Double Sunshine IPA | Lawson's Finest Liquids

Double Sunshine IPADouble Sunshine IPA

Lawson's Finest Liquids
Vermont, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

This American Double India Pale Ale is packed with juicy tropical fruit flavors and bright herbal aromas, thanks to the abundance of US-grown hops.

Added by kingcrowing on 12-18-2010

Reviews: 333 | Ratings: 2,076

22 oz bottle, batch 183, bottle 99. Thanks Conor and TCassel! Shared with Jeff and Ben.

Pours a bright, slightly cloudy golden color with a massive, fluffy white head. Head never fades and leaves streaks of thin lacing. Aroma is pure hops, fresh and dank. Dominated by pine and floral notes, slightly sweaty, with a background of sweet tropical hops and malt. Flavor is strong fresh pine and citrus rind. Very clean and dry with a pleasant mild bitter finish. Mouthfeel is soft and medium thick, exceedingly drinkable. A little lighter than your typical DIPA, but extremely enjoyable and smooth.

Update. Just drank a few bottles of batch 211 within a few days of picking them up from the Warren Store. After being lucky enough to have this on 4 or 5 occasions, this has become my favorite IIPA. Tons of fresh tropical and citrus fruit with balancing, not abrasive bitterness, this is incredible.

Update 2/16/12. Eff it. One year later, still has never disappointed me and drinking a fresh sample now complements of Josh. If I don't give this a 5, I will never give anything a 5.

Bottle poured into a snifter glass with a hazy copper color (not too dark though) with a decent amount of white frothy head. There is a good amount of lacing as the head subsides. The aroma was straight dank; you get a lot of pine and citrus with this one. The taste pretty much follows suit with a nice even balance throughout the whole bottle. The mouth feel has solid carbonation (not too much, not too little) with a slight dry finish on the palate. The hype surrounding this beer is definitely real. Lawson's totally delivered with this one!! Cheers!

I've had this beer many times..Best place to have it-on tap at the PIG.
This is right up there with Heady Topper and anything by Hill Farmstead.
I travel to the Warren Store often and depending on what the selection is at the time,i can usually score me up some tasty Lawson's. I'm always up for trading, let me know.

Okay, the double sunshine is almost do i dare say it: Heady Topper.
Same look and feel but taste a bit more bodied. Beautiful gold color, super creamy from head to finish. Very thick lacing, and such an inviting nose. One swallow and the first thing to come to mind is: Liquid Gold! I'm not sure of the hop content, lets just say Hop Heads are smiling every where about this beer.

I'll post a review on the Triple IPA as well, have a few in the fridge right now.

This review is dedicated to my bride. She hates long drives and agreed to make the PILGRIMAGE to Warren, VT to grab this bottle (and a few others!!) Thanks for making the drive! Cheers to you Melissa!

Well, this review started Friday night at the ACBF in Boston. For some strange coincidence the best beer of the night has appeared to me in the first several samples in 3 of the last 5 years. This year was no exception and I literally fell in love. Of course, I wanted to visit Lawson’s booth as I had heard wonderful things. As my second beer of the night I tried this Double Sunshine. The heavens opened even before I tasted it. The aroma is just unreal. Let’s just say three hours later Sean and all at the Lawson’s booth knew exactly who I was as I visited again & again.

Fear NOT, this review is NOT from a sample size. I am sitting with bottle # 17 (my favorite number) of batch 212. I got up Saturday and drove 400 miles round trip to pick up a few bottles after hearing that there was some more AND that Sean mentioned he’s done brewing this “for a while” Enjoying the bottle is just the same. Insane.

So this is a first for me. I have decided that this is my favorite beer I’ve ever tried. For me IT IS “the perfect 5” Seriously, what could be better about this beer other than having it fresh on tap in my basement at all times?

Pours with a fluffy off white head with decent retention. Lacing clings in thick clumps everywhere. The beer has a subtle unfiltered haze to it while being a golden amber color. Gorgeous looking beer.

The aroma, frankly is to die for. So fresh and thick with floral grapefruit peel scents. It’s almost like someone curled a grapefruit peel under your nose and released all the oils in the skin. Just below this also lies some fruitiness. The best.

Where do I start? The resinous citrus/tropical flavors just burst in your mouth. Have you seen the current Starburst commercials where they claim the juice explodes in your mouth? Well this is that in a beer sense. Your mouth waters as is splashes in your mouth with a huge burst of juicy tropical goodness. The malt profile is perfect. Light cracker goodness that provides just enough backbone to let the freshness and hops shine. It’s been said before and it’s never been more true than here. The English created the IPA... Americans perfected it. Question, can there be a wonderfully bitter aftertaste that is refreshing? The answer is YES.

