Hopped On The High Seas Dry - Hopped With: AHTANUM | Cigar City Brewing

Hopped On The High Seas Dry - Hopped With: AHTANUMHopped On The High Seas Dry - Hopped With: AHTANUM
3.79/5
Very Good

Cigar City Brewing
Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by cyrushire on 01-10-2014

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

4.14/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

It's Easter Sunday and I am trying to reduce some of the backlog of CANQuest (TM) CANs that built up while awaiting picture approval, name correction, time, money, the bevy of bikini-clad beauties to depart the premises, the Russians to get the f**k out of the Crimean Peninsula ... Suffice it to say that things were getting away from me and I am CANmitted to getting back on an even keel.

From the CAN: "Drink fresh! Do not age! Pour gently into a glass."; "A tropical IPA dry-hopped on the high seas with one of our favorite hops: Ahtanum"; "Caribbean-style ale".

A nice, loud Crack! presented a brimful craft CAN, but these guys must have been talking to my Old Lady, who was scandalized by the inverted Glug. It's beer, kids! It ain't gonna bruise, but I promised that I would use a gentle pour when so directed. I am a self-avowed hophead, but I CANfess to ignorance regarding this particular varietal. No pre-CANceived notions will come into play during this review. I still managed just better than a finger of dense, eggshell-white head with good retention from my pour. Color was a deep-gold (SRM = > 5, < 7) with floaties in evidence, but if it was okay for the Humidor IPA, it does not deserve to be dunned here. The unholy trio of Midas, Croesus and Mammon suddenly appeared, slavering for a taste. Nose smelled of tangerines, oranges, grapefruit, highly citrusy. Suddenly, the long-dormant hops monkey on my back awoke and began its incessant chatter! I reached into the nearby drawer, pulled out the rubber hose set aside for just this purpose, tied off, and hit a vein. The hops washed through my system like an old friend, unseen for far too long. I slowly put the CAN and the glass on the counter and sat back as the hops did their job. Being that it was also 4-20 Day, I dipped my J in the beer and sparked up. The mouthfeel was medium, but the intensity of the hops was like I had poured hydrofluoric acid on my tongue. It burnt away all of the old, weak, overused taste buds and then began to worm its way into all of the soft, exposed surfaces. One site suggests Ahtanum as an alternative to Cascade or Amarillo, but this was plenty for me. The finish was as dry as the Zephyr winds blowing across the Sahara Desert and I was left gasping for air. Great stuff!

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%