Toast | Lawson's Finest Liquids

4.75/5  rDev +21.2%

4.75/5  rDev +21.2%

4.57/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A Lawson's black IPA? Heck ya!

This puppy is as black as the lettering on the bottle...just gorgeous. The fluffy off white head provides a nice contrast to the dark depths that lie below.

Smell is pure hop goodness with a hint that this is not going to be an ordinary IPA (as if your eyes have not given away that part of the story already). It smells so good that I want to eat it...if that makes sense?

Taste is bitter and roast, and then the citrusy piney hops kick in on the back end and in the aftertaste. Oh yeah, this is what I was hoping for. Each sip leaves me begging for more. Definitely a terrifically balanced beer with the hops and malt sharing a loving embrace.

The mouthfeel is a tad thinner than I expected, but no matter...it's not staying in my mouth long enough for me to care. My only worry is whether I'll be able to score another bottle any time soon.

4.54/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

After reviewing Lawson's DOUBLE SUNSHINE last week, I must say it left a lasting impression.
Disappointed to see only one variety available on delivery day, it only seemed appropriate after the journey to give TOAST a try based on the quality of the amazing Double Sunshine.

This Black IPA confuses the senses: the opaque creaminess that poured into the imperial pint glass released a rich malty, chocolate-like aroma that is incredibly well balanced with the hops.
The nose is very inviting, and unmistakably hoppy. Before taking the first sip I had to remind myself to keep an open mind having been so thunderstruck by the Double Sunshine.

I do not agree at all with previous reviews that stated burned, charred flavors were predominant: carefully toasted wheats, barley & rye is more accurate.
There is a delicious malty richness that blends very nicely with the hops here.
The mouthfeel and carbonation are supreme, and the aftertaste grew on me more with each sip, particularly as it warmed a bit.

While my preference leans towards cloudy orange tropical fruit bombs, I found TOAST a most interesting and satisfying change of pace that I ended up enjoying a whole lot more than I anticipated. There is a very complex mélange of flavors that run across your palate as you develop an impression of this black ale: the hops are very well blended, the alcohol doesn't even seem to exist, and the creamy deliciousness delivers a very satisfying hop blast that you might not expect from the appearance.

TOAST is well worth a try, quite enjoyable, and I feel deserves higher marks based on its own merits as another fine small batch hand crafted ale. There are a number of Black IPAs that have been introduced to the market recently ,and TOAST is among them.Is it a world class beer? My palate says yes.

Side note: I've bought several beers that have been ranked EXCELLENT and WORLD CLASS that don't even begin to match the quality and complexity of TOAST in my personal opinion. Proof that personal taste plays an enormous role in your own singular impression.

4.44/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This black IPA was so very enjoyable.
Pouring into a snifter, thick and black.
Smell was hoppy, nice roasted malt, coffee, chocolate notes.
Taste was intense and delicious almost a touch of eucalyptus. Strong, hoppy, caramel, coffee, roasted malt flavor.
Overall this beer is damn impressive, full of flavor and a fantastic representation of a black IPA.

4.44/5  rDev +13.3%

4.39/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Lawson's Finest Liquids - Toast - 1pt 6fl oz bomber

Hendry hooked me up with one of these from his overstock, whatta guy!

Look - Pours black as night with slight red around the edges. A glorious soapy head dissipates at a medium pace, leaving sticky lacing all over. Fresh.

Smell - Roasted (caramel/chocolate) malts and a surprising blast of piney hops.

Taste - Creamy roasted malts followed by some earthiness, then some slight piney hops, then back to earthy and the roasted malts. Gets better and more complex as it warms.

Mouthfeel - Both stick and toasty dry, rests rather burnt but not in a bad way. Quite drinkable.

Overall - Quite well done. I am not usually big into black IPA style, but this one is well crafted. Word of advice, let this brew warm up a bit, it definitely enhances it quite a bit.

Toast from Lawson's Finest Liquids