Jai Alai IPA | Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing
Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Pours copper in color with notes of citrus and tropical fruit in the aroma. Flavor has upfront citrus bitterness with a hint of caramel and citrus and tropical fruit hop notes in the finish.

Added by cjgator3 on 12-05-2008

Ratings: 7,799 |  Reviews: 1,491

1.5/5  rDev -64.4%

1.71/5  rDev -59.4%

Pours a clear copper color with no head or lace. Tha aroma is of bread crust and grapefruit. The flavor begins with grapefruit and caramel notes with an overpowering hop bitterness in the finish that's almost medicinal. There's a strong bitter aftertaste long after it's gone. The mouthfeel is medium-light. Cigar City Jai Alai IPA is a so-so beer that fits the style ccriteria. Not recommended.

1.75/5  rDev -58.4%

1.96/5  rDev -53.4%

2.01/5  rDev -52.3%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

2.1/5  rDev -50.1%

2.16/5  rDev -48.7%

A rigorous pour into the oversized snifter gets a thin white head that does not stay around long, but some suds do cling to the sides of the glass. Color is a murky deep orange.

S/T - Fairly similar and unimpressive in the same respects. Fully expecting hops off the bat, I'm greeted with malty, dark fruits of the prune variety. The malt body is way too much on this one, with hops taking a back seat. Some pine notes try to make an appearance in the lingering aftertaste.

M - Solid medium body, low carbonation, malty feeling for an IPA.

D - I'll try it on tap to confirm this tasting, but I won't be buying any more bottles until they put some kind of freshness dating on it. There's no way of telling if this bottle was fresh or not.

2.17/5  rDev -48.5%

Pale in color, poured fine with a good, very light colored head.

Smell was OK...seems thin, like orange or grapefruit peel ....you know how its a "thin" smell with no "body" behind it. Hops but not a robust hop smell....not very enticing. Average at best.

I was soooo disappointed in the taste and mouthfeel. Most overrated beer I have had. Tinny, no body, extremely hoppy but lacked the fullness. I don't understand the raves. Bitter hops w/ grapefruit and orange peel. Seems unbalanced and almost metallic to me. I was disappointed. I would not order this again.

2.25/5  rDev -46.6%

2.38/5  rDev -43.5%

Wow. Am i surprised by all the positive feedback on this beer. I found it to be worse than unmemorable. The flavor was too strong for a standard ipa, very alcohol tasting and not enough sweetness or bitterness to balance it. Aroma was nothing special and the mouthfeel was average. Color is a typical amber. There's not much I can say about this beer.

2.4/5  rDev -43%

Received this as part of a mixed case. Never been a big fan of IPA but after trying a few other very enjoyable examples I was looking forward to this one. Very unimpressed. Color was of your average IPA, smell was nothing special. First taste was mostly alcohol and overt bitterness (not a good hoppy bitterness either, just sour). Finished with more of the same but some light fruit and pine coming through. After beginning to enjoy IPAs more this one reminded me of what I don't like in an IPA.

2.47/5  rDev -41.3%

Cigar City Jai alai IPA was an India Pale Ale that I was really looking forward to before I got the chance to try it. After multiple attempts at trying this beer to give it the benefit of the doubt, I am still left unsatisfied.

Lots of buttery tobacco notes that I could not stand. I thought it could of been because the can was old or bad, but after 3 different attempts, this beer is hype.

This is coming from someone living in San Diego, it just might not be my jazz.
If I make it to Tampa, or see it on tap, I'll give it another go.

Jai Alai IPA from Cigar City Brewing