy replacement for it, but double sunshine was everything I want from an IPA. The dankness of heady with the brightness of SOS. Edges out Abner as my favorite double IPA. Pumped I finally got to try it.

4.73/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle from the March 1 bottling, reviewed on April 1.

A - I am a sucker for the unfiltered IPA look. Looks like cloudy lemonade, maybe a shade or two darker. Thick white head, pours to about 3 inches, dissipates quite slowly. Leaves moderate amount of thick lacing. Very very nice.

S - smooth citrus, lemon, grapefruit. Also some juicy tropical notes, like mango. Clean and crisp.

T - this is a full spectrum IPA. Leads with juicy tropical fruit, then orange and grapefruit. Lingering around is some bitter piney type notes. The is a clean and quick punch of bitterness to finish and leave with a rich bitter orange peel after taste. Damn near perfect.

M - great. Nice hop oil. It's interesting in that the carbonation is a little hidden at first and then at the end there is a prickle of carbonation. Really nice.

O - certainly a top shelf, private stock, so good you don't want to share it IPA. Ranks second only to heady in my opinion. This is one of those beers that, if you had to pick one beer for the rest of your life, it'd be a front runner.

4.18/5  rDev -8.3%

Thanks JeepCop for the bottle!

Hazy light golden colored with a very good head and excellent head retention. Smells pretty good --- dank, leafy, weedy. My kind of IPA.

Great flavor, light malt backbone. Medium-high bitterness, good carbonation and a dry finish with no hints of booze whatsoever.

Awesome beer, VT FTW!

4.5, 4, 4, 4.5, 4.5

4.54/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Amazing surprise beer included in a box from TheSevenDuffs.

A: Pours slightly murky apricot colour with 3 fingers of bone white head which lingers and leaves clumps of lacing along the sides of the glass.

S: Bright and clean and sweet malts with citrus fruits, musk melon, musky mango and pineapple followed by hints of fresh cut pine on the finish.

T: Incredibly smooth and slightly buttery up front. and balanced with tropical fruits, citrus and pine that pair against middle notes of caramel malts. The sweet middle note slowly evolves on the finish to citrus bitters, notably grapefruit.

M: Medium bodied and incredibly smooth with medium carbonation.

O: Only of the most balanced DIPAs I've had with tropical and citrus fruits equally matched by caramel notes and a lightly bitter finish. I'm extremely lucky to have had a chance to try.

4.97/5  rDev +9%

So happy when I received this in the GIF I'm in. Thanks baconsausage

Pours a slightly hazy golden color. Thin white head and a bit of lacing. For an IPA it could use more head and lacing.

Aroma is amazing. Every fruit and citrus hop aroma you can think of. Mango, peach, apricot, grapefruit, orange. Amazing. Maybe the best smelling IPA I have had.

Taste is great. Citrucy hops. Little bit of malt. I think I taste some Nelson hops. Great.

Mouthfeel is nice and dry how I like my IPA's. Great carb.

Overall an awesome IPA that I hope I can get again. So glad I got to try one.

4.35/5  rDev -4.6%

A - Amberish in color, not very cloudy. Filtered.
L - Much like Sip of Sunshine it is very fruity and floral
T-It starts out quite bitter in a grapefruit sense but there's some citrus there as well. Finishes piney
F-Light, well carbonated, and the finish is dry due to the bitterness. O- excellent brew. Sought this out for so long and glad I finally got to have it!

4.42/5  rDev -3.1%

Thanks Robert! Pours clear light orange/gold with a scant head. Nose is bright, herbal, citrus hops, grapefruit skin, some grass and meadow. Heavily hopped throughout the palate, grapefruit rind, herbal, very dank on the finish, those marijuana hops. Tight and dry, focused. Had this right after a Hopslam and this beats the snot out of it.

4.91/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Probably one of the most perfect IPAs (with the exception of Ephraim) out there. The smell is amazing. Strong grapefruit and tropical fruits aromas. The taste does not disappoint, you taste exactly what you smell. The mouthfeel I think is what makes this beer awesome. A creamy, silky, yet slightly stickiness that lingers. Beautiful color and cloudiness. Unbelievable, this beer has ruined all IPAs for me. Nothing will ever compare.

4.58/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed on tap at Three Penny Taproom in Montpelier.

A hazy pale orange fills the glass with a nice bit of light white head. Aroma is straight up tropical fruits with lots of mango and grapefruit.

First taste is fruity and juicy with lots of great hop flavors coming through. Grapefruit and maybe even a bit of pineapple in there as well. A nice malt presence that carries the hop flavors well. Smooth medium bodied feel makes it go down like a beer half it's strength. Overall, this beer is right on par with the likes of Heady and Abner but in it's own unique way. Hard to say which is the best

4.09/5  rDev -10.3%

L-The pour is cloudy and golden. The head is immense and makes me wait for it recede to finish my pour.
S- Much like Sip of Sunshine it is very fruity and floral.
T-It starts out quite bitter in a grapefruity way. My palate eventually adjust and I find myself enjoying the beer longer the more I drink it.
F-Light, well carbonated, and the finish is dry due to the bitterness.
O- Another very good IPA from Lawson's. I feel like it it too similar to sip though. Still glad I got a chance to try it.

4.81/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is an amazing double IPA. Surprisingly, I've found it gets even better with a couple months of age on it. It becomes even more delicious, with less of an alcohol burn, and less bitterness. If you've got a few, do yourself a favor and put one away for a month or two.

4.6/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A: golden yellow with good clarity and a good amount of rising carbonation. Good level of head that holds well. lacing is good but not great.

