Triple Play IPA | Lawson's Finest Liquids

Liked:
4.4/5
Alströms:

4.84/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Triple Play pours more of an amber coppery orange color- which is mildly distinct when compared to Sean's other IPA's. I like the look, but I personally prefer the golden honey orange of his Double Sunshine or Kiwi Double (nothing to take away from triple play at all). Fantastic smell with big juicy citrus at the forefront- mostly dominated by grapefruit and that's about it as I pick up on little to no malty sweetness or piney smells. Taste is very much in order with the smell, a clean citrussy grapefruit and orange at first from the CItra slowly fading to a slightly bitter resinous pine from the Centennial. The thing that I love about this IPA is the malt is all but removed from the taste leaving the hops to explode on your pallet. The brew sits with more of a mild bitter piney taste and I am experiencing little to no alcohol in the aftertaste. With such a minimal malt presence one could think this would be an overly bitter brew, but this isn't the case at all. The taste is what really what makes this beer for me and the hop profile is amazing. I give a perfect 5 for taste as Sean was able to pack SO much flavor into an IPA- I mean I have had at least 20 DIPA's that don't even come close to this hop flavor profile. If this had been a DIPA I may have scored it a 4.75, but as of now I am saying best hop flavor for a single IPA going!

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours clear gold with a fine, creamy foam head. Pine and lightly toasted bready malts on the nose. Light to medium sweet flavor, some toasty grass, bread, mellow orange, citrus peel. Medium bodied with fine, massaging carbonation throughout. Lightly resinous finish, some toasty grass, pine, dry toasty pale malts, orange, hints of grapefruit. Overall, a decent IPA with some let down probably due to the fact I was spoiled by the Chinooker’d and Double Sunshine (which I tried last year and my favorite IPA from the brewery).

4.45/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

It's a cloudy glass of beer. Dark orange in the shadows and glowy yellow-orange in direct light. Medium head, off-white. A blanket of little bubbles. Good lacing and retention. The aroma is a very bright blend of citrus and tropical fruit. It smells like a smoothie made of oranges, tangerines, pineapples, mangoes and papayas. Rich and fruity and citrus sweet. Very little malt character. Just a pungent load of hops. My only knock is that the aroma could be a bit stronger. This bottle is pretty fresh, but I wouldn't be shocked if a pour off a newly filled keg would raise my score. The taste has wonderful hop flavor, particularly for a 7% abv beer. It's just packed with complexity and delicacy. The bitterness is fairly mild. It's just got a ton of flavor. It has that same mix of citrus and tropical fruit. Very bright and sweet, though there's little malt sugariness. It's just all fresh, tasty hops. What malt can be found is light and a bit cracker-ish. Long finish full of grapefruit-ish hop bitterness. Pretty dry. Mouthfeel is medium. Really fills the mouth with flavor. Nice dry finish. Good platform for the hop flavors. This is an excellent IPA, on par with the best of the style. I've been very impressed with all of the Lawson's beers that I've tried, and I'm thrilled to be able to sit down and have a bottle of Triple Play to myself. Great stuff.

4.8/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

It is difficult for me to understand how beer enthusiasts outside of Vermont are getting their hands on Lawson's Finest Liquids, but more power to you if you can make that happen. I live an hour from where they make this stuff and it has become extremely difficult to purchase multiple bombers depending on their production.

Again, thanks to my buddy & hop mentor for the opportunity to try Triple Play. All I can say for these Lawson's elixirs is WOW! There is a pride and closeness to attention that make their small batch hand crafted beers extra special, and Triple Play fits squarely in that category.

Triple Play pours a cloudy, hazy off orange color, and the nose is delectable. Simply varying degrees of excellence between this and the Double Sunshine. All of the best attributes in tropical fruit aroma/flavor and aftertaste are delivered but in a slightly heavier consistency than the run of the mill DIPA or Triple IPA. The body is the heavy side of medium, and it rests on the palate. The aftertaste is enjoyable with every slow sip, as this is not a beer for quaffing.

I very much look forward to getting my hands on multiple bombers of Lawson's for my beer archive in the coming months. If you can find this one, chances are good it while make you smile.

Triple Play IPA from Lawson's Finest Liquids