Double Sunshine IPA | Lawson's Finest Liquids

Lawson's Finest Liquids
Vermont, United States
lawsonsfinest.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

This American Double India Pale Ale is packed with juicy tropical fruit flavors and bright herbal aromas, thanks to the abundance of US-grown hops.

Added by kingcrowing on 12-18-2010

Ratings: 2,133 |  Reviews: 343
4.65/5  rDev +1.8%

Big thanks to mikesgroove for dropping bombs on my palate during Hobo Cookout #1 and sharing this with me! Bottle #53 from Batch #174! Served from bottle into a Stone nonic. Poured a hazy yellow-orange with a two finger slightly off-white head that subsided to half a finger slowly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of swee malt, mango, grapefruit, citrus, and citrus hop. The flavor was of sweet malt, mango, citrus, grapefruit, citrus hop, grapefruit hop, and subtle marijuana. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was an excellent brew. Really great in all aspects on this one. The flavor completely floored me on how fresh and potent it was... Really glad I got the chance to try this one and if you have not, you should as well as it is definitely worth it!

4.67/5  rDev +2.2%

Bottle generously given as an extra by youbrewidrink. Thanks Joe!

Pours hazy sunshine gold with a good amount of sediment floating about. Capped with a two finger head of tight white foam. An attractive crown of white lace.

Bright tropical citrus, mangoes and papaya. Bright herbal tones as well. Floral and sublime not many beers can pull off an aroma like this.

Cracker light malt, uplifting and compliments the bright grapefruit pith and tropical fruits. Bitterness is creeping but hits at the end with a drying sensation. Alcohol on the end as well but delicious.

Texture is luxurious, smooth and clean despite the haze. Medium bodied and dries very well.

A fantastic DIPA rich in tropical hops, bright and so drinkable. Artful craftsmanship that you can sense at all corners. A great experience and a brew to be savored.

4.25/5  rDev -7%

4.81/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Review #1000. Woo.

Double Sunshine pours about medium orange. Darker than I expected. It's quite hazy, and that cloudiness makes the color seem a bit flat, rather than glowy. On the other hand, it has a truly excellent head. The foam is a bit rocky and bone white. Very good retention. A couple inches of bubbles stayed up for a long time, and there's lots of lacing. Bubbles are all over the walls of the glass.

The aroma is a superb tropic fruit salad of hoppiness. Pineapple and mango for days. There's also some bright tangerine, lemon and peach flavors in the mix and a touch of pine at the end. Best of all, the aroma is fresh and strong. Hops hit me right as the cap came off the bottle. Juicy as can be. There's probably a touch of pale malt in the background, but this is a hop party.

The taste is similarly loaded to the gills with tropical fruit hop flavors, though there's a bit more citrus to it. It tastes like pineapple-tangerine joy. It's sweet and bright, but the hops show a little muscle with some solid bitterness that courses through each sip. However, it's among the most flavorful bitter hop notes that I've come across, just a perfect level to keep the sweetness from running away. Mild honey-ish pale malt flavors hold up all of these wonderful hop flavors, and it stays appropriately out of the way. Finish is long and full of pineapple, pine and grapefruit hop flavors.

Mouthfeel is creamy and full, but the beer still seems pretty light. There's a very pleasant hop oiliness to the beer. Carbonation is pretty normal. Good stuff.

This is an absolutely wonderful beer. I've had a lot of DIPAs, and this one is way up near the top for me. The hop flavors are big, juicy and bright, and the tropical fruitiness is just great. I particularly like the flavor-packed taste, which doesn't scrimp too much on bitterness. The malt doesn't get in the way, and there are simply no real flaws to point out. Lawson's is an absolutely wonderful brewer, and I'm happy to have this beer mark a reviewing milestone for me.

4.42/5  rDev -3.3%

Thanks to spycow and the rest of the Chicago Crew for leaving me a tickable portion of this bottle.

A - Yellow colored beer that was a touch hazy, white head bubbled up. Little bit of stick left on the sides for a nice looking beer.

S - Awesome good. Citrus, pineapple, tropical fruit, subtle touch of pine, and a hint of resin. Pretty much as good as it gets on the nose.