S: A burst of orange, pineapple and mango followed by a nice piney and grapfruit note. some herbal and floral notes qualities are present as well. the hops are very well rounded with no sign of astringency

T: Again very citrusy hop profile with some bitter pine and grapefruit. very juicy and fresh tasting. Some grassy notes provide an earthy quality. The maltiness is subtle and light while still providing a bit of sweetness

M: Very smooth with no heat and a perfect level of dryness

D: A great DIPA overall that is extremely easy to drink with no offensive qualities at all

4.2/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 22oz bomber. It pours with a rich 2 finger head that hangs around for a while. The copper orange color seems to glisten in the glass.

Smells of tropical fruits, mango and pineapple mainly, with some back end resinous pine bitterness and some sweet bready malts.

Taste pairs nicely with the nose. Bitter hops give way to the sweet tropical fruits, bready malts, and pine resin to finish. As the flavors linger, they play the bitter/sweet back and forth.

Mouthfeel is exceptional. Rich but not too thick and perfectly carbonated, this is how a DIPA should be.

Overall, I think this is a well put together beer. Not worthy of the hype surrounding it (I think Heady Topper is much better), but a solid brew none the less.

4.52/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big props to BostonRyan to scoring some on a VT trip and sharing the love. 22 oz bottle 1 wk fresh poured into a Speigelau glass.

Light golden clear body with a thick creamy head of small and medium bubbles with great retention and lacing, hard to get much better.

Smells quite tropical with strong notes of grapefruit, mango, papaya, guava, orange, with more subdued hoppy grass and piney notes. Definitely a juicy smelling beer.

Great layers of complexity here with multiple flavor levels. I am getting that Citra tropical juicy hop profile, although slightly more subdued that the nose would indicated. Much more herbal and piney on the taste with surprising bitterness. No alcohol burn evident. Bitterness lingers.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, a tad oily, moderate to high level of carbonation, a sticky and dry finish.

Overall an outstanding DIPA that I am privileged to have tried. In a style where such giants as Pliny, Heady, Abrasive, etc historically dominate, Double Sunshine comes close to a top 5 choice for me but falls just short, and I feel it's rating may be inflated by rarity. Still a fantastic brew though and a must-try at some point for all DIPA fans.

4.47/5  rDev -2%

on-tap: review based on multiple samples at the ACBF (boston, 06/04/11). between this and the acer quercus i spent a good amount of time camped out in the lawson's line.

pours a burnished gold tone with a touch of haze, yields a nice creamy head with good retention and lacing evident.

nose is aromatic; just full of flavor. big hoppy bouquet of citrus and tropical fruits, with secondary notes of malt and pine. outstanding aroma.

more of the same delivered in the flavor. lot of tropical/citric goodness with just enough balancing malt. very, very nicely done. i think it compares well with FW double jack, one of my current favorite DIPAs.

medium-bodied mouthfeel with average carbonation.

overall, very nicely done. lawson's has impressed the hell out of me, though doing so seems to come easily for them. if we could just ramp up the production a bit and get some ditributed to MA...

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

Bottle about three weeks old

Pours a slightly hazy apricot color with big soapy white head that lingers quite nicely.

Aroma is floral and citrusy. Tangerine, orange juice, peach, pineapple, pungent flower, with a faint dankiness. Vary balanced aroma with a hint of sweetness.

The taste brings big resiny notes of spruce, orange peel extract, lemon, spearmint, bitter pineapple, dough in the shadows, and something earthy that I quite can't pinpoint. Definitely kumquat in there as well. Very unique flavor profile and doesn't really represent the west coast or east coast style of IPA. Some complained of too much sweetness in this but I can't taste it. The citrus hop character gives off a sweet like flavor but it's in no way off putting.

The mouthfeel on this is surprisingly full and somewhat creamy. Have not had this kind of mouthfeel before in an IPA. It works with the flavor profile.

Overall a world class IPA that doesn't quite make my number one spot but is definitely in my top five. Not another double IPA I could remotely compare to this. Well done Lawson's.

4.75/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Double Sunshine by Sean Lawson is amazing.
Pouring a bottle into a snifter, the color is a nice nectarine hue.
Aromas, so sweet and tropical...juicy!!!
First taste, not a bitter IPA at all, but complex and hoppy and fruity. Piney notes, not too resiny.
Subsequent sips the beer balances out and I get a touch more bitterness.
Mouthfeel is great, not too thin.
Overall this beer is fantastic. It is perfectly named. It's juicy and sweet and full of sunshine.

3.11/5  rDev -31.8%

8th Anniversary bottle acquired via trade.

L - Clear dark orange with two fingers of white head

S - Oddly sweet with butterscotch and caramel. Barely any earthy hops. Malt-dominant.

T - Really weird buttery taste. It's almost like an old Heath bar with butterscotch and toffee notes. Some faint hints of grassy hops and some wet pine tree. So odd.

F - At least the body is full, but those flavors linger. Drinkability is scarce.

O - I recall having this beer two years ago on a trip to VT and it was a citrus explosion and one of the best IPA's VT had to offer in a state full of world class breweries. I honestly do not know what has gone wrong with this beer. Is it a bad batch? Did the recipe change? I wish I could have done a full review of the beer I loved in 2014, but today, this is just plain bad. Sorry.

4.29/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Big thanks to my cousin Ben for grabbing this. Countdown to review 200!

A- Pours a very light golden, Literally like sunshine in my glass. Small head that sticks around decently

S- Very grassy with some citrus notes. Hints of booze

T- Like the smell there is the grassy hops in here as well. There's citrus in the middle and booze/pale malts in the end

M- Good carb. Nothing out of the ordinary, well done

O- Delicious? Yes. Best IPA every? Not even close. I'd drink this if I found it but would not seek out

Double Sunshine IPA from Lawson's Finest Liquids