Body is amazingly smooth and refreshing for a DPA registering in at 8% abv. I almost can’t believe it. This beer can do some damage before you know it. Th bright fresh mouth feel is so lively and refreshing. The only thing holding you back from quaffing it is that you will only have it on a limited basis..

Truth be told, 400 miles wasn’t too bad to grab several bottles. I would have driven a lot more, but my wife would have made me make that trip solo. I’ll do it again, I can assure you. I think I am so intrigued knowing that it’s life is so short. Certainly after a month, it starts to fade into oblivion. Of course, few of Sean’s IPA’s ever make it that long on this earth. These sure as hell won’t

I’ve often talked about how the journey for the perfect beer was as much fun as the destination. I still agree with that notion. But the end of the line was PERFECT.

Congrats. You have made MY perfect beer!

Edit - Posting my review moved this from "A" to "A+" I could NOT be more proud!!!!

Serving: bottle

Appearance: Just like the name says, bright sunshine, slight haze.

Smell: Big citrus, grapefruit. Then some pine.

Taste: More grapefruit and soft malt, crisp pine finish.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and clean, almost dry quenching.

Overall: Definitely the best DIPA I've had, and probably the best beer overall.

One of the finest beers I have ever tasted. We came up for the lawsons anniversary and tried many of the best beers in the world at hill farmstead and alchemist. I have now had all of the top 10 except VBDL. I think this is my new favorite. Sunshine is the best of the 8 or so lawsons I tried this weekend.

Had this on tap at ACBF in Boston on June 1st. I tried every IPA there and some showed well but Double Sunshine was a stunner. I mean many 95-100 IPA's just paled in comparison. They seemed lackluster, which is a shame because alone they are excellent brews.

The nose is massive citrus, the flavor is huge grapefruit/orange/pineapple, and its bitterness is so smooth. My wife commented that it tasted like a summer day. I wish I could pump this into my veins!

As far as IPA's go Double Sunshine is more seamless than most IPA's made today. Lawson's makes some top notch beer. If you ever wanted to try a 100 point IPA, get some of this!

Bottom Line: Utterly fantastic! Memorable and beyond!

4.99/5  rDev +9.2%

This is an amazing brew! a citrus, orange aroma smacks you in the face when poured into the goblet. The appearance is very cloudy so this is the only drawback to this beer but really who cares what it looks like. The taste is legendary! Pliny, Heady, Abrasive status. This is a must seek, must have beer for any IPA lover. One of the finest, well crafted beers I have ever had...period!A crisp mouthfeel completes this truly incredible beer.

Bottom Line: Legendary IPA!

4.99/5  rDev +9.2%

Bottled around 1/16. Poured from a bottle into a snifter. The appearance is hazy but nothing untypical of an unfiltered DIPA. A fellow taster noted that it's actually pretty clean for being unfiltered. Deep hazy yellow color with bright white head. Smell is of tropical and citrus hops. The taste is the same. Very hoppy yet very balanced. This beer finishes really hoppy yet not too bitter. Hops linger on the tongue reminding you how delicious it is and leaves you wanting more. The perfect Double IPA!

4.99/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured from gold foil capped bottle into tulip glass. Poured a nice medium amber color with excellent clarity for the first pour. Thin white head with nice carbonation. Later pours were quite cloudy. The hops really come through in the nose, with nice citrus, tropical, and pine scents. The taste is phenomenal with tons of tropical fruit, balanced malt, and a very slight bitterness on the end. Mouthfeel was very refreshing and crisp. This is an extremely well balanced IPA that matches its description perfectly.

4.98/5  rDev +9%

S- Bomber bottle poured into a snifter
A- Poured this beer in thirds... First pour was Gin clear, 2nd pour was slightly hazy, and the final pour was quite hazy
S- WOW simply amazing! Nuff Said!
T- Super clean, super fresh and outstandingly refreshing!
M- Outstanding!
O- This beer is right there with the best of the best! Everyone likes to compare Pliny the Elder and Heady Topper but in my opinion this is better suited for the Pliny argument! These beers have more similarity. Double Sunshine gets the nod over Pliny in my opinion! Such an amazing beer! This beer is about as close to flawless as you can get! Looking forward to the Triple Sunshine!

4.98/5  rDev +9%

I had this at ACBF on Friday and went back 4 times just to make sure I tried it enough to write a coherent and honest review about it. I truly cannot find anything wrong about this beer. When the person poured me my allotment each time, I kept getting blown away. The aroma is, honestly, the closet thing we have to 'Ambrosia'. Every fruit you can think of: pineapple, mango, papaya, cantaloupe, grapefruit. Its the same for the flavor profile.

