Double Sunshine IPA | Lawson's Finest Liquids

Double Sunshine IPADouble Sunshine IPA

Lawson's Finest Liquids
Vermont, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

This American Double India Pale Ale is packed with juicy tropical fruit flavors and bright herbal aromas, thanks to the abundance of US-grown hops.

Added by kingcrowing on 12-18-2010

Reviews: 337 | Ratings: 2,094
4.78/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle poured into a Spiegelau glass, compliments of BRClemons - thanks for this one Brady!

A: Pours a hazy light copper with just over a finger of white frothy head that reduces fairly slowly and leaves a fair amount of lacing. When the head reduces it leaves a thin dense layor across the entire top of the glass.
S: The aroma coming out of the bottle before I even poured was a total dank bomb. I get a near even balance of pine and citrus, which I would give the slight edge to pine. When poured into the glass the same balance remained, but once it started warming up the pine became even more dominant.
T: The taste is the opposite of the aroma for me. It's almost an even balance, only with the slight edge going to citrusy fruits. It remains this way through the whole glass. I can't believe just how much flavor is packed into this beer.
M: Perfectly carbed, leaves a slightly dry finish.
O: My new benchmark for the style. The balance in aroma and flavor is near flawless. I am always nervous going into a highly rated beer, fearing it's all hype. Double Sunshine has absolutely earned it's reputation.

4.77/5  rDev +4.6%

Big thanks to Shadesofgray for the hook up here. Very excited to drink this beer. Poured 22 oz bottle into a brand new Founders CBS snifter.

A- Pours nice bright golden color. Fluffy thin head on top. Leaves sticky lace here and there. Slight haze to it.

S- The aroma just sucks you in as you pour the beer. Lots of juicy hop notes. Floral, tropical, citrus, grapefruit, pineapple it just keeps coming with amazing smells.

T- Exactly what you want from a DIPA! Burst of great hop flavors throughout. Grapefruit, citrus flavors up front. Some piney flavors in the middle. Very nice bitterness, but not overdone. Some caramel malts in the background, but don't take anything away from the hops.

M- Medium body. Moderate carbonation. Oily coat to the mouth feel.

O- Really one of the best DIPA's I've had. Start to finish it was really amazing. Great balance without to much bitterness. I can't thank Ryan enough for this treat. Would drink this any day!

4.59/5  rDev +0.7%

A huge thanks to Aberration. One of my top wants for quite a while.

A- Pours a light gold with a two finger head that dissipates quickly leaving some spots of lacing behind. Fairly light for a DIPA, but the color does match the name well.

S- Right after opening the cap, the aroma of a pungent tropical fruit salad is noticeable within feet of the bottle with guava, passion fruit, mango, peach, lemon zest, some pine resin, fresh cut grass, fresh flowers and just the tiniest bit of caramel malt, though it struggles to make itself noticed.

T- Tropical fruit emerge first with guava, passion fruit, mango, peach, pineapple and lemon followed by orange pith, pine resin, grass, and a hint of a caramel malt.

M- Low to medium carbonation with a medium body and a oily mouthfeel. The bitterness lingers on at the finish, but isn't overpowering by any means. One of the longest aftertastes I’ve had in a beer.

O- Overall, this is a fantastic and unique IPA that lives up to its hype and competes with the best DIPAs. A really nice tropical fruit presence with a dry finish that isn’t overly bitter. Hope to have again in the future.

Thanks again Nick!

MANY MANY THANKS to Beenitty. A surprise extra that landed on my porch earlier this afternoon, and something I have been wanting to try since I heard of it. Pours from bottle into Brooklyn tulip. Pours a cloudy very light yellow color- pretty unique looking for a IIPA, normally much darker of a color. nice head and decent retention, after a few minutes it recedes and leaves a sticky looking lacing around the glass. Smell- wow. a blast of citrus to the nostrils. Lemon zest, tropical flavors (mango, pineapple, papaya). Very herbal and clean smelling. This smells amazing. Taste- WOW. I am blown away. Just a blast of citrus on the front of the palate. Almost puckeringly citrus sourness, like biting into a lemon. It rounds out with some sweetness on the backbone that balances out the tropical fruit and citrus, leaving just a perfect mix of citrus sweetness on the end. No real bitterness here, the hops manifest themselves almost 100% in the form of fruit/citrus/tropical flavors and the sweetness that the malt delivers is just amazing. I just burped and up came some piney flavors. This is a perfect beer. Just absolutely amazing. Getting a 5 on all fronts from me, officially better than Pliney, and all the other elite IPA's I have ever had. I'm blown away by this beer.

