Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) | Cigar City Brewing

Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series)Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series)

Cigar City Brewing
Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by BigMcLargeHuge on 11-17-2008

4.1

4.34/5  rDev +5.9%

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

I've had this a couple times, most recently thanks to Eric (TurdFurgison). Served in a wine glass.

A - Looks like Zhukov. Angry dark mocha foam that quickly dissipates to a thin collar. Pitch black body. Glass-coating brownish oily film.

S - Cedar! But once you get past the cedar there's a hefty amount of dark chocolate, and a hint of vanilla as well. I also get citrus, which I think is my brain playing associative tricks on me.

T - The taste is much more mellow with the cedar influence, and is much better integrated than the last time I had this beer (April 2010). It's a nice blend of cedar, vanilla, chocolate cake, smoke, and light espresso. Finishes with light bitterness. I'm not sure if it's the age or the cedar-aging but the scorched Earth quality I dislike in regular Zhukov has been blunted here.

M - Nice carbonation that is sufficient to keep this from getting syrupy. Full-bodied, sticky finish, and lightly tannic as well. Alcohol is well-hidden.

D - This has gotten a lot better in the last year or so. It was strangely compelling and got better the more I had. I refilled my glass a few times, and we had no problem finishing it.

3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

Ditmier busted this out at the RIS tasting last weekend.... Thanks homeboy!! Reviewed from notes.

Beautiful pouring... but the thin tan head died really quickly... no lacing..

coffee... cocoa... dark fruity esters and a bunch of cedar.... too much for my liking, but it adds an interesting complexity that I may just have to learn to appreciate ;-)

Traditional RIS flavors with a nice spike of plum and some sour cherry essence.. the cedar is wayy higher than the aroma... tobacco and it reminds me of my grandma's winter cedar chest growing up.. a bit smokey/char... good medium full body with a lite yet smooth carbonation.

Thanks again Eric for bringing the Big Guns! You always do.

4/4/4/4/3.5

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

3.92/5  rDev -4.4%

Bottle shared by wetherel on 12/19/2009. Thanks! The beer flows from the bottle and appears black and viscous with a one finger light brown head.

The nose is earthy, with notes of toasted cedar. It's like walking in a forest (of Cedar trees), stopping, dropping to one knee, taking a bit of soil between your cupped bands, and bringing it to your nose to partake in the wonders of nature. The malt is very roasted. Light vanilla is evident. I detect a little chocolate and tobacco. Dark fruits linger in the distance.

The flavor is of chocolate with an ashen, roasted, tannic, bitter, astringent, and woody quality. The cedar doesn't translate well to the flavor, but it's not particularly offensive, and there are redeeming qualities. This is a robust RIS with an emphasis on the roast. The finish is somewhat harsh, with notes of roasted malt, chocolate, and wood

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

3.78/5  rDev -7.8%

Generously shared amongst seven by blisscent. 2009 vintage served in my 25cl Allagash chalice. Pours with a quarter inch mocha-colored head that quickly dissipated. Body was inky black - one of the darkest RIS's I've ever had. No lacing, but some spots with weak adhesion. Wow, lost of cedar coming off the nose - smells like a humidor, with a sweet malty quality in the back, and a hint of licorice. Taste consistent with nose - cedar, spicy malty. Mouthfeel is medium-full and lightly effervescent. Slightly chewy, but very dry - the driest RIS I've ever had, and not a quality I've come to associate with the style. An interesting brew, but the cedar is really overwhelming. Alcohol is well-hidden and the assertiveness of the beer definitely mellows as it warms over time, but this one is clearly meant for sharing.

4.3/5  rDev +4.9%

Thanks to msulinksi & moose3285 for sending me bottles of this brew: having sampled it in small quantities at three tastings recently, I'm eager to have a full pour. Solid 750 ML bottles split in two.

Pour is traditional solid-tar black. Smell is cedar closet, huge sweet malts, more cedar.

Cedar Aged Zhukov's is like standing in a cedar sawmill with bronchitis caused by cedar sawdust. Two by fours of cedar carpet-bomb the palate within milliseconds of the first sip. The brewery's patented charred roast - roasted cedar, in all likelihood - is secondary. Ghost malt adds imperceptible sweetness. Lovely stickiness, no alcohol. The cedar onslaught takes a bit of getting used to, but once you do, I'm jazzing to drink this like river water.

