Jai Alai IPA | Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing
Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Pours copper in color with notes of citrus and tropical fruit in the aroma. Flavor has upfront citrus bitterness with a hint of caramel and citrus and tropical fruit hop notes in the finish.

Added by cjgator3 on 12-05-2008

#595
4.5

Ratings: 7,890 |  Reviews: 1,513

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Burnished copper in the glass that pretty. Smell is sweet and tropical -- almost like you can feel the humidity. Lots of guava, mango and pineapple, but less on the citrus front. This is a bit less forward hop forward than a lot of IPAs. The hops are buoyed by a thick syrupy malt that sticks to the tongue. Overall, a very nice beer that is dangerously sessionable.

4.31/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - Pours a cloudy orange / amber with two fingers of off white head. Nice sticky ring after each drink. Spotty lace clings.

S - Fresh oily hops, resinous, piney, tropical fruits, some malts in the back end.

T - Layers of hops - fresh and oily citrus, fruity, grapefruit, nicely balanced with malts. Smooth and creamy mouth feel.

O - This in one ass kicking IPA that drinks dangerously easy. I wish I could get this all the time. Thanks to Nick for bringing this back from Spring Break.

3.59/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this last night. It was on my "to drink" list and rated higher than stone's to-go ipa I had in my hand. So I put the to-go down and picked this up. Big mistake #1. I also bought a Lagunitas Hop Stoopid for the long ride home (shhhh, don't tell anyone), which I'm sure didn't help Jai Ali in comparison, mistake #2. When I got home, my beer geek brother-in-law and I got to tasting and dissecting.

It pours darker and richer than I would have imagined.
Pretty, thick, deceiving head.
The smell was decent, but muted, and you could almost smell the taste of an off balanced, overpowering bitterness that would not allow this to be a daily drinker.
The taste, oh the taste. It is bitter. It is hoppy, but not in a great way. It is citrusy, but not in a good way.

Don't get me wrong, I wanted to try it and I did, and I have zero regrets. I like trying new beers and checking them off my list. But this is not one that I will come back to.

4.02/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.62/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a can. Dated 1/28/14 so it's a bit older. Pours a golden amber with a white head. A bit darker than most IPAs. The nose isn't too strong but there's a lot of citrus and just a bit of tropical fruit. Taste follows the nose mostly. Citrus up front with tropical fruit in the finish. Bitterness isn't too overpowering. Mouthfeel is a bit sticky. Hopefully this is just an age issue. It feels a bit heavy to me. Overall this is pretty great. I wish I could get my hands on a fresher can though.

Re-review

Canned 9/22/14 so this is super fresh. Thanks to One1Asterisk for the trade! Smell is just a huge amount of orange juice. Maybe some tropical fruit and a touch of pine. Taste follows the smell. Just loads of orange juice. A really great malt backbone too. I gotta say this is one of those beers you gotta drink fresh or else there's no point. Last time I got a lot of malt sweetness, but this is almost perfect in taste. Not a hint of alcohol either.

Jai Alai IPA from Cigar City Brewing