Swinging Hammers

Gots
SCORE
n/a
Notes: El Catador Club 11th Edition, bottle #3

Bourbon Barrel-aged Imperial Stout with Tahitian Vanilla Beans, Graham Crackers and Cacao Nibs.

What better way to reward yourself after swinging hammers, driving nails and generally working hard than this dessert-inspired construct? Enjoy before, during, and after construction.

Tasting Notes:
Rich aromas of fudge, molasses, and vanilla macaron dominate the nose with gingerbread and bourbon spice punctuating. Malted milk balls, dark chocolate and toffee on the tongue give way to cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla while bourbon warmth and wood tannins lend structure to this graham cracker-infused treat.
Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 5 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
maximum12 from Minnesota

El Cat #11 again. 750ML bottle again. I keep one loaded with sand under the bed in case of home invasion. Pretty sure I’d have the upper hand. Split with my wife.

Black, & my glass is sweating. The nose is largely vanilla & (because I’m highly suggestible) gingerbread, which I’m not sure I’ve ever actually placed in my mouth. Though I do often pick bits & pieces up off the counter & eat them. Sometimes that hasn’t turned out well.

Swinging Hammers is richer than Gordon Gekko. Massive foundation of malts holds up a surprisingly subtle pastry stout, if that isn’t a contradiction in terms. Low sack of bourbon carries through to the finish, along with sweet vanilla, quiet chocolates, oak rising into the sinuses, with a touch of oak. Nougat. Smooth. Lovely.

Very good beer bordering on excellent. Love you.

Jun 07, 2020