Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout | Cigar City Brewing

Availability: Summer

Added by BigMcLargeHuge on 11-17-2008

#301

Ratings: 2,792 |  Reviews: 590

Potentially impressive beer, but unfortunately lacked any carbonation, non whatsoever. I have heard that carbonation may be an issue with this batch, and this bottle is indeed a victim. Purchased ~10/2010 from Broudy's Liquors in Jacksonville Beach, FL. This was a recently delivered batch in October 2010. I opened the 750ml bottle on 1/17/2011 which had been cellared at 68F for ~ 3 months, opened on time in January as suggested on the bottle. This is the first problem Cigar City beer I have ever drank over the past 2 years more than a couple dozen or so 750 bottles and kegged beers.

Dark brown/black in color with no head or carbonation.
Aromas of dark roasted malts, coffee, unsweetened cocoa.
Tastes as it smells, with some mildly sweet boozy abv, much less bitter than I have seen others noted.
Mouthfeel is full bodied, as thick as a beer can get. Poured like motor oil on a cold day, with no carbonation at all.

I hope to try this again with proper carbonation. Seems like an impressive big daddy stout when enjoyed as intended. I will standby for another taste.

3.03/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 2.75

Poured from bottle into KBS snifter glass - bottle was 2012, drank in 2014. Pours like a RIS should - jet black, viscous and it instantly creates a thick foamy head, mocha in color.

Aroma is predominantly soy sauce, very salty and somewhat sour - hints of molasses and notes of chocolate and over-ripened dried fruit behind the soy. Taste is quite similar to the nose, not very enjoyable. It is drinkable but I expected much, much more.

Mouthfeel is great - its thick, syrupy and allows you to taste the full spectrum of flavors in the beer (quite unfortunately in this instance).

Overall - I would give this brew another shot fresh, but aged 2 years - I must say this is quite the disappointment.

3.06/5  rDev -30%

Poured into a wine glass from a 750 ml. bottle. The pour is rich and black yet offers not even a hint of carbonation. Looks like a glass of cabernet to me. Not even a hiss upon opening should have been a sign, yet pouring half off into a 330 ml. bottle for recapping did show a hint of carbonation and the nose shows no sign of oxygen issues fortunately.

Nose of dark chocolate, some coffee and brown sugar and a hint of wafting alcohol.

Flavor is sweet and viscous, suffering to a degree from the lack of carbonation. Sweetened dark chocolate, bit of cocoa powder and roasted coffee on the finish. Feel is decent for being so flat but seems as though it would be rather light if well carbonated.

Rather slick and improves a bit in flavor with warming. Still the carbonation issue, surely not unique to my bottle, beats this beer down significantly.

3.07/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.25

MZ is ok. nothing crazy. I like the sherry aged better

3.08/5  rDev -29.5%

Poured into a snifter on 10/2/11

It appears to be dated July 13th, 2011

Many thanks to PDXHops for the chance to try this

This has to be the darkest beer I've ever seen poured. It's such a thick, sludgy drizzle and almost jet black even before getting comfortable in the glass. I had to aggravate the pour after a few moments of nary a wisp of foam; by the time I was done there was about an inch and a half of hot chocolate colored foam in it's smooth "might as well be nitro" glory. The head drops to a much thinner layer. It looked like a lot of lace would catch but alas, that isn't the case. Some webbed lace does hold on the second pour.

The aroma is just as loud as the appearance, though I'm not entirely sure that's a good thing in this case. Seems like there is just too much concentration of intense aromas. Viciously burnt and scorched chocolate lead off and is had in droves. Some overly tangy roasted notes are worked in, too. I love burnt, charred and roasted qualities in beer, but this is just a bit over the top. Nips of butter toffee and burnt coffee dregs occasionally make known their presence. Has a bit of acidity that calls to mind something akin to tomato paste; oh, you've come to visit me again, tomato paste aromatics. Meh. At least there's no indication of the 11% abv.

