Double Sunshine IPA | Lawson's Finest Liquids

Lawson's Finest Liquids
Vermont, United States
lawsonsfinest.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

This American Double India Pale Ale is packed with juicy tropical fruit flavors and bright herbal aromas, thanks to the abundance of US-grown hops.

Added by kingcrowing on 12-18-2010

#14
Liked:
4.67/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 2,135 |  Reviews: 343

4.2/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Many thanks to Dereck for sending a couple bottles of this.

The beer pours a slightly hazy orange amber color with good head retention and light lacing. The nose is interesting in this beer, and not what I was expecting. There is a LOT of tropical fruit on the nose, with mango, papaya, peach and cherry. There is some underlying pine and orange citrus as well, just enough to let you know this won't be hot mess of a malt bomb. The flavor profile replicates the nose pretty closely, though as expected, there is enough hoppy bitterness to counter all the tropical fruit and malt in this beer. This beer is really a mouthfill, and I get almost something of a dry honey flavor in the midpalate as well. The mouthfeel is almost dense in this beer, and is very full, especially for a DIPA. Alcohol is generally well integrated into the flavor profile, though there was a hint of heat from the alcohol at the very end of the finish.

A very nice beer, no doubt, though I'm not quite sure I understand the top 10 ranking. This sort of reminds of masala mama on steroids, and while delicious, it's really not in the same league with Heady Topper, Hop Slam or the two pliny's. Regardless, this a delicious IPA, and one I'm very glad to have finanlly had the chance to try.

4.74/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I'll preface the review by saying that if you're a beer enthusiast and Vermont is within driving distance, albeit a trek, the hours spent in the car are worth the price of admission. Is it a double sunshine, or is it a solar flare in liquid form that just emptied into my Surly pint? Either way, this unfiltered masterpiece is looking more like a mimosa than a glass of beer. There's enough residual lace on my glass to give a dendrochronologist a beergasm. The nose on this (for me) is pretty straightforward: Juicy Fruit chewing gum and fresh cut grass. It tastes like a well-balanced mixture of tropical fruits with just enough malt backbone to give it that perfect kick. Not overly bitter, just exceptionally balanced and masterfully crafted. So smooth; so drinkable; the abv on this one is masked and then some. This is a stellar beer. Lawson's Finest has done what I'm sure numerous other brewers have attempted, but their labor of love is simply put -- better executed. To my fellow hop heads and self-professed IPA lovers, I implore you to seek out this beer. If it were more accessible, it would maintain a permanent residence in my fridge.

Well done.

4.02/5  rDev -13.9%

Solid beer. Nothing more, nothing less. The hype surrounding this beer, all the "juicy" reviews had me expecting more. Don't get me wrong, good, but not great.

A - beautiful hazy more sunshine lemon than orange. Unfiltered, so as expected.

S - More muted than expected. Aggressive swirl brings out grapefruit rind and a vegetal and earthy component. More impressed with the grassy raw earth component here than the citrus.

T - there is a less than refined and raw earthy hop component to the taste which I can appreciate, although the "tropical juiciness" that everyone raves about is slim to none. The raw and bitter grapefruit rind is trying to shine, followed by lemony orange hints that make their appearance ever so slightly. Honestly, my 4 rating here is borderline generous. I'm slightly confused as to why this is frequently compared to other heavy hitters overly discussed on here.

M - very nice, but not as "sessionable" as others I can think of that share the same ABV. 1/2 way through it gets somewhat mealy. After 22oz, I'm good; which usually isn't the case with most other 8% DIPAs.

O - my trader on this one is awesome, reliable, and I'm assured this is not an old bottle. However, there's no bottle date, so I have no true reference to freshness. All I can say is that I'm glad I've knocked this off my list, but I can think of plenty of year round accessible beers that easily measure up to this one. Don't get me wrong. I'm very appreciative of this trade and opportunity. The coolest thing about this beer is the slogan in the label. "Straight from the green Mountains to your head." My type of people.

4.25/5  rDev -9%