If I could say ONE little tiny criticism, is that the mouthfeel/flavor was just a TAD too sweet for me, but I am just nitpicking at this point. An absolutely amazing DIPA that I am lucky I got to have multiple tastings of.

4.98/5  rDev +9%

Had this on Tap at the Three Penny tap room in Montpeliet VT this weekend. Had a hard time decideing between the 3 different hill farmstead offerings, rising tide calcutta cutter, and Heady Topper but i was very happy i choose the Lawsons. To me this beer is a more well rounded heady topper. the taste has alot of simialarities but the mouthfeel of this beer is just so much better. The color was great and the aroma was out of this world. This beer is outstanding. So much going on with this one. Was blessed to get to try it on tap while i was there being the local bevy sold out of there delivery in 45 mins. If you are anywhere in the local viscinity of this beer on tap drop everything and get there if theres any left!

So happy when I received this in the GIF I'm in. Thanks baconsausage

Pours a slightly hazy golden color. Thin white head and a bit of lacing. For an IPA it could use more head and lacing.

Aroma is amazing. Every fruit and citrus hop aroma you can think of. Mango, peach, apricot, grapefruit, orange. Amazing. Maybe the best smelling IPA I have had.

Taste is great. Citrucy hops. Little bit of malt. I think I taste some Nelson hops. Great.

Mouthfeel is nice and dry how I like my IPA's. Great carb.

Overall an awesome IPA that I hope I can get again. So glad I got to try one.

4.97/5  rDev +8.8%

This is a phenomenal ipa. This beer pours a golden yellow color with light orange hues. The smell is citrus and pine hops all rolled into one. The flavor is hugely hoppy with a real hop bite the citrus comes through first then the piney hops forward the middle followed by a bitter dry hop bite. This is the reason lawsons won the ipa crown. This beer has a nice light to medium body with good carbonations and a crisp bitter bite. Overall tied for my top two favorite ipas the other being Abner from hill farmstead.

4.97/5  rDev +8.8%

Bottle shared by Thorpe429. Thanks Mike!

The beer is a clear, golden hue with a thick finger of white head that leaves a generous amount of lacing on the glass.

The aroma is awesome, and I know right away that I'm in for a treat. Pine, grapefruit, melon, citrus.

The taste does not disappoint, bringing a healthy dose of fresh hops and citrus fruits. Alcohol content is masked extremely well in both the aroma and flavor. At 8% abv, this beer is dangerously easy to quaff. Hoppy grapefruit juice. Mmm.

The feel is light to medium bodied with a very nice feel on the palate. The finish brings a healthy dose of dryness and bitter hops.

Overall, a terrific beer and well worth trying. I've been pretty impressed with everything I have had from Lawson's Finest Liquids so far.

4.96/5  rDev +8.5%

Got this from a verrry generous IP trade. Pours a hazy orange with a half inch tight, white head. Aroma was sweet grapefruit and malt. Taste was just amazing....Nice citrus, floral flavors. Finishes with a beautifully smooth maltiness. Trying not to fall too deeply in love as this is a tough get. Highly recommended to anyone venturing to the northern reaches of Vermont. Imagine; Double Sunshine, HT & HF within half an hour of each other....Wow.

4.96/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured from bottle into Bruery snifter.

This beer pours a cloudy neon orange. Large head quickly settles to form an uneven layer on the beer. Thick lacing all down the glass.
The smell, seriously....this smell of HUGE citrus. I could sniff this ALL day long.
Taste is wonderful; sweet and bitter all at once. There is a nice fresh hop oil presence. Big and bold, this is not subtle....but it isn't brash. It's big and bold in the best way possible. This shit is off the hizzle!!
My mouth is in heaven. When a take a big mouthful of this sexy woman in my mouth I want to leave her linger there, savoring the silky feel of her. Thick and full, this beer hits the mark.
This is a Hell of a beer. A rare treat for sure, I hope to enjoy this again!!

Had to update my review. Seriously, this is as perfect as a beer can get.

4.96/5  rDev +8.5%

This poured out as a very nice looking yellow color with a fluffy white head on top. The head retention is strong and the lacing is very good too. The smell is loaded with floral, fruity and citrus aromas. The smell is almost addictive. The taste of the beer is solid as well, lots of piney citrus and melon flavors with a great malt backbone as well. The mouthfeel of the beer is very drinkable, soft and refreshing. Overall it's excellent. Very happy to have tried this beer finally.

4.96/5  rDev +8.5%

Double Sunshine currently ranks as my all-time favorite beer, though it should be noted that this distinction is strictly reserved for the multiple batches of 2014 bombers and drafts I sampled throughout the spring and summer of that year.

