Jai Alai IPA | Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing
Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Pours copper in color with notes of citrus and tropical fruit in the aroma. Flavor has upfront citrus bitterness with a hint of caramel and citrus and tropical fruit hop notes in the finish.

Added by cjgator3 on 12-05-2008

#597
4.5

Ratings: 7,892 |  Reviews: 1,513

4.71/5  rDev +10%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Cigar City's Jai Alai is the definition of an East Coast IPA. It's definitely malty, so much so that you can smell the caramel coming through along with the tropical fruits of cascade and simcoe hops. There is also is a certain amount of bread-y or toastyness to the malt backbone. Overall good IPA. It used to be my favorite until I drank Fat Head's Head Hunter IPA. I've realized that I'm more of a west coast drinker than east coast over the past couple of months. Follow me on Twitter: miamibrewer305

4.22/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Tried this over nachos and World Cup soccer at On the Rox in Richmond's Shockoe Bottom neighborhood. This beer is definitely a new addition to my favorites list. Pours a hazy golden color with a huge floral, citrus and honeysuckle nose. The taste had citric hops, sweet malt, and a bitter finish. This is a sensory experience in the best of ways.

3.5/5  rDev -18.2%

4.75/5  rDev +11%

4.27/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Can

A - Dark gold/bronze, half inch of froth

S - Piny, grassy, barley, hops

T - Fresh, moderately hoppy, malty but clean

M - Medium bodied, right amount of carbonation

O - Given its availability, it's an easy choice, especially in the spring and summer. Good for the lake or beach.

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

4.49/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I got a can of Cigar City Brewing's Jai Alai IPA that my friends Ben and Jess brought back from their trip to the brewery, thanks guys. I've been wanting to try this beer for awhile now and this is my first time having a beer from Cigar City, but I have had a couple beers they have collaborated on and I'm excited to see how this one turns out, so lets see how it goes. No visible canning date, but I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a 12oz can into a imperial pint glass.

A- The can looks nice, but the color scheme they use makes it hard to see their logo and the information on the back, I don't think it's too eye catching. It poured a nice slightly hazy orange color that took on more of a amber and copper color when held to the light with two fingers worth of slightly off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice patchy and spotty lacing behind. This was a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness and it's followed by some great fruity hop aromas being the first to show up and it's a nice mix of citrus and tropical fruit aromas that come together to make for a juice orange and pineapple like aroma and there's a little bit of floral hops coming through in the background. Up next comes the malts which impart a light sweet and bready malt aroma. This beer had a great aroma, it was dominated by juicy and fruity hop aromas.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the fruity hops still being the first to show up and they impart all those great aspects that they did in the aroma with the citrus hops seeming to show up the most, but there's still a good amount of tropical fruit flavors along with a light floral hop flavor. Up next comes the malts which impart the same bready and sweet malt like aspects that are still on the lighter side and there's just a slight bit of doughy yeast showing up in the background. On the finish there's higher amount of medium bitterness that doesn't really linger and it had a fruity hop and sweet malt like aftertaste. This was a great tasting beer and I thought the fruity hops were showcased very nicely.

M- Smooth, clean, crisp, fairly refreshing, slightly sticky, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a great mouthfeel and it worked really well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a great beer and I thought it was a great example of an American IPA, it was just dominated by fruity hops and I didn't mind it one bit, sure it wasn't that balanced, but the hop profile was so nice that I didn't really think about it too much. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, clean, crisp, fairly refreshing, slightly sticky, not too filling and the taste did a great job at holding my attention, If I had a bunch of these I would have no problem taking out a six pack throughout the day, especially on a warm summer day. What I liked the most about this beer was the hop profile, it was great and it was really juicy and fruity. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, there wasn't a single thing about this beer that I disliked or would change, it's great just the way it is. I would recommend this to just about everyone, I think it lives up to being called a must try beer. I would for sure buy some if I ever saw it and if I knew it was fresh and I hope Cigar City makes it to Michigan one of theses days. All in all I was impressed with this beer and I was happy that It lived up to the hype, I now see why this beer is sought after, it's just a great beer with good drinkability, it's got a lot of appeal to it. So far this is up there as one of the best American IPA's I've had. This beer made for a great first impression for Cigar City and I would love to try more of their beers. Great job guys, this is one world class IPA, keep up the great work.

4.75/5  rDev +11%