Jai Alai IPA | Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing
Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Pours copper in color with notes of citrus and tropical fruit in the aroma. Flavor has upfront citrus bitterness with a hint of caramel and citrus and tropical fruit hop notes in the finish.

Added by cjgator3 on 12-05-2008

#549
Liked:
4.29/5
Alströms:
4.5

Ratings: 7,825 |  Reviews: 1,499
4.57/5  rDev +6.5%

Woody, smokey, hoppy! Drink it daily when I'm in Key West, Florida.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.38/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.44/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

4.29/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.02/5  rDev -6.3%

12 oz. can imported from Florida to California. Pours a clear deep copper in color and blasts a good dose of hops from the can. Sports a nice iinch of soapy foam cap which shows good retention. Touch of muddled caramel on the nose along with a balanced op character.

Taste is chewy and bright with a pleasant courseness and an everpresent citric hop presence. Touch of ethanol eminates from the glass. Offers a rather complex malt structure/hop mystery. Bit woody in nature. Hop forward yet skillfullly balanced. Actually quite remarkeable and easy on the palate. Not a San Diego IPA by any means but pretty damn solid,.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.51/5  rDev -18.2%

4.75/5  rDev +10.7%

I hate IPA's and I'm giving this an extremely high rating...'nuff said.

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

4.33/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

From a can- brought back from Orlando by a friend.

Smell of apricot, orange and tangerine and a slight sweetness of malt. Unfiltered as poured in a glass, looks like rusty orange- almost what you see as the sun rises on a hazy day.

At first taste, hop flow of delicious citrus fruits, bitterness well pronounced and a lingering aftertaste of slight alcohol and orange/grapefruit rind. Sweet malt backbone and medium body.

Like many have said this is a solid IPA. Very tasty, I can almost feel like I'm in Florida drinking it. I would replace my OJ in the morning with this beer every day. Very solid- I hope to try more from Cigar City

4.62/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured from a can to a glass.

L- Deep Straw/ Gold. Tad cloudy. Finger and a half of head.

S- Tropical Fruit. Lots of mango and Pineapple. Tiny bit of malt. Citrus hops at the end.

T- Very fruit forward, but not cloying or overly sweet. Citrusy resin hops balance out the fruit nicely. Very balanced. Very different. Respect.

F- Light and crisp. Doesn't linger. I can see drinking this on the beach in summer all day. Not heavy at all.

O- Nice little Florida gem! I'm glad I got over my can hatred to try this! One of my favorites, now!

4.8/5  rDev +11.9%

4.75/5  rDev +10.7%

4.56/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.39/5  rDev +2.3%

4.16/5  rDev -3%

3.75/5  rDev -12.6%

4.72/5  rDev +10%

3.94/5  rDev -8.2%

I enjoyed this beer, and I think it held up throughout drinking the whole beer for sure. It's sweet and light, but still with enough hops for the IPA fans out there. It's very well balanced and drinkable.

Light amberish/brown color. Mine poured with a pretty big head(very white) and I let it settle for a bit.

The citrus and some other light fruits are definitely in the smell. It smells good, but not great to me at least.

The first drink I think tastes a bit fruity, but then it mellows out after you wait a bit, or have more. It's very easy to drink especially considering it is 7.5% abv.

No complaints. I'll have this beer again. I think it's great for just a solid easy to drink IPA, but still has a unique, balanced, and enjoyable taste to it.

4.47/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.7/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a can into a tulip.

A. A nice amber color with medium haze. Pours a fluffy 2 finger head.

S. Big tropical fruit and citrus aroma with a touch of white grape and slight biscuity malt. Juicy. Slight pine.

T. This is delicious. Starting with just a little malt then fading to the big hop flavors. Backing up the nose I'm getting citrus notes along with a white grape flavor and sought pine. Malt is there to perfectly balance this beer. I get a finish of orange and grapefruit rind for a minute. Very sessionable. I'm just loving this.

M. For an IPA it has a medium mouthfeel with sight carbonation. Very clean finish.

O. This beer is so good. Really lives up to the hype. Beautifully done by cigar city. I'm loving every aspect.

Jai Alai IPA from Cigar City Brewing