T - Taste is right up there with the best DIPAs I've had. Tropical fruit is great and not too sweet. There is enough malt precense to give it body, but you really don't notice it. Good bitterness to it.

M - Medium bodied, refreshing carbonation.

O - Awesome beer, I want more. One of the better crafted DIPAs I've had in some time.

3.75/5  rDev -17.9%

4.77/5  rDev +4.4%

Gorgeous orange body with a soapy white head. Lingering aroma of citrus, tropical fruits, cantaloupe, really fruity with some dank aromas too. Flavor is terrific. Hops come through in a big way with all of the fruity hop flavors playing off of each other, but the kicker is a great toasty malt flavor. It sneaks in just enough to balance this one out nicely, but it is definitely a tremendously hoppy and bitter DIPA. Drinks great too, with a nice light body, but huge flavor. Damn this is good.

4.67/5  rDev +2.2%

22oz bomber from caguiar.

Pours a hazy golden orange with a small wispy white head that recedes to a swirl of foam and thick collar.

Aroma is massively hoppy with mostly juicy citrus hops - pithy white grapefruit and orange zest. Some lemongrass and pien resin underneath the citrus. There is a bit of bready malt sweetness but definitely not a lot of balance in the nose.

The taste has a mix of oranges and pineapple citrus with a hefty floral dankness with some herbal and grassy notes. The finish is bitter and resinous.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodiied and well carbonated. I do get a hint of alcohol burn in the finish which surprised me a little but didn't take away from the beer.

Another outstanding hoppy beer from Lawson's. I was a big fan of the Triple Play I just tasted and this is even better I think.

4.74/5  rDev +3.7%

Had this on 2012-02-4 in Lititz, PA. Special thanks to matador677 for this special treat today; along with the also-special FFF Zombie Dust and The Alchemist's Heady Topper. Just awesome.

A - Mildly-hazy, golden-orange with a fluffy off-white head with moderate lacing.

S - Wonderful. Everything you could hope for with tropical, citrus, hop floral and a light touch of pine. Not dank.

T - Wow. Perfect. Hop forward bitterness, orange and pineapple flesh, lighter touch of mango and sweet pineapple, pale malt, citric zest bitterness. Dries nicely and leaves a to-die-for bright and bitter aftertaste.

M - Medium body and the right amount of carbonation. Smooth and full-bodied. Really nice.

O - One of the finest DIPAs; no question. Smells great, delicious, substantial and refreshing. Wow.

4.5/5  rDev -1.5%

3.54/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle from youbrewidrink and shared by Doopiedoopiedoo. Some name, jackass.

From a bomber into a snifter

APPEARANCE: Pours a one finger, fluffy looking, white head with good retention. Hazy gamboge orange with medium levels of carbonation. Head fades to a foamy cap and sticks to the sides of the glass. A splotchy wisp remains and leaves some dots of lacing down the glass.

SMELL: Really big nose with piles of tropical fruit. Pineapple, honeydew melon, cantaloupe and some grapefruit aromas. Big nose, fruity, and really enticing.

TASTE: Starts off with some grassy hops, pale malts and honeydew melon, then moves into a big and bitter finish. Pale malt sweetness and a touch of caramel through the middle, then lots of hop bitterness with piney and grassy notes linger on the palate. Very flavorful and persistent, but lacking that tropical fruit explosion that the nose had advertised.

PALATE: Medium body and medium levels of carbonation. Creamy on the palate, smooth going down and finishes a touch dry. Bitterness lingers. Good feel.

OVERALL: The nose was outstanding to say the least, but the taste just didn't follow suit. The tropical fruit that came out so well in the aroma would have been great in the flavor, but instead we were greeted with lots of straight bitterness and grassy hop flavors. Decent, but not what it could have been. Still, very happy to try this and look forward to more Lawson's in the future, as they've always been enjoyable. Cheers again boys.

4.6/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Very traditional look. Bronze orange one finger head that stays very well. Elite lacing. Great clean hop smell. Get the scent from a few feet away. Noticeable malt backbone. A dank resin on the taste and feel. Some orange & peel. A little juicy and a little sticky. Medium carbonation.