Come sippin' time the flavors are all sorts of heavy-handed. Lots of burnt chocolate sit atop notes of coffee dregs and burnt molasses. Earthy and a tad nutty at times (though admittedly, both are hardly the focal point here). Tangy dark fruit tones, most notable is prune. Hints of raisins. While this certainly has a faint amount of sugary sweetness, it isn't disgustingly sweet. That said, it's something of a burnt mess regardless; it just doesn't fully tip the scale to burnt, sweet mess. Not that it's all that far off, though. The sugars start to take a more prominent stance as the beer warms up.

The mouthfeel is every bit as thick and heavy as everything else about this beer. This is a massively heavy beer. Interestingly enough, it isn't overly viscous or slick with alcohol. Once again, I'm impressed with how hot this beer isn't. Carbonation is working overtime to move this beer and succeeds without being too vigorous for the style; indeed, there is a rolling feel to the carbonation which adds a puffiness (not that this beer needs anything to bolster it's overall feel). Heck, by the end of the glass this has an almost creamy feel. Finishes roasty and tangy with a hint of cocoa but the finish is comparatively clean, considering.

I find this beer to be a toss up of some good things and bad things without ever swinging terribly far in either direction. For whatever reason, the 11% abv doesn't strike me as such; it's not hot and, to be honest, it isn't even warming. Even still, this beer is a bit much, even for me. I finished a good 3/4ths of the bottle but wanted to cut my caloric losses at that point.

3.14/5  rDev -28.1%

Was expecting a bit more flavor. Still a smooth stout.

3.15/5  rDev -27.9%

Summer 2010 release.

A: Very dark black, very hard pour creates a minimal dark brown head that lasts for a very short time. No lacing left around the glass and barely any bubbles around the rim of the glass after the initial head dies.

S: sweet. dark,sugary smell, a bit of dark chocolate and bitterness that either goes along with the dark chocolate or is a coffee like scent, a little bit of dark fruit in there too, and a bit of alcohol smell as well.

T: Overpoweringly sweet. The sweetness is too much for me to be able to enjoy any of the other flavors that may be present in the beer. Mostly very dark sweet chocolate, some raisins or dark fruit mixed in, molasses, and just a touch of bitterness. Slight bitterness akin to dark chocolate and coffee on the aftertaste. I think i enjoy the aftertaste of the beer much more than the initial flavor.

M: Thick and syrupy. Not really any carbonation present. Neither of which is automatically a bad thing, but the sweetness of the taste combined with the syrupy consistency of the beer isn't too appealing.

O: A bit of a disappointment for me, overly sweet and this sweetness is too prominent in the flavor profile for me. I had been looking forward to trying this beer for a long time. This is from the batch that I had heard there were carbonation issues with some of the bottles, and it seems like this could be a bottle affected by it(although never having had this beer before I cannot be sure). I don't know if I drank this a few months earlier if the sweetness wouldn't have been as intense, of if the carbonation may have been slightly higher, but I wish I would have tried it earlier. Not a terrible beer, but I wish I had about 6 ounces of it and not the 2/3rds of a bottle that I do. Would like to try again sometime to see if the over sweetness that I am getting out of this beer and lack of carbonation are a fluke, or if that is just how this beer is. That being said, it really doesn't taste like 11% and I am soldiering on and putting it down a little quicker than most other beers of this strength, maybe just because I want to move on to something else.

3.27/5  rDev -25.2%

750ml bottle into brandy snifter. Thanks to the generous BA who traded me this one.

A: Pours pitch black with an extremely unimpressive collection of bubbles that I guess is supposed to be considered a head. A couple of tiny soapy specs of lace were left down the glass.
S: Notes of chocolate, molasses, and a hint of toffee. Not a very smelly beer.
T: Rich notes of bitter dark chocolate, sweet fudge brownies, dark roasted malts, and a hint of caramel. I get a touch of coffee in the finish, and the aftertaste contains notes of molasses and faint earthy hops.
M: Thick body, slick and chewy mouthfeel, but almost no carbonation. This beer seriously needs some bubbles. Alcohol is hidden very well.
O: I was a bit let down by this one. The flavor is good but not very complex, and while the body is thick the carbonation is borderline watery. Hopefully this is just bottle variation, as fuller carbonation would be a drastic increase.

Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing