Jai Alai IPA | Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing
Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Pours copper in color with notes of citrus and tropical fruit in the aroma. Flavor has upfront citrus bitterness with a hint of caramel and citrus and tropical fruit hop notes in the finish.

Added by cjgator3 on 12-05-2008

#628
4.5

Ratings: 8,104 |  Reviews: 1,564
4.34/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Cigar City Brewing - Jai Alai. 7.5% ABV. 12oz can into a snifter. Canned on 2/11/16.

Look: Settles a hazy, dark orange/copper with a one finger sized white head, which leaves sticky lacing as it settles.

Smell: Hops, pine, grapefruit, citrus, tropical fruits, and light malt on the nose. Pretty strong aroma, noticeable before even pouring.

Feel: Dry feel, crisp and lively carbonation on a light body.

Taste: Strong hop taste, but somehow without bitterness, with grapefruit, orange, and light malt. Finishes dry.

Overall: Such a highly rated beer, and I can see why. Pale Ales aren't my strong point, but I do know for sure this is a great beer. Nice balance between fruit, hops, and malt, and not overly sweet or bitter.

4.12/5  rDev -3.7%

Pour: On draft at the Jeffery in NYC. Poured into a tulip. Appearance: Dark amber and orange in color with a finger of white head. Very nice bit of lacing present. Aroma: Citrus upfront. Dank and juicy hops. Floral and herbal notes are present as well. Taste: Follows the nose with dank and juicy hops. Some bitterness and a subtle malty backbone. Aftertaste: finishes sweet and a little boozy. Malt character is very present on the back end. Overall: My fist foray into Cigar City Brewing. Really liked the offering and will seek out their other beers.

4.31/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Canned 3/11 and poured 3/22. Thanks to Tony for picking this up for me when in Tampa for Hunahpu Day. Needless to say... I've wanted to try this beer for as long as I can remember. Looking forward to this almost as much as the Pliny!

Appearance: Sexy. Dark amber/orange in color with a finger of head that lingers. Nice bit of lacing. There's maybe a very slight haze to this beer.

Smell: One-of-a-kind. I know I'll get hate, but it smells slightly adjuncty. I get a corn vibe in there with spiciness... it's really hard to pinpoint. It's certainly distinct. It almost smells like a sour, dare I say? It has a sort of funk to it that I can't describe. I say this admirably -- it sort of has the aroma of old people. Truthfully tough for me to put into words. I will say that I enjoy it. It obviously has piney and some fruity hops in there (as well as a surprising amount of malt), but there's something else that I can not quite explain.

Taste/feel: Like the smell in many ways. It tastes like it smells (uh... like old people, I guess!?). There's a malt character as much as hop. Honestly, to me, this could be an APA with an ABV "oomph." It has the malt character I'd expect in an imperial IPA. The taste is hoppy and dank as all hell, but it has a dark -- not quite caramel, not quite roast -- malt flavor that makes it stand out. It almost comes off as rye? What an interesting IPA. The feel is just about right on -- moderate with a nice, active carbonation.

On the whole, I dig it. It's probably among my preferred IPAs. I really enjoy that it's more different than many other IPAs I've had, but it's not entirely a good thing. I almost find like this drinks like liquid pot. Is that a bad thing? I guess that depends on who you ask. It's quite piney at times depending on temperature, but there's not enough of a fruity flavor for me. Regardless, this is a beer I'm quite certain I could pick out in a line up, and it's one that I do enjoy. Recommended, for sure.

3.87/5  rDev -9.6%

Dark orange with a massive head that dies down to a tigerstripe surface and sticky matt lacing on the glass.

Aromas of orange, strong pine sap and light bready malt at first, then it turns lightly dank.

A melange of grapefruit, floral, and herbal notes, maybe orange blossom, and a strange bitterness, in a sort of industrial tropical vein.

I've had this several times now, including fresh on tap at the brewpub, previously when the father in law brought some up, and just now in cans at home. My preference for it has changed over the year. There is an almost sourness I never got before, smooth but less so than I remember it, and dry.

4.17/5  rDev -2.6%

4.34/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

4.68/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.51/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.04/5  rDev -5.6%

2.98/5  rDev -30.4%

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Looks like an IPA should. Solid head when poured from can, and it sticks around. Juicy taste, refreshing but sticky mouthfeel. If you like the tropical fruit taste pineapple sculpin but want something not flavored, here is your beer, and it's delicious!

EDIT: halfway through pint. How is there not fruit in this? Love it and may go out of my way to track down a case. On par with Ballast Point's Sculpin and Big Eye.

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Can into a snifter. Vibrant gold/orange with moderately good clarity. Good carbonation, and topped with a 1 finger head of fluffy, sticky, white foam. Beautiful notes of citrus, grapefruit, mango, hops, pineapple, and light malt on the nose. Super juicy aroma. The taste follows perfectly, bringing tart grapefruit, sweet citrus, slightly bitter hops, and all with a soft, delicate malt backbone. This beer is not complex, but it is masterfully well-balanced. Super juicy and wet, the only way this beer will disappoint you is if you over-hype it in your head to be something it's not. This one is amazing.

4.75/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

3.77/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Another winner. Florida has shown me a bunch.

The one is a more typical aipa. Deep yellow with fine head. Hoppy aroma. Hoppy profile that hides most of the malts. Great after taste.

Recommended.

4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

4.01/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Canned date was 2 months ago. Relatively fresh poured into a tulip glass.

L: mild orange, slightly opaque with finger width white head
S: wow this is great. A dreamsicle smell. Candy orange, papaya, mango, hints of pineapple.
T: initial bready malt, then slight pine comes through then the hop bitterness hits. Really wish the taste was similar to the smell (more tropical)
M: pretty high carbonation, hop bitterness coats tongue moderately.

Overall good beer. Wish the taste was as tropical as the nose, but I would definitely drink again.

3.88/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.97/5  rDev -7.2%

This is a good beer, but I was a little disappointed once I finally got a try it (yes, fresh). Very pretty beer but the smell is a little boring. The taste is a decent blend of citrus and tropical flavors that are overpowered by malts. Feel is nice enough, but a little too sweet and boozy for my preferences. Glad I finally got to try it, but I doubt I will go back for more.

4.66/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.87/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I first tried this in March at Cigar City in Ebor/Tampa. It wasn't bad but it was served a little on the warm side for my taste. I was recently in the Cape coral/ Ft. Myers area of Florida and had it several times at various venues. Ford's Garage, World of Beers and Doc's in Ft. Myers and The Boathouse Tiki Bar & Grille in Cape Coral. A little colder and I liked it more. Easy to drink on a hot day.

Jai Alai IPA from Cigar City Brewing