I'm a sucker for regular Zhukov's, a fan of wood-aged beers, & this is a high-class marriage of both. One could argue it is one note, it's too much, it's this, it's that. All true. And delicious too. Excellent beer.

3.98/5  rDev -2.9%

Thanks to Eric (turd) for this one. 2009 bottle poured into a tulip. I was dreading to try this after other Humidor series, but this surprisingly good...This is a looker, a midnight black body with a dark tan head that rises about three full fingers. The heads falls a touch to fast without leaving much of a cap but great lacing at first...As expected the aroma is mostly cedar, strong, astringent, yet fresh and not totally overbearing as lots of dark chocolate adds balance. I also get some fresh tobacco leaves, really nice touch. At points the cedar comes across very strong but it dies and lets other things show, including a touch of mint leaves and alcohol...The cedar takes a backseat on the taste. Its still there and strong but doesn't dominate and makes this drinkable as I came back for a couple more glasses. The chocolate really holds up well here and is actually the main player. Cedar accents with some smoke and vanilla. Hate to say it, this is good!

I had no expectations this would be good. Stay away from cedar aged ipas but the stout holds up. This isn't something I would drink several times, not could I finish a bottle myself. However, its a successful change of pace that I would suggest everyone trying.

3.85/5  rDev -6.1%

Pours a dark mocha color with foam that quickly dissipates to a thin collar. Pitch black body with glass-coating brownish oily film.

Aromas begin straight cedar box, but once you get past the wood there's a hefty amount of dark chocolate, and a hint of vanilla as well. Really dark toasted caramel in the background.

The taste is much more mellow with the cedar influence, and is much better integrated than I expected. It's a nice blend of cedar, chocolate cake, smoke and light espresso. Finishes with light bitterness. As it warms I get more dark chocolate, roasted malts, coffee, alcohol, wood, toasted malts, bready malts and light vanilla. Not as sweet as the nose and a tiny step down.

The mouthfeel is full bodied with light carbonation that is sufficient to keep this from getting syrupy, but just barely. Quite a sticky finish and lightly tannic as well. Thankfully the alcohol is well-hidden.

Overall this is another big boy stout that requires sharing. It's a nice interpretation/variation of the Zhukov, but I like "the version" with cocoa nib, cinnamon, chiles and vanilla beans better. :-) Not really worth seeking out as it just tastes like Zhukov and a cigar box had a baby. Glad I tried it and didn't have to drink the whole bottle by myself.

Big thanks to Greg (googzoid10) for the bottle! I haven't had the standard Zhukov's yet, but this is the second aged version (my first was the brandy) and I've really enjoyed them both.

This pours dark, I guess you could call it black, with a thin tan head. I braced for a strong cedar nose (having tried the Jai Alai and Gruit Humidor series last year) but the cedar was really a minor component here. What comes through most strongly are RIS aromas, roasted malts and a little cocoa, then after all that is processed I get a little cedar at the end.

On tasting, the cedar makes its presence known. Unlike the aroma it's more of a defining characteristic in the taste, but in a way that worked very well for me. I think a strong RIS is a better choice for cedar aging than, say, an IPA, as the stout can keep a lot of its original flavor. At least that's based on the few I've tried from Cigar City.

Lots of sweet roasty malts, a little caramel malt too, some cocoa and what have you. Plus cedar, which melds with the flavors nicely. Based on some things I heard while sharing this bottle, there's a chance that a little age has helped the flavors come together.

Nice thick mouthfeel, not so much alcohol apparent in taste or by burn, very easy drinking. An odd beer maybe, but one I fully recommend.

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%

Big thanks goes out to my boy Jefe73 for sending me this one in a past trade! Shared this one with everyone at cmrillo’s 40 Beers* @ 40 Birthday Bash! Served from bottle into a Cigar City snifter. Poured pitch black with a minimal brown head that subsided to basically none quickly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, roasted malt, cedar, dark chocolate, and spices. The flavor was of sweet malt, roasted malt, cedar, dark chocolate, spices, and sweet alcohol. It had a heavy feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a good brew. I really like the kiss of cedar on this one that the Humidor Series added on this one. The nice woodiness on this one made it seem like it was added in an uber-barrel, but left out some of the undertones you pick up on using barrels. A really well thoughout-out brew that I’m glad I got the chance to try.

Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) from Cigar City Brewing