Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) | Cigar City Brewing

Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series)Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series)
4.17/5

Cigar City Brewing
Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by BigMcLargeHuge on 11-17-2008

4.47/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This poured out as a dark black color with a thin brown head on top. The smell of the beer is mostly made up of heavy amounts of roasted malts, there is a touch of cedar in there as well though. The taste is very similar to the regular Zhukov but again the cedar comes into play with some subtle tangy spicy notes in the finish. Overall it's a great stout.

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%

750 ml capped bottle, 2009 vintage, thanks jdubfl.

Pours into my snifter a dense black, with no light even on the edges. The head is the best ive seen, it is cocoa brown and looks like chocolate creme. It stick around nicely leaving some very nice lacing behind.

The smell is pretty wild on this one, like no beer I have smelled before, thanks to the cedar. Along with the fresh cedar there is massive amounts of malt and a huge chocolate presence. This is also one of my favorite smelling brews. There is a tiny hint of sourness and wine way underneath too. It is totally exotic, but very well executed.

This one tastes very delicious. The malts are very easy to pick out and leave layers of flavor as you go. The cedar is a huge presence in the taste and it tastes good. It is a totally different beast than oak, it melds with the bitterness expertly creating almost a piney flavor. It is sweet and has a decent alcohol presence but neither become overpowering.

The mouthfeel could be less carbonated, but for the most part it is pretty good. My mouth has gotten really sticky while drinking this stuff.

This stout is jam packed with flavor, it isn't for the faint of heart, I wish I had another bottle to age.

4.44/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.43/5  rDev +6.2%

750ml bottle purchased at Cigar City Brewery, in Tampa, FL.

A- Motor oil. Tar. Ink. Take your pick. This stuff is pours as thick and black as any beer I have seen. After a vigorous pour, the minimal tan head quickly recedes to the edges of the glass. It almost stains the sides as I sip and leaves no lacing.
S- Heavy roasted malts with dark fruits and cedar in the background. A little bit of chocolate. Not as powerful as I would expect from a beer of this size.
T- Talk about complex. Heavy roasted malt in the beginning, quickly surpassed by dark fruits (plums, figs, currants), cedar, and chocolate. No alcohol detected, which is nice for an 11% stout. The cedar is a bit muted at first but really comes out as the beer warms. My only compliant would be that its amost a bit TOO roasty.
M - Thick, viscous and chewy. A full-bodied stout with an almost creamy mouthfeel. Very nice.
D- Without saying, this was hands down a sipper, yet for a stout of this size it was incredibly "drinkable." Granted, finishing an entire 750ml by myself was difficult, but the thanksgiving dinner I had just eaten didn't help. I'm glad I've got four more bottles.

Overall - My second Cigar City brew, and easily the better of the two. The cedar really adds another layer of complexity to the beer that overpowered the Cedar Aged Maduro Brown. A world class stout, highly recommended to split with some friends.

4.42/5  rDev +6%

On-tap at the Brewery.
Poured into a CC snifter. Opague black with a nice creamy lighter brown heading. Good lacing throughout the tasting.

Nose is mostly of spanish cedar with a solid caramel and mocha malt backing.Slight hop presence as well in the nose.

Taste is not far off from the nose. A heavy first wave of cedar,a much bigger hop bite than anticipated takes over and settles to a hotter boozey finish.

A little thin and boozier than most Imperial Stouts but not bad in anyway. Decent carbonation.

Not bad at all. I love the touch of spanish cedar it really pulls through in this beer.

4.38/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at CCB

A-Pours black, black, black with a 1/2" mocha colored head that has good retention and leaves some spotty lace. Looks great.

S-A nice roasty malt greets first then the cedar comes in providing a nice aromatic presence. Coffee, chocolate, dark fruit also come in. I thought at 11.5% I'd sniff a whiff of booze, but there is none here. It is a very pleasant nose, though I wish it was a bit more prominent.

T-Rich roasted malt, hints of cedar and smoke, a bit of booze (there it is!), hints of chocolate, dark fruit and coffee. A tinge of sweetness too. Very good.

M-Rich, lush, full bodied, coating. The carb level on this is spot on in my book (unlike the one bottle of Zhukov I had that was flat, flat, flat).

O-This is an excellent stout. The cedar provides an interesting twist to this one. I'll be sure and pick up some of this before I head out of town.

4.37/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours an opaque pitch black with two fingers of creamy dark brown foam, settles in a couple of minutes to a quarter inch, leaving delicate lace down the glass. Smell: tons of dark chocolate, toasted brown bread, medium roast, notes of smoke, currants and cedar. Taste: dark chocolate, black currant, toasted pumpernickel, medium roast coffee note, towards the end of the sip dark brown sugar and the slightly peppery flavor imparted by cedar. Medium+ bodied, lowish carbonation but a nice balance of syrupy and creamy. Alcohol has been relaxed. Pretty excellent.

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

I've had this a couple times, most recently thanks to Eric (TurdFurgison). Served in a wine glass.

A - Looks like Zhukov. Angry dark mocha foam that quickly dissipates to a thin collar. Pitch black body. Glass-coating brownish oily film.

S - Cedar! But once you get past the cedar there's a hefty amount of dark chocolate, and a hint of vanilla as well. I also get citrus, which I think is my brain playing associative tricks on me.

T - The taste is much more mellow with the cedar influence, and is much better integrated than the last time I had this beer (April 2010). It's a nice blend of cedar, vanilla, chocolate cake, smoke, and light espresso. Finishes with light bitterness. I'm not sure if it's the age or the cedar-aging but the scorched Earth quality I dislike in regular Zhukov has been blunted here.

M - Nice carbonation that is sufficient to keep this from getting syrupy. Full-bodied, sticky finish, and lightly tannic as well. Alcohol is well-hidden.

D - This has gotten a lot better in the last year or so. It was strangely compelling and got better the more I had. I refilled my glass a few times, and we had no problem finishing it.

4.34/5  rDev +4.1%

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

Generously shared by Eric, the artist formerly known as TurdFurgison.

A - Black beer with a tightly bubbled brown head that looked really nice. Minor spots left on the outside.

S - Smells like a nicely sweet and roasted stout, if you were drinking it locked in a cedar chest. Wow, tons and tons of cedar along with the roasted malts, a little cocoa, molasses, tobacco. Shocking at first, but it kind of grew on me.

T - The taste grew on me even more. Once you got used to the cedar it was a very smooth, unique beer with lots of big stout taste, a little on the sweet side, but with some complimentary and sweetness cutting cedar presence. I really liked this a lot and had multiple pours.

M - Smooth, creamy, full bodied.

O - I doubt this will be for everyone, but I really enjoyed this beer and drank a surprising amount of it. Would love to have it again.

Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) from Cigar City Brewing