4.55/5  rDev -0.2%

Bottle shared by Chris, and again by Ethan - thanks! Poured into Lost Abbey Tumbler both times. Golden color with a slightly hazy yellow and a foamy white cap settles to collar. Smell is very tropical and sweet, really nice hop balance, very green and fresh, grassy slightly sweet malt in the back. Taste is very grassy followed by tons of tropical bitter hops, some sweet tropical fruit, pineapple, grapefruit citrus incredibly complex hop flavor. Medium body and medium carbonation with a somewhat dry flavor. Very solid ipa with a unique hop profile. I thoroughly enjoyed this, one of the most drinkable beers at 8% abv. Lawsons should cease production of about half their beers (I am looking at you, maple nipple) and produce this one year round. One of the best beers in the style.

3.21/5  rDev -29.6%

Thanks to Hopsbreath

Appearance- Hazy sunshine color with a small white head. 4.5/5

Smell- Little bit of an ammonia smell. Some pine and little bit of malt. 3.5/5

Taste - Pine hop flavor. Some floral, citrus, and ammonia. 3/5

Mouthfeel- A rare, thin DIPA. That is the way I like them though. 4/5

Overall- This started out rather well. Piney and a little citrus. After it warmed up a bit, however, it kinda gave off a weird, funky taste. Didn't really like it after that. Maybe it was just me though. 2.5/5

4.83/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

On the same night (the best night in recent memory) I was blessed with Pliny AND Double Sunshine IPA by Lawson's Finest! Needless to say, heavenly bliss ensued.

A - Pours a beautiful, hazy, light copper, almost a dark straw color. Almost a good 3 fingers of chunky, foamy head. Definitely unfiltered and natural.

S - Huge citrus punch in the nose, Earth tones galore on this one. Very herbal. Hops mingle at the end, its an outdoorsy pasture smell, reminds me of working on the farm and bucking hay.

T - Huge wave of citrus and hops at first. At the end there is a light hoppy-bitterness but finishes in a flash. You are left with slight residues that punches your tongue.

M - It is a punch in the mouth, I know I have already said that, but its honestly the best way I can describe it. So many different characters roll across the palate. It finishes nicely, leaving a thick, almost juice-like aftertaste feel.

O - So many levels that are always changing. Every drink you can pick something different and unique up. Loved this brew.

4.72/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass. Overall, a great DIPA - extremely well balanced elite mouthfeel keeps you coming back for more. One of, if not the, most balanced DIPA I have had the pleasure to try!

4.18/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bomber bought at Winooski Beverage Warehouse. This was poured into a Lawson’s tulip. The appearance was a hazy burnt orange almost brown color with a one finger white to off white foamy head that concaved gracefully to leave some bubbles inside of a thin white cap. The smell starts off with a sweet onion up front and then some light tropical fruits and a delicate sweet and bitter sprucy piney stickiness. The taste was mainly bitter backed up by a light sweet tropical fruit revolving around the pine. Bitter sticky piney-ness leading into the aftertaste and finish. On the palate, this one sat about a light to medium in body with a good sipping quality and a danky sweet stickiness clinging to my tongue. Some slight hop oils lay down to want to allow a certain slick feel, but still indicates a well balanced oily to slick and clinginess on my tongue. Overall, what a wonderful DIPA that I know I would have again.

4.74/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I'll preface the review by saying that if you're a beer enthusiast and Vermont is within driving distance, albeit a trek, the hours spent in the car are worth the price of admission. Is it a double sunshine, or is it a solar flare in liquid form that just emptied into my Surly pint? Either way, this unfiltered masterpiece is looking more like a mimosa than a glass of beer. There's enough residual lace on my glass to give a dendrochronologist a beergasm. The nose on this (for me) is pretty straightforward: Juicy Fruit chewing gum and fresh cut grass. It tastes like a well-balanced mixture of tropical fruits with just enough malt backbone to give it that perfect kick. Not overly bitter, just exceptionally balanced and masterfully crafted. So smooth; so drinkable; the abv on this one is masked and then some. This is a stellar beer. Lawson's Finest has done what I'm sure numerous other brewers have attempted, but their labor of love is simply put -- better executed. To my fellow hop heads and self-professed IPA lovers, I implore you to seek out this beer. If it were more accessible, it would maintain a permanent residence in my fridge.

Well done.

4.59/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

So nice to revisit last night after a long absence. Wish it were available more often. Wonderful beer. One of my top 5 DIPAs. More juicy than heady. More dank than haze. It's a nice combination of tropical and resiny. Classic Lawson's mouthfeel. Nose isn't social and it's a tiny bit too sweet for me, but otherwise almost perfect.

4.69/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: Poured from a bomber bottle into a stemless wine glass. Orange-marmalade in color with a hint of brown. 2-finger, frothy white head. Beautiful lacing.

S: A symphony of hop characteristic with a light sweetness that isn't the least bit cloying. Citrus rind, orange juice, fresh pine boughs, some mango and passion fruit, fresh herbs, I could go on forever on the aroma notes in here. Each whiff brings up something new and enticing!

T: This beer is fresh and crisp, with pound of flavor, and it's not afraid to get a little dirty. Well-balanced, with a nice juicy sweetness to form the backbone, with hop, hop, hop flavor layered on top. Notes of succulent tropical flowers, grapefruit and pine hops, some earthy grass and dirt on the swallow, with the overall impression that this beer was fresh squeezed from some magical beer fruit, or tapped from some magical beer tree. This tastes organic and natural and pure.

M: Clean and crisp with just enough to chew on to give you texture. You feel just a touch of the 8% abv in terms of heat, but mostly this is refreshing and juicy feeling. Not dry like some DIPAs I've had. This beer isn't out to destroy your mouth and palate, but more to dance on it and excite it.

O: World-class. This is how I imagine DIPAs would taste if they were found in nature. Harmony of flavors and feel, with a nurturing quality to the taste. Outstanding and worth whatever wait you need to get it.

4.68/5  rDev +2.6%

Date: 09/16/13
Type: 22oz. Gold Foiled Bottle
Glass: Heady Stemless Glass
Vintage: August 2013

Finally was able to acquire 2 bottles of this one.

Pours a crystal clear golden in color w/ a 1 finger white head that left big sticky lacing. Aromas of citrus, mandarin orange, grapefruit, fresh cut PVC pipe, and dope. The flavor was a touch of malt sweetness up front, leading into mandarin orange and grapefruit, and finishing with very mild herbal bitterness. The mouth feel is absolute perfection and what makes this beer what it is. Medium bodied, but sits pillowy in the mouth w/ Belgian like carbonation and finishes dry. As far as drinkability goes the bomber was almost gone before I finished the review, absolutely no need to share.

Overall, fantastic brew! A notch above Heady Topper, but the notch is very small. This is the 2nd best DIPA I have ever had just above Heady Topper and slightly below the mighty Sosus.

4.62/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle to Lawson's sniffer

A:golden yellow bright in color with a fluffy bright white head that goes away but leaves a thick lacing. It is cloudy and completely opaque

S: Smells like fresh piney resiny hops definitely some citrus in there too really good quality smell not your average hop bomb

T: follows the nose very fresh hops with pine resin flavor but not overwhelming there is also a little bit of juicy citrus flavors like pineapple nice bitter finish but fairly well balanced for how hop forward this is not overwhelming.

M:smooth slightly resious/sticky feel but not that much but also juicy I use that word instead of watery because it is a little thicker while stile being thin and has a citrus feel. This aspect makes it extremely drinkable and the alcohol is totally hidden.

O: great Beer nice juicy fresh hops with a juicy extremely drinkable beer it is probably the most drinkable dipa I've ever had. I think this is Lawson's. best ipa and I highly recommend it if you can get it and drink it fresh

4.62/5  rDev +1.3%

And the epic DIPAs from New England continue. . . Heady, ghandi bot, Nor, and now this guy: Double Sunshine.

These 4 give the west coast a run.

A gorgeous clear golden straw pour.

Smells of tropical goodness : pineapple, peach, pear, mango. It's all there.

Taste is a huge bitterness followed by a nice malt smoothness. Waves of fruit hit the palette and just keep on coming. The hop bite seals the deal at the end.

Overall an outstanding DIPA. Ranks with the best of them.

4.02/5  rDev -11.8%

had at Lawson's 8th anniversary on tap;
Had it along side a couple other lawson's IPAs, and it was a bit of a let down. I thought SOS had much more hop presence
I did love the heavy malt back bone, but again it didn't have near the hop presence I wanted it to for a big Vermont IPA. I think this one might be a member of the hype train or perhaps it had been sitting around to long leading up the the release at the anniversary party.

4.32/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours bright orange, hazy, unfiltered with a one finger head. Smells of sweet orange and citrus, floral. Taste is sweet and smooth, with a caramel sort-of malt. Hoppier than Sip of Sunshine for sure. Finish is dry and bitter. Overall, pretty good. Well above average, but for Lawson's -- they've done better. I may actually take a standard Sip of Sunshine over this beer. I think the Triple Sunshine stood out a bit more than this as well. Still... a nice DIPA, and I'm really glad to have tried it.

4.42/5  rDev -3.1%

Unwrapped the gold foil from the 22oz bottle to reveal a crown that seems to have been over-compressed. Due to the high price paid, I am nervous. Uncapped with very little exhaust...now I am very worried. Poured from the bottle into a 22.5oz Libbey Citation snifter (Model# 8409)

A- Pours a beautiful, hazy golden but with only about 1/8" head. Based on other reviews announcing copious head, I am thinking this bottle suffered a leaky cap...very unhappy.

S- A swirl to build some additional head revealed a party of citrus floral and pine...absolutely perfect, 5.0. The Alchemist's Heady Topper is brought to mind.

T- The first sip revealed a delightful and well-balanced dance on the taste buds...the epitome of a hop lovers dream supported by a wonderful malt backbone. All the flavors anticipated by the aroma were represented with a lingering hop essence in the olfactory zones.

M- Low to moderate carbonation (again, the cap didn't look healthy and even took a picture before uncorking) suffered an epic experience of this brew. I am just happy that I didn't wait any longer than I did to enjoy this specimen.

I am proud, not only to have experienced a Lawson's Finest Liquid, but I am thankful the Double Sunshine was my first. Due to the cap issue, I would like to try it again, but not likely due to the investment. The enigmatic brewing talents of Sean Lawson are legendary and live on!

One of the finest beers I have ever tasted. We came up for the lawsons anniversary and tried many of the best beers in the world at hill farmstead and alchemist. I have now had all of the top 10 except VBDL. I think this is my new favorite. Sunshine is the best of the 8 or so lawsons I tried this weekend.

4.68/5  rDev +2.6%

A: Golden orange. Thin white lacing head on the border. Glows like a harvest moon with even translucence in clarity despite being murky.

S: Tropical: grapefruit, tangerine, melon, pine.

T: Tropical but with much more pine balance. Wowed initially. No alcohol to speak of. The flavors definitely narrow and blend together as this warms, which is overall more of a negative than a positive. This is however all about balance.

M: Very approachable and forgiving for being such a hoppy beer. Carbonation is PERFECT.

O: My first thought upon opening, smelling, and taking the first sip was "wow this is the perfect (d)ipa)" and better than any hill farmstead ones. As I drank through my 1/2, I began to think that it was only better than some and rivaled their best. Reminiscing, I can't say that this is better than Ephraim batch 2. But that was enjoyed straight out the tap. I'm not holding my breath for a better (d)ipa in a bottle.

3.9/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a nice golden yellow with a great citrus nose..really nice. Very smooth IPA..not really bitter and very flavorful...lots of tastes and nice fruity notes. All around, I really enjoyed this beer.
This is a great IPA, hands down, no doubt. I am honestly not sure why it has a rating of 100 though. I dont think it is a "100" beer, but a solid, really good IPA! Nothing exraordinary though...

3.5/5  rDev -23.2%

Acquired via trade and was told it was from a "recent batch", no bottle date, so I really don't know how fresh this was. Interesting citrus aroma/taste, but overall, I found this very disappointing. This was by no means a standout double IPA, very underwhelming. I shared the bottle with 2 friends that agreed that this just wasn't very good. I'd be very interested to try this again, knowing that the bottle was fresh, but until then, my rating will stand as-is.

4.65/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Hop profile seems a little different compared to sip of sunshine. Papaya and pineapple on the front end followed by resinous hop bitterness. Decent offering.

4.54/5  rDev -0.4%

Purchased at The Valley Players Theater in Waitsfield, VT during the Farmers Market on 3/21/12
(240 calories)

Price - $9.99/bomber

Pours a hazy orange color with a creamy white one finger head. Suds stick around for a bit before fading off to patchy bubbles. Good and sticky looking with a fair amount of lacing.

The aroma is amazing with an intense blast of citrus fruit. First up is grapefruit and lemon followed by oranges, tangerines and a light smell of pine. The nose is full of hops from the start right to the finish.

The taste comes on strong once again bringing on the citrus flavors. Grapefruit, pineapple, lemon it's all there draped over a near perfect balance of sweetness. Surprisingly smooth and drinkable for the abv. Finishes clean and delicious.

The mouthfeel definitely stands up to a double with a medium body and not overly carbonated. A zesty feel through out followed by a delicate bitterness and ending somewhat dry and resinous.

Overall this beer has some amazing qualities (aroma in particular) and was a real treat to experience. Somewhat of a bitch to get a hold of but well worth the effort and price. I have several other styles from Lawson's I grabbed and can't wait to open them up. Add this one to an ever growing list of fantastic IPA/DIPAS coming out of Vermont. Nice job!!

From a bomber in trade

Pale yellow to light apricot color-- medium head

Aroma is citrus- light apricot, pineapple, and orange, with piney dank hops.

Flavors are similar and very well integrated. What really gets you right away is the creamy-factor!
Lush full mouth feel with good carbonation, almost no discernible malt (just the way I like it), and a mildly bitter finish.

Overall, well, the 5 speaks for itself. Right up their with Heady and HF-several, but Abner comes to mind.

Double Sunshine IPA from Lawson's Finest Liquids