Those delightful golden batches of Double Sunshine were without a doubt the best DIPA's in the world.

Subsequent tastings and revisits of this beer have fallen a bit short of what I remember this beer to be, but overall there is no beer better than Double Sunshine.

4.95/5  rDev +8.3%

Picked it up at The Warren Store, Warren Vt.
22oz. bottle with foil top.
Poured into oversized Duvel snifter so I can get my nose into it and inhale the citrus love.

A- Poured out a beautiful golden hue that became clear enough to read the label through the other side of my glass. Amazing for an unfiltered brew. Well done.

S- Citrus explosion... juicy juicy juicy... yum. Tropical notes...grapefruit... yum

T- Amazing... this is what I crave in an IPA. Great flavor profile... hoppy and well balanced. Crisp and refreshing.

M- Light bodied and incredibly light on the tongue. Carbonation is right on the money.

O- I've had most of the others in the top 10 DIPA's...( Pliny E and Y, Heady Topper etc) and I gotta say-- Double Sunshine is top notch. Lawson really knocks it out of the park with this one. Can't wait until I get back to VT. and get more.

4.95/5  rDev +8.3%

On tap at Hen in the Woods restaurant in Burlington.

A: It pours like every other DIPA, dark yellow/light orange color, hazy, pure white head, good lacing and good retention.

S: This is juicy stuff. Tons of fresh (slighlty unriped) pineapples, peaches, mango, clementines. A very sour but very tropical juice. Then, you get some of grass like hops that is typical to Vermont it seems. Sugars seem low.

T: This is extremely tasty, tons of sour pineapples, peaches, mango and clementines just attack the tongue right at the beginning. Super fruity and juicy. Then you get a real solid hop smash of dry-ness that never gets chalky, but is always on the side of citrus peels and grass. A light sweetness lingers on after the storm to remind you of the fruit notes. Amazing.

M: Super light and never sticky, just like I love my DIPA's.

D: This is superbly drinkable. Like any top tier DIPA, you don't feel the alcohol at all and it has a similar level of drinkability as a tropical fruit juice.

THIS IS IT! This is the best DIPA I've ever had. It's the perfect blend of fruits, sourness, dryness, and just enough sweetness. This is a top tier beer and, to my tastebuds, this is better than Heady Topper. Damn near perfect if you ask me.

4.94/5  rDev +8.1%

Fortunate enough to find some of this brew at the notorious Winooski Bevvy. At $10 a bomber, I figured it was worth a try. Served in a Fiddlehead snifter.

A: Cloudy, beautiful. Somewhere between yellow and orange--a bit different from some of the IPAs I've had of late.

S: Overwhelming citrus hop profile, with an emphasis--as the label description alludes to--on tropical notes.

T: Akin to the aroma, this beer is overflowing with juicy, refreshing, fruity tropical hop flavors. I could drink this again and again.

M: Perfect & supple.

O: Having had what I believe to be some of the best beers Vermont has to offer, I somewhat reluctantly decided to give Lawson's a try despite the relatively steep pricetag. It's an obligation, really, when so many would kill to try such an amazing beer from a fantastic brewery. And, despite the fact that, even living just an hour or so from Warren, Lawson's beers are still relatively unreliable to come by, I am extremely grateful I dropped $10 on this guy. Double Sunshine is undoubtedly one of the best--if not THE best--DIPA I've ever had the pleasure of tasting. It is very much on par, for me, with some of Hill's best stuff in the category. Finally, this beer did something I had previously thought impossible--that is, make Heady Topper feel relatively subdued and simple. Try it if you can.

4.94/5  rDev +8.1%

Had on tap at the Reservoir Taproom in Waterbury, VT. Why did I get only one pour?

The best beer I had from many I tried on my Vermont trip. Pours and looks like orange pineapple juice. Smells like pure citrus hops, juicy and ripe as all hell. Tastes like what I imagine heaven is like- so fruity, citrusy. The hops are having sex with my mouth. Light bitterness lingers on the palate with each sip.

Medium bodied, great carbonation. Unbelievably drinkable, no alcohol presence.

Thank god for this beer.

4.94/5  rDev +8.1%

A: Golden slightly hazy beautiful white head nice lacing

S: Just an overwhelming amount of citrus and tropical scents in the nose this jumps out at you

T: Kiwi, melon, grapefruit, berries just every tropical fruit you can imagine soothing your taste buds before fading to a biscuity refreshing malt character and very little bitterness.

M: Medium bodied and fairly dry

O: World class. Had this just before Heady and preferred this. Just an incredible beer. Preferred by me over Pliny as well.

Double Sunshine IPA from Lawson's Finest Liquids