Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Dry-Hopped On The High Seas Caribbean-Style IPA | Cigar City Brewing

Dry-Hopped On The High Seas Caribbean-Style IPADry-Hopped On The High Seas Caribbean-Style IPA
3.9/5

Batch 3 - Experimental hop #529

Added by SkinnyT on 10-02-2013

4.25/5  rDev +9%

3.98/5  rDev +2.1%

A: The beer is slightly hazy amber yellow in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high off white head that has good retention properties and gradually died down, consistently leaving a short head covering the surface and lots of lacy rings of bubbles down the sides of the glass.
S: Moderately strong aromas of grapefruit are present in the noseā€”it's almost like you are sniffing a glass of fresh grapefruit juice.
T: Much like the smell, the taste his packed with lots of grapefruit flavors from the hops but only has just shy of a moderate amount of associated bitterness. The grapefruit flavors linger through the aftertaste. The bitterness seems to become a little stronger as the beer warms up.
M: It feels medium-bodied and slightly crisp on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: If you like grapefruit, you'll really enjoy this dry hopped beer as it completely dominates the smell and taste.

4.05/5  rDev +3.8%

Appearance: Arrives with an inch or so of foam capping the clear amber liquid: curtains of lace sheet the pint glass

Smell: Toasty and biscuity, with tropical fruit aromatics

Taste: The toasted malt flavors kick in, at first, with the tropical fruit flavors (papaya, white grapefruit and lychee) building in the middle; rather piney in the finish with lingering residual sweetness

Mouthfeel: Medium body with crisp carbonation

Overall: Hard to discern exactly what makes this a Caribbean IPA; still, I rather enjoy it

4.36/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I CANnot hold back my elation at the idea that my 2,500th review on this site is in support of The CANQuest (TM)! It has been a long, arduous journey and while there has recently been a pooh-poohing of "tickers" on this site, when you review nearly 1,000 CANned beers, you may talk to me.

From the CAN: "Drink fresh! Do not age! Pour gently into a glass."; "A tropical IPA dry-hopped on the high seas with one of our favorite hops, Simcoe."

The Crack! revealed another brimful craft CAN and I would have liked to have employed an inverted Glug, but I made a promise to my ex-Old Lady that I would not do so if the label specifically forbade it. This is one of those instances. Once underway, I did get a little more aggressive so as to build up some head and release the esters, which is my underlying reason. This all resulted in a finger-and-a-half of dense, rocky, tawny head with decent retention. Color was a slightly hazy coppery-amber (SRM = > 13, < 17). Nose was absolutely tropical, evoking coconut, papaya, mango, tangerine and even banana. I always think of a roll of Tropical Fruit Life Savers from when I was a kid. I used to take one of each flavor and pop all of them in my mouth at once and this is of what I am reminded. Great lacing had begun to form as I typed. The mouthfeel was medium and the taste was not as pronounced on the tongue as it had been on the nose, but it was still quite tropical. Fruity and bitter at once - what a sensation. The finish was dry, not downright gasping, but enough to really get my attention. I would absolutely drink more of this and especially on Hula in the Coola Day (01 Feb, annually).

3.85/5  rDev -1.3%

From 10/12/13 notes. Had this on tap at The Jeffrey at their grand opening party. A 14 oz. pour into a tulip, ran $8...was excited for this one.

a - Pours a somewhat hazy, medium bright orange color with one inch of off white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of fruity malts, toasted malts, citrus hops, grapefruit juice, lemon, and floral hops. Nice and hoppy, pretty good nose.

t - Tastes of citrus hops, fruity malts, toasted malts, light floral hops, with a medium bitter bite to it. Decent, not as hoppy as the nose and bitter...a step down for me.

m - Medium body and moderate to high carbonation. Medium bitter bite in the mouthfeel.

o - Overall a decent DIPA, though I was slightly disappointed as I had high hopes for this one. Nose was good but the taste was more malty and less hoppy, and had a decent bitter bite to it. Worth checking out but not a hop bomb or anything.

3.43/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. can poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Clear golden orange. My CCB snifter can't hold the whole can, so the head overflows. Silly snifters that hold exactly 12 oz. Laces quite nicely. Disparate islands of foam on the surface.

Smell - Simcoe is strong. Grapefruit and that garlic/onion aroma. Sweetness dampens it a smidge, allowing some tropical fruits through.

Taste - Grapefruit hop, nothing as exciting as the smell. Some tropical fruits and an estery fruitiness that belies some unintended fermentation. At least, that's how I interpret it. Sweet caramel toastiness from the malt.

Mouthfeel - Fairly bitter. Medium carbonation. I didn't anticipate this being as large as it is.

Overall - Well, it's a CCB IPA. They're never perfect, but they're always decent. No exception here. I suppose I was imagining more of a "Boat Beer" from the name. Not that I ever go out on a boat, but if I did, I would want something lighter.

3.85/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I had this on tap at Warwick served chilled in a pint.
The tap list did not differentiate the hop utilized, but it was the first I heard of this beer so I am willing to guess it was the simcoe

The color is tarnished golden with amber accents and tinge of rust with thick beige cream with very fine bead and ringlets of lace collect. The smell is kind of muted, I am not sure if it is the temperature it is served at or the beer ... but as it warms it becomes piney with a mild smell of grapefruit and mild herbal odor with light fruity yeast ester. The feel is very good moderately bitter with generally higher than average carbonation semi-dry finish with low alcohol influence.

The taste is very good with gentle bitterness up front leading to a fruity and citrus taste with light sweetness and slight pine element from the hops with dry bitterness in the backend and almost grassy finish but low alcohol in the taste. Overall I enjoyed this -solid but not that out of the ordinary in a sea of IPA's on the market(pun intended) still well worth trying.

Dry-Hopped On The High Seas Caribbean-Style IPA from Cigar City Brewing