4.73/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This review is dedicated to my bride. She hates long drives and agreed to make the PILGRIMAGE to Warren, VT to grab this bottle (and a few others!!) Thanks for making the drive! Cheers to you Melissa!

Well, this review started Friday night at the ACBF in Boston. For some strange coincidence the best beer of the night has appeared to me in the first several samples in 3 of the last 5 years. This year was no exception and I literally fell in love. Of course, I wanted to visit Lawson’s booth as I had heard wonderful things. As my second beer of the night I tried this Double Sunshine. The heavens opened even before I tasted it. The aroma is just unreal. Let’s just say three hours later Sean and all at the Lawson’s booth knew exactly who I was as I visited again & again.

Fear NOT, this review is NOT from a sample size. I am sitting with bottle # 17 (my favorite number) of batch 212. I got up Saturday and drove 400 miles round trip to pick up a few bottles after hearing that there was some more AND that Sean mentioned he’s done brewing this “for a while” Enjoying the bottle is just the same. Insane.

So this is a first for me. I have decided that this is my favorite beer I’ve ever tried. For me IT IS “the perfect 5” Seriously, what could be better about this beer other than having it fresh on tap in my basement at all times?

Pours with a fluffy off white head with decent retention. Lacing clings in thick clumps everywhere. The beer has a subtle unfiltered haze to it while being a golden amber color. Gorgeous looking beer.

The aroma, frankly is to die for. So fresh and thick with floral grapefruit peel scents. It’s almost like someone curled a grapefruit peel under your nose and released all the oils in the skin. Just below this also lies some fruitiness. The best.

Where do I start? The resinous citrus/tropical flavors just burst in your mouth. Have you seen the current Starburst commercials where they claim the juice explodes in your mouth? Well this is that in a beer sense. Your mouth waters as is splashes in your mouth with a huge burst of juicy tropical goodness. The malt profile is perfect. Light cracker goodness that provides just enough backbone to let the freshness and hops shine. It’s been said before and it’s never been more true than here. The English created the IPA... Americans perfected it. Question, can there be a wonderfully bitter aftertaste that is refreshing? The answer is YES.

Body is amazingly smooth and refreshing for a DPA registering in at 8% abv. I almost can’t believe it. This beer can do some damage before you know it. Th bright fresh mouth feel is so lively and refreshing. The only thing holding you back from quaffing it is that you will only have it on a limited basis..

Truth be told, 400 miles wasn’t too bad to grab several bottles. I would have driven a lot more, but my wife would have made me make that trip solo. I’ll do it again, I can assure you. I think I am so intrigued knowing that it’s life is so short. Certainly after a month, it starts to fade into oblivion. Of course, few of Sean’s IPA’s ever make it that long on this earth. These sure as hell won’t

I’ve often talked about how the journey for the perfect beer was as much fun as the destination. I still agree with that notion. But the end of the line was PERFECT.

Congrats. You have made MY perfect beer!

Edit - Posting my review moved this from "A" to "A+" I could NOT be more proud!!!!

4.5/5  rDev -1.5%

4.47/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bomber courtesy of TheLostGringo, poured into a Gandhi-Bot tulip. Been pining after this one for quite some time.

A: Very slightly hazed pale amber body under an inch of fine off-white head. Standard retention, plenty of delicate lace. Attractive.

S: Much more subdued than I was expecting, but once I stick my nose down in the glass I get some nice ripe tangerine balanced against a keen minty herbal note. Lovely, but not the room-filling hoppiness I was hoping for.

T: My first sip more than makes up for any disappointment I felt from the nose, as this is a truly delicious brew. Richly juicy citrus hops are front and center, with orange, tangerine, grapefruit, and mango. Underneath the sweet hops is a layer of pleasantly bready malt, followed by clean herbal bitterness on the finish. Absolutely phenomenal.

M: Soft, well-carbonated medium body. Velvety.

O: Great. I think I'd still take Heady or S&S #5 over this, but it would be a tough decision. Worth the hype, and by far my favorite Lawson's IPA